Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
sciacallo010

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#351 Post by sciacallo010 » 23 Oct 2014 20:38

Wizard's Crown wrote:I know that im a little bit out of topic here but as we are talking about orchestras and choirs how awesome it would be if Blind Guardian play their songs live with an orchestra and then release it as a live DVD?only imagining the song "and then there was silence" i get an erection... :D
From what they said in previous interviews they thought of a future BG Open Air 2 with a real orchestra where they will play (maybe, hopefully) songs from the orchestral and if I well remember they talked about playing the whole NiME, alongside with other songs.
Of course something like that has to be recorded.
Of course if something like that will ever happen I'll buy the ticket even before they come out.
Of course if something like that will ever happen I'll camp outside the venue from a month before the actual date :mrgreen:

Dragonfly

#352 Post by Dragonfly » 23 Oct 2014 23:56

First things first - this track-by-track review made my day completely. Congratulations, comrades, for it feels like it's our well-deserved reward for all this hard wait we had to endure :) I just realized recently that it's been 51 months since "At The Edge Of Time" was released! Can you imagine that? 51 months without new Blind Guardian music. It will grow to 54 months but at least now we have something new to think about.
And it seems that it's going to be their longest LP ever which is just awesome!
Ryu, I mostly agree with your speculations concerning changes of some track titles. I just suppose that "Ashes Of Eternity" might as well have been "Winter's Coming" because the journalist emphasizes a great mix of the old and the new. Maybe "Twilight Of The Gods" used to be "Song 9" or "Encrypted Time"? This part is a bit unclear... Hope we'll find out though.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

bestpike

#353 Post by bestpike » 24 Oct 2014 11:03

Dragonfly wrote:First things first - this track-by-track review made my day completely. Congratulations, comrades, for it feels like it's our well-deserved reward for all this hard wait we had to endure :) I just realized recently that it's been 51 months since "At The Edge Of Time" was released! Can you imagine that? 51 months without new Blind Guardian music. It will grow to 54 months but at least now we have something new to think about.
Not to ruin the nice atmosphere, but keep in mind that the band doesn't actually owe us anything :). Especially BG with its already stellar previous work.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#354 Post by Dragonfly » 24 Oct 2014 12:52

bestpike wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:First things first - this track-by-track review made my day completely. Congratulations, comrades, for it feels like it's our well-deserved reward for all this hard wait we had to endure :) I just realized recently that it's been 51 months since "At The Edge Of Time" was released! Can you imagine that? 51 months without new Blind Guardian music. It will grow to 54 months but at least now we have something new to think about.
Not to ruin the nice atmosphere, but keep in mind that the band doesn't actually owe us anything :). Especially BG with its already stellar previous work.
What do you mean? I realize they don't owe us anything... This "reward" should be taken metaphorically, of course :)

By the way, the title "The Ninth Wave" actually right away reminded me of this painting of the same name ("Девятый вал" in Russian) by a Russian Romantic artist Ivan Aivazovsky.Image
I wonder if it had any influence on the song...

bestpike

#355 Post by bestpike » 24 Oct 2014 13:10

Dragonfly wrote:
bestpike wrote:
What do you mean? I realize they don't owe us anything... This "reward" should be taken metaphorically, of course :)

By the way, the title "The Ninth Wave" actually right away reminded me of this painting of the same name ("Девятый вал" in Russian) by a Russian Romantic artist Ivan Aivazovsky.Image
I wonder if it had any influence on the song...
The "well-deserved" prompted me to say this. Anyway, don't mind me, I'm just chatting till we get more info :).
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#356 Post by Dragonfly » 24 Oct 2014 13:30

So do I, I suppose :)
I think everything's ready now, the band announced they'd be giving away all the details of the album soon.

wade-newb

#357 Post by wade-newb » 24 Oct 2014 19:03

Wow! About that painting, maybe 'The Ocean' is actually what became 'The Ninth Wave'?! You might be onto something in that case!
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Dragonfly

