you prefer old or new Blind Guardian?

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.

Old BG or New BG?

old(BOF,FTB,TFTTW,SFB,IFTOS)
22%
new(NIME,ANATO,ATITM,)
32%
i like all their albums the same way
46%

Total votes: 110

teo_guardian

you prefer old or new Blind Guardian?

#1 Post by teo_guardian » 29 Nov 2009 02:21

I was chatting on a greek forum about this band and i realized that there is a ton of people who loved the first 5 albums but
hate everything after them..i can't understand them..there are a lot of people who prefer only old BG stuff and a lot Who prefer only new stuff..i personally like everything they made....what about you?

power_dysfunction

Re: you prefer old or new Blind Guardian?

#2 Post by power_dysfunction » 29 Nov 2009 07:26

I love everything they've ever written, but I consider the first three albums only very good, while the ones to follow comprise some of the most brilliant music ever written.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

SozosMichael

#3 Post by SozosMichael » 29 Nov 2009 10:20

I love everything they've ever written, but I consider the first three albums only very good, while the ones to follow comprise some of the most brilliant music ever written.
+1

Gandalf de Grijze

#4 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 29 Nov 2009 12:48

i agree, the first three are good, but have some weak songs, from sfb onward they both had finally had their own style, and the songs were without exception all great songs or better.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Mahoora

#5 Post by Mahoora » 29 Nov 2009 13:32

Even though I like all of their work, but I prefer the new stuff. it just kicks ass besides their early albums have some weak songs, and also I'm not into speed metal stuff like in the past, now I'm more into melodic epic progressive stuff
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

Lilyael

#6 Post by Lilyael » 29 Nov 2009 13:54

I love SFB, but not terribly keen on the other old ones, I much prefer from NiME onwards, those albums kick ass. Totally. And like Mahoora I'm not really into speed metal
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Verruckter

#7 Post by Verruckter » 30 Nov 2009 05:01

The new stuff is by far better. BoF and FtB just don't cut it for me (appart from a few songs like Banish, etc).

The recent albums have so much more depths and complexity, the ideas are much clearer and elaborate. They're just so many times better.

Dentarthurdent

#8 Post by Dentarthurdent » 01 Dec 2009 22:18

There new stuff is great, but since I'm generally a great Old School-fan, I vote for the older stuff. Makes me also anti-mainstream on here :)
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Balmazer

#9 Post by Balmazer » 01 Dec 2009 22:55

I think they're both equal and both are vastly important in what makes Blind Guardian great. They're two different styles and along the way there's been progression. If it wasn't for that Blind Guardian would just sound the same and they wouldn't be nearly as interesting or good.

Beren Ercharmion

#10 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 01 Dec 2009 23:16

I'm a fan of their "middle" albums mostly - Tales, Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations and Nightfall, so I can't really vote.
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Arwen Arianna

#11 Post by Arwen Arianna » 02 Dec 2009 00:36

Even though I like their first albums as well, it's abolutely clear that I prefer what they're doing nowadays...
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Dwarfare

#12 Post by Dwarfare » 02 Dec 2009 01:49

I prefer middle Blind Guardian. And no, not being a smartass. NiME, ANatO and IftoS are my favorite albums, but I don't really like the old, speed-metalish stuff (Follow the Blind, Battalions of Fear, Tales from the Twilight World). The newest album, for some reason, just never caught on with me that much. Given what they delivered with Sacred, though, and Hansi's feelings on the album, I have the feeling that I'll be liking this new one much better!

Dentarthurdent

#13 Post by Dentarthurdent » 02 Dec 2009 10:43

Thrash Till Death, Fuckers :P
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

Razor Sigh

#14 Post by Razor Sigh » 02 Dec 2009 13:51

BG old stuff is definitely best, up to SFB. It's fast, energetic, highly melodic and inspiring. Hansi screamed as devil :twisted: instead of his modern whinings :( After IFTOS there came lots of experiments and boring stuff which I strongly dislike. The band of course has written some great pieces since then but most of the songs is boring and hardly enjoyable. ANATO and ATITM is a total disaster to my mind. 2k decade is completely lost. If they go on in such a manner on the next album, I'll definitely stop following them once and for all and concentrate only on their ancient glorious legacy.
Dentarthurdent wrote:Thrash Till Death, Fuckers :P
You're absolutely right, dude! Thrash rulez! \m/

Gends

#15 Post by Gends » 03 Dec 2009 01:30

Though "Follow the Blind" is the one I listen to more often (from Hall of the King to Valhalla that album all pure epicness), but I'd say the middle BG.

