Power Metal Defining Songs?

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
T3hOverlord

Power Metal Defining Songs?

#1 Post by T3hOverlord » 03 Jan 2012 21:42

I just thought We should compose a list of Power Metal Standards, if you will. Power Metal songs that capture the essence of power metal within them, genre defining songs every power metal fan should know.

Off the top of my head I can think of Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian, Dethrone Tyranny by Gamma Ray, Mindtraveller by Falconer, Eagle Fly Free by Helloween, Highlander (The One) by Lost Horizon, Beyond The Space, Beyond The Time by Pathfinder, and The Night of The Age by Dark Moor

t.a.j.

Re: Power Metal Defining Songs?

#2 Post by t.a.j. » 03 Jan 2012 21:54

I've always felt that
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings was an epitome of the harsher side of the style, while Gamma Ray - Man on a Mission does a good job at representing the more upbeat side.
The original - US - power metal has view better song than Omen - Battle Cry and Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Orodaran

#3 Post by Orodaran » 04 Jan 2012 00:03

Eagle Fly Free "invented" power metal and has been rewritten 550K times, sung by Kiske wannabes'. If there's a song that defines power metal, it's the most copied of all :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Twister

#4 Post by Twister » 04 Jan 2012 02:14

I know I'll be sliced to death for this, but: in the symphonic power metal scenario there are very few songs I'd put on the same level of Emerald Sword.
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

T3hOverlord

#5 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Jan 2012 07:15

Twister wrote:I know I'll be sliced to death for this, but: in the symphonic power metal scenario there are very few songs I'd put on the same level of Emerald Sword.
I will definately agree with you on that, I would consider that a power metal standard in a second.
EDIT: ill also back you up Rhapsody is one of my favorite bands, you guys all suck, go listen to The Ancient Fires of Har-Kuun or Raging Starfire
Last edited by T3hOverlord on 05 Jan 2012 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

nckissfan

#6 Post by nckissfan » 05 Jan 2012 04:29

first thing that came to mind was Helloween. And Eagles Fly Free was the song. What a great song.

Palantyre

#7 Post by Palantyre » 05 Jan 2012 04:49

Twister wrote:I know I'll be sliced to death for this, but: in the symphonic power metal scenario there are very few songs I'd put on the same level of Emerald Sword.
As much as I revile, detest and loathe Rhapsody, I can't really dispute that Emerald Sword is quite quintessential in its subgenre. (that still doesn't mean I have to like it.)

Eagle Fly Free, on the other hand, is a timeless power metal classic I absolutely adore.

From Gamma Ray, I'd like to add Valley of the Kings to the list.

And for an as-of-yet unmentioned band, I will point out Stratovarius - Black Diamond. Another band I'm not too fond of, but Black Diamond is pretty much pure distilled euro-powermetal.

EDIT: Also, Edguy - Babylon.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Andreas

#8 Post by Andreas » 05 Jan 2012 12:49

From the top of my head I'd say:

Freedom Call - Warriors
Hammerfall - Heeding the Call
Sonata Arctica - FullMoon
Stratovarius - Hunting High and Low

JaceArveduin

#9 Post by JaceArveduin » 10 Jan 2012 08:52

Since we are on the Blind Guardian board, I kind of figured there would be at least one mention of them :p

But since I'm not a musician and am a complete idiot when it comes to genre defining (that's what I have my friends for) but I'll second Black Diamond, good song in my opinion.
Confidence is ignorance, if you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know. -Foaly
Make a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Andreas

#10 Post by Andreas » 10 Jan 2012 14:16

JaceArveduin wrote:Since we are on the Blind Guardian board, I kind of figured there would be at least one mention of them :p
T3hOverlord wrote:Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian
There you go ;)

JaceArveduin

#11 Post by JaceArveduin » 11 Jan 2012 00:17

Andreas wrote:
JaceArveduin wrote:Since we are on the Blind Guardian board, I kind of figured there would be at least one mention of them :p
T3hOverlord wrote:Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian
There you go ;)
I can read, I promise!

Hmm, maybe it's cause it was 3 AM and I was only up to keep a friend company. I asked a friend and then he asked for the link here, so I'm guessing he'll post a Gamma Ray song shortly
Confidence is ignorance, if you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know. -Foaly
Make a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Andreas

#12 Post by Andreas » 16 Jan 2012 15:42

Well, where is that Gamma Ray song?

brazilian_bard

#13 Post by brazilian_bard » 25 Jan 2012 19:14

I think it's really strange define BG as a power metal band. I know many people do, but looks like it don't fits well... power metal bands have that default voice tone, guitar riffs and drums things that which BG definitly don't have. But if you were talking bout the "At the Edge of Time" album, certain songs, you may have some reason :o

JaceArveduin

#14 Post by JaceArveduin » 26 Jan 2012 02:47

I'm guessing he forgot XD

Songs that I know he likes from Gamma Ray, which are also a few of the ones I can think of at the moment, are... Heaven or Hell and Real world.

I don't think those would be the two he'd pick though

Talked to him, he said his power metal defining song is "I want out" by Helloween.

T3hOverlord

#15 Post by T3hOverlord » 26 Jan 2012 07:02

I can see how someone could like those two songs, they both kick ass and for some reason they sound related, almost like Real World is Heaven or Hell part 2. the lyrics are similar also. I always loves the power of the opening lines to the chorus "God is an illusion and there aint no paradise"

JimLahey

#16 Post by JimLahey » 16 Feb 2012 04:28

"Kill The King" by Rainbow. As power metal as 70's hard rock got. Notably covered by Heathen and Liege Lord.

itorres

#17 Post by itorres » 27 Feb 2012 00:00

brazilian_bard wrote:I think it's really strange define BG as a power metal band. I know many people do, but looks like it don't fits well... power metal bands have that default voice tone, guitar riffs and drums things that which BG definitly don't have. But if you were talking bout the "At the Edge of Time" album, certain songs, you may have some reason :o
I can only assume that you live in a parallel universe with a different Blind Guardian.

Some of my favourite classics by BG:

- Traveler in Time
- Welcome to dying
- Journey through the dark
- Valhalla
- Majesty
- And the story ends
- The curse of Fëanor
- Mirror Mirror

Boy, do I feel old.

BTW, is Aces High by Iron Maiden accepted as Power Metal or it isn't kosher enough?