#358 Post by Dragonfly » 24 Oct 2014 19:46

wade-newb wrote:Wow! About that painting, maybe 'The Ocean' is actually what became 'The Ninth Wave'?! You might be onto something in that case!
Hmm, that is possible but I think "The Ocean" has become "At The Edge Of Time" - a big symphonic song serving as introduction to the orchestral project. I wouldn't mind though if it had retained its original name - a marine Blind Guardian song would be amazing! The problem is that the title "The Ocean" was inspired by Hansi's unintelligible mumbling and therefore probably has no reference to the actual theme of the song.
I'm also curious what "The Throne" might be about - I like that title a lot despite its simplicity...

Rokubota

#359 Post by Rokubota » 24 Oct 2014 21:15

Twilight of the gods could be Marcus's song.

BRi7X

#360 Post by BRi7X » 24 Oct 2014 22:30

They're teasing us this time around.... No samples... no mini web series... makes Jack a sad boy :(
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

Dragonfly

#361 Post by Dragonfly » 25 Oct 2014 01:15

BRi7X wrote:They're teasing us this time around.... No samples... no mini web series... makes Jack a sad boy :(
I think we can expect some samples later.

By the way, I like the title "The Red Door" (though I have no idea why it is red) but I'd change it a little bit: say, "Behind The Red Door" would work better in my opinion. In this case it's not the "door" itself that is meant and emphasized in the title, but what is beyond it. Just felt like sharing this :)

Traveller in Time

#362 Post by Traveller in Time » 25 Oct 2014 21:20

How about "Steps inside the red door" ?
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Angus

#363 Post by Angus » 26 Oct 2014 04:07

I REALLY want to be uber stoked for the new album after reading the track descriptions on page 7. Would it be wise to do so?

Ryu

#364 Post by Ryu » 26 Oct 2014 04:53

"The Red Door" would certainly be their most subtle title choice yet. It is nuanced in its simplicity. Three one-syllable words evoking a lot of mystery.
Defiant of destiny

sciacallo010

#365 Post by sciacallo010 » 26 Oct 2014 11:29

Ryu wrote:"The Red Door" would certainly be their most subtle title choice yet. It is nuanced in its simplicity. Three one-syllable words evoking a lot of mystery.
At first I felt it just wasn't right for a Blind Guardian album, I thought it could be good if modified to something like the above said "Behind the Red Door", but I then changed my mind.
I agree with what you said about it, it would be a really singular yet good title.

Gandalf de Grijze

#366 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Oct 2014 12:12

I just hope that fans won't be like "should've taken the blue door"
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

bard_92

#367 Post by bard_92 » 26 Oct 2014 12:18

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I just hope that fans won't be like "should've taken the blue door"
:D :D :D nice comment ... :D

I personally prefer the red one :)

bestpike

#368 Post by bestpike » 26 Oct 2014 12:23

Stanley's parable? Portal? :P
Forever to be free

sciacallo010

#369 Post by sciacallo010 » 26 Oct 2014 12:45

Matrix.

Dragonfly

#370 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Oct 2014 13:57

If you google "The Red Door" you'll find some weird links which have absolutely no connection to the album's theme, it seems.
Also I like that "The Grand Parade" is actually a main public square in Cape Town.
Considering "Twilight Of The Gods" I think we'll find out how it was called during the production as soon as the single is out: if Marcus is mentioned among the composers then it's probably "Winter's Coming", if not - well, something else, "Song 9" for instance.

wade-newb

#371 Post by wade-newb » 26 Oct 2014 22:30

Dragonfly wrote:If you google "The Red Door" you'll find some weird links which have absolutely no connection to the album's theme, it seems.
Also I like that "The Grand Parade" is actually a main public square in Cape Town.
Considering "Twilight Of The Gods" I think we'll find out how it was called during the production as soon as the single is out: if Marcus is mentioned among the composers then it's probably "Winter's Coming", if not - well, something else, "Song 9" for instance.
Being someone who lives in Cape Town, I didn't know that. Interesting

