How metal are you?

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Heed The Blind

How metal are you?

#1 Post by Heed The Blind » 09 Nov 2011 07:22

Take it is a joke, but where does your metal devotion and commitment take you? Is it merchandise, tattoos, concerts, what is it?

I am sitting here in my Megadeth T-Shirt wearing my Dream Theater hoodie, listening to Blind Guardian, surrounding by old school Metallica posters waiting for my Judas Priest Concert this weekend. I think that is pretty metal. Haha!

Dentarthurdent

Re: How metal are you?

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 09 Nov 2011 10:57

That post is lacking beer!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

nckissfan

#3 Post by nckissfan » 10 Nov 2011 01:07

hmmm, well, it depends on my mood, and what I am doing. On Halloween, I took my 4 year old son trick or treating, I wore my long sleeve Blind Guardian shirt from the last tour, my Dream Theater hoodie, and my Nevermore beanie.

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#4 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 10 Nov 2011 01:44

today i'm not metal at all,but who knows what tomorrow will bring ..heh
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

T3hOverlord

#5 Post by T3hOverlord » 10 Nov 2011 09:19

I dont need to wear metal clothes (though I'm wearing a burzum shirt and listening to Vader right now) im just fucking metal as hell, even when im listening to my grandpas polka and wearing a cardigan

Andreas

#6 Post by Andreas » 10 Nov 2011 18:29

Today's a special day, so the only thing that might betray my metalness, is the length of my hair.

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 10 Nov 2011 20:49

Well, I consider myself a metalhead because I love heavy metal music, that's it - isn't that enough? :P

I don't have long hair; It's ages I don't buy more metal t-shirts than the ones I already have, and I wear them only at concerts or as "filler clothing" at home (never at work), and I don't have a jacket with leather spikes or the likes... as I said once and maybe someone still has it in his signature, "I don't need to be metal in my looks 'cause I am metal in my heart".

I will always define myself a metalhead, I have many "metal" friends and I'm sure I will love this genre of music until the day I die, and I want to go to concerts well beyond into my 40's, but I never felt the need to show the whole world how I belong to a certain group of people or that my group of people is better than anyone else; I listen as well to some other kind of music and this year I've been to two non-metal concerts, and I don't feel out of place with people who don't listen to heavy metal.

I don't even drink beer, which caused a people or two at work to tell me I'm not a real metalhead.... but I value the actual music over the apperance :wink: one went so far to say "you're not a metalhead, you just listen to metal music", which is to me the same as "you're not heterosexual, you just like pussy". :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Isis65

#8 Post by Isis65 » 10 Nov 2011 21:56

Orodaran wrote:and I want to go to concerts well beyond into my 40's,
Really? and when you think you become an adult? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

personally, I'm not sure I could consider myself a true metalhead ..... I dress usually leather, but is normal if your daily transport is an Harley Davidson motorcycle....
As for the music, I always listened to everything, with a marked preference for songwriters and prog rock, but I also love jazz, folk, ethnic music, pop .... in the end, if I count the concerts I've seen and the discs I bought, the metal up to 25% of total .....
But I have always beenconsidered a metalhead ..... even if I never liked beer, I've always been a wine lover ...
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

spamel

#9 Post by spamel » 10 Nov 2011 22:42

I once saw Steps and Geri Halliwell at the same concert in the desert in Oman, not my normal choice in music but it was all that was on offer at the time and it was something different from the everyday drudgery of life in the desert! I love most music apart from opera and rave/garage/house/shed or whatever they call it! My first love will always be something with a belting drum track and crunchy guitars, I just love the heavy stuff.
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Angus

#10 Post by Angus » 10 Nov 2011 23:26

I am not a metal head, I am a guy who listens to metal.

Joost

#11 Post by Joost » 10 Nov 2011 23:48

I don't really see myself as a metalhead (anymore), but still listen to metal -- as well as a whole lot of other types of music.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Frozen within

#12 Post by Frozen within » 11 Nov 2011 01:12

It's just the occasional cd I put on that reminds me of the fact that I used to be a real metal hardass once :roll:

3 years ago it was obvious on first sight what I was all about, nowadays sometimes people don't even believe me when I tell them about some of the music I listen to, pretty funny. Recently I even 'had' to convince this guy that I was not into hip hop specifically. Dude thought he had me all figured out :)
Eat more vegetables !

