Matt Barlow retires from IE

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Dentarthurdent

Matt Barlow retires from IE

#1 Post by Dentarthurdent » 02 Mar 2011 23:15

R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

corrupted old gnom

Re: Matt Barlow retires from IE

#2 Post by corrupted old gnom » 02 Mar 2011 23:22

just came here to see if Andrea already posted this 8)
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Orodaran

#3 Post by Orodaran » 03 Mar 2011 00:02

Wanted to :P

Meh, I'm not even sad (I was devasted back in 2003 when Matt first left), this is the final nail in the coffin of the credibility of the band. Best wishes to Jon to find another awesome unknown talent and heartfelt wishes to Matt for his life, but shit.... this is just a sucky way to destroy a band that back in 1998 seemed ready to become the next Iron Maiden.

Now I imagine Jon making his phone calls... "Hey Tim, remember when you sang on 2 of my albums and I was saying you were the best singer ever and the voice I had in mind when composing songs? remember when I wrote you an email under Xmas time telling you that you were fired (and you almost didn't see it) because I was bringing back the guy you replaced, at cost of touring a lit less because of his commitments? well, now he's gone because we have to tour more, mind to re-do the vocals on The Crucible of Man so I can have a boxset out with the same singer singing on two albums I was bragging about since I made a trilogy on my most successful album?"
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

t.a.j.

#4 Post by t.a.j. » 03 Mar 2011 00:41

Iced Earth became bascially irrelevant with The Dark Saga, so meh, whatever.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Palantyre

#5 Post by Palantyre » 03 Mar 2011 00:44

Well, fuck.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

John T. Berzanske IV

#6 Post by John T. Berzanske IV » 03 Mar 2011 04:18

The band's instability saps my faith in the new record.
ra me nivar wrote:You can be satisfied after making a nice omelette, but I would need more to be fulfilled, like having a son, writting a book or fucking Nicole Kidman.
http://www.LychBand.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#7 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Mar 2011 07:53

He's gone? Great, now they can bring back the Ripper.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Andreas

#8 Post by Andreas » 04 Mar 2011 00:18

Would be a good idea IMO. At the other hand, Ripper has every right to tell Jon where to stick it if Jon asks him again.

nckissfan

#9 Post by nckissfan » 04 Mar 2011 01:40

there is no way, I would not think, that Tim would come back. Not after the way Jon gave him the exit sign.

The Rider Of Rohan

#10 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 04 Mar 2011 07:59

I wouldn't rule it out. At the end of the day it's also about the money. The one who ends up as IE's singer knows that he can work full-time in the band. That's an attractive offer for a lot of people, and Ripper really doesn't have any commercially viable projects at the mo.

So yeah, Jon treated him pretty badly, but that was four years ago. So who knows, they might still work it out.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Baby_Kürsch

#11 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 04 Mar 2011 12:08

:lol:
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Dentarthurdent

#12 Post by Dentarthurdent » 04 Mar 2011 13:55

R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

John T. Berzanske IV

#13 Post by John T. Berzanske IV » 04 Mar 2011 14:21

Dentarthurdent wrote:Image

Excellent! :D
ra me nivar wrote:You can be satisfied after making a nice omelette, but I would need more to be fulfilled, like having a son, writting a book or fucking Nicole Kidman.

Orodaran

#14 Post by Orodaran » 04 Mar 2011 20:41

While it's true that 1) Schaffer fired Ripper very badly and it's very unlikely that one would ask him back and the other would even consider it and 2) Nothing is permanent in metal, I'd say that this portion of the press release makes it pretty clear that they're searching a NEW singer:
With a new album in the works, and a world tour pending, Schaffer has already begun the search for a new vocalist.

"I have a few guys in mind," said Schaffer. "And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. One thing is for certain: we are not looking for a Matt Barlow 'clone' — we are looking for a front man that brings power and character of his own to the table. There's only one Matt, and that era of the band's history will always hold a special place in my heart."
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

nckissfan

#15 Post by nckissfan » 05 Mar 2011 00:12

hopefully, they find a singer that has a strong, powerful voice with the capabilities of some high stuff(like Tim did).

