Advice on TV series to watch

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Orodaran

Advice on TV series to watch

#1 Post by Orodaran » 09 Mar 2012 13:45

Well, as the title says, I was looking for suggestions for TV series to watch. Now, I've been more of a movie kind of person, and I can easily count on my fingers the TV series I watched.

In the comedy / cartoon department, I have:
The Simpsons, Futurama and Family Guy
Friends
Scrubs

In the drama category, I have:
The X Files (from back in the day)
Carnivale (does anybody knows it? AWESOME show, more complicated than X Files and Twin Peaks, too bad it was cancelled)
Dexter

Now, I know that's not much to go with, but I'm looking for something, well, "nice" to watch. If it's a comedy, it has to be filled with LOL as Scrubs, and if it's a drama, it has to be insanely awesome as Dexter, which I looooove.... I was interested in Lost, but having to put up with 7 seasons of mystery and hearing everyone complaining about the finale put me a bit off... other series I was interested were Fringe and Six Feet Under... but anyway, I'm open to suggestions so name your picks 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Sleeping Dragon

Re: Advice on TV series to watch

#2 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 09 Mar 2012 15:47

Comedy:
Spaced: a great british geek comedy by simon pegg and nick frost (shaun of the dead, hot fuzz). can be seen in its entirety on youtube
Black books: a weirdo british comedy with Bill bailey, also available on youtube.
Big bang theory: great geek comedy that seems to be going well long after the point in which american shows become boring and repetitive

Drama:
Walking dead: zombiepocalicious
most things on HBO are worth checking out: boardwalk empire, homeland, game of thrones(!!!)

lighthearted action\drama:
Burn-notice: a fun, doesn't-take-itself-too-seriously spy series with Bruce Campbell

Sci-fi:
Eureka: haven't seen it all, but what saw was pretty good.
Farscape: australian produced with the aid of the Jim Henson creature workshop, very well made and comes to a non-disappointing conclusion after about 5 seasons.

that should keep you covered for a while.

also, Carnivale started very well and i really loved the setting and the actors. but it got boring long before the end of the first season when it was getting too obsessed with how mysteriously Eeeevol everyone is.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Baby_Kürsch

#3 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 09 Mar 2012 19:03

I watch most of these via Netflix, I do believe there is a European equivalent (I Love Movies or something like that) But I do not know if they offer the same things as Netflix. Netflix has a good mix of American and British television.

Trailer Park Boys (Canadian comedy)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer ("drama"/comedy, solid characters good writing)

Firefly (same guy who did buffy, amazing sci fi but only 1 season)

Parks and Recreation (comedy similar to The Office, American version that is)

Community (comedy, not on netflix)

30 Rock (comedy)

Be wary of The Walking Dead, it has some really sloppy writing and it tends to drag on way more than it should (they have a problem with stagnating their storylines). I have followed it since season 1 but I am regularly disappointed by it. This just happens to be my personal taste, everyone else will tell you how amazing it is, apparently bad writing and storyline are easy for some to ignore. As long as it has zombies that is.

Eureka and Farscape are both pretty amazing shows.

There is also a show on BBC America I watched called Robin Hood that Ive really enjoyed. love cheesy action/adventure!
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

t.a.j.

#4 Post by t.a.j. » 10 Mar 2012 03:30

Everyone should see Firefly and the first season of Heroes.

Stuff I currently enjoy is New Girl & Parks and Recreation, in particular the latter is really great.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Sleeping Dragon

#5 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 10 Mar 2012 08:09

yeah, i Third parks and recreation.

the best acting and writing i've ever seen on an american tv show.
also, being a landscape architect working mainly with local municipalities, i can vouch for it being only about 20% fictitious.

Gandalf de Grijze

#6 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 10 Mar 2012 09:52

I'm going to second Firefly, Farscape and The Big Bang Theory.

My personal favorite series to watch is Stargate SG-1. This series is a very nice SciFi, it has no huge spacebattles, space scenes in general are quite scarce, and it isn't situated in the future. But there are evil aliens and good aliens with very advanced technology and stuff.
There is a lot of subtle humor, good character development during all 10 seasons. There are a couple of episodes which allow for extremely impressive acting of one of the main characters, without it getting loose from the general storyline. The thing I also love is how they incorporate myths and ancient religions in it all, eventhough it generally is superficial knowledge, it is something we can learn about the past of various old civilizations.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

End Of An Era

#7 Post by End Of An Era » 10 Mar 2012 10:03

comedy: Frasier, Futurama, Black Adder, that Mitchell and Webb look (sketches)

drama: Oz, La Femme: Nikita, Sleeper Cell

action: Ultimate Force (season 3 and up suck though)

Midnight

#8 Post by Midnight » 10 Mar 2012 13:00

Sci-Fi - Battlestar galactica(2004) - IMO the best TV series I've ever watched. Philosophical with action and many different characters. Concluded after 4 series. Warning: Might be difficult to digest in the beginning but later on it pays off.