Heed The Blind

#13 Post by Heed The Blind » 11 Nov 2011 01:21

Dentarthurdent wrote:That post is lacking beer!
It is...but I am pretty broke, that is metal...right?

I listen to lots of kind of music...the most predominate being metal, most(if not all) the concerts I go to are metal. Well...ones I get excited about and not just to kill time and do something.

In all my years of going to concerts, metal fans are pretty nice...or it could be the booze as shows. Not sure, granted not much of a mosher myself(being tiny...I'd die..), we all wear the shirts, chant to the songs and toss up the horns \m/.

Ultimately listen to the music, enjoy it and become with the spirit the artist intended. I think those that would rather toss an elbow or push your face into the ground needs some help. We can't take over and let others see the awesomeness of this music if their are dicks out there ruining our cred!!
Frozen within wrote:3 years ago it was obvious on first sight what I was all about, nowadays sometimes people don't even believe me when I tell them about some of the music I listen to, pretty funny. Recently I even 'had' to convince this guy that I was not into hip hop specifically. Dude thought he had me all figured out :)
When I got my first tattoo, the guy doing it was actually quite surprised...said I looked like a "nice guy" (and I would say I am...but still) saying people would see me differently. If they do...well...too late now, it's on. XD Being as I got Norse runes...they expected a huge, massively bearded guy...I am not that...

Sarah

#14 Post by Sarah » 11 Nov 2011 15:48

I'm so metal, when i take a shit, it goes "CLANG"

8)

Nah, seriously, metal is truly an inside thing. Or at least, the inner side is the most important. I was briefly kind of a goth when younger, and stopped when i moved out of my parents place because my mom wasn't there to wash my clothes with her special "black laundry power" thing, and also because of a personnal likeness for colours.

The funny thing is, try going to a Deicide gig and keep in the front row with a purple Snoopy tanktop. It's funny the kind of weird looks you'll get from the trve ones.

*sigh*
Damn i loved these years... When i was young and resilient and ruled the moshpits...
*sigh*
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Desert_Storm

#15 Post by Desert_Storm » 12 Nov 2011 13:05

I think I look more metal than I actually am. Still got the long hair because I don't know what else to do with them, still the festival wristbands but for memories and not for the music, still wearing some metal shirts but mostly because I like the look of them. I still go to concerts regularly, but just for the hell of it ;)
Can't really remember when I put on a metal record the last time.

Sarah wrote:I'm so metal, when i take a shit, it goes "CLANG"
:mrgreen:
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

t.a.j.

#16 Post by t.a.j. » 12 Nov 2011 20:28

I'm fucking metal. I'm so metal, I'm the god damn Batman. In fact, there's probably at most two regulars on this board, who are as metal as I am. My metalness is a shining, glistening, mile high penis, covered in killer studs and and flames. And it wants to make sweet love to you. To you all. At once. \m/
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Traveller in Time

#17 Post by Traveller in Time » 13 Nov 2011 20:01

You are not the only on who asked this. But i prefer this kind of question:
Are you Metal?
:mrgreen:
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dragon Guardian

#18 Post by Dragon Guardian » 14 Nov 2011 17:24

[quote="Bender B. Rodriguez"]today i'm not metal at all,but who knows what tomorrow will bring ..heh[/quote

Doesn't going to this site already classify as being metal? :lol:

t.a.j.

#19 Post by t.a.j. » 14 Nov 2011 18:48

Dragon Guardian wrote:
No. The majority of BG fans are not very metal. Much like BG.

Desert_Storm

#20 Post by Desert_Storm » 14 Nov 2011 23:01

t.a.j. wrote:
Dragon Guardian wrote:
Care to explain? The audience on concerts looks quite metal to me. As for the band, I would say the music speaks for itself. Unless of course they are metaled-down by preferring coffee and cake to beer and... what would be the right thing here?

t.a.j.

