New Iced Earth album in the works

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
John T. Berzanske IV

New Iced Earth album in the works

#1 Post by John T. Berzanske IV » 14 Feb 2011 14:22

No shock there, but I am curious to see the return from the concept albums to "hopefully" just a straight up collection of metal tunes. Could very cool. Or very disappointing.

I really do hope it has as much vengeance as the good old days.

U.S. power metallers ICED EARTH are hard at work on their tenth studio album, due later this year via Century Media Records.

Unlike 2008's "The Crucible Of Man" and 2007's "Framing Armageddon", the new CD won't be a conceptual effort. Instead, band leader Jon Schaffer promises a return to the raw-and-heavy sound of ICED EARTH's classic fan-favorite albums.

"I can tell you from the riffs and the attitude behind it," he said, "this is going to be a bad-ass record. This is inspired, focused, and to the point. This is really heavy stuff. It's a kick in the nuts."

He added: "People probably think I don't have it in me any more. But they're going to be proved wrong about that. I can tell you this: we're coming back with a vengeance. We're out for blood."
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=153892
ra me nivar wrote:You can be satisfied after making a nice omelette, but I would need more to be fulfilled, like having a son, writting a book or fucking Nicole Kidman.
http://www.LychBand.com

Orodaran

Re: New Iced Earth album in the works

#2 Post by Orodaran » 14 Feb 2011 20:42

Well, I really do hope that Jon proves me wrong! c'mon man, kick all of our asses!!!!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Twister

#3 Post by Twister » 15 Feb 2011 01:47

Let's hope so :)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

Skrymir

#4 Post by Skrymir » 20 Feb 2011 15:46

I didn't really dislike Something Wicked Parts 1 and 2, but this are actually really good news.

Just one question left: When could the next Demons&Wizards be released, if both are so busy doing band-stuff?^^

t.a.j.

#5 Post by t.a.j. » 20 Feb 2011 15:59

Bah. There will never be a Night of the Stormrider pt. 2.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#6 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 20 Feb 2011 16:10

With so many bands releasing a part two of a classic album, it wouldn't surprise me if IE jumped on the bandwagon too.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 20 Feb 2011 16:26

I think making 2 albums based on a trilogy of songs of a successful disc that already tells the whole story (save for the sissy ending) is already enough.....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Feb 2011 19:14

I'd say bringing back the old singer while his replacement was so much better is already enough.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Gandalf de Grijze

#9 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 21 Feb 2011 22:23

I really don't think Owens was better than Barlow
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#10 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 21 Feb 2011 22:33

I wouldn't say he was better or worse in terms of quality, just that I liked him much more in IE than I liked Barlow.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

John T. Berzanske IV

#11 Post by John T. Berzanske IV » 22 Feb 2011 06:46

Switching back to Barlow like that was kind of a let down. I feel like once I had adjusted to the idea that Owens was new voice of Iced Earth, I was realy looking forward a new era of music and new inspiration in songwriting. Don't get me wrong, I think Barlow is fantastic, but it's not like he came back and Iced Earth wrote their greatest album ever. It might have their most forgettable, for me at least.

But here's to hoping for another Night of the Stormrider! (Hey, I can dream, right?)
ra me nivar wrote:You can be satisfied after making a nice omelette, but I would need more to be fulfilled, like having a son, writting a book or fucking Nicole Kidman.
http://www.LychBand.com

t.a.j.

#12 Post by t.a.j. » 22 Feb 2011 18:37

John T. Berzanske IV wrote:Switching back to Barlow like that was kind of a let down. I feel like once I had adjusted to the idea that Owens was new voice of Iced Earth, I was realy looking forward a new era of music and new inspiration in songwriting. Don't get me wrong, I think Barlow is fantastic, but it's not like he came back and Iced Earth wrote their greatest album ever. It might have their most forgettable, for me at least.
I really like Owens, I liked what he did when he was in Priest but I don't think he fits with Iced Earth. Granted, I'm only interested in pre-TGB Iced Earth and don't much care for anything after Burnt Offerings, but Owens just doesn't fit into that song environment.
But here's to hoping for another Night of the Stormrider! (Hey, I can dream, right?)
You can, but it's foolish.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#13 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Feb 2011 18:48

Actually I believe Ripper suited the stuff from the first two albums better than Barlow. And at WOA, he nailed the more recent material too. I've seen a lot of impressive shows with Barlow before he left, but Ripper simply blew me away live. I saw them again with Barlow on the tour with Priest. It was okay, but not great.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Skrymir

#14 Post by Skrymir » 22 Feb 2011 19:15

"Night Of The Stormrider" wasn't with Barlow. And imo. it really wasn't the best IE-album. :P

And though I really like Ripper, Matt's voice is just uncompareable. They didn't have to get Ripper at all, since Schaffer is quite a good singer himself. And I don't get why they couldn't keep Ripper when Barlow returned, why not having two singers?