Dragonfly

#372 Post by Dragonfly » 26 Oct 2014 22:55

wade-newb wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:If you google "The Red Door" you'll find some weird links which have absolutely no connection to the album's theme, it seems.
Wow! Longlife learning in action :mrgreen: South Africa always seemed so interesting for me.

wade-newb

#373 Post by wade-newb » 27 Oct 2014 07:13

Dragonfly wrote:
wade-newb wrote:
Wow! Longlife learning in action :mrgreen: South Africa always seemed so interesting for me.
It is! I hiked a closed-off abandoned road along one of the mountains yesterday, and along the hills below you could see old English ruins of military outposts with cannons still in place. Really weird history.

Freak666

#374 Post by Freak666 » 27 Oct 2014 18:40

A "Grand Parade" also exists in Cork, Ireland. Around three years ago I've visited this place, but to be honest it was nothing special.

Andreas

#375 Post by Andreas » 27 Oct 2014 21:28

Freak666 wrote: Track by track :

The Ninth Wave

- over 9 minutes long
- pure bombast sounding in the beginning
- power drumming, massive riffs, sci-fi sound effects
- many twists music-wise
- somehow between "Mad max" and "Curse of the caribbean"
- good as Blind Guardian can be

Twilight of the Gods

- complex drum patterns
- thrashy
- compact song with anthem like chorus

Prophecies

- mid tempo
- tricky grooves
- great solo

At the Edge of Time

- most innovative sng of the album
- soundtrack-like with orchester
- pace varies often
- hyper bombast chorus
- like a mini-opera
- could maybe appetizer for the upcoming orchstral album

Ashes of Eternity

- catchiest song
- thrash metal riffing
- good combination of old and new syle

Distant Memories

- again cineatic soundtrack with orchester
- more light-footed
- great storytelling by Hansi
- dynamic and dramatic sounding

Holy Grail

- pure Speed Metal
- Hansi is mostly fast shouting
- Bombast chorus

The Throne

- midtempo
- Orchester meets metal again
- epic sounding

Sacred Mind

- Sci-fi sounds in the beginning
- sounds like power ballad in the beginning
- uptempo later in the song with lot of Highspeed eruptions
- like Queen could sound today

Miracle Machine

- ballad
- with strings and piano
- Hansi singing great

Grand Parade

- again a long song
- with orchester
- more warm and harmonic sounding
- hyper bombast chorus (what else? ^^)
- complex song but very well composed

Interesting facts from the interview:

- two choirs (USA and Hungary) were involved. In total 180-200 people were performing because of the hyper bombastic choirs
Boner alert...

Traveller in Time

#376 Post by Traveller in Time » 29 Oct 2014 22:05

i wonder when they are going to release those B-songs from the former Nightfall EP (which were recorded like Hansi said in "A Sign of Hope").
Maybe as bonus tracks for the limited edition of the album, or for the second single, or for the orchestra project, or are they waiting for a Nightfall anniversary (2018)? ;)

bestpike

#377 Post by bestpike » 29 Oct 2014 22:10

Traveller in Time wrote:i wonder when they are going to release those B-songs from the former Nightfall EP (which were recorded like Hansi said in "A Sign of Hope").
Maybe as bonus tracks for the limited edition of the album, or for the second single, or for the orchestra project, or are they waiting for a Nightfall anniversary (2018)? ;)
I bet they decided to keep them for Nightfall in Middle-earth, Pt. 2 :D
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#378 Post by Dragonfly » 29 Oct 2014 23:05

bestpike wrote:
Traveller in Time wrote:i wonder when they are going to release those B-songs from the former Nightfall EP (which were recorded like Hansi said in "A Sign of Hope").
I bet they decided to keep them for Nightfall in Middle-earth, Pt. 2 :D
I wonder if it's possible that one of those tracks actually made its way to the album, for example, "Miracle Machine" which was never mentioned before that magazine article. Doesn't seem very plausible but who knows...

