Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Ryu

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#201 Post by Ryu » 08 Oct 2014 23:49

The worst ATITM track (Carry the Blessed Home) is at least worse than the worst ATEOT track (Control the Divine). The Curse of Tracks That Start With C.

War of the Thrones wins out over Skalds, in my opinion. A more diverse track with relatable subject matter. The verse-chorus-verse nature of Skalds just seems like an attempt at having their ballad slot filled. That covers the token bard ballad..

In terms of speed and heaviness, TWNE and The Edge vs. A Voice in the Dark, Ride into Obsession, and Tanelorn.. This Will Never End wins above all of 'em, but ATEOT has a more solid set of heavy, fast, roots-Guardian.

The progressive tracks are a tossup. Lionheart is actually a favorite of mine in its oddities, it wins out easily over Valkyries and Control the Divine, yet Another Stranger Me never resonated with me, and Fly at times comes off as a weird novelty track lately to me.

There is no real "epic" piece on ATITM, which is a bullet to its proverbial kneecap.

Otherland is a good song in and of itself, there isn't a BG song quite like it. Turn the Page is good, if not a little over-the-top happy-sounding for BG, but ATITM seems to be that way in general.. apologies for the non-sequitur critique here.

Also, All the King's Horses is one I rediscovered and found had a lot of potential. It does not feel like a totally cohesive track - it seems to ramp up and then suddenly lose all its thunder. Maybe if it were more put-together. Factoring in that track as a finished product might put ATITM on the level of ATEOT for me. It's definitely more deserving than a rehashed, shift-in-tone track (Dead Sound of Misery) in terms of being on a final track list.
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#202 Post by bard_92 » 09 Oct 2014 06:17

Yes, ATITM is epic album too, just need the ATEOT production to be heard it's all potential... :!:
Hope soon there would be a remixed version...
I would enjoy it as much as a new album :P

Feanor l'invincible

#203 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 09 Oct 2014 22:02

I hope they release a song.. or snippets and finally announce albums's release date with artwork and playlist!

SEEN ON BG'S OFFICIAL FACEBOOK 43 minuts ago! :

Blind Guardian
43 mins · Edited ·
Tomorrow at 10 in the morning German time, be here! Or at www.blind-guardian.com or twitter.com/blind_guardian. Your choice.
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

sciacallo010

#204 Post by sciacallo010 » 09 Oct 2014 22:28

Our prayers have been listened.
The day has almost come.
Tomorrow the world will change forever.

New album announcement for 2018 :trollface: :lol:

sciacallo010

#205 Post by sciacallo010 » 09 Oct 2014 22:36

bestpike wrote:
Angus wrote:I'd actually say that ATEOT is significantly better than ATITM.
You know, I mostly thought I agreed with you, however I thought about it again while writing the previous post, and I realised maybe on average it's only slightly better (or maybe even worse). As a consistent album, definitely Ateot is the stronger contender. It reminds me of the comparison between Number of the Beast and Powerslave. The former has 3 hallmark songs and the others are fillers, the other is a very strong album as a whole. It's hard to compare them. Similarly, Atitm has This will never end, Turn the Page, Fly, Another stranger me and the rest are kind of filler (of course this is only my opinion). Ateot stays at a very respectable level from start to finish, but in my opinion none of the songs reach the level of the top Atitm ones, although they come quite close. I am not really sure which one is better.
I have to disagree again with the most of your post (of course it's just my opinion against yours, to each their own ;))
First of all to me it's quite strange to hear that The Number of the Beast has just 3 good tracks and all the rest are fillers, to me it's a great album almost from start to finish.
Then I agree with the fact that ATEOT is better then ATITM but to me songs like Sacred Worlds or Wheel of Time are some of the highes peaks of at least the three last albums; and even if I agree that ATITM is their worst album (even if with Blind Guardian I always prefer to say "less good") I wouldn't say that apart from 3 songs they are all fillers.
As I said this is just my opinion...;)