Baby_Kürsch

#15 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 22 Feb 2011 19:25

The problem with TGB was, I feel at least, that it was written for Barlow to sing. I always felt the The Ripper just didn't fit that album. But then they put out FA, which was obviously written for Ripper, and it blew me away because it feels like it was written more towards his style. I'm glad Barlow is back and can't wait for the new album. But I was also bummed when I heard the Ripper because I like FA so much.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Palantyre

#16 Post by Palantyre » 22 Feb 2011 20:15

I thought it was great news when I heard Barlow was returning to the band, because he's easily one of my favourite metal vocalists. I have nothing against Ripper, he's got a pretty impressive scream, but in my book he just can't hold a candle to Barlow.

However, this was what made the blandness of The Crucible of Man an even bigger disappointment. Even a fantastic singer like Barlow can't salvage songs with such mediocre songwriting.

But at least Barlow's still in, so I'm carefully optimistic about the next album. Here's hoping Schaffer can get his shit together.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Andreas

#17 Post by Andreas » 22 Feb 2011 22:18

I'm not really interested. They'll never make a second TGB... The only Barlow album I like is Horror Show. I never really cared for the rest.

The thing with Barlow is that he's not necessarily bad, but there's something about the sound of his voice, it has something whiny. Just listen to the chorus of Jack.

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Feb 2011 22:32

Baby_Kürsch wrote:The problem with TGB was, I feel at least, that it was written for Barlow to sing. I always felt the The Ripper just didn't fit that album.
Dunno. Personally I feel he nailed songs like Red Baron and Greenface. I couldn't imagine Barlow singing those.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#19 Post by Orodaran » 22 Feb 2011 22:35

I can't imagine Barlow either singing the finale to High Water Mark, which the highest emotional moment of the album. And we all know from A Question of Heaven or Come What May that Matt has no issue in bringing out emotional climaxes in songs.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Zhuge Liang

#20 Post by Zhuge Liang » 07 Mar 2011 06:38

I can tell you this: we're coming back with a vengeance. We're out for blood."
Pretty sure he said that the last time. Probably the time before that, too.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -Zhuge Liang

nckissfan

#21 Post by nckissfan » 09 Mar 2011 00:28

Orodaran wrote:I can't imagine Barlow either singing the finale to High Water Mark, which the highest emotional moment of the album. And we all know from A Question of Heaven or Come What May that Matt has no issue in bringing out emotional climaxes in songs.....
I don't think he could sing High Water Mark. I saw IE two times on "The Crucible" tour. Matt sounded really bad. He couldn't even get the verses right for songs Tim sang on. I was able to see IE back in 2004 on TGB tour, and Tim did a great job on the "Matt" songs, even singing some of them better, imo.

I like Matt's voice, but I think Tim's voice suits the more aggressive IE songs.

I hope they get a singer more like Tim for the new album.

renegade_rocker

#22 Post by renegade_rocker » 13 Mar 2011 03:17

One thing for sure is that the first single with the new singer will have the whole Days Of Purgatory methodology again. Schaffer will be like, gee, the band has a new singer, so let's redo three more songs as part of the first single with my new guy!
I need a live woman to fill with my fluid, a delicate girl, to mutalate, fuck and kill.

nckissfan

#23 Post by nckissfan » 14 Mar 2011 03:58

haha, probably right there

renegade_rocker

#24 Post by renegade_rocker » 15 Mar 2011 20:00

Then when he gets tired of the new singer he'll do it again with another new guy, and dollars to doughnuts he'll probably do three songs from the second something wicked album, because he's got a new guy and wants everyone to get use to the new singer. Ither that or he'll redo three songs from the back catalog that had Matt singing on them.
I need a live woman to fill with my fluid, a delicate girl, to mutalate, fuck and kill.

Skrymir

#25 Post by Skrymir » 15 Mar 2011 21:37

There are no re-recordings of Horror-Show-songs yet. I guess -whoever- will sing a new shortend version of "Damien" for the next EP.

