Best PC RPG games.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Dante Aurelius

Re: Best PC RPG games.

#51 Post by Dante Aurelius » 01 Aug 2010 13:54

my favorites are diablo, nwn, baldurs gate and of cource gothic (esp. part 1 & 2). Its sad, that the gothic series doesnt work on my macbook.
how about some good old adventures like legend of kyrandia and so on? Maybe no real RPGs, but funny anyway. (I love my scumm engine *g*)

LittleMissMetal

#52 Post by LittleMissMetal » 02 Aug 2010 08:28

Planescape Torment is brilliant (I need to borrow that back off the other half and finish it) and I love Baldur's Gate 2 and the first Icewind Dale also.

Am still playing Morrowind for the first time but I'm enjoying it so far :)
Deceiver of hearts. Deceiver of fools

Alija Vila

#53 Post by Alija Vila » 05 Aug 2010 19:20

The Witcher is without any doubt my favorite. It's weird thing how can I find about many minuses for the game, but I would rate it 9.9/10. Small mistakes just don't matter how awesome it is - the world, characters, story, atmosphere. Looking forward to the second part.

I must say that I never played Baldur's Gate.

T3hOverlord

#54 Post by T3hOverlord » 06 Aug 2010 19:32

best CRPG's by FAR are The Elder Scrolls Chapter I: ARENA and The Elder Scrolls II: DAGGERFALL thay both have amazing in depth lore and im pretty sure Daggerfall has the biggest ingame map out of any game ever made. Oblivion's map (wich is known in the 21st century as being a very large, in depth game) is only 0.01 x the size of the Daggerfall map, as stated by the designers. highly reccomended.

t.a.j.

#55 Post by t.a.j. » 29 Sep 2010 09:46

Lowan wrote:LOL Everybody knows that the best RPG games are:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Diablo
  • Might And Magic
  • Ultima
  • Final Fantasy
  • Castlevania (it's kinda look a platform serie but it has more than that)
  • Icewind Dale
There is more than the list but i can say this with all my heart!
Oh, this is pure gold. Such arrogance coupled with such ignorance is really amazing.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#56 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Sep 2010 17:59

Cerbere wrote:Would it be ok if I got Fable 2 before 1 or should I definitely get 1 first?
You can play them in any order you like. They're set in the same world but are years apart in terms of its timeline. The stories aren't connected, so it's perfectly possible to play part 2 and then part one.

In fact I could make a point for just playing part two, as the first one really isn't that good. It got some praise when it was released, but it aged a lot. Part two on the other hand is quite enjoyable (though too short).
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Skyflat

#57 Post by Skyflat » 29 Sep 2010 21:42

The best RPG game is TORCHLIGHT :P

FUCKING AMAZING GAME
Hails from Cyprus!!!
http://www.Cy-Metal.com

Cerbere

#58 Post by Cerbere » 30 Sep 2010 00:03

Ailianne wrote:Hi..to all..!!!
Would it be ok if I got Fable 2 before 1 or should I definitely get 1 first?
Thanks in advance,,,!!!

best regardss....
cures for depression
Cerbere wrote:Would it be ok if I got Fable 2 before 1 or should I definitely get 1 first?
This spambot totally stole my post

Alija Vila

#59 Post by Alija Vila » 30 Sep 2010 00:29

Cerbere wrote:
Ailianne wrote:Hi..to all..!!!
Would it be ok if I got Fable 2 before 1 or should I definitely get 1 first?
Thanks in advance,,,!!!

best regardss....
cures for depression
This spambot totally stole my post
Hahahahahaha :lol:

Cerbere

#60 Post by Cerbere » 30 Sep 2010 03:58

But thats a pretty high quality spambot, it must have just copied and pasted an earlier post just to make it seem like it was legit.

The Rider Of Rohan

#61 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Oct 2010 18:33

t.a.j. wrote:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Diablo
  • Might And Magic
  • Ultima
  • Final Fantasy
  • Icewind Dale
Oh, this is pure gold. Such arrogance coupled with such ignorance is really amazing.
True. And I like to state as a fact that Castlevania is a platformer in the truest sense of the word and definitely not an rpg.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Led Guardian

#62 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Oct 2010 20:08

jsongray wrote:
Cerbere wrote:But thats a pretty high quality spambot, it must have just copied and pasted an earlier post just to make it seem like it was legit.
Well, everything in the internet is growing.. (including the number of spambots, lol)...

