Anyone know of a band that plays stuff like The Bards Song?

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Gasha

Anyone know of a band that plays stuff like The Bards Song?

#1 Post by Gasha » 04 Sep 2011 12:32

Basically the title. I'm looking for some band or artist who plays acoustic folk with fantasy influences. It seems that all the bands I find when I google "fantasy lyrics" or something similar are some kind of metal. Not that there's anything wrong with that (I wouldn't be hanging around here if I didn't love grandiose metal epics with crushing guitars :P), but right now I'm looking for something different.

So, more music like The Bards Song. Preferably I'd like an artist who specializes in this kind of music, but other metal bands with folk-style ballads work too :)

Orodaran

Re: Anyone know of a band that plays stuff like The Bards So

#2 Post by Orodaran » 04 Sep 2011 13:04

Mh, not so sure there is such a band.... there are many folk metal bands without harsh or gruntled vocals, and some of them do acoustic pieces here and there, but not sure if there's a band that does *solely* that.

On the other hand there are heavy folk metal bands that occasionally churn out an acoustic album; Fintroll, Eluveitie and Manegarm all did that, acoustic albums in their native language, the lyrics probably are fantasy but who can understand them? :D
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Dentarthurdent

#3 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 Sep 2011 18:40

you could also check out some of the German medieval rock bands (although they're singing in German) like Schandmaul. They also have a song that's not so far from the bard's song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cpvLep3-UQ

Besides, I can second on Manegarm. Oh, and Elvenking could be worth checking out (takes me wonder Oro didn't mention them). heavily folk influenced Power Metal, also with a couple of acoustic ballads and a whole acoustic album.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Baby_Kürsch

#4 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 04 Sep 2011 21:48

You would be looking for the first couple of Elvenking albums. Not the last couple, they are more like bad hair metal and less like good power metal.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Lilyael

#5 Post by Lilyael » 14 Sep 2011 20:49

Big Country's album 'The Seer' might appeal to you.....stuff about standing stones and Red Foxes and whatnot. Folk-pop I guess.
Falkenbach does a couple of acousticy-Medievally type songs - my favourite's 'where his ravens fly'.
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Gasha

#6 Post by Gasha » 26 Sep 2011 01:16

Orodaran wrote:Mh, not so sure there is such a band.... there are many folk metal bands without harsh or gruntled vocals, and some of them do acoustic pieces here and there, but not sure if there's a band that does *solely* that.

On the other hand there are heavy folk metal bands that occasionally churn out an acoustic album; Fintroll, Eluveitie and Manegarm all did that, acoustic albums in their native language, the lyrics probably are fantasy but who can understand them? :D
Actually, I'm Swedish, so I understand both Månegarms and Finntrolls lyrics ^^

Their acoustic albums wasn't really what I was looking for, though. While well done, it's pretty much nordic folk music, whereas I'm looking more at the kind of english folk feel.

The Schandmaul song posted was pretty much exactly what I was looking for, however! Unfortunatly, I don't know, german... So, does anyone know of any artist who does that kind of music, but in english? :)

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 26 Sep 2011 21:17

So, just for the record, what the hell Manegarm talk about in the acoustic album? :P
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Gasha

#8 Post by Gasha » 26 Sep 2011 23:26

Brace yourselves. Here follows a mammoth post :P

"Himmelsfursten" ("The Sky Lord") seems to be about Thor, the god of thunder and lightning in nordic mythology. The lyrics in english would be something like
"A soaring white light across the skies
Time of storms, time of autumn
A loud sky-game is played above
Time of mischeivousness, time of darkness

The wheels of the wagon crush forth
Through a sparkling sea
From above he looks down
The lord of thunder... Asa-Tor

I journey of wrath across the sea of the skies with the goats before
Time of the hammer, time of the heathens
Roaring in wrath he swings the bane of giants
Time of the heathens, time of the hammer

The wheels of the wagon crush forth
Through a sparkling sea
From above he looks down
The red-bearded, the friend of humans
Trolls and giants shiver in spine, bone and stone
Hide from the sky lord
The lord of thunder... Asa-Tor"

"Utfärd" ("Departure") seems to be about a departure feast for vikings about to embark on a journey

"One last horn I offer you, who shall go onwards
To the unrest that awaits you in unknown lands

One last barrel I offer you who shall go onwards
To the honor that awaits you in unknown ports

You fear not the spear or the embrace of the valkyrie
We who are born under the light of the northern star

You fear not tongues or the enemies' teeth
When we cut them down in the dance of the bears

First we drink to One-Eye
To victory we drink two
Nine are the worlds that fill us
In viking we walk

Home and hearth we leave behind
Farewell to the small ones
Let go of the most tender hand
In viking we walk

First we drink to One-Eye
To victory we drink two
Nine are the worlds that fill us
In viking we walk"

"Älvatrans" ("Elven Trance") seems to be about a popular folktale, which says that the mist that can be seen over meadows some nights actually is elves (who are more akin to "spirits of the wood" then the Tolkien-elves) dancing.

"Look in the nighttime, a cover, so pale
Swelling notes at the brink of the water

Waves of soulds, like sleeping in trance
Engulfed by senses, driven into elven dance

Pulled down in ancient trance
To the elves' satisfied shouts

'Tonight you will dance until your feet bleeds
If you break the circle this night you will die'"

"Hemkomst" (Homecoming) seems to be a sort of follow-up to "Utfärd". It tells of a man returning from a journey, dying at last surrounded by his children.

