Starcraft II

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Sleeping Dragon

Starcraft II

#1 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 26 Jul 2010 23:45

tonight it cometh!

ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

sharpened_graphite

Re: Starcraft II

#2 Post by sharpened_graphite » 27 Jul 2010 00:04

Getting it is the first thing tomorrow morning, too bad all I have is a crummy laptop capable of running it only on the lowest graphic quality settings with an average of 30 FPS. But still VERY excited. :D

Cerbere

#3 Post by Cerbere » 27 Jul 2010 22:32

Only terran campaign :( . I'm still getting it for sure though.

Sleeping Dragon

#4 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 27 Jul 2010 22:59

holy shit, it's not 60$, it's fucking 60€... guess i'll have to wait for some more cash before i tap that.

*grumble*

Palantyre

#5 Post by Palantyre » 27 Jul 2010 23:30

Sleeping Dragon wrote:holy shit, it's not 60$, it's fucking 60€... guess i'll have to wait for some more cash before i tap that.

*grumble*
Check your local stores as well. CDon, a Nordic online store, is selling it for 45€. Maybe someplace over there is cheaper, too.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

No‘am

#6 Post by No‘am » 28 Jul 2010 14:19

I also heard that you can only play it while you're connected to the internet, even if you play only single-player.
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Mackasfour

#7 Post by Mackasfour » 28 Jul 2010 14:31

Why is everyone doing that now, net requirement is shitting me so much. So flawed
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Sleeping Dragon

#8 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 28 Jul 2010 17:13

No‘am wrote:I also heard that you can only play it while you're connected to the internet, even if you play only single-player.
where did you hear that? as far as they say, it's only the multiplayer mode that's limited to battle.net, with no LAN options.

No‘am

#9 Post by No‘am » 28 Jul 2010 17:42

Sleeping Dragon wrote:
No‘am wrote:I also heard that you can only play it while you're connected to the internet, even if you play only single-player.
where did you hear that? as far as they say, it's only the multiplayer mode that's limited to battle.net, with no LAN options.
A friend told me that, he checked again and it wasn't very clear, seems like you only need an internet connection to maybe initially operate the game, by using a battlenet account or something, and not a constant connection. But still, not allowing LAN (unless you're a Korean) is bad enough, I think.

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

No‘am

#10 Post by No‘am » 28 Jul 2010 17:47

Okay, this is quoted off one of the Blizzard guys:
"You don't technically have to (login), but you'll want to. You can play in offline mode if you want - I just don't think you're going to want to. You'll be giving up lots and lots of features, and why would you want to be giving up features?"
http://kotaku.com/5344013/starcraft-ii- ... ed-offline

Sounds a bit fishy.

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Sleeping Dragon

#11 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 28 Jul 2010 20:26

nah, they just realised, as good companies do, that the main attraction of starcraft is online play. from what teasers they have releases, there's a huge emphasis on team play and online ranking.

i normally never even consider buying computer games, mostly i barely have time to even play them. but blizzard has always been an exception, they treat game development like artwork, i trust them not to sacrifice gaming quality for money-grabbing greed.

starngely enough, the last game i remember buying is Diablo II, back in the year 2000. last time i played it online was a few months ago.

but on the other hand, the price in the US is 60 USD, the price in europe is also 60 but Euro. either they hadn't heard of currency exchange, or they have heard of currency exchange. :wink:

Traveller in Time

#12 Post by Traveller in Time » 28 Jul 2010 21:37

At german amazon you get if for 39 euros.
a friend of mine played 10 missions so far and said you play human but he also played some flashbacks as protoss
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Sleeping Dragon

#13 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 29 Jul 2010 22:30

i just spent 13 hours playing the damn thing. it's pretty awesome!

you get to control some elements of the story and choose missions and stuff like never before. and the hidden extra artsy stuff in the background to play around with are just brilliant.

Sleeping Dragon

#14 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 29 Jul 2010 22:33

i also checked it, you can play offline. but the achievement points you earn for bonus missions and stuff won't register on your battle.net account.

T-Fizzle

#15 Post by T-Fizzle » 29 Jul 2010 22:59

So as long as you have the net running (which to be honest, most of us will do) while you play you should be fine.

Assassin's Creed 2 annoys me with that though, as I set it to d/c automatically at midnight so it reminds me to go to bed...Saturday nights and I'm into the game and I never see the time! :lol:
Kickin' names and takin' ass.

Sleeping Dragon

#16 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 30 Jul 2010 08:17

they put a clock on the main battle.net menu, so between games you see the time. :P

Mackasfour

#17 Post by Mackasfour » 30 Jul 2010 08:23

T-Fizzle wrote:So as long as you have the net running (which to be honest, most of us will do) while you play you should be fine.

Assassin's Creed 2 annoys me with that though, as I set it to d/c automatically at midnight so it reminds me to go to bed...Saturday nights and I'm into the game and I never see the time! :lol:
The exact reason that game is in pieces here :mrgreen:
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

T-Fizzle

#18 Post by T-Fizzle » 30 Jul 2010 17:46

:mrgreen:

Allegedly, though, the other two campaigns are set to be the same length. I shall believe it when I see it tbh.

Cerbere

#19 Post by Cerbere » 30 Jul 2010 18:00

I heard they're gonna charge $60 for each campaign also

T-Fizzle

#20 Post by T-Fizzle » 30 Jul 2010 19:41

I'll probably wait until it's released as a trilogy boxset.

Sleeping Dragon

#21 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 30 Jul 2010 22:38

it's the end of day-2. i have 2 missions left in the campaign and i'm off to bed in exhaustion.