Anyway back to topic...

Have you ever considered Global MU Online? It's kinda like Diablo except for the characters have wings and the guilds created from all over the world..

I've been playing that since 2007.. And it's really cool, it's like a tv series that has seasons, every season has a new feature, new items, new skills, new characters and an extend level limit to make a character stronger.. There are also events like trivias, kill the GM, guessing game and bring me first game..

Kinda corny waht I'm saying but it's just fun..

Aside from hypnosis, this the only fun and exciting stuff I do.. :)

All the best!
The irony of this is so great, that I'm inclined to leave it. :lol:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Desert_Storm

#63 Post by Desert_Storm » 28 Oct 2010 23:49

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
t.a.j. wrote:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Diablo
  • Might And Magic
  • Ultima
  • Final Fantasy
  • Icewind Dale
True. And I like to state as a fact that Castlevania is a platformer in the truest sense of the word and definitely not an rpg.
It probably depends on the definition of RPG... Old-schooler that I am, I would say only the Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale are RPG's if you look at it from the Pen&Paper origins, and the rest is more like action games with rpg elements, but looking at some other posts, it doesn't seem to be the purpose of the topic to separate "real" from "false", so whatever... other than that, what's so wrong with the list?
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Palantyre

#64 Post by Palantyre » 29 Oct 2010 01:29

Castlevania is not an RPG, period. No manner or amount of "What is an RPG?" babble is going to change that.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#65 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Oct 2010 06:02

I have very liberal stance on what's an rpg and what not, but taking Castlevania as an example for the genre is a bridge too far even for me.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Desert_Storm

#66 Post by Desert_Storm » 29 Oct 2010 18:12

Palantyre wrote:Castlevania is not an RPG, period. No manner or amount of "What is an RPG?" babble is going to change that.
I wasn't gonna babble. Just found it a little harsh on the newbies, when others said that their favourite rpg was Pokemon and no one gave a damn.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

The Rider Of Rohan

#67 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Oct 2010 18:40

Well, it's kinda like when someone says "Yeah I am into metal, I have two Metallica-albums". Although I actually do regard Pokemon as an rpg.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

T3hOverlord

#68 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Dec 2010 04:39

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

t.a.j.

#69 Post by t.a.j. » 14 Dec 2010 08:38

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, it's kinda like when someone says "Yeah I am into metal, I have two Metallica-albums". Although I actually do regard Pokemon as an rpg.
So do I. I also do not regard Diablo as an RPG.

Led Guardian

#70 Post by Led Guardian » 15 Dec 2010 05:46

t.a.j. wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, it's kinda like when someone says "Yeah I am into metal, I have two Metallica-albums". Although I actually do regard Pokemon as an rpg.
So do I. I also do not regard Diablo as an RPG.
Why Pokemon but not Diablo? I don't really consider Diablo an RPG either, but I don't really see why Pokemon would be.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Mackasfour

#71 Post by Mackasfour » 04 Mar 2011 15:15

I don't think there'd be any end to people arguing about what belongs where for anything. Be it music genres or game genres :P Prepare for some arrogance cause Diablo is my fav and I don't really care if people don't consider it an RPG... I do :)
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

The Rider Of Rohan

#72 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 Aug 2011 18:31

I started playing Knights Of The Old Republic yesterday, and it has been pretty much a non-stop thing since. Man, this game is amazing. I am not quite the pc-gamer (in fact the mouse-and-keyboard-thing still feels like I went over to the dark side) but this is simply an amazing experience. Discovering planets, learning the ways of the force, discovering about intricate relationships... this is roleplaying at its best.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#73 Post by Palantyre » 10 Aug 2011 18:35

Yup, KotOR is fantastic, one of Bioware's best work. Best Star Wars entertainment since the original movie trilogy, as some reviewer said. Personally I think it's better. :P

The sequel's really good too, but not quite on the level of the first one.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

nyobit

#74 Post by nyobit » 10 Aug 2011 20:34

Yeah KotOR is a great game. It's like Bioware took best parts of every SW movie and mixed them in an awesome cocktail. Btw KotOR 2 seems to appeal more to the dark side though it might be because of one character that is constantly sowing doubts while first part seems more to the light.