Ryu

#379 Post by Ryu » 29 Oct 2014 23:31

Daybreak Somewhere South of Middle-Earth

.... Slayer's NIME tribute
Defiant of destiny

Traveller in Time

#380 Post by Traveller in Time » 29 Oct 2014 23:54

Dragonfly wrote: I wonder if it's possible that one of those tracks actually made its way to the album, for example, "Miracle Machine" which was never mentioned before that magazine article. Doesn't seem very plausible but who knows...
You have a point there.

Bu i thought the lyrics are again Tolkien related.... or not?

Dragonfly

#381 Post by Dragonfly » 30 Oct 2014 00:09

Traveller in Time wrote:
Dragonfly wrote: I wonder if it's possible that one of those tracks actually made its way to the album, for example, "Miracle Machine" which was never mentioned before that magazine article. Doesn't seem very plausible but who knows...
You have a point there.

Bu i thought the lyrics are again Tolkien related.... or not?
They may be! And in this case the song still may fit the album if it's not that strictly conceptual (something in the vein of "Imaginations From The Other Side"), so that several songs form a coherent story while the rest present their own topics, and one of them might be based on Tolkien I guess. I would personally love it! :P

bestpike

#382 Post by bestpike » 30 Oct 2014 01:27

it would've been nice if we got the lyrics prior to the release. i wonder if any bands do that. it would create a nice hype machine (if the lyrics are worth a damn :p)
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#383 Post by Dragonfly » 30 Oct 2014 01:32

bestpike wrote:it would've been nice if we got the lyrics prior to the release. i wonder if any bands do that. it would create a nice hype machine (if the lyrics are worth a damn :p)
I know that Sonata Arctica usually post all the lyrics on their website the day the album comes out, but that sadly seems to be just a pleasant exception. I doubt that the Guardians will do that...

Ryu

#384 Post by Ryu » 30 Oct 2014 07:42

I am at least hoping that how quiet they are, even now, is due to them plugging away at the orchestral project. Two and a half months out from ATEOT, we were brimming with info on it.
Defiant of destiny

bestpike

#385 Post by bestpike » 30 Oct 2014 17:05

wow, not even the tour trailers have at least a couple of seconds of the new material. this is so different than last time...
Forever to be free

sciacallo010

#386 Post by sciacallo010 » 30 Oct 2014 21:11

That's coz they're trolling us, there's no new studio album.
They'll release the orchestral album disguised as a studio album :lol:

Traveller in Time

#387 Post by Traveller in Time » 30 Oct 2014 21:15

Dragonfly wrote: They may be! And in this case the song still may fit the album if it's not that strictly conceptual (something in the vein of "Imaginations From The Other Side"), so that several songs form a coherent story while the rest present their own topics, and one of them might be based on Tolkien I guess. I would personally love it! :P
That would be awesome and Hansi is the only songwriter i know who could merge it :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#388 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 30 Oct 2014 21:34

bestpike wrote:wow, not even the tour trailers have at least a couple of seconds of the new material. this is so different than last time...
I'm getting the feeling they are sitting at home laughing at our impatience, and doing this on purpose...
Their sense of humor is twisted enough for that (and I love that!!!)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Ryu

#389 Post by Ryu » 31 Oct 2014 01:31

"You all know that the band will be on the road in 2105, don’t you? Look here for all of the confirmed dates and check out the tour trailer videos below."

Did they just preemptively announce the Orchestral Project's tour?
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#390 Post by bard_92 » 31 Oct 2014 08:11

Ryu wrote:"You all know that the band will be on the road in 2105, don’t you? Look here for all of the confirmed dates and check out the tour trailer videos below."