Palantyre

#9 Post by Palantyre » 13 Mar 2012 12:55

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: My personal favorite series to watch is Stargate SG-1. This series is a very nice SciFi, it has no huge spacebattles, space scenes in general are quite scarce, and it isn't situated in the future. But there are evil aliens and good aliens with very advanced technology and stuff.
There is a lot of subtle humor, good character development during all 10 seasons. There are a couple of episodes which allow for extremely impressive acting of one of the main characters, without it getting loose from the general storyline. The thing I also love is how they incorporate myths and ancient religions in it all, eventhough it generally is superficial knowledge, it is something we can learn about the past of various old civilizations.
You forgot the most important facet: It has MacGyver as the lead character.

Recommendations I'd like to second/third/sixth:
-Farscape. At first look it can seem kinda lame and campy (I know I was deceived at first) but if you can get past that and all the space muppets, it's a damn good series with loads of good acting and character chemistry. It also ranges all across the spectrum, from moving drama to hysterical goofball humor. (CRACKERS DON'T MATTER!) The ending of the actual series is actually not satisfying at all, but fortunately they were able to later wrap things up very nicely with a two-part miniseries.

-Black Books. The best sitcom ever (if it can be called that). Sadly only 18 episodes long, but preferrably that than forcing it longer and dragging it through the mud. All three main characters are awesome.

-Game of Thrones. Fucking obviously.

Lastly, what hasn't been mentioned yet: Babylon 5. The best sci-fi series ever (just imo, of course). It does look horribly nineties especially in the beginning, but so what. A compelling, continuous space opera storyline (with intermittent "crisis of the day" episodes inbetween) with plenty of likable and memorable characters, and also a suitable dash of humour.
However, the fifth and last season of the series is pretty much superfluous. The grand main storyline really ends with season 4, and while season 5 is still good stuff and does carry on the themes from the series so far, it's kinda like a mix between a sequel and a very prolonged epilogue. Well worth watching at any rate.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

t.a.j.

#10 Post by t.a.j. » 13 Mar 2012 13:54

Midnight wrote:Sci-Fi - Battlestar galactica(2004) - IMO the best TV series I've ever watched. Philosophical with action and many different characters. Concluded after 4 series. Warning: Might be difficult to digest in the beginning but later on it pays off.
What I found indigestible was the horrible ending and deus ex machine mysticism that, much like on Lost, never really gets resolved or explained.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Gandalf de Grijze

#11 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Mar 2012 15:26

Palantyre wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote: My personal favorite series to watch is Stargate SG-1. This series is a very nice SciFi, it has no huge spacebattles, space scenes in general are quite scarce, and it isn't situated in the future. But there are evil aliens and good aliens with very advanced technology and stuff.
You forgot the most important facet: It has MacGyver as the lead character.
Yeah... Richard Dean Anderson is awesome!!! And I just love his humour :mrgreen:
The last 2 seasons though are without MacGyver, but with Ben Browder and Claudia Black from Farscape, I thought that was really nice casting...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Palantyre

#12 Post by Palantyre » 13 Mar 2012 17:53

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
Palantyre wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:with Ben Browder and Claudia Black from Farscape, I thought that was really nice casting...
Any casting that involves Claudia Black is nice, because she is friggin' HOT.
Not what I'd call "picture beautiful" but something about her just makes me go "hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Palantyre

#13 Post by Palantyre » 13 Mar 2012 17:54

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:with Ben Browder and Claudia Black from Farscape, I thought that was really nice casting...
Any casting that involves Claudia Black is nice, because she is friggin' HOT.
Not what I'd call "picture beautiful" but something about her just makes me go "hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

Sleeping Dragon

#14 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 13 Mar 2012 17:57

you can say that again.