Unfortunately, for the next singer, he will probably NOT be accepted by most fans, just because IE is "Matt" blah, blah, blah. I got so tired of reading that when he left the band the first time. He is a good singer, but damn, he isn't that good.

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#16 Post by Metal Fan » 05 Mar 2011 06:17

Like this Nightwish shit. Yuck!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

The Rider Of Rohan

#17 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Mar 2011 10:01

I would like to see Jon consider Joe Comeau (Liege Lord, Annihilator). He would be a perfect replacement:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/D ... 6460?src=5
nckissfan wrote:Unfortunately, for the next singer, he will probably NOT be accepted by most fans, just because IE is "Matt" blah, blah, blah. I got so tired of reading that when he left the band the first time. He is a good singer, but damn, he isn't that good.
Actually I think this will be okay. TGB exited a lot of people and there were tons of fans at WOA when they performed with the ripper.

There might be some who lose interest in the band, but if the replacement is good a lot of people will stick by them.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#18 Post by Orodaran » 05 Mar 2011 13:15

I don't think it will be bad as the first time... also now it's pretty clear that Matt won't sing in IE never ever again forever, so there's no point in crying over spilt milk and make comparisons with someone who won't be around anymore.

But then again, in 2003 Matt was retired from music altogether and people still complained, so.... :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#19 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Mar 2011 16:25

Well it could happen, didn't RJD play with Sabbath three times?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#20 Post by Orodaran » 05 Mar 2011 16:27

Well, Dio was just out of Sabbath, not out of music alltogether..... which is anyway the situation with Matt before he rejoined the first time so that doesn't say much :P but I assume this time it's definitive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#21 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Mar 2011 21:15

Technically neither was Matt.... He was in the First State Force Band when he was away from Iced Earth.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

nckissfan

#22 Post by nckissfan » 06 Mar 2011 00:15

I can see Matt doing work with bands that don't require extensive touring, which would be cool. It was cool to hear him on the Pyramaze cd.

Orodaran

#23 Post by Orodaran » 06 Mar 2011 00:19

Anyway, what baffles me are the motivations for his quitting. It was said right when he came back that they would have not toured much and Jon preferred to have it this way rather than not having Matt in the band. And it was late 2007, basically 2008 - 3 years ago... was the situation THAT different from now? was being a metal band successful in 2008 but not in 2011 to the point that only touring brings the money needed? touring has always been the major source of income....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

nckissfan

#24 Post by nckissfan » 06 Mar 2011 00:58

makes you wonder. Record sales, also, help a band make money. What i mean is, if the band doesn't sell records, they may have lower attendance at concerts. I don't think The Crucible of Man did as well as Framing Armageddon. Maybe Jon was having doubts about the future, financially, with Matt?

Skrymir

#25 Post by Skrymir » 06 Mar 2011 01:53

This just really sucks. I haven't seen them live yet and I am really a huge fan of Matt's voice. :(

But here is an idea for Matt: He could do a project with Andre Olbrich, you know, beeing the other Demons&Wizards. He wouldn't have to do a lot of touring. xD

I think Schaffer will somehow come up with a good singer, thinking of the ones he worked with in the last years (Matt, Ripper and Hansi).

Andreas

#26 Post by Andreas » 06 Mar 2011 03:09

It's kind of a waste to combine André's beautiful guitar solos with a boring, whiny voice like Matt's

The Rider Of Rohan

#27 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Mar 2011 12:29

Orodaran wrote:Anyway, what baffles me are the motivations for his quitting. It was said right when he came back that they would have not toured much and Jon preferred to have it this way rather than not having Matt in the band. And it was late 2007, basically 2008 - 3 years ago... was the situation THAT different from now? was being a metal band successful in 2008 but not in 2011 to the point that only touring brings the money needed? touring has always been the major source of income....
Well, I think there's a very plausible explanation, but without looking into Jon's bankaccount it's difficult to say what it is. From what we've read it's obvious that Jon pushed for IE to tour more to generate more income, but they didn't specify the actual trigger-event. Most likely possibilities:

- Jon saved money in the past and ran out.
- Century Media gave Jon a lower advance than SPV did
- The recouped albums don't generate as much income as they used too.