The Rider Of Rohan

#75 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 Aug 2011 21:44

Please, no spoilers.

But indeed, shit's pretty epic. I have put twelve hours into it, and the story has just begun. Thats golden.

I wouldnt go as far as saying uts the best thing after the OT (simply because there has been so much great SW things in the last 15 years) but its certainly one of the best.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Gasha

#76 Post by Gasha » 20 Aug 2011 18:23

Planescape: Torment probably has the best writing ever seen in a computer game. That said, it is certainly not a game for everyone; the game is packed with text, to the point where it sometimes feel more like an interactive novel than a game. Awesome stuff, though.

The Baldur's Gate series probably has the best mix of good gameplay and good storytelling; while the plot isn't exactly groundbreaking it's certainly better than most video game plots, the characters are very memorable, and the writing is good.

Both Knights of the Old Republic games are great IMO, but for very different reasons. The first one feels very much like a Star Wars-version of Baldur's Gate 2. It's a very solid game, with a good storyline, good characters, and a wonderful atmosphere throughout. The second one is much darker, has rather complex themes and philosophy, and suffers from a rushed ending, 'causing some people to dislike it.

I had low hopes for Mass Effect after playing Dragon Age, but it turned out to be one of the best games I've ever tried. Interesting themes, compelling characters, great atmosphere. The gameplay and the combat could be a bit better, but combat has never been a big part of RPG's anyways, IMO.

Dragon Age is IMO, despite what all the "professional" reviews said when it was released, very overrated. The world and the music are generic, the characters feel wooden, and the story is predictable.

JustinWalker

#77 Post by JustinWalker » 21 Aug 2011 13:34

Final Fantasy IX ranks rather highly on my favorite RPG list, as do Morrowind and Oblivion. But I have to say, all of the mentions of Pokemon make me want to break out my Gameboy and play Pokemon Yellow. :lol:

The Rider Of Rohan

#78 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Aug 2011 20:50

Actually I don't think FF9 was ever released for the PC. Just 7, 8 and the mmo's.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#79 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Aug 2011 22:03

Another night spending KotOR, and finally the last dungeon beckons. I have pretty much only playing this game during the last two weeks, and I love the shit out of it - and I actually kick myself for not playing it earlier on. This game is a fanboy's dream - pretty much everything I wanted to do myself since seeing the OT.

Gonna give KotOR II a try too. So basically that's three major rpg's (KotOR II, Xenoblade and Deus Ex) I have to finish before the mighty Skyrim arrives. Talk of a tight schedule.

Oh, and perhaps anyone can tell me if I would prolly like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#80 Post by t.a.j. » 25 Aug 2011 09:41

Neverwinter Nights had a pretty boring original campaign, but it also had a very creative fandom creating some really amazing modules. Also, the second expansion Hordes of the Underdark was quite nice.
Baldur's Gate I, I disliked mostly because the path finding AI was very bad, once you tried to coordinate more than 2 or 3 characters, some were bound to run off somewhere and be away from the others when danger struck. Back when it first came out, I also found it very hectic and hard to keep track of what is happening. Baldur's Gate II still has some pathfinding issues but it has such a wealth of stories and little atmospheric details that I cannot but love it.
Neverwinter Nights II was all in all a vast improvement on NWN and if you liked KOTOR for more than it's Star Wars feel, you'll probably like NWN2, too.

As for KOTOR2, be aware that it is an unfinished game which will have a very confusing last couple of hours, where it is clear that many story lines that were intended to have some resolution or more detail just drop off. Apart from that, I found it amazing.

The Rider Of Rohan

#81 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 25 Aug 2011 18:21

Ok, thanks for the update. As for BG2 and NWN2 can I jump straight into them without having played the originals?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#82 Post by t.a.j. » 26 Aug 2011 14:36

BG2 continues the story from the first part, but it can easily be played without having playing BG1. NWN2 is a completely different game with one very vague references to the events of NWN1.