bestpike

#206 Post by bestpike » 09 Oct 2014 23:09

sciacallo010 wrote:
bestpike wrote:
Angus wrote:I'd actually say that ATEOT is significantly better than ATITM.
You know, I mostly thought I agreed with you, however I thought about it again while writing the previous post, and I realised maybe on average it's only slightly better (or maybe even worse). As a consistent album, definitely Ateot is the stronger contender. It reminds me of the comparison between Number of the Beast and Powerslave. The former has 3 hallmark songs and the others are fillers, the other is a very strong album as a whole. It's hard to compare them. Similarly, Atitm has This will never end, Turn the Page, Fly, Another stranger me and the rest are kind of filler (of course this is only my opinion). Ateot stays at a very respectable level from start to finish, but in my opinion none of the songs reach the level of the top Atitm ones, although they come quite close. I am not really sure which one is better.
I have to disagree again with the most of your post (of course it's just my opinion against yours, to each their own ;))
First of all to me it's quite strange to hear that The Number of the Beast has just 3 good tracks and all the rest are fillers, to me it's a great album almost from start to finish.
Then I agree with the fact that ATEOT is better then ATITM but to me songs like Sacred Worlds or Wheel of Time are some of the highes peaks of at least the three last albums; and even if I agree that ATITM is their worst album (even if with Blind Guardian I always prefer to say "less good") I wouldn't say that apart from 3 songs they are all fillers.
As I said this is just my opinion...;)
Of course there is no right or wrong here, it's all opinion in the end. Well, by filler I meant that compared to these three songs in Number of the beast (you know which), the rest of the album is completely outshined, making it look like filler, and I see a similar effect in Atitm as well. Ateot does not have this imbalance. I usually listen to it whole, while on Atitm I pick and choose the ones I like. However, I somehow connected more with the top 4 (for me) songs of Atitm rather than any of the Ateot songs. Could be age, who knows.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

bestpike

#207 Post by bestpike » 09 Oct 2014 23:14

sciacallo010 wrote:Our prayers have been listened.
The day has almost come.
Tomorrow the world will change forever.

New album announcement for 2018 :trollface: :lol:
thx for the update btw!
Forever to be free

Orodaran

#208 Post by Orodaran » 10 Oct 2014 00:02

Got an impulse to hear At the Edge of Time the other day... I think it's the best since Nightfall in Middle-Earth, It's easily better than A Twist in the Myth and the only way ANATO can rival against it is because of a certain short song about the trojan war. The days when the album was in my daily or weekly rotation are far gone, but I still enjoy the hell out of it and I think it's like Powerslave (Iron Maiden) and Horror Show (Iced Earth), very awesome and the lesser tracks are in the middle :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Ryu

#209 Post by Ryu » 10 Oct 2014 00:21

Seeing as I'm cursed with insomnia I'll be awake around the time the "news" surfaces and will be LIVE TWEETING (not really).

But yeah, expect a prompt thread update.
Defiant of destiny

Traveller in Time

#210 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 00:29

Feanor l'invincible wrote:I hope they release a song.. or snippets and finally announce albums's release date with artwork and playlist!

Blind Guardian
43 mins · Edited ·
Tomorrow at 10 in the morning German time, be here! Or at http://www.blind-guardian.com or twitter.com/blind_guardian. Your choice.

Blind Guardian: "Sorry for the long wait an no news, ah btw our new album is now in the stores !"

That would be epic :lol:
just dreaming already.......
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Ryu

#211 Post by Ryu » 10 Oct 2014 00:36

Traveller in Time wrote:
Feanor l'invincible wrote:I hope they release a song.. or snippets and finally announce albums's release date with artwork and playlist!

Blind Guardian
43 mins · Edited ·
Tomorrow at 10 in the morning German time, be here! Or at http://www.blind-guardian.com or twitter.com/blind_guardian. Your choice.

Blind Guardian: "Sorry for the long wait an no news, ah btw our new album is now in the stores !"

That would be epic :lol:
just dreaming already.......
It would be rather modern of them, no? At least a digital single release..

It obviously comes down to the label's decisions and I don't think NB does shit like that however
Defiant of destiny

Traveller in Time

#212 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 00:45

You want to know it?

:!: Caution SPOILER :!:

Click me, but i warned you

Ryu

#213 Post by Ryu » 10 Oct 2014 00:47

Traveller in Time wrote:You want to know it?

:!: Caution SPOILER :!:

Click me, but i warned you
Ahhh, a single on December 5th, then.

Still holding out for a sample
Defiant of destiny

Feanor l'invincible

#214 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 10 Oct 2014 01:00

That would mean the single will be called "Twilight of Gods"

Traveller in Time

#215 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 02:25

And tons of coloured vinyls... :wink:

Feanor l'invincible

#216 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 10 Oct 2014 03:39

I also think that this song (Twilight of The Gods) must be the "mid-tempo song" in the list of song titles in the first page.. Hansi described it as "commercial" and "catchy"...