HeavenCanWait

#16 Post by HeavenCanWait » 04 Dec 2009 11:53

me likes all their stuff. Like a true BG whore.

Edain

#17 Post by Edain » 04 Dec 2009 13:50

Nay, I just can't listen to the old albums. Most songs above-standard Speedmetal-repetetiveness, a Hansi who didn't actually -sing- ... Some good songs but nothing compared to the post-IFTOS-stuff.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Andreas

#18 Post by Andreas » 04 Dec 2009 16:28

I voted for the newer stuff, 'cause I'm mainstream 8)

Lilyael

#19 Post by Lilyael » 04 Dec 2009 18:29

And my favourite song is Fly, or maybe Another Stranger Me, because I'm commercial. What a sell-out. And didn't I say earlier on this forum that Sacred sounds like something Girls Aloud would sing. You can't get more commercial than that. Does it mean it doesn't rock ? Not at all !
I can't wait for the new stuff. Well I mean I can, I have to, but.....I have ants in my pants about it.

Edain

#20 Post by Edain » 04 Dec 2009 21:03

By the way: Fuck that "commercial or not?"-discussion. Last week Sunrise Avenue played in a local club, there were about 300 people. Blind Guardian draws 1.000 to 2.000 people to a single show here. So Guardian is more commercial than Sunrise Avenue? Who's better or trver now, the Metalband or the Popband that draws about as many people as Anaal Natrakh?

Twist is a kickass album. Lionheart is worth more than the whole BoF-album. 8)

Dentarthurdent

#21 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 Dec 2009 21:05

Edain wrote:Twist is a kickass album. Lionheart is worth more than the whole BoF-album. 8)
This comment lost you pretty much every sympathy I could have for you.

Edain

#22 Post by Edain » 04 Dec 2009 21:06

Hehe, tastes differ, don't they?

Dentarthurdent

#23 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 Dec 2009 21:18

Edain wrote:Hehe, tastes differ, don't they?
They do indeed. Oooooooooooooooh, Majesty!

Edain

#24 Post by Edain » 04 Dec 2009 21:21

Well, Majesty might be the only song to be equal to the new stuff - in fact, it's quite cool. :wink:

Dentarthurdent

#25 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 Dec 2009 21:22

Well, I only happened to sing it because it's the one playing right now. Guardian of the Blind and BAttalions of Fear at the least might be even a bit better. And the rest is just as good. Gotta love the Martyr.

Maglor's Fate

#26 Post by Maglor's Fate » 05 Dec 2009 16:58

Definitely. The -not played live- songs of the first two albums are just as good as "majesty" or "banish". The mArtyr, guardian of the blind, damned for all time, hall of the king (with the slow thrash part after the first refrain - mind-blowing!!-). Got to love all the stuff though,so no choice for me, all albums have their "spirit".

The_Wolf98

#27 Post by The_Wolf98 » 05 Dec 2009 19:51

I like them all, however my favorites would have to be Imaginations from the Other Side, Nightfall in Middle-Earth, and A Twist in the Myth. Then again I haven't listened to any other albums exept A Night at the Opera. So I guess I like them all.

Lilyael

#28 Post by Lilyael » 05 Dec 2009 19:53

ah....new member :D Welcome ! :mrgreen:

Listen to Somewhere Far Beyond, that's pretty cool too

The_Wolf98

#29 Post by The_Wolf98 » 05 Dec 2009 19:56

Lilyael wrote:ah....new member :D Welcome ! :mrgreen:

Listen to Somewhere Far Beyond, that's pretty cool too
Thanks, Of that album I've only listened to The Bard's Song, which got me into Blind Guardian and Metal, so yeah, I'll definitely check out the rest of the album. :mrgreen:

Drex

#30 Post by Drex » 05 Dec 2009 20:17

Maglor's Fate wrote:Definitely. The -not played live- songs of the first two albums are just as good as "majesty" or "banish". The mArtyr, guardian of the blind, damned for all time, hall of the king (with the slow thrash part after the first refrain - mind-blowing!!-). Got to love all the stuff though,so no choice for me, all albums have their "spirit".
You know what songs I like a lot? Follow The Blind and Beyond The Ice. I wish they'd pull those out live sometime.

alleyesonazarath

#31 Post by alleyesonazarath » 08 Dec 2009 22:52

I love Blind Guardian, I love just about all their songs except a couple (Tommy Knockers being one of them). This band is the only band I can ever get excited about. This band latently lead me into the wonderful worlds of fantasy and fiction, as well helped me discover my desire to write and create.