Led Guardian

#83 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Aug 2011 00:36

If pathfinding is the main issue you have with the game, there is a mod that will run BG1 on the BG2 engine, giving it BG2's much improved (if still not great) pathfinding AI.

prongs

#84 Post by prongs » 31 Oct 2011 16:01

Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Heed The Blind

#85 Post by Heed The Blind » 11 Nov 2011 01:34

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Tales Of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
Icewind Dale II

Icewind Dale was more for playing with friends since the all the characters could be made to fit the player.

brazilian_bard

#86 Post by brazilian_bard » 17 Jan 2012 22:12

Don't know if somebody have already posted it here, but here it goes:
I have had fun with Heroes of Might and Magic series for years: ( http://www.mightandmagic.com/HeroesV/uk/home.php )
Some people think the new ones are worst than old ones. I'm still in doubt.

Baldur's Gate I've already know. But this Ice Wind looks intersting...I'm gonna check it out.

Thanks.

The Rider Of Rohan

#87 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Jan 2012 12:13

Finally started playing KOTOR2. Great stuff indeed.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#88 Post by Led Guardian » 18 Mar 2014 05:26

For me personally I'm going to add Dragon Age on here. Also the Mass Effect series, which may now be my favorite game series ever. I seriously can't get enough of those characters. Basically, BioWare is still King/Queen of RPGs.

KotOR was absolutely fantastic. KotOR 2 was alright. It had a lot of potential, but thanks to time constraints and it getting pushed out the door before by the publisher before it was finished, some of the dialogue felt disjointed and out of place, like maybe it was triggering at the wrong time, and the gameplay pacing at a lot of parts was terrible. I don't really blame Obsidian for that though. I think it could have been amazing if they'd had time.

The Witcher games are also great, especially 2. The storytelling was better, and it suffered less from the severe backtracking that plagued the first.

You know what? I'm also going to include Telltale's The Walking Dead. I know it doesn't really qualify as an traditional CRPG from a mechanical perspective, but I think it qualifies in spirit. It has what I regard as the most important aspect of an RPG, which is a strong focus on story, characters, and player-controlled character interactions. It's so good.

Looking forward to finally playing Planescape: Torment. Also Torment: Tides o:f Numenera when that comes out. The first project I've backed on Kickstarter.

Dragon Age: Inquisition will be out later this year, and it's looking good so far. I was going to say Witcher 3 would be out this year too, but I just found out it's been delayed until next year. :cry

Frozen within

#89 Post by Frozen within » 27 Mar 2014 00:44

Fuck here I was thinking I was going to say Dragon Age (especially DA 2), and be the first to mention it :o Really like this type of action rpg, where you have incredible freedom to approach your battles and have a ton of background story to go through if you'd like to.
Eat more vegetables !

Mouine12

Re:

#90 Post by Mouine12 » 12 Aug 2017 03:47

t.a.j. wrote:
20 Apr 2008 21:41
Diablo is not an RPG.
It's an RTS game with just one unit.

Baldur's Gate 2 is an RPG with combat that plays like an RTS game with a handfull of units that require massive micromanagement and can't find their way anywhere.

Fallout 2 is almost perfect. It lacks some of the depth of character we find in Black Isle titles, but that's really not that much of a detriment. This should take a well justified first position.

Knights Of The Old Republic. Baldur's Gate transfers reims had great characters? If so, this game has people instead. KotOR mixes great storytelling, awesome atmosphere and lifelike characters with a good gaming interface. Too bad the overall game structure had some deficits.

Gothic 2 let's you explore stuff almost totally freely. Too bad it plays too much like an ego shooter with swords most of the time.

Jagged Alliance 2 is a turn based skirmish tactical game with wonderful and hillarious characters, lot's of stuff to do and a very good combat system. Too bad it lacks in RPGishness.

I guess some ultima title should go here, but I haven't really played any.

Though outpaced in storytelling and immersion by more recent titles, WIzardry 6-8 are still the kings of old school RPGs.

It bears repeating that Diablo is not an RPG.
I agrre with you 8)