Ryu

#217 Post by Ryu » 10 Oct 2014 03:56

Feanor l'invincible wrote:I also think that this song (Twilight of The Gods) must be the "mid-tempo song" in the list of song titles in the first page.. Hansi described it as "commercial" and "catchy"...
Or it could be one of the others, just renamed. around half of ateot's songs were renamed between announcement and release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_of_the_Gods

Anyway, a song about... Ragnarök, in Norse mythology, a series of major events foretold to result in the death of a number of gods .. I would certainly hope is not commercial, at least. ;)
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#218 Post by bard_92 » 10 Oct 2014 06:11

FInaaaaalyyyyyy :)))))))))))))))))))

Thanks God, you've heard our prayeeers !!!!

I have only one question, what's the difference between white, black, gold and blue vinyl ???
And why there're so many ? Might be an explosion song :)

bestpike

#219 Post by bestpike » 10 Oct 2014 07:35

Twilight of the gods? Wow, Blind Guardian including some Amon Amarth influences? :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwaZDRyHsys
Forever to be free

bestpike

#220 Post by bestpike » 10 Oct 2014 10:16

That's interesting. At least we get a single in 2014 :D. It seems really weird though, no news at all about the album itself.
Forever to be free

Ryu

#221 Post by Ryu » 10 Oct 2014 10:19

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2014/10/1 ... er-5-2014/

No sample, and really no idea what (if any) song this replaced, so I'm leaving the OP for now.
bestpike wrote:That's interesting. At least we get a single in 2014 :D. It seems really weird though, no news at all about the album itself.
We do know it's out in January, evidently.
Defiant of destiny

bard_92

#222 Post by bard_92 » 10 Oct 2014 10:21

Song 9 maybe ?

Andreas

#223 Post by Andreas » 10 Oct 2014 10:41

Not a very original song title indeed. Stormwarrior comes to mind, and I could be mistaken, but... Grave Digger? Anyway, there'll be tons more I'm sure.

Nagging aside, I'm very much looking forward to this. I will get it as soon as it comes out, I'm really glad they still release their singles in CD format. And my initial rant about the other tracks only being live songs was silenced by the fact that it's from a concert that I attended.

And eh, new album out in January? Yay!

So, happy dutchie is happy :mrgreen:

bard_92

#224 Post by bard_92 » 10 Oct 2014 10:49

Yes, it will be January ;)

"The wait is over! Blind Guardian is back! The world’s most popular fantasy metal band gives us Twilight of the Gods; the first single from their long-awaited new album, to be unleashed upon the world in January 2015"

Traveller in Time

#225 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 11:23

i do like the artwork.

And Hansi's statement sounds promising, although i dislike words like: "we have ever written"
But this time i'll take Hansi up on that, hoping it's no Münchhausen quote again ;)
bard_92 wrote:what's the difference between white, black, gold and blue vinyl
well differences are: one is white, one is black.....
and they have in common that:
- it's vinyl
- the same songs in same versions are on it
- NB wants you to buy them all (what i'll do for collecting issues)

:wink:

Orodaran

#226 Post by Orodaran » 10 Oct 2014 12:23

Wow, a covert art that plays on the contrasts between warm colors and cool colors, never done before! :D :roll: :P

Well, cover is generic and the title has been used by a dozen bands already, but once we'll hear the song in all of its awesomeness it will no longer matter!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Traveller in Time

#227 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 12:44

Orodaran wrote:Wow, a covert art that plays on the contrasts between warm colors and cool colors, never done before! :D :roll: :P
:D
at least not blue/orange this time ;)

wade-newb

#228 Post by wade-newb » 10 Oct 2014 14:15

Andreas wrote:Not a very original song title indeed. Stormwarrior comes to mind, and I could be mistaken, but... Grave Digger? Anyway, there'll be tons more I'm sure.

Nagging aside, I'm very much looking forward to this. I will get it as soon as it comes out, I'm really glad they still release their singles in CD format. And my initial rant about the other tracks only being live songs was silenced by the fact that it's from a concert that I attended.

They did say that this is just the "first single" though, implying there will be another, maybe? And maybe that one will have more than just live recordings (which I actually like very much :P)
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Traveller in Time

#229 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 14:48

wade-newb wrote:
Andreas wrote:Not a very original song title indeed. Stormwarrior comes to mind, and I could be mistaken, but... Grave Digger? Anyway, there'll be tons more I'm sure.

