Metal Evolution

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
brazilian_bard

Metal Evolution

#1 Post by brazilian_bard » 07 May 2012 17:28

I've been watching to this wonderful series, and it's amazing how they consolidate and link genres, styles, bands, people and places...

Now I'm wondering where can I get (if I can) that chart image... the class diagram they show everytime on the series.

I googled it, but was not able to find the chart, just little pieces of it. If anyone have it, please show me where I can find.

Thank you,

T3hOverlord

Re: Metal Evolution

#2 Post by T3hOverlord » 08 May 2012 23:12

dont even get me started on the power metal episode though . . .

brazilian_bard

#3 Post by brazilian_bard » 11 May 2012 18:30

Don't know if I understood what you mean, sorry, my english is not the best...

T3hOverlord

#4 Post by T3hOverlord » 11 May 2012 22:10

The power metal episode is terrible, the guy admits to not knowing anything about power metal, says its the same as trad metal, then spends the whole episode talking about Rainbow

t.a.j.

#5 Post by t.a.j. » 12 May 2012 09:35

There has not been a single TV feature about metal that went beyond the handful of superstars and what in the past was thought to be easily marketable by the mainstream media. Not a single one of those people has any idea about metal beyond the very thin surface layer of some 20-30 well-known bands. Fuck them.
And it's no different hear. Just look at the episode list, the spend 7 out of eleven episodes talking about stuff that is not metal, but was or is enjoying mainstream media acceptance.
Sam Dunn my ass.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Frozen within

#6 Post by Frozen within » 12 May 2012 09:52

I must say I have never felt the urge to watch a tv / internet show which focuses on metal music, or ANY type of music for that matter, therefore I can't give a meaningful opinion. However I can imagine that it could be frustrating to watch guys & girls talk about something they clearly don't know the first thing about. Still, all the power to them, I don't expect anyone to give me useful insights about anything at all, the least of all when it comes to music.

np : Tool - Parabola
Eat more vegetables !

t.a.j.

#7 Post by t.a.j. » 12 May 2012 10:10

It's a misrepresentation. It's an attempt by media and commercial interests to take a cultural complex and the terms associated with it and remake it and redefine them according to their ideas and interests. What metal is and how it works, it's symbols and mores belong to the people who have invested their time and energy and passion into it and taking those terms and applying them to the very things that they have differentiated themselves against (glam, grunge, hard rock, mallcore), the very things they did not want to be, is something of declaration of war. It shows great disrespect towards the scene and the people who work hard with no little financial profit to make it a scene, giving priority of opinion and definitional power to the handful of people who have the media power or names at least semi-respected among mainstream media people. It's like saying that all those shit-heads who have tried to sell Poison or Pearl Jam or Limp Bizkit as metal had been right all along and actual metal people had been wrong.
Grunge and mallcore are not chapters of metal history, they are part of the background against which metal history took place.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

JaceArveduin

#8 Post by JaceArveduin » 14 May 2012 09:57

Watche some of Mr. Dunn's documentaries, they were entertaining (not sure how accurate it was) but I'll agree with power metal one wasn't great. I still ended up writing a report over them though, it's not like my teacher'll ever know there might be some inaccurate information in there
Confidence is ignorance, if you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know. -Foaly
Make a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

brazilian_bard

#9 Post by brazilian_bard » 21 May 2012 15:55

Well... in my ignorance, I've found the episodes interesting, but, of course, I think there is no compromisse, and on the other hand it must not be so easy to talk about the evolution of a genre which is present in every country of this world... looks really complex.

He must had make it his way, including all his preferences... for example, Scott Ian appears talking in every episode, or almost all...
I just think that Blind Guardian should appear more...

Joost

#10 Post by Joost » 30 May 2012 15:38

Metal and tv: Headbangers' Ball was nice in the 90s.

Other than that, I have no opinion.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::