Hammerfall

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Baby_Kürsch

Hammerfall

#1 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 16 Sep 2011 10:29

So last night I typed Iced Earth into Pandora. I dont really ever use Pandora because I rarely just sit and listen to music for hours on en anymore. But last night at work I volunteered to do the most boring bitch work (which makes for an easy Thursday, which is my Friday). This kick ass music kept popping up Ive never heard and it was Hammerfall. Dont remember any songs or albums I just remember liking it enough to get up and go across the room to see who it was. What Hammerfall album should I start with?
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

wade-newb

Re: Hammerfall

#2 Post by wade-newb » 16 Sep 2011 14:20

Baby_Kürsch wrote:So last night I typed Iced Earth into Pandora. I dont really ever use Pandora because I rarely just sit and listen to music for hours on en anymore. But last night at work I volunteered to do the most boring bitch work (which makes for an easy Thursday, which is my Friday). This kick ass music kept popping up Ive never heard and it was Hammerfall. Dont remember any songs or albums I just remember liking it enough to get up and go across the room to see who it was. What Hammerfall album should I start with?
I own Legacy Of Kings, and it's not bad. Very rythm-guitar oriented.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Dentarthurdent

#3 Post by Dentarthurdent » 16 Sep 2011 14:30

Hearts on Fire, hearts on Fire, Burning burning with desire...
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Narmoth:

#4 Post by Narmoth: » 16 Sep 2011 15:44

You should take it chronologically, I think, as the 2 first albums, Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings are considered the best, then the band has been judged to decline. Personally I liked the first 5 albums, which if I remember correct are:

Glory to the Brave
Legacy of Kings
Renegade
Crimson Thunder
Chapter 5
check out my band:
heavy metal / melodic death from Northern Norway
http://www.facebook.com/dreamslain

Andreas

#5 Post by Andreas » 16 Sep 2011 16:03

My personal favourite is Crimson Thunder, then No Sacrifice No Victory. But I like all albums, so it depends on your tastes. I started with Renegade by the way :)

Skrymir

#6 Post by Skrymir » 16 Sep 2011 21:35

In my opinion, the first 4 albums, beeing "Glory to the Brave", "Legacy of Kings", "Renegade", "Crimson Thunder", are the best ones. I can't even decide which of them I like the best (maybe Crimson Thunder), because HammerFall are so consistant, that those 4 albums actually sounded quite the same. They changed a little bit later, but also not that much.
I remember that I was quite dissapointed after buying their fifth one "Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken", for it just didn't have the quality of the previous ones. It had some decent songs, like "Blood Bound" or "Never Ever", but also a lot of fillers. Some of the best melodies they came up with landed in the 12-minute-song "Knights Of The 21st Century", which is unbelievable good in some parts, but just annoying (really, not just bad, but even annoying) in other parts of the song.
Just one year later (!), they released "Threshold", one of my personal favorites. It introduced a slower and darker style, which they kept on "No Sacrifice, No Victory" and also on their newest release "Infected". Their new sound has definately some Doom Metal influences in them, while their good old style was more like a bastard child of Manowar and Helloween.
HammerFall aren't as complex as Blind Guardian, but they are fun, their concerts are good Power-Metal-Partys. I can't even count, how often I have seen them live, although I'm definitely not old. If you live in the north-west of Germany e.g., you can see them about twice a year. They also make meet&greet-events with their concerts once in a while, I have been to two of those to get some autographs. So my first suggestion: There usually are a lot of opportunitys to catch them in your region, so go and see them live.

Otherwise, I think these would be the songs I recommend:

Good old ones: Hearts On Fire, Crimson Thunder, The Dragon Lies Bleeding, The Fallen One, Templars Of Steel, Renegade, The Way Of The Warrior, Warriors Of Faith, Heeding The Call, Trailblazers, Glory To The Brave, On The Edge Of Honour

Newer stuff: Threshold, Any Means Necessary, One More Time, Redemption, Titan, Rebel Inside, Between Two Worlds

I just realised, that I spend a lot of time on this post and I decided that I want money for that. So I will sent you a bill.
Bill Anton Walter, my lawyer that is.

Andreas

#7 Post by Andreas » 16 Sep 2011 21:59

No rules in Dutch law make the obligation to pay someone for a long forum post. Tough.
:P

Anyway, my favourite HF song is Secrets. Got me into metal.