But it could be anything else too, such as the guys having a higher mortage or Jon's and Matt's kids going to school.

You can basically rule out the possibility of poor sales of the Farming Armageddon-albums being the cause, as it was unrealistic assume they would generate money on the short term to begin with.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

nckissfan

#28 Post by nckissfan » 06 Mar 2011 15:19

Framing Armageddon charted the highest in band's history, if I remember correctly.

The Rider Of Rohan

#29 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Mar 2011 16:17

Yeah, but you can chart nowadays when a small percentage of your fans buys the album on the same day. To make any money you need a steady number of sales during a longer period of time, which is a really slow process because bands don't make a lot of money from a cd (if any at all).
spamel wrote:
Periods.

corrupted old gnom

#30 Post by corrupted old gnom » 06 Mar 2011 22:22

Orodaran wrote:Anyway, what baffles me are the motivations for his quitting. It was said right when he came back that they would have not toured much and Jon preferred to have it this way rather than not having Matt in the band. And it was late 2007, basically 2008 - 3 years ago... was the situation THAT different from now? was being a metal band successful in 2008 but not in 2011 to the point that only touring brings the money needed? touring has always been the major source of income....
from what I've learned on the cruise, touring seemed to become even more important
to generate income and to keep a band rolling you just have to play loads of shows
though I'd say it's even more important for smaller bands...
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Traveller in Time

#31 Post by Traveller in Time » 08 Mar 2011 20:25

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
- Jon saved money in the past and ran out.
- Century Media gave Jon a lower advance than SPV did
- The recouped albums don't generate as much income as they used too.
I would add:

- life got more expensive, so even if you earn the same you can get financial problems. :wink:

Sad, that he left again. On the other side maybe Jon has more time to write D&W songs :wink:
Always think positive!
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Orodaran

#32 Post by Orodaran » 08 Mar 2011 20:37

Well, actually it's Matt that has more time to do whatever he wants in his no-cop time; Jon was and still is the guitarist of Iced Earth and he doesn't even have anymore a singer that couldn't do much touring, so, if at all, he has even LESS time for D&W :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#33 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 08 Mar 2011 22:31

Lesson learned: don't screw your bandleader's sister. You'll end up leaving the band no matter what. :P
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Dentarthurdent

#34 Post by Dentarthurdent » 16 Mar 2011 15:18

according to blabbermouth, IE announced Into Etrnity's Stu Block as new singer.

The Rider Of Rohan

#35 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Mar 2011 19:26

It's on their facebook too:
Iced Earth has a new vocalist! We also just announced the European leg of our upcoming world tour, the biggest one in the band's history. See our Discussions page for details! And say hello to Iced Earth's new front man - Stu Block!
They'll still be doing the Summer festivals with Barlow, right? As much as I prefer the Ripper over Barlow, it would still be nice for him to do the farewell-thing. He never did that when he left the first time, and I think he does deserve a nice farewell to and from the fans.

Dunno what to think about this new dude. Iced Earth with screamo vocals? That's likely to suck ass.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

prongs

#36 Post by prongs » 16 Mar 2011 20:12

Matt is definitely way better in every way... :|
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Dentarthurdent

#37 Post by Dentarthurdent » 16 Mar 2011 20:57

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:It's on their facebook too:
Iced Earth has a new vocalist! We also just announced the European leg of our upcoming world tour, the biggest one in the band's history. See our Discussions page for details! And say hello to Iced Earth's new front man - Stu Block!
They'll still be doing the Summer festivals with Barlow, right? As much as I prefer the Ripper over Barlow, it would still be nice for him to do the farewell-thing. He never did that when he left the first time, and I think he does deserve a nice farewell to and from the fans.