Frozen within

#26 Post by Frozen within » 17 Mar 2011 12:10

Barlow gave the band an extra dimension, in the sense that his singing style was narrative and melodic at the same time. He both told and sang the stories, which came to life while he did. At least, that's what I always felt, his voice really struck me like no other. Way back that was, because I gave up on all sorts of heavy bands, and Iced Earth was one of the first amongst them. One of the most overrated heavy bands in human history, but with one damn fucking fine album (Night of the Stormrider) and some quite enjoyable tracks scattered over their complete discography. Good for them that they're still around though.
Eat more vegetables !

renegade_rocker

#27 Post by renegade_rocker » 20 Mar 2011 18:55

I don't know if this may seem far fetched, but I can see Matt doing vocals for any future Sons Of Liberty project, because that project doesn't tour for the most part.

The Rider Of Rohan

#28 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 20 Mar 2011 18:59

Would seem like a nice idea, but it would create a bit of a Cavalera Conspiracy/Sepultura-situation, where there are two versions of the same band, and where the one without the actual name can actually be considered the 'real one' by the fans. Still, I wouldn't mind if it happened.

A Barlow solo-cd would be nice too.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#29 Post by Orodaran » 20 Mar 2011 19:11

With all the weird shit that the band already endured, they could have kept Matt as a singer and hire someone for the concerts. I know it's a bit of a weird idea to have a guy only sing on albums and then let another dude be on the road, but hey, we're talking about a band that had a two parts concept albums with two different singers with the first singer brutally fired from the band and the second singer leaving again the band before re-recording the first part of the concept could ever happen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Skrymir

#30 Post by Skrymir » 20 Mar 2011 23:11

Call me a geek, but actually Ripper sings from the point of view of the ancient setian race while Barlow practically voices the Set Abominae. Schaffer didn't plan that, neither does he ike it, but it could make some sense storywise.

So just keep hoping the next album isn't "Something Wicked Part 3"... -.-

Orodaran

#31 Post by Orodaran » 21 Mar 2011 20:54

Yeah, that indeed makes sense, I probably thought about it myself as well. After all it was Matt anyway voicing Set in The Coming Curse....

And definitively there won't be Something Wicked part 3, the story end with Set changing suddenly his mind at the very last minute after having spent 2 millennia ranting on how much he would have kicked everyone's asses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Strahd

#32 Post by Strahd » 22 Mar 2011 15:13

Well they just announced their new singer
http://www.icedearth.com/
I'm for sure going to miss Matt but I'm also curious to see how this turns out. Just wish that Matt had re-recorded
Framing Armageddon first.
Now Listening To: Evergrey - Glorious Collision
Now Reading: Graham McNeil - Mechanicum
Now Playing: Dragon Age II
Now Watching: -

renegade_rocker

#33 Post by renegade_rocker » 23 Mar 2011 03:37

If I recall correctly, in the song come what may, that actually wasn't the Sett character speeking, but it was Schaffer himself in modern time. The something wicked story will go on from what I understand in alternative form, like a comic book, or a possible movie, but there deffinatly won't be a part three album.

Baby_Kürsch

#34 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 23 Mar 2011 16:30

Strahd wrote:Well they just announced their new singer
http://www.icedearth.com/
I'm for sure going to miss Matt but I'm also curious to see how this turns out. Just wish that Matt had re-recorded
Framing Armageddon first.
Yea I doubt that album would be very good with him on vocals.

wade-newb

#35 Post by wade-newb » 23 Mar 2011 16:59

Stu Block seems like a pretty drastic change in direction. I'm pretty curious as to how this album will turn out actually.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Orodaran

#36 Post by Orodaran » 23 Mar 2011 21:02

renegade_rocker wrote:If I recall correctly, in the song come what may, that actually wasn't the Sett character speeking, but it was Schaffer himself in modern time.
I'm pretty sure it's Set himself having a change of heart at the eleventh and half hour... after all, even if mankind "changes their ways", what can they do to face a treat they are not even aware of to begin with?? It could be only Set to have the choice to say "Ok, I was bred to destroy you all in a 12K years long plan, but if you show to not be such assholes all the time, I may just spare you".
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Baby_Kürsch

#37 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 24 Mar 2011 13:24

Orodaran wrote:
renegade_rocker wrote:If I recall correctly, in the song come what may, that actually wasn't the Sett character speeking, but it was Schaffer himself in modern time.
I'm pretty sure it's Set himself having a change of heart at the eleventh and half hour... after all, even if mankind "changes their ways", what can they do to face a treat they are not even aware of to begin with?? It could be only Set to have the choice to say "Ok, I was bred to destroy you all in a 12K years long plan, but if you show to not be such assholes all the time, I may just spare you".
I think you're right on the money with that train of thought.

nckissfan

#38 Post by nckissfan » 25 Mar 2011 16:34

haha Matt singing Framing Armageddon would suck. I just dont see it.