I've loved this band since 2003, and my commitment to being their tool is strong. They do not know me, but I have benefited greatly because of them.

Yes, I am insane. That's ok though, I'm harmless as long as you keep the blowtorch, pliers, and red rubber nose away from me.

Frodli

#32 Post by Frodli » 08 Dec 2009 23:17

I chose third option. I will never think otherwise, 'cause Bards are my favourite band and they are with me from beginning of my metal's adventure...

Old Blind Guardian is heavier and speeder, but new Blind Guardian got many good ideas too.
My english is bad, well sorry for mistakes :)

Mackasfour

#33 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Dec 2009 07:55

There isn't a single song in Blind Guardian's discography that I'd skip, no matter what mood
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

somnia

#34 Post by somnia » 09 Dec 2009 14:55

I don't think that seperation is right at the first place. IFTOS belongs more to NIME than SFB, and I actually believe that ATITM is the start of a third era.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

bestpike

#35 Post by bestpike » 25 Dec 2009 11:00

There is no old and new Blind guardian in my mind. There is only Blind guardian
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

NDS

#36 Post by NDS » 28 Dec 2009 12:58

I like all albums, but ofcourse every band has it's good and bad songs.
To the glory of the fucking Underground!

Under ground is where the true artists roam!

The Frederick

#37 Post by The Frederick » 28 Dec 2009 17:09

Edain wrote:Last week Sunrise Avenue played in a local club, there were about 300 people. Blind Guardian draws 1.000 to 2.000 people to a single show here.
Where are you from? I thought BG would draw a lot more than 2000 anywhere.

The Frederick

#38 Post by The Frederick » 28 Dec 2009 17:10

Not a huge fan of the first two, but there were some memorable songs (Majesty, Valhalla, Wizard's Crown).

Everything after that is gold, though.

t.a.j.

#39 Post by t.a.j. » 29 Dec 2009 10:58

Here's how I would group the albums:

Battalions of Fear & Follow the Blind - Sturm und Drang. The early, diamond in the rough period. Pro: youthful energy and boundless enthusiasm meet with a great sense of melody. Cons: BoF has lousy production and Hansi's singing is not all that good yet.

Tales from the Twilight World & Somewhere Far Beyond: I am tempted to call this the classic period, because it's when I discovered Guardian, but I suppose the next period should by all rights be called classic. So I will call this the RPG period, because it is this time when BG was discovered by the roleplaying/fantasy scene and in that way expended their listener base beyond the classic metal fans. Pro: It's what I grew up with. Also, the music becomes more refined, Hansi's singing improved greatly and this is where we first get that sense of epicness. Cons: Less energetic than before, less over the top than later stuff.

Imaginations from the Other Side & Nightfall in Middle-Earth: The classic period. This is when BG had their great commercial creak through and where the ceased to be just another excellent metal band and became a class onto themselves. Pro: IFTOS was something completely new. Never had metal sounded like this. NIME went beyond even IFTOS into the land of long fiddly guitar leads that almost completely replaced the usually heavy riffs. Cons: At some points the long fiddly guitar leads might have better been a riff instead.

A Night at the Opera & A Twist in the Myth: The new period. ANATO saw the death of the riff and had songs that seemed to be an endless sequence of guitar leads, ATITM moved back from fiddly land and brought more modern riffing and sounds as one might have expected from Tool or similar bands. Also, commercial success only increased.
Pro: lot's of choir work: the ten thousand Hansis!. Long fiddly guitar leads instead of riffs (if that's your thing). Con: Too much choir work. Long fiddly guitar leads instead of riffs. (If you're a bit like me)