Dunno what to think about this new dude. Iced Earth with screamo vocals? That's likely to suck ass.
Yep, he's gonna do the festivals (Barlow, that is^^)

Orodaran

#38 Post by Orodaran » 16 Mar 2011 21:01

Never heard the new guy, guess I'll have to check out some Into Eternity songs...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

nckissfan

#39 Post by nckissfan » 16 Mar 2011 22:28

I like Stu. He is a cool guy, too. I wish Into Eternity would get their shit together, no news at all about what is going on with them. I guess Stu couldn't wait any longer.

Give a couple of songs a listen, and don't judge just by that, since Into Eternity is styled that way, different than Iced Earth. I know Stu can sing the IE songs with passion. And, this allows for IE to play the Tim era songs without worrying about vocal butchering.

The Rider Of Rohan

#40 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Mar 2011 23:24

Here's some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GSFcYqBoc

I honestly don't know what Jon's thinking hiring this guy. Perhaps he wants to appeal to the younger American crowd who's into things like Killswitch Engage and Arch Enemy, but I hardly see how that would be in keeping with the tradition of good old power metal that IE's known for.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

nckissfan

#41 Post by nckissfan » 16 Mar 2011 23:36

you have to remember Into Eternity is a different style. You can't really judge from his work in Into Eternity. I think he will do fine. He has a great range, can hit the high notes, which is a plus.

here is from blabbermouth

In the wake of vocalist Matt Barlow's retirement, dozens of demos and resumes flooded ICED EARTH's management team. But one name kept popping up — INTO ETERNITY vocalist Stu Block (pictured below), who has been named the new lead singer for ICED EARTH.

According to Schaffer, Robert Kampf, CEO of Century Media, early on suggested Block, whose band INTO ETERNITY was previously on the CM label. That reminded Schaffer of one night in September 2008 when INTO ETERNITY opened for ICED EARTH.

"ICED EARTH was backstage waiting to go on," said Schaffer. "We heard one of Stu's incredible wails. I remember turning to Matt and saying, 'Damn, that dude has serious range.'"

So while ICED EARTH's management team sifted through the growing number of prospective vocalists, Schaffer got in touch with Block.

After several phone conversations with the then-prospective ICED EARTH vocalist, Schaffer asked his manager to e-mail Block several key ICED EARTH songs, with the vocals stripped. Block went into his studio and recorded himself singing, then sent the files back to the team.

The result landed Block an intense two days at Schaffer's studio where the two musicians hit it off.

"I felt a lot of chemistry between us, we knocked out a couple of great original pieces of music in no time," said Schaffer. "He's very good at coming up with catchy melodies, and will help with lyrical duties as well. There's no doubt Stu has an amazing vocal range and a lot of energy, but he also has the touring experience, which is a big plus for our plans of performing in all corners of the world."

In addition, Schaffer said Block has what ICED EARTH needs in a front man: "stage presence that includes high energy, passion, and focused rage."

Schaffer added, "Stu is charismatic and understands the depth and varying emotions in ICED EARTH's music. So he will embody not only the emotion of our songs, but he will be able to perform them in a dynamic way. I believe fans are in for some incredible records and live shows in the coming years."

New ICED EARTH vocalist Stu Block concurred: "ICED EARTH fans are wonderful, wonderful people," he said. "The music is so passionate. So they're passionate, and very loyal to the band. I am, too. I'm a huge fan of ICED EARTH myself. So I share that same passion, and I will show it on stage. I think the fans are really going to dig it."

Block continued: "It's a huge honor to be doing this, to be part of this team. It's a dream come true, for sure.”

Schaffer is totally stoked. "This is a new beginning," he said. "It's game-on time. ICED EARTH is going to record and tour like it never has before. The band is really amped-up and ready to hit the ground running in November."