"Torn sails play in the wind
Eyes, tired to look upon, mirror sorrow in the light of the flames

Fallen in foreign lands
A father, a son, a woman's man

On a bed of leaves homewards
To home and hearth he is carried
To the crying of the children he leaves
He leaves his form
(The swedish word here, "hamn", can be interprinted in a couple of different ways... The everyday use of "hamn" basically means "port" or "docking place", but in some contexts it can also refer to your physical form. In fantasy books with shapechangers, the common expression is that they change their "hamn". The context seemed to imply that alternative, so that's the one I went with, but I might be misunderstanding it)"

"Döden" ("Death") seems to be about, well, death :P. Which is sorta strange in the context, because nordic mythology generally doesn't use anthropomorphic depictions of death.

"Above the rims of moonlit pines
From starry depths
Tonight death rides, on his iron-shoed beast

Like a black cloud in flight
His winged court follows
They who herald of an end
Silently sweeps forth

Blowing forth through the cold night
Maelstroms around the steel of the hooves
They guide the souls of the doomed, who's time has run out

Warlords into infinity
Bringers of eternal peace, the releasers of pain
Watchers over time

A frozen-cold wind from the depths of the skies
Three are the blows on my door
Cold is his pale grin
One last piece of sand falls to the bottom of the hourglass
Tonight I ride with death
Take my place in his court" (after that it's just repeated)

"Vaggvisa" ("Lullaby") pretty much speaks for itself

"An icing wind
blows through the homes of the woods and the valleys
Freezing bone and spine
Crushing dreams, stealing them

Sleep now, little one ("lilla vännen min" is roughly the equivilent of "little one" but word-by-word it means "my little friend")
Dream the dreams of a small mind
Near the fire there is stillness
Here, your people watch over you

But in the ground of ancient ways life's seed grows again...

Hear now, the howling wolf, calling for his kin
No answer is given in the wind
His kind has now been driven away

The thread of life is now spun
May your weave be tough and strong
For difficult times await
The roots of life fight in frozen earth

But in the ground of ancient ways life's seed grows again"

Feel free to pass the translations on, as long as you give credit to the original translator ^^

Joost

#9 Post by Joost » 27 Sep 2011 08:46

Orodaran wrote:On the other hand there are heavy folk metal bands that occasionally churn out an acoustic album; Fintroll, Eluveitie and Manegarm all did that, acoustic albums in their native language, the lyrics probably are fantasy but who can understand them? :D
You think Old Gaulish (a Celtic language extinct since the 6th century) is the native language of the guys from Eluveitie? :P
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Orodaran

#10 Post by Orodaran » 27 Sep 2011 19:22

Well, Switzerland has 3-4 languages, who knows what is native and what not :mrgreen: :oops:

And Gasha, thank you very very much for your translations!!! now I feel like listening to that album right now :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dentarthurdent

#11 Post by Dentarthurdent » 27 Sep 2011 21:34

yep, but none of these 4 is Gaulish, since what they use is nly a recreated language, and thus, in a way, more modern than any of the others. Especially rätoromanisch (written in german, since I don't have the slightest clue what's it called in English. Swizzies?)
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Desert_Storm

#12 Post by Desert_Storm » 28 Sep 2011 23:03

Oro wrote:Well, Switzerland has 3-4 languages, who knows what is native and what not
I literally lol'ed at that :mrgreen:

@ Dent....
It's "Romansh" in English, and that's pretty much how the native speakers pronounce it, only in English spelling ;) Though dict.cc tells me that "Rhaeto-Romance" is also valid and that sounds much cooler 8)

To topic: I don't really know much bands that have a similar feel like the Bard's Song - Even with Schandmaul the similar songs are more the exception than the rule, at least up to the point where I followed their releases.

It's worth mentioning, though, that acoustic folksy fantasy&metal related stuff like the Bard's Song opened my mind for other acoustic folksy stuff that is not fantasy&metal related but that I enjoy very much nowadays :)

So, in the context of a broad musical taste, check this out, even if it's not what you asked for ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7_boE0JgJo

Cheers!
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Gasha

#13 Post by Gasha » 29 Sep 2011 01:27

Desert_Storm wrote:
Oro wrote:Well, Switzerland has 3-4 languages, who knows what is native and what not
I literally lol'ed at that :mrgreen:

@ Dent....
It's "Romansh" in English, and that's pretty much how the native speakers pronounce it, only in English spelling ;) Though dict.cc tells me that "Rhaeto-Romance" is also valid and that sounds much cooler 8)

To topic: I don't really know much bands that have a similar feel like the Bard's Song - Even with Schandmaul the similar songs are more the exception than the rule, at least up to the point where I followed their releases.

It's worth mentioning, though, that acoustic folksy fantasy&metal related stuff like the Bard's Song opened my mind for other acoustic folksy stuff that is not fantasy&metal related but that I enjoy very much nowadays :)

So, in the context of a broad musical taste, check this out, even if it's not what you asked for ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7_boE0JgJo

Cheers!
Good performance, though not exactly my type of music. Love the arrangement, though - beautiful vocal harmonies and great instrumentation.