Juss

#22 Post by Juss » 01 Aug 2010 17:07

Make no mistake. War is coming, with all it's glory... and all it's horror
And all it's bitchy region restrictions and forced localization.
I'm on a mission to escape from what my life has been
Ozzy Osbourne wrote:"Yea, Balrogs have wings and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
Yeah Balrogs have wings and you gotta believe me
I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes"

notimportant

#23 Post by notimportant » 01 Aug 2010 20:22

It's shame i know but i never played starcraft but i'm planning on getting this one hence a few questions. I really like plot in games (even in those that just pretend to have one eg. KOTOR 2) so is it necessary to play previous SC to fully enjoy plot in thiso one? I'm not good with real time strategies (Heroes FTW!) so is there some tutaorial at the beginning or they just assume "OMG its starcraft every1 knows how to play it lol" ?

Palantyre

#24 Post by Palantyre » 02 Aug 2010 11:49

notimportant wrote:It's shame i know but i never played starcraft but i'm planning on getting this one hence a few questions. I really like plot in games (even in those that just pretend to have one eg. KOTOR 2) so is it necessary to play previous SC to fully enjoy plot in thiso one? I'm not good with real time strategies (Heroes FTW!) so is there some tutaorial at the beginning or they just assume "OMG its starcraft every1 knows how to play it lol" ?
Knowledge of the first game's plot is not necessary, as it is explained during the installation process of SC2. Quite a nifty idea, actually.
And I'm not sure if there is a separate tutorial mission or such, but there are tutorial videos that can be accessed from within the game. And it's really quite a simple game mechanically, shouldn't be hard to learn. Just play on easy difficulty for a while to learn the ropes. :)

Baby_Kürsch

#25 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 07 Aug 2010 09:23

Blizzard needs to learn to make NEW games. Not rehash old games. Im sure StarCraft 2 is fantastic. I played Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo when I was younger. But when is Blizzard going to do something NEW that blows us away? RTS? Are you serious? They have been making the same games over and over again for 16 fucking years. RTS games are fun. Warcraft was fun. Diablo was fun (this one is not an RTS I know this). Starcraft was fun. But that those are all WAS. Ill play Starcraft 2 when I illegally download it. But man I wish Blizzard would make a fresh game. Not a stale old game with a new paint job. Blizzard is a great company thats awesome at making money. But they are getting old.

Not to mention their fancy way of making money by putting out 1 single game in 3 installments. I cant help but feel like Blizzard is raping people and everyone is just bending over to take it.

Edit: Ive been playing World of Warcraft on and off since launch. So I dont hate Blizzard or anything I just wish gaming company's would do something new. Move forward. That kinda thing.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Sleeping Dragon

#26 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 07 Aug 2010 13:41

actually, the campaign is epic enough to be a stand-alone game. there are also a few protoss missions in it. this is no ordinary RTS, i promise you.

the one problem i have with the game is its compatibility issues. after running the game for over a week without a single glitch, these guys release a patch which refuses to install itself and completely shuts me out of the game, even the offline single player.

notimportant

#27 Post by notimportant » 09 Aug 2010 12:57

Awesome game, the only thing i don't like is that in every (well almost) mission you get some new unit/ship/mech and map is designed specially for that unit. I'm already halfway through but becouse of that the campaign feels like a giant tutorial.

t.a.j.

#28 Post by t.a.j. » 09 Aug 2010 13:22

Baby_Kürsch wrote:
Not to mention their fancy way of making money by putting out 1 single game in 3 installments. I cant help but feel like Blizzard is raping people and everyone is just bending over to take it.

Rape refers to sexual assault, not to being made to pay more than one thinks is justified.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

notimportant

#29 Post by notimportant » 09 Aug 2010 16:02

Semantic Nazi.

sharpened_graphite

#30 Post by sharpened_graphite » 09 Aug 2010 17:08

t.a.j. wrote:
Baby_Kürsch wrote:

Rape refers to sexual assault, not to being made to pay more than one thinks is justified.
Actually "rape" literally means "to wrest/snatch something by force". It acquired the specific sexual meaning only around the beginning of the twentieth century or so.

...If we're already going to nitpick about the precise meaning of words. :D

Sleeping Dragon

#31 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 10 Aug 2010 06:25

yeah, well, i just found a new word for awesome: Starcraft II.

Palantyre

#32 Post by Palantyre » 13 Aug 2010 01:07

Just finished the campaign on Hard difficulty, except for one mission I had to do on Normal.

Also got gold in all the skill challenges.

Now, if only I wasn't utterly worthless in multiplayer games. :lol:
Well I'm quite handy against the AI, because I used to play the first game cooperatively quite a lot, But against a human opponent I just keel over and die in like five minutes.

teo_guardian

#33 Post by teo_guardian » 07 Nov 2010 06:14

Sleeping Dragon wrote:holy shit, it's not 60$, it's fucking 60€... guess i'll have to wait for some more cash before i tap that.

*grumble*
i got it for 38 euros 8)

JerryJones

#34 Post by JerryJones » 04 Mar 2011 11:40

StarCraft II continues the legend saga of the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg. In order to sign up for the StarCraft II beta, you first need to register a Battle.net account. You can also go in to the beta for StarCraft II.

Grim

#35 Post by Grim » 03 May 2011 08:10

so far the best game ever :)
...Why do we despise the world that gave us life? Why wouldn't the world survive us, like any organism survives a virus? ...What would that look like? What if this is the last winter, before the collapse? And hope dies.
The Last Winter

„Няма власт над оная глава, която е готова да се отдели от плещите си в името на свободата и за благото на цялото човечество.“
Христо Ботев (1848 - 1876)