A more rough sorting would put the first four albums into the Conservative Period and the last four into the Experimental Period. Some might entertain the idea that ANATO and ATITM or even just ATITM Experimental Period. Resist that thought. In 1995, there was nothing like IFTOS. It broke with so many conventions, from production values to songwriting, to the use of choirs, the combination of all that technical stuff with the high speed of the songs, the first appearance of the long fiddly guitar leads. And this was in a time when most metal was either hardcore in disguise, actually hip-hop crossover, post-death metal or black metal. The 80ties bands had disappeared almost completely. In Germany, there were Gamma Ray, Running Wild and BG, who still were a presence, while Britain was dead and the only American Band of the genre releasing anything worth mentioning was Iced Earth. IFTOS was an experiment and a highly successful at that. With it, BG sowed the seeds to revitalize the genre and almost all of the later Bands would cite BG and that album as an influence. Though it took until 1997 and that horrible Glory to the Brave album to bring the genre back into the commercial mainstream of the metal scene, from an artistic point of view, IFTOS was ten times as relevant as any Hammerfall album ever.

So now you know it.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#40 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Dec 2009 13:11

I would propose a slightly different tiering of the albums.

Ancient Guardian: Batallions, Follow
Classic Guardian: TFTTW, SFB, IFTOS, NIME
Nu-Guardian: ANATO, ATITM

Motivation.... In the Ancient period the naivity and the frshness of the band shone through. Those two albums released then sure have a childish charm typical of a band starting to find their sound.

The classic period started with the release of TFTTW which acted as a blueprint for the bands style in the years to come. The style was finetuned through the albums coming afterwards and was perfected on NIME.

The Nu-period was born out of a desire to do something different with the sound. It started off with going overboard on the songwriting and the production and going back to basics directly afterwards. It was a direction which alienated a lot of fans - and a bandmember.

Edit: so basically what Tex wrote.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Edain

#41 Post by Edain » 30 Dec 2009 14:17

The Frederick wrote:
Edain wrote:Last week Sunrise Avenue played in a local club, there were about 300 people. Blind Guardian draws 1.000 to 2.000 people to a single show here.
Where are you from? I thought BG would draw a lot more than 2000 anywhere.
Vienna - I just wrote 1.000 to 2.000 because it's approximately the size of the venue the play regularly here - and last time sold it out. But the venue has now got a much bigger hall (I'd say 3.000 to 4.000) so it will be interesting to see if they manage a "sold out" again.

Arwen Arianna

#42 Post by Arwen Arianna » 30 Dec 2009 15:12

seems like they play in bigger venues almost everwhere this time :S
We shall see ;)
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!

rdyfrde

#43 Post by rdyfrde » 30 Dec 2009 23:18

I don't really like the first two albums, save for a few songs. Everything after that is fine with me :)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Arwen Arianna

#44 Post by Arwen Arianna » 31 Dec 2009 03:04

rdyfrde wrote:I don't really like the first two albums, save for a few songs. Everything after that is fine with me :)
finally someone who agrees :)
They weren't bad, but not outstanding. I wouldn't be such a die-hard BG fan if the still wrote music like that.
Bpgk!

Mackasfour

#45 Post by Mackasfour » 31 Dec 2009 03:35

Neither, though I still like it
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

t.a.j.

#46 Post by t.a.j. » 31 Dec 2009 09:57

I like the first two better than the last two.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Andreas

#47 Post by Andreas » 31 Dec 2009 17:46

With me it's the other way around

Thorin Eichenschild

#48 Post by Thorin Eichenschild » 27 Jan 2010 14:08

I love all of their albums. They changed over the years but they always stayd great.

Thalassocracy

#49 Post by Thalassocracy » 27 Jan 2010 14:51

Hi all.

New user here, this is my first post!

So, intro out of the way, onto the poll.

I answered that I prefer the later stuff. ANATO was the album that got me into BG, but ATITM was the album that really converted me to a diehard fan.

However, I answered that I prefer the latter stuff primarily because I didn't want to sit on the fence and answer "all of them". Making a definitive choice is always more interesting in
my book. :). In actual fact I'm a big fan of most of their stuff and enjoy a lot of the earlier albums also. Especially the middle period. IFTOS is a work of genius in my opinion.

But if pressed to choose, my preference is the later stuff.

Cheers.
Out of the dark, back to the light, then I'll break down the walls around my heart....

Hexon

#50 Post by Hexon » 27 Jan 2010 15:32

Everything on ANATO is amazing. But I don't consider liking it all as 'sitting on the fence.' They remake their sound with every album, its something that a lot of bands don't achieve and its a mark of a musician.