They did say that this is just the "first single" though, implying there will be another, maybe? And maybe that one will have more than just live recordings (which I actually like very much :P)
I would not trust so much in words, especially if it is from BG concerning releasing music.... :wink:
If there is a chance for a second one i hope for an appetizer for the orchestra album, but well with my hopes it is the same like the point about BG releases mentioned above: not that reliable ;)

Isis65

#230 Post by Isis65 » 10 Oct 2014 14:56

trivial cover, title worse.

I hope that at least the song is decent.

:|
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

sciacallo010

#231 Post by sciacallo010 » 10 Oct 2014 15:15

I really hope they won't release another single, I already spent too much on the 5 versions of this I just bought :D
And I'm upset with the Nuclear Blast who made a 5° different vinyl (a golden one) and sell it only to "bronze status" accounts on their online shop (meaning you spent more than like 500-600€ there...crazy).
If next single will be an appetizer for the orchestral album which will hopefully be released soon after, it will be different (and I'll buy it instantly in every possible different version :D).

Regarding the artwork I quite like it, but they should really get rid of Machado; his works are all too similar each other and it would be a pity to spoil beautiful albums, as I'm sure next releases will be, with bad artworks (luckly what he did so far for Blind Guardian isn't that bad and I quite like them all, but they're far from being even close to Marschall's masterpieces).

Dragonfly

#232 Post by Dragonfly » 10 Oct 2014 15:45

Great news - a new song in December and the album in January. Three months to go...
I wonder how "Twilight Of The Gods" used to be called during the production. I think it's either "Midtempo Song" due to its catchiness, "Outcast" (for Hansi really seems to be enjoying the new song) or "Song 9" because it seems to feature many different moods. Anyway I suppose "Twilight Of The Gods" is definitely one of the faster songs (or can it be an epic?) Who knows...
I really hope for a near album title and tracklist announcement though - as of now we only know approximate release date.
And another thought... it seems that the cover trend has been broken unless there will be another single with a cover song. Which is a shame :|
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Traveller in Time

#233 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Oct 2014 16:01

sciacallo010 wrote:I really hope they won't release another single, I already spent too much on the 5 versions of this I just bought :D
And I'm upset with the Nuclear Blast who made a 5° different vinyl (a golden one) and sell it only to "bronze status" accounts on their online shop (meaning you spent more than like 500-600€ there...crazy).
If next single will be an appetizer for the orchestral album which will hopefully be released soon after, it will be different (and I'll buy it instantly in every possible different version :D).

Regarding the artwork I quite like it, but they should really get rid of Machado; his works are all too similar each other and it would be a pity to spoil beautiful albums, as I'm sure next releases will be, with bad artworks (luckly what he did so far for Blind Guardian isn't that bad and I quite like them all, but they're far from being even close to Marschall's masterpieces).
+1
i like his work for Rage or Lingua Mortis Orchestra, but you are right there is an overflow of his artwork nowadays, especially the hooded "monk" can be seen on many covers (Sinbreed, Iron Savior, Power Quest, Ancient Bard)

Angus

#234 Post by Angus » 10 Oct 2014 21:14

Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?

Andreas

#235 Post by Andreas » 10 Oct 2014 21:41

Angus wrote:Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?
You might have cared to read my post:
Andreas wrote: *snip*

*snip*
Sad dutchie is sad now :(

Led Guardian

#236 Post by Led Guardian » 10 Oct 2014 21:47

Angus wrote:Why is Dragonfly so far the only person that has mentioned that THE ENTIRE FUCKING ALBUM IS COMING OUT IN JANUARY!? Are you for real Blind Guardian? Only a three month wait after the announcement?
More lies by Munchausen! :P

So much excitement! The next half year is going to be overload for me. Final Hobbit movie in December (not nearly as good as LotR, but I'm still excited), Civilization: Beyond Earth out this month, Dragon Age: Inquisition in November, Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in February, BG single in December, new album in January, and Diablo Swing Orchestra and The Gentle Storm (Arjen/Anneke) are recording now, probably for first-half albums next year. It's too much! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

bard_92

#237 Post by bard_92 » 11 Oct 2014 00:44

And here you can see the single picture with a different written "Twilight of the Gods",
which here I like better

http://www.radiotangra.com/news/read/24233.html

bestpike

#238 Post by bestpike » 11 Oct 2014 01:27

bard_92 wrote:And here you can see the single picture with a different written "Twilight of the Gods",
which here I like better

http://www.radiotangra.com/news/read/24233.html
Indeed, the other fond is kinda weird. Also, I think this is the first single that just includes the 1 new song, without some kind of cover, which means that they are probably late on the deadlines and cutting corners left and right :P
Forever to be free