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#8 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 17 Sep 2011 04:49

Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings is all you need,trust me.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Sep 2011 10:10

The best one is Crimson Thunder, but Glory To The Brave deserves a lot of credit. It's one of those classic albums that single-handedly shaped metal as we know it. It's right up there with Reign In Blood, Number Of The Beast and the first Black Sabbath when it comes to its influence on the genre as a whole.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Andreas

#10 Post by Andreas » 17 Sep 2011 16:59

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings is all you need,trust me.
You're stoned again, aren't you?

Palantyre

#11 Post by Palantyre » 17 Sep 2011 17:08

Bender's on the right track... personally I lean more towards the viewpoint of "GttB and LoK are the only ones even barely worth checking out" though.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#12 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Sep 2011 03:33

Andreas wrote:
Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings is all you need,trust me.
You're stoned again, aren't you?
stoned with Metal wisdom,yes

and pot too :mrgreen:
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

t.a.j.

#13 Post by t.a.j. » 18 Sep 2011 09:09

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:The best one is Crimson Thunder, but Glory To The Brave deserves a lot of credit. It's one of those classic albums that single-handedly shaped metal as we know it. It's right up there with Reign In Blood, Number Of The Beast and the first Black Sabbath when it comes to its influence on the genre as a whole.
I usually really respect your opinion on these things, but no. Just no. Glory To The Brave had tremendous impact on the business side of metal, making labels and distributors want to carry more traditional sounding metal, most importantly with melodic singing again. A style which by 1997 had receded from the mainstream so far, that only some few, well established bands (Gamma Ray, Guardian, Grave Digger & Rage in Germany, Iced Earth in the US) were still releasing albums carried by mainstream vendors, while new bands were few and far between. (Wardog come to mind).
But artistically? It was neither good, nor influential except in the broad sense that it contributed to a popularization of that 80ties melodic style, which in turn resulted in the wash of new bands of the last ten years. But as should already be obvious from observing those bands: They try to sound like the originals, the very bands (Maiden, Accept, Helloween, Hellstar, Stormwitch, Manowar,...) that Hammerfall tried (try) to sound like.
So while it was important for metal as business and thus for the metal fans as consumers, it was nowhere near the artistic and cultural force the others albums you mentioned were and still are.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Sep 2011 14:24

Yeah, but I still think its one of the most quintessential albums ever released. Without it, chances are we wouldn't all have been posting here. It's obviously true thar GttB didnt exactly invent the genre, but it did rejuvinate it and justified the excistence of the bands you mentioned. None of those bands you mentioned were actually popular (outside of Germany, at least) during the nineties, so all of them are indebted to Hammerfall to some degree.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

t.a.j.

#15 Post by t.a.j. » 18 Sep 2011 16:14

All or most of them were popular in Japan and South America, too. Not to mention Scandinavia, Italy and Spain... Popular enough at least to keep them on their labels and, in the case of BG, to make a major label sign them.
What Hammerfall mostly "blessed" us with was a flood of derivative third stringers....
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#16 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Sep 2011 16:29

Yeah, vut they were nowhere near as popolar as they are now, and were regarded a laughing matter in most countries. You are right about Scandinavia and Japan, but I reckon that doesnt say much. Those ciuntries are immensely underpopulated.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#17 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Sep 2011 16:29

Yeah, vut they were nowhere near as popolar as they are now, and were regarded a laughing matter in most countries. You are right about Scandinavia and Japan, but I reckon that doesnt say much. Those countries are immensely underpopulated.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#18 Post by Palantyre » 18 Sep 2011 18:50

Japan underpopulated? Uhhh, yeah. Sure.

Anyways, while I mostly agree with Tex's point of view here, Ferdi does have a point in that Hammerfall, with its popularity, did bring a whole lot of new "converts" to the metal scene, and I think it's reasonable to think that this infusion of fresh blood probably did rejuvenate the metal subculture as a whole somewhat. I mean, I'm pretty sure that for a lot of people Hammerfall was just a sort of stepping stone into metal music, eventually leading them to more interesting musical horizons.

Hammerfall still suck though.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#19 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Sep 2011 07:54

That was sarcasm, mate. ;-)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#20 Post by Cerbere » 25 Sep 2011 02:34

In my opinion, everything but Glory to the Brave is really boring, but I haven't listened to Legacy of Kings, so I'm sure that one's good too.

Kroll

#21 Post by Kroll » 05 Jan 2012 05:39

I owne just Crimson thunder and Renegate, but Chapter V is god to.