Annette Olzon is out of Nightwish too!

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Orodaran

Annette Olzon is out of Nightwish too!

#1 Post by Orodaran » 01 Oct 2012 20:29

Well, here's the talk-a-lot-say-nothing press release to make the Tarja fanboys happy and the Annette lovers sad:

http://www.nightwish.com/en/news#2187
Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex-After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone.
We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together.

- NIGHTWISH & Anette Olzon
Floor Jansen in Nightwish should be something to behold and to hear!!!! what will they do next? get another operatic singer? get another one like Annette? go on holiday after the tour and not think about it for two years?

I find it also weird that they don't really say a bit more, and that they let her go one gig after she returned after an hospitalization.... but hey, at least they didn't let her find a letter that was saying "You're a cunt and your husband is an asshole, you're out. PS: All the internet knows it"
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Dentarthurdent

Re: Annette Olzon is out of Nightwish too!

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 02 Oct 2012 16:51

[x] Montserrat Caballé
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

T3hOverlord

#3 Post by T3hOverlord » 02 Oct 2012 22:35

Well that's just fucking gay.

Dentarthurdent

#4 Post by Dentarthurdent » 03 Oct 2012 21:13

Nightwish? Aye.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

gergor

#5 Post by gergor » 04 Oct 2012 10:44

Well, Tarja was just annoying, while new Nightwish was at least some dummy pop-rock with quite a nice female singer.
Maybe they'll finally become a good band...

Midnight

#6 Post by Midnight » 04 Oct 2012 14:45

I actually liked the two albums with Annette contrary to the rest of their discography.

Gandalf de Grijze

#7 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 05 Oct 2012 12:26

Well, with Floor being one of the very best female vocalists, maybe even THE best, this should definately count as the best line-up for nightwish ever, even if it may be only temporary.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Joost

#8 Post by Joost » 06 Oct 2012 11:40

I would go for Lemmy in Nightwish. Either him or Tom Waits.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

T3hOverlord

#9 Post by T3hOverlord » 06 Oct 2012 20:36

Joost wrote:I would go for Lemmy in Nightwish. Either him or Tom Waits.

Haha, just imagine Tom Waits singing Amaranth

CARESS THE ONE, THE NEVER FADING RAIN IN YOUR HEART, THESE TEARS OF SNOW WHITE SORROW

Palantyre

#10 Post by Palantyre » 09 Oct 2012 18:41

Joost wrote:I would go for Lemmy in Nightwish. Either him or Tom Waits.
Or Chris Boltendahl.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Palantyre

#11 Post by Palantyre » 23 Jan 2013 21:11

I'm just gonna leave this here: http://youtu.be/3brcfttchzA

Seriously, that woman. Just..... god DAMN.
I guess you could say that performance just floored me.

*ba-dum tish*

Gandalf de Grijze

#12 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 23 Jan 2013 21:44

i said it before and i'll say it again, Floor is the best!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Frozen within

#13 Post by Frozen within » 24 Jan 2013 00:15

DAMN woman 8)

This vocal performance is fucking stunning, I can't say I've heard this song ever being sung better by anyone else before.
Eat more vegetables !

Palantyre

#14 Post by Palantyre » 24 Jan 2013 02:33

Frozen within wrote: This vocal performance is fucking stunning
It is, and in addition her stage presence and charisma are off the damn scale. Tarja and Anette are like cheap karaoke hostesses in comparison.

Zook

#15 Post by Zook » 24 Jan 2013 05:14

I'll always like the studio version the best, but this was a beautiful performance. I hope Floor stays with Nightwish.

ErHaO

#16 Post by ErHaO » 24 Jan 2013 23:23

It is going really well with some of favourite bands regarding getting new vocalists. Usually I don't like this happening but I love Tommy for Kamelot (Silverthorn has some killer tracks and I love Seventh Wonder), really dig Stu Block for Iced Earth and Nightwish has the real golden replacement, as Floor is exceptional in many ways and is better than Tarja and Anna together imo. For Iced and Kamelot it somehow infused the bands with new energy and they both released their best records in years (I really like Matt Barlow and enjoy Khan his voice but the last records of both bands sucked imo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYzYpQjPOC8

No Metal but a small classical piece sung by Floor at Dutch television very recently. What a range and technique!

Zook

#17 Post by Zook » 27 Jan 2013 21:03

I have to disagree. Dystopia was a massive disappointment for me, and most of it was because of Stu, but a lot had to do with Jon phoning it in and producing some boring tunes also. Live, Stu is butchering the songs with his awful Barlow impressions. There is no reason he needs to sing with that fake voice when he can sing the songs just fine in his natural voice. Framing Armageddon and Crucible of Man were mostly great in my opinion, but not on par with classic Iced Earth.

I do agree on Kamelot though. I could only ever get through half of Ghost Opera before the tears of boredom began to fall, and Poetry is just awful.

I do like Imaginaerum a lot, and think Annette did great, but Floor is amazing and I hope she joins the band.

ErHaO

#18 Post by ErHaO » 29 Jan 2013 00:54

I agree Stu sometimes sounds like hes impersonating Barlow. But I do not really mind that, I think songs like Dystopia, Boiling Point and Dark City are about on par with their older tracks. And on some moments Stu really shines.

To be honest, and Barlow is one of my favourite vocalists of all time, Barlow his last few years with Iced were just not that great. Festivals of the Wicked is, unfortunately, kind proof of that. Instead of altering the songs a bit and sing in tones he can reach (like BG does, for example), he sounded like he was straining and failing a lot of the newer songs, and some older, constantly (out of tune, silent voice cracks, messed up volume etc.). He does sound fully awesome on a few tracks, and they should've altered the performances of other songs to the capabilities of the older Barlow more (which, in my opinion, was totally possible).

And regarding Nightwish. Yes, their latest two efforts were pretty solid to me. Beautiful melodies and good production on top of some decent songwriting. But I was never impressed by Anette that much, but she was no burden to the sound either. I do, however, believe that Floor can really enhance the music of Nightwish.

Palantyre

#19 Post by Palantyre » 29 Jan 2013 17:33

I really love Anette's vocals on the albums. She sounds so wonderfully warm and soft and innocent, and especially Meadows of Heaven gives me chills.
But live she's, well, uh. http://youtu.be/FcP6R5EeWEk

That said, if I ever get to witness Floor do that song live I'm pretty sure I'll just completely and utterly lose my shit forever.