#21 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Nov 2011 01:20

Desert_Storm wrote: Care to explain? The audience on concerts looks quite metal to me. As for the band, I would say the music speaks for itself. Unless of course they are metaled-down by preferring coffee and cake to beer and... what would be the right thing here?
Firstly, I'd suggest you to reconsider the notion that a BG shirt marks someone as metal. In particular on a BG concert. Secondly, if you listen to the BG albums, you will notice a decline of metalness and an increase in orchestration, folkiness, even proginess and a general focus on melody and particularly vocals right about 1998. This trend has only continued. In general, I'll hazard to say that the more your music is focussed on guitars, in particular riffs the more metal you are, while the more you focus on melody and vocals, the less metal you are. Keyboards are right out. BG, while not very metal, are very much more metal than e.g. Nightwish or Sonata Arctica, which are barely metal (Sonata) and not really metal at all (Nightwish). Thirdly, metalness is increased geometrically by the distance from mainstream success. Fourthly, people are more metal, the more they are knowledgeable about and enjoy a) obscure 80ties records, b) extreme vocals and c) Piledriver. Fifthly, anyone who doesn't like any music that is heavier than BG is not metal. Sixthly and finally, it's really just about the fact that BG are quite popular, even outside what you could call the metal scene, drawing a strong audience from many different areas, which I believe is due to a) the fantasy stuff and b) the highly melodic, singable and catchy music. And none of these things are all that metal.

As a further note, tea is the most metal beverage. I must know this, for Lo! I am the god damn Batman!

Desert_Storm

#22 Post by Desert_Storm » 15 Nov 2011 01:26

t.a.j. wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote: Care to explain? The audience on concerts looks quite metal to me. As for the band, I would say the music speaks for itself. Unless of course they are metaled-down by preferring coffee and cake to beer and... what would be the right thing here?
Firstly, I'd suggest you to reconsider the notion that a BG shirt marks someone as metal. In particular on a BG concert. Secondly, if you listen to the BG albums, you will notice a decline of metalness and an increase in orchestration, folkiness, even proginess and a general focus on melody and particularly vocals right about 1998. This trend has only continued. In general, I'll hazard to say that the more your music is focussed on guitars, in particular riffs the more metal you are, while the more you focus on melody and vocals, the less metal you are. Keyboards are right out. BG, while not very metal, are very much more metal than e.g. Nightwish or Sonata Arctica, which are barely metal (Sonata) and not really metal at all (Nightwish). Thirdly, metalness is increased geometrically by the distance from mainstream success. Fourthly, people are more metal, the more they are knowledgeable about and enjoy a) obscure 80ties records, b) extreme vocals and c) Piledriver. Fifthly, anyone who doesn't like any music that is heavier than BG is not metal. Sixthly and finally, it's really just about the fact that BG are quite popular, even outside what you could call the metal scene, drawing a strong audience from many different areas, which I believe is due to a) the fantasy stuff and b) the highly melodic, singable and catchy music. And none of these things are all that metal.
[/quote]
I enjoyed reading that so much that I'm not even going to voice my (few) pleas :D
As a further note, tea is the most metal beverage. I must know this, for Lo! I am the god damn Batman!
You like saying that a lot lately, don't you?

t.a.j.

#23 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Nov 2011 10:35

Desert_Storm wrote: I enjoyed reading that so much that I'm not even going to voice my (few) pleas :D
Behold the win of oddly amusing eloquence! :)

Yes. What's not to like? :mrgreen:

Desert_Storm

#24 Post by Desert_Storm » 15 Nov 2011 20:17

t.a.j. wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote: I enjoyed reading that so much that I'm not even going to voice my (few) pleas :D
Behold the win of oddly amusing eloquence! :)
Indeed one wonders why this concept isn't better embedded in other fields of debate, say politics ;)
Yes. What's not to like? :mrgreen:
Just an observation. It seems like you have to compensate the fact that it isn't the head of your signature anymore :P

Little Dragon

#25 Post by Little Dragon » 16 Nov 2011 23:26

Desert_Storm wrote:
t.a.j. wrote:
Dragon Guardian wrote:
Care to explain? The audience on concerts looks quite metal to me. As for the band, I would say the music speaks for itself. Unless of course they are metaled-down by preferring coffee and cake to beer and... what would be the right thing here?
BBQ.

Coffee and Cake and Beer and BBQ.

Easy as pie.

And oolong is the adamantium.
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Gandalf de Grijze

#26 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Nov 2011 04:08

intead
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

ThePKH

#27 Post by ThePKH » 19 Nov 2011 14:18

I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Regrin

#28 Post by Regrin » 07 Dec 2011 08:48

Orodaran wrote: I don't even drink beer
really?? how do you have fun then?! :mrgreen: just kidding! at least for me, beer is such as important as metal 8) and need it before, during and after the show, for cleaning up my throat, and sing along! :)
Illuminati
You'll never take control
Your new world order
Will lead to none at all
We all stand before you as one
Heaven is for everyone
To be free from the dark