Angus

#239 Post by Angus » 11 Oct 2014 05:19

Andreas wrote:
You might have cared to read my post:
Andreas wrote: *snip*

*snip*
Sad dutchie is sad now :(

wade-newb

#240 Post by wade-newb » 11 Oct 2014 08:34

The title of the song is obviously overused, but it's because it's an awesome name. The last time they dealt with the theme of gods and their power so specifically was Valhalla, and they've never had a title so explicitly about gods. Many bands have done the title, but that makes it kind of like a classic, recurring theme in metal, and I'm excited to see what Blind Guardian will contribute to it. What's awesome is how excited Hansi seems about this song. I remember an interview about ATITM, where he seemed quite "meh" about the songs and their lyrical themes. There is a strong sense of classic BG in everything about this song so far! We just have to hear how it sounds :D

Andreas

#241 Post by Andreas » 11 Oct 2014 09:10

Angus wrote:
Still not good enough :cry:

Andreas

#242 Post by Andreas » 11 Oct 2014 10:09

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this new release will make me listen all BG albums in chronological order, while dancing. Without clothes.

Just as I did more than four years ago. Man, those were the days...

Perse

#243 Post by Perse » 11 Oct 2014 11:39

My guess is that Twilight of the Gods refers to Wagners opera "Götterdämmerung", it's quite popular in Germany and Hansi used the theme before for Blood on my Hands. So maybe he visited it again for the new album?
That could mean that Twilight... is going to be one of the epic pieces, hence the reference to Wagner? Thank god it's not far to the release date!

wade-newb

#244 Post by wade-newb » 11 Oct 2014 12:00

Perse wrote:My guess is that Twilight of the Gods refers to Wagners opera "Götterdämmerung", it's quite popular in Germany and Hansi used the theme before for Blood on my Hands. So maybe he visited it again for the new album?
That could mean that Twilight... is going to be one of the epic pieces, hence the reference to Wagner? Thank god it's not far to the release date!
This is very very interesting! Thank you for the insight.

bard_92

#245 Post by bard_92 » 11 Oct 2014 17:38

Oh, my God, that would mean that it would be probably a song longer than 7 minutes, I guess...
And inspired by Wagner...sounds Epic, exactly what expect from Mr. Kursch :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#246 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Oct 2014 18:58

Could this be like the ATTWS single? picking the longest song, hopefully a 10 min + song, for the first single...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Andreas

#247 Post by Andreas » 11 Oct 2014 19:33

I don't think so. One of the terms they used for the song is "neck breaker", which leads me to believe that it's a speedy song of like 5 or 6 minutes. Kinda like A Voice in the Dark.

On the other hand, a longer song would kinda explain/make up for the other tracks just being live tracks.

bard_92

#248 Post by bard_92 » 11 Oct 2014 19:44

Andreas wrote:I don't think so. One of the terms they used for the song is "neck breaker", which leads me to believe that it's a speedy song of like 5 or 6 minutes. Kinda like A Voice in the Dark.

On the other hand, a longer song would kinda explain/make up for the other tracks just being live tracks.

Exactly my thoughts :)

Btw,the name of the single makes me think that it's not a concept album, which I hoped so...???
can't wait for the song names and their time duration...

Dragonfly

#249 Post by Dragonfly » 11 Oct 2014 20:23

bard_92 wrote:
Andreas wrote:I don't think so. One of the terms they used for the song is "neck breaker", which leads me to believe that it's a speedy song of like 5 or 6 minutes. Kinda like A Voice in the Dark.

Exactly my thoughts :)

Btw,the name of the single makes me think that it's not a concept album, which I hoped so...???
can't wait for the song names and their time duration...
That was just what I wanted to add - exactly! :) I personally don't think it's a long song, not "Grand Parade" that Hansi was talking about.
And I'm also hungry for the song titles and duration... and the final album title. What will they make up this time around?
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Rokubota

#250 Post by Rokubota » 11 Oct 2014 22:18

I'm glad they're still alive.

Schaffer hasn't written a killer and fresh riff in decades, he is done as a songwriter IMO and there's nothing really inspired in his music anymore. ATITM had some good songs but terrible production, ATEOT had Wheel Of Time and a better production but that's it.

I want a killer album but it's very unlikely this late in their career. Those iconic songs are very hard to do. Fiddler was the last time Hansi was truly inspired IMO.