And to prove it, ICED EARTH has released the European leg of a world tour that will take the band to countries it has never previously played. All told, the 2011-2012 ICED EARTH world tour will be the largest the band has undertaken since its inception.

Orodaran

#42 Post by Orodaran » 17 Mar 2011 00:12

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Here's some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GSFcYqBoc

I honestly don't know what Jon's thinking hiring this guy. Perhaps he wants to appeal to the younger American crowd who's into things like Killswitch Engage and Arch Enemy, but I hardly see how that would be in keeping with the tradition of good old power metal that IE's known for.
If he sings the most aggressive stuff like 10K Strong in his style with Into Eternity, I quit with Iced Earth.

I hope he'll prove to have the clean aggression of Tim and the heartfelt passion of Matt....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

John T. Berzanske IV

#43 Post by John T. Berzanske IV » 17 Mar 2011 01:33

Jon is a control freak. Any failure to deliver what is "expected" of an Iced Earth vocalist will surely be because Jon chose/approved of said melodies and vocal lines. That being said, Jon's writing is pretty predictable as far as sound goes so I think we can expect something that is at the very least similar to previous material. Stu is an interesting vocalist choice. I've had to chance to see him perform live a few times and he always sounds really solid. His range is quite large as well. I think we'll be hearing lots of typical Iced Earth agressive clean vocals with the occasional growly/screamy part.

Dentarthurdent

#44 Post by Dentarthurdent » 17 Mar 2011 03:09

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I honestly don't know what Jon's thinking hiring this guy. Perhaps he wants to appeal to the younger American crowd who's into things like Killswitch Engage and Arch Enemy, but I hardly see how that would be in keeping with the tradition of good old power metal that IE's known for.
yeah, whatever happened to "Fuck Posers"? :D

teo_guardian

#45 Post by teo_guardian » 17 Mar 2011 11:43

this guy has an incredible range and very nice clean tone!
there's no reason to think negative about this choice..
I think he'll fit fine in IE songs..especially when he must scream high :mrgreen:

Frozen within

#46 Post by Frozen within » 17 Mar 2011 12:01

Iced Earth was still around ? I thought they disbanded a long time ago ....
Eat more vegetables !

nckissfan

#47 Post by nckissfan » 17 Mar 2011 14:04

most of the growls in Into Eternity are done by the guitarist. Stu does them, too, but he does more the high stuff. I have seen them live 6 times, he delivers. He has incredible range. I think this is a good fit for Iced Earth.

The Rider Of Rohan

#48 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Mar 2011 19:25

you have to remember Into Eternity is a different style. You can't really judge from his work in Into Eternity.
I have to judge by what I know. After all, I cannot judge by what I don't know. And after listening the Into Eternity songs I can safely say that if they let this singer sing this way, than it means the band is over for me. Sure, 17-year old American kids might like it, but it's nothing for me.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

prongs

#49 Post by prongs » 17 Mar 2011 23:02

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
you have to remember Into Eternity is a different style. You can't really judge from his work in Into Eternity.
I have to judge by what I know. After all, I cannot judge by what I don't know. And after listening the Into Eternity songs I can safely say that if they let this singer sing this way, than it means the band is over for me. Sure, 17-year old American kids might like it, but it's nothing for me.
I totally agree,it just wouldn't be IE anymore, I hope Schaffer, being a control freak and all, won't let him sing this way.
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Skrymir

#50 Post by Skrymir » 18 Mar 2011 20:22

I've listened to some of their songs and I can guess, what Schaffer's thoughts could have been.

The high pitched parts are quite similar to the ones of Ripper, but he also can sing really low in the clean vocal parts (he sings clean in the chorus of most Into Eternity songs). So he could be able to sing stuff like 10k strong or The Reckonig aswell as the classics.
His own new style in upcoming CDs could actually be this growling and screaming, because no IE singer did that before. And I think that would suck.

Anyone noticed, that "Iced Earth" and "Into Eternity" are both "IE"? So this new singer propably sucks at browsing the internet.