Manilla Road

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Perse

Manilla Road

#1 Post by Perse » 31 Aug 2014 23:18

Hello there

I recently came across Manilla Road and bought their album Crystal Logic. Athough music like this usually isn't my thing I quite like it. Except for Feeling Free Again. But how great are Flaming Metal System, Necropolis, The Riddle Master, Dreams of Eschaton etc?
Now to my question: Those of you who are familiar with the band, which albums can you recommend? Are their new albums worth the money or should I get their older stuff first?

Thanks

gergor

Re: Manilla Road

#2 Post by gergor » 02 Sep 2014 12:51

If you like the weird Epic/US Metal stuff from Crystal Logic, you should probably go with Open the Gates and The Deluge first. And Mark of the Beast - which features old songs, but wasn't released until something 2000-ish.
First attempts of this style can also be found on Metal, including the most epic song ever written: Cage of Mirrors.

The newer/post-reunion stuff is worth the money, something between "solid" and "great stuff", but if you just got into the band and like Crystal Logic, I'd highly recommend to start with the albums above.

Don't know if the rest appeals to you: Invasion is merely Psychedelic Rock, Mystification and Out of the Abyss do have some hints of Thrash (and have 100-proof-thrash-songs), Circus Maximus isn't actually a MR-album and sounds strange.

Perse

#3 Post by Perse » 04 Sep 2014 00:23

Thank you very much, I'm going to get Open the Gates and The Deluge next.
Just one more question: What do you think about Atlantis Rising and The Courts of Chaos? They seem to be quite popular albums for them, are they recommendable?
And again: Thanks for the tips!

gergor

#4 Post by gergor » 04 Sep 2014 12:32

I know some people who think that Courts of Chaos is among their best. It IS indeed a great album, can't go wrong there, though it's imho even for MR-standards weird. I'd say it's the style of all the previous albums awkwardly mixed together.

To be honest, I haven't listened to anything from Atlantis Rising besides the title track, so I can't really say something about it.

Perse

#5 Post by Perse » 12 Sep 2014 13:32

Thanks again!
I got The Deluge first, the artwork somehow appealed to me :D The music rocks, too. Open the Gates and Courts of Chaos are on their way, too. So thank you very much!

crzgfx

#7 Post by crzgfx » 27 Jan 2015 20:18

My favourite album is Mark of the Beast. It is very psychedelic and not at all like any album after Invasion - although the snippets from the next album REALLY sound like Mark of the Beast.

I posess Invasion (debut, rather spacy, very raw and nearly no structure, but fun and sometimes adventurous), Metal (really weak, but some good songs), Open the Gates (really great, US Power Metal with epic lyrics, interesting and unusual song structures, more "glorious" feeling overall), The Deluge (thrashier, angrier, madder, crazier...great one), Mystification (thrashier and speedier, but weeker, nice album all the same), Mark's side project Circus Maximus (just two or so good songs, the rest is boring as hell), Playground of The Damned (scary, doomy, gloomy, but melodious and VERY underrated, really great) and Mysterium (repetitive at some points - a riff is rehashed on three or four songs, solos remind a lot of earlier ones -, but nevertheless great, again nice melodies). The later albums are darker and doomier, but never leave Heavy/PM/Doom-territory. I'd recommend Playgrounds, Open the Gates, Mark of the Beast and the Deluge as a starting point. One of the few bands that maintain their strenght! You'll never get bored by any of the new albums, they all have a different touch.