Yesssssss, finalyyy, it's coming guys...only 91 years left..just can't waiiit :) :) :)

Dragonfly

#391 Post by Dragonfly » 31 Oct 2014 12:23

bard_92 wrote:
Ryu wrote:"You all know that the band will be on the road in 2105, don’t you? Look here for all of the confirmed dates and check out the tour trailer videos below."

Yesssssss, finalyyy, it's coming guys...only 91 years left..just can't waiiit :) :) :)
:) :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:

Gandalf de Grijze

#392 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 31 Oct 2014 12:37

I'm already prepared for it, and bought my tickets!!

bestpike

#393 Post by bestpike » 31 Oct 2014 13:06

totally irrelevant, is anyone here living in the netherlands (like gandalf :p) going to see Eluveitie in belgium next sunday?
Forever to be free

Gandalf de Grijze

#394 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 31 Oct 2014 15:07

i'm not, sorry... am still doubting about eindhoven the 23rd.. but it is a sunday and difficult to get home afterwards...

bestpike

#395 Post by bestpike » 31 Oct 2014 16:44

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:i'm not, sorry... am still doubting about eindhoven the 23rd.. but it is a sunday and difficult to get home afterwards...
thanks for this post. i absolutely didnt notice that they are coming to eindhoven. it's pretty funny, they use both Netherlands and Holland in their tour dates... I'll be going to eindhoven for sure. I'll give a howler if I see you there (assuming you are the guy in your profile picture :P).
Forever to be free

Dragonfly

#396 Post by Dragonfly » 02 Nov 2014 17:07

That's why I don't really like those "soon-announcements"... That very "soon" is such a broad notion in terms of time, it can be anything from some hours up to several weeks. And it becomes obvious that in our case it's really about weeks and weeks :cry: .
I WANT THE TRACKLIST!!!
With durations. And artwork.
Oh, and album title, too.

Wizard's Crown

#397 Post by Wizard's Crown » 02 Nov 2014 18:03

Dragonfly wrote:That's why I don't really like those "soon-announcements"... That very "soon" is such a broad notion in terms of time, it can be anything from some hours up to several weeks. And it becomes obvious that in our case it's really about weeks and weeks :cry: .
I WANT THE TRACKLIST!!!
Very bad attitude from Blind Guardian in that subject..when you have such a strong fanbase you have to be consistent as a band when it comes to any kind of information (albums,concerts etc).Τhey 're so careless that I am worried about the quality of the forthcoming album.

Dragonfly

#398 Post by Dragonfly » 02 Nov 2014 18:24

Wizard's Crown wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:That's why I don't really like those "soon-announcements"... That very "soon" is such a broad notion in terms of time, it can be anything from some hours up to several weeks. And it becomes obvious that in our case it's really about weeks and weeks :cry: .
I WANT THE TRACKLIST!!!
Very bad attitude from Blind Guardian in that subject..when you have such a strong fanbase you have to be consistent as a band when it comes to any kind of information (albums,concerts etc).Τhey 're so careless that I am worried about the quality of the forthcoming album.
It's not just Blind Guardian, this "soon" thing is everywhere and basically means anything BUT soon, so if you learn that something's "coming soon" you can tell right away that it's coming late enough to drive you crazy :? . One of life's paradoxes I guess.
The guys are doing what they are supposed to do as musicians and songwriters - take care of their own music, and I don't think the band's attitude is necessarily bad, just careless enough to kind of ignore the fans when Blind Guardian have some more urgent and demanding stuff to do.

Freak666

#399 Post by Freak666 » 02 Nov 2014 20:13

Think of what we've got (-> nothing) around one month before and notice that we are now aware of:

- the songnames
- the single release date
- the album release date
- tour dates

I'm absolutely sure that november will bring us a lot of new informations. On november 17th for example the new rock hard issue will be in stores with a large interview. than hopefully we will be much wiser. I will translate it asap of course!

Rokubota

#400 Post by Rokubota » 02 Nov 2014 20:15

I want a Blind Guardian album with a more brutal sound, very heavy and very violent.