Gandalf de Grijze

#15 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Mar 2012 19:54

She has one of the most sexy flairs in the world... her whole movement is goddamn sexy, her voice and accent are damn sexy, I could listen to her reciting the most boring lectures in the world and I'd still get a boner...

prongs

#16 Post by prongs » 13 Mar 2012 20:30

Firefly is one of the top sci-fi series ever.
Game of Thrones is obviously fucking epic.
Spartacus:Blood and Sand & Gods of the Arena were great but sadly the new season is very disappointing so far.
Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are great sitcoms,not as great as f.r.i.e.n.d.s. of course
Supernatural was pretty kick-ass up to season 3 or 4
The Borgias is also one of the greats
I liked Camelot very much, but only one season was aired before it got cancelled :(
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Dentarthurdent

#17 Post by Dentarthurdent » 13 Mar 2012 20:42

Black Adder and Flying Circus. 'nuff said.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Sleeping Dragon

#18 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 13 Mar 2012 22:07

i sometimes start laughing to myself just thinking of this little scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unCswsfb46g

Orodaran

#19 Post by Orodaran » 14 Mar 2012 21:33

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions so far.... I will look into the more mentioned titles and make up my mind 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Little Dragon

#20 Post by Little Dragon » 15 Mar 2012 09:26

Why did nobody mention the doctor?
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

End Of An Era

#21 Post by End Of An Era » 17 Mar 2012 12:39

Little Dragon wrote:Why did nobody mention the doctor?
why did you only now mentioned the doctor? :P

Sleeping Dragon

#22 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 17 Mar 2012 13:08

End Of An Era wrote:
WHAT doctor?

Isis65

#23 Post by Isis65 » 17 Mar 2012 14:07

Orodaran wrote:Ok, thanks for all the suggestions so far....
I forgot to write my suggestion: throw away the TV.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Palantyre

#24 Post by Palantyre » 17 Mar 2012 22:30

Isis65 wrote:
That's a funny name for a show. What's it about?

spamel

#25 Post by spamel » 17 Mar 2012 23:56

Palantyre wrote:
Isis65 wrote:
That's a funny name for a show. What's it about?
In a nutshell? It's about the cliched rock and roll lifestyles of the rich and famous.
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Isis65

#26 Post by Isis65 » 18 Mar 2012 21:10

Palantyre wrote: That's a funny name for a show. What's it about?
is a science fiction series aired a few years ago in Italy: a woman with a troubled past realizes that television programs are a tool to control people, and programs are in the hands of a villain who uses television to get elected President of the Council of Ministers and bring the country into an abyss and use public money for his personal interests. The woman then decides to get rid of the damn instrument and throws away the television.
This series has not had any success here, but I liked it....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

End Of An Era

#27 Post by End Of An Era » 18 Mar 2012 23:10

Isis65 wrote:
Palantyre wrote: That's a funny name for a show. What's it about?
is a science fiction series aired a few years ago in Italy: a woman with a troubled past realizes that television programs are a tool to control people, and programs are in the hands of a villain who uses television to get elected President of the Council of Ministers and bring the country into an abyss and use public money for his personal interests. The woman then decides to get rid of the damn instrument and throws away the television.
This series has not had any success here, but I liked it....
:lol: yeah i remember this show.. had ugly old guys in suits and beautiful young women in the most revealing outfits right? and wether it was a game show or a cooking program they all managed to have this same setup.. :P

Gandalf de Grijze

#28 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 19 Mar 2012 00:25

I remember it too!!!
The villain was a real piece of work... Always caught up in lawsuits untill he became prime minister and changed the law to suit him...

Little Dragon

#29 Post by Little Dragon » 19 Mar 2012 00:51

Sleeping Dragon wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
WHAT doctor?
THE doctor!

and marcy-darcy: i just didn't came into here before! :P
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I find it hard to take
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Gandalf de Grijze

#30 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 19 Mar 2012 01:07

who?

Little Dragon

#31 Post by Little Dragon » 19 Mar 2012 09:30

the doctor! ;)
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I find it hard to take
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Gandalf de Grijze

#32 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 19 Mar 2012 11:31

the who?

End Of An Era

#33 Post by End Of An Era » 19 Mar 2012 19:27

Little Dragon wrote:the doctor! ;)
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:the who?
Too obvious.. i'm not gonna say it :P

Sleeping Dragon

#34 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 19 Mar 2012 20:09

you're starting to sound like an owl there, Skippy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1bPS3kVpQ

Gandalf de Grijze

#35 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 20 Mar 2012 00:39

Sleeping Dragon wrote:you're starting to sound like an owl there, Skippy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1bPS3kVpQ
:mrgreen:

Little Dragon

#36 Post by Little Dragon » 21 Mar 2012 09:48

End Of An Era wrote:
Little Dragon wrote:the doctor! ;)
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:the who?
Too obvious.. i'm not gonna say it :P
The doctor. Just the doctor.