Baby_Kürsch

#40 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 26 Mar 2011 03:35

Those songs aren't bad (Barlow does have an amazing voice) but I dont feel they are as powerful with Barlow on vocals. He just cant pull off those high pitched wails as good as The Ripper and for me personally thats what made that album so amazing.

I have to say I do like Barlow better on The Clouding he has a better voice when it comes to softer songs than Owens. But at 5:38 when the song makes the transition, Barlows transition isn't as good as Owens. Although the chorus line here is still delivered in the traditional Barlow manner which, after all these years, is still amazing.

After listening to Barlow sing all these songs I realize Im really gonna miss him singing for Iced Earth and it makes me alittle sad to see him go (again).

All in all after listening to Barlow sing these songs then listening to Owens sing them I do not believe that album would be better with Barlow. I like Barlow he is an amazing signer and will always been one of my all time favorites but Ownes delivers FA 100% better.

renegade_rocker

#41 Post by renegade_rocker » 30 Mar 2011 18:02

It will be interesting to see how Stew Block handles the old songs, like Dante's Inferno, My Own Savior etc. Hopefully they won't be done in a completely different key like the something wicked trilogy was done for the Overture Of The Wicked single.

nckissfan

#42 Post by nckissfan » 30 Mar 2011 23:18

I have heard all of them, and found them to be very weak. Sorry, I love Matt's vocals, but they don't work very well with the FA songs, nor the songs on TGB. The songs seem to have less energy, sort of dumbed down. I don't know what it is. I don't think The Crucible of Man was as heavy as FA, either. It just doesn't deliver the power that FA does.

On the Setian Massacre the drums sound like crap, and you can hear Tim's back vocals being used to try and prop the song up.

renegade_rocker

#43 Post by renegade_rocker » 13 Apr 2011 00:11

You can pretty much bet that the mix for the new record will go back to the god aufull thin production now that Barlow's gone again. They should really use someone like Andy Sneep who's one of the best behind the boards.

Zook

#44 Post by Zook » 13 Apr 2011 07:31

renegade_rocker wrote:You can pretty much bet that the mix for the new record will go back to the god aufull thin production now that Barlow's gone again. They should really use someone like Andy Sneep who's one of the best behind the boards.
I'd like to agree, but have you heard Into Eternity's The Scattering Of Ashes? Not so good production there, especially the drums.

I don't think Jon will ever change studios since he's such good friends with Jim Morris, he probably gets a big discount or something.

The Rider Of Rohan

#45 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 09 May 2011 19:22

micahwkerley wrote:Jon Schaffer returns with some unfinished business of sorts on the latest disc from his vehicle, Iced Earth. Titled "Framing Armageddon," this 19-track epic picks up where the 1998 "Something Wicked This Way Comes" album left off, as Schaffer and crew use their traditional metal wares to flesh out this sc-fi fantasy.

Thanks in part to a stunning vocal performance by Tim "Ripper" Owens, this disc blasts out of the gate with an epic metal swagger that showcases the band at its best, intertwining tumultuous emotional wranglings over an assault of constant metallic firepower on such rousing numbers as "Ten Thousand Strong" and the crunchy mid-tempo stomp "Retribution Through the Ages."

Able to retain their durable Maiden/Helloween musical template without foregoing a fair share of experimenting with instrumentation and composition on cuts like the moody "The Clouding," "Framing Armagddon" finds Iced Earth thrashing through their brand of progressive power metal with all guns blazing.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#46 Post by Andreas » 09 May 2011 22:30

I didn't knew this thread was that old...

Feanor l'invincible

#47 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 14 Jun 2011 06:48

And it's called "Dystopia".
Stu Block sings on the new album.
It may comes before the US tour in november, so maybe September or October 2011.. :D

What do you guys think of the title?
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Orodaran

#48 Post by Orodaran » 14 Jun 2011 19:52

That is a hint about an album full of political stuff like Sons of Liberty, and that therefore it will utterly and majorly SUCK.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

renegade_rocker

#49 Post by renegade_rocker » 14 Jun 2011 20:56

Not only that, but because they now have Stew Block, who has a much thinner voice, the production of this new record will go back to the god aufull tgb/framing production from hereon in.

renegade_rocker

#50 Post by renegade_rocker » 14 Jun 2011 21:00

And I can also venture to guess the same type of sludgy songs will be in effect as it was for the last album. As much as I'm a fan, they've really gone down hill compared to Burnt Offerings and other such albums. Schaffer said the same thing about new songs giving him that sertan feeling, but it really hasn't delivered.