:mrgreen:
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I find it hard to take
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Sleeping Dragon

#37 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 21 Mar 2012 20:34

THIS is the only Doctor that comes to my mind right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03JVPaZpyc

now sing it! :mrgreen:

Isis65

#38 Post by Isis65 » 21 Mar 2012 22:21

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I remember it too!!!
The villain was a real piece of work... Always caught up in lawsuits untill he became prime minister and changed the law to suit him...
End Of An Era wrote: yeah i remember this show.. had ugly old guys in suits and beautiful young women in the most revealing outfits right? and wether it was a game show or a cooking program they all managed to have this same setup.. :P
:shock: :shock: :shock:

but how,
broadcast this series in Holland??
OMG .... fortunately is only fiction ....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Sarah

#39 Post by Sarah » 01 Apr 2012 22:56

Just popping back in to recommend Sherlock. Only 6 episodes so far but they're 90mn each and it's AWESOME ! You'll love it.

I do also have a weakness for Supernatural, even though it took some time to start admitting it. Got a few episodes to catch up to btw
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Frozen within

#40 Post by Frozen within » 28 Apr 2012 17:51

Why, Game of Thrones of course, duh !

It's got solid acting, a good script and lots of totally unneccesary nudity. 3 times win !

Gonna watch the 4th episode of season 2 in a few minutes, and stuff is getting more grim with each new episode.
Eat more vegetables !

Frozen within

#41 Post by Frozen within » 28 Apr 2012 17:54

prongs wrote:Firefly is one of the top sci-fi series ever.
Game of Thrones is obviously fucking epic.
Spartacus:Blood and Sand & Gods of the Arena were great but sadly the new season is very disappointing so far.
Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are great sitcoms,not as great as f.r.i.e.n.d.s. of course
Supernatural was pretty kick-ass up to season 3 or 4
The Borgias is also one of the greats
I liked Camelot very much, but only one season was aired before it got cancelled :(
Yeah I liked Camelot too, can't believe that shit show called Merlin is still on instead of Camelot ...
Eat more vegetables !

I.c.e Motion

#42 Post by I.c.e Motion » 29 Apr 2012 11:12

I agree with whoever said Babylon 5!! I recently started watching it again and it's still awesome despite looking dated in regards of the spaceships and stuff (but then again for that time entirely CGI space scenes were quite a feat already) but the most important thing of it is.. it's very much a character driven story.. in space.. much like how Game of Thrones is also mainly character driven.

Also love rewatching the entire Buffy series every few years.. good stuff that.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl

ra me nivar

#43 Post by ra me nivar » 26 May 2012 11:28

I can't believe nobody mentioned the best tv series ever done: The Wire.

Amazing, absolutely real, and with a rythm that had become a trademark of David Simons.

As the commedy share had got good advices above (Community and Spaced are quite worthy), I will just say that, The Wire, and my personal favourite, Justified.

It starts being a little low, presenting you an U.S. Marshall that is not out of place (as due to his special skill in folding the weapon quickly and deadly he's assigned back to his home town), but out of time, as he seems to look the world through the eyes of someone born 150 years before him, a Far West gunslinger, which gets him in some troubles that start to get boring through the middle of the first seasons.

But then the story starts developing and man, it's just brillian. And no surprirse after all, as Leonard Elmore is the executive producer of the show...

Oh, I forgot, there is another good reason to watch Justified: Natalie Zea. Gorgeous chick.

BRi7X

#44 Post by BRi7X » 05 Oct 2017 20:18

Dramas:
  • The Expanse (Game of Thrones in space, basically. the authors work for GRRM too! It's amazing. Seriously, watch this! Do it now!)
  • Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul (Breaking Bad prequel series featuring the crooked lawyer Saul Goodman before he became Saul!)
  • Game of Thrones
  • LOST (so mindbending!)
  • Boardwalk Empire (set in the Prohibition Era of the Roaring 1920s in Atlantic City, NJ!)
  • Homeland
Comedies:
  • South Park (also the Stick of Truth video game is an epic RPG if you're into that.) (can't watch the Imaginationland episodes without singing BG's Imaginations lol)
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Trailer Park Boys (mockumentary series)
  • Arrested Development
  • IT Crowd (british comedy)

Anime:
  • Cowboy Bebop (jazz music + 2080s space opera from the Tarantino of anime directors.)
  • Samurai Champloo (hiphop + 1600s Japanese feudal era sword swinging epicness from the same dude as Bebop)
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

nyobit

#45 Post by nyobit » 07 Oct 2017 09:52

The Tick - superhero comedy. There is one from 2001 and a more recent one from 2016.