Gods of war is fucking amazing

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

Gods of war is fucking amazing

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 Jan 2011 23:03

Just wanted to point this out, because there seems to be some misunderstanding about this. Gods of war is amazing. It first I thought it stank, then I thought it was good, and now I think it's brilliant. All of the intro's and interludes mean that it's a difficult album to get into, but the same can be said about BG's NIME. Easily their best album ever.

Thanks for listening.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Dentarthurdent

Re: Gods of war is fucking amazing

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 14 Jan 2011 23:14

What band were you talking about again?
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Skrymir

#3 Post by Skrymir » 15 Jan 2011 00:12

Some TV-casted Boygroup named Whore-O-Man once made an album with that title. It's quite similar to some of the stuff Village People made, but slower.

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Jan 2011 01:17

u r teh ghey.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Dentarthurdent

#5 Post by Dentarthurdent » 15 Jan 2011 01:19

Ah, I see. Yeah, heard of those. Fucking emo cocksuckers!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

LeBard

#6 Post by LeBard » 15 Jan 2011 15:42

Over indulgent; it got the same problems as Rhapsodys Symphony of Enchanted Lands II and Triumph or Agony. Just because you can make an intro 9 minutes, doesn't mean you should. How long is War of Wrath? Barely 2 minutes? I don't got ADHD, but jesus christ, I want to rock out, not pretend I'm in a church. (And I love choirs, but less is more). And that long intro is just the beginning of overtures and intros and what-not.

But yeah, it got some decent songs. But there's so much fat that can be cut out.

"But you can just skip those songs!"

Yeah, and I do, the remaining songs are vanilla heavy metal at best. NiME "storytelling" part are short, and the songs in-between so good that it feels like someone is giving you a hand job with silk gloves.

Actually, if you put together all the interludes from NiME, I doubt you'd even reach 8 minutes. Every interlude in Gods of War is like, an EP on its own (30 minutes). So the remaining songs, not counting marching in the beginning of them, interludes in the songs ("something something valhalla!") it barely reaches 40 minutes of music. Which is okay, lots of great albums are around that length, but those albums don't hide their music in an ocean of "epic narrative awesome awesome awesome".

Maybe it's just not for me.

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 15 Jan 2011 16:01

Well, I totally agree with you about the difference of the NIME interludes and the GOW interludes. Still, I like the album, it won't surpass what is for me their best album (Triumph of Steel), but it's a good record and quite an improvement over Warriors of the World.

I remember having made a 45 minute "edit version" of the album cutting out all the intros and spoken parts, it flows better that way :wink: I should try one day to listen to it in its entirety.....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Drex

#8 Post by Drex » 15 Jan 2011 16:44

I've only heard "Sleipnir" and "Sons of Odin" but they fucking rule! :lol:

Traveller in Time

#9 Post by Traveller in Time » 15 Jan 2011 23:06

Well it is more like a radio play than a music CD, but well it's a concept album and there is nothing wrong about that.

But i complain about the production of gods of war! Come on ith such title of gods of war you expect hard drumming sound and what do you get? It sounds like a drum machine (maybe it is one) and then those synthesizer orchestra, really lame. I would expect that on a album of a small underground band, but doesn't deMaio always point out that they give their best blablabla?

Of course some material is really often used again and again but well it's like with a movie soundtrack, there are many themes returning over and over again and i can see that there is some red line in this concept album, increasing with every song and finally uniting all in one big clash!
But the production really sucks!

And i really dislike the behaviour of Manowar at all and their " a mount of release philosphy"
first it was funny to be like Spinal Tap, but with every news i fear they mean what they say!
Sorry they just try to get as much money as they can get without any value.
Re-recordings, alternate versions, DVDs from nearly every concert, expensive fan art (i remember those cover prints for several hundred dollars), backstage tickets with no value.

I did like their music but the rest is really lame.
Without Adams they would be an average band.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

wade-newb

#10 Post by wade-newb » 16 Jan 2011 21:43

I thought you were talking about Def Leppard: Gods of War (song title)

Where may I find the relevant band?
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

The Rider Of Rohan

#11 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Jan 2011 20:07

Traveller in Time wrote:Well it is more like a radio play than a music CD, but well it's a concept album and there is nothing wrong about that.

But i complain about the production of gods of war! Come on ith such title of gods of war you expect hard drumming sound and what do you get? It sounds like a drum machine (maybe it is one) and then those synthesizer orchestra, really lame. I would expect that on a album of a small underground band, but doesn't deMaio always point out that they give their best blablabla?

Of course some material is really often used again and again but well it's like with a movie soundtrack, there are many themes returning over and over again and i can see that there is some red line in this concept album, increasing with every song and finally uniting all in one big clash!
But the production really sucks!

And i really dislike the behaviour of Manowar at all and their " a mount of release philosphy"
first it was funny to be like Spinal Tap, but with every news i fear they mean what they say!
Sorry they just try to get as much money as they can get without any value.
Re-recordings, alternate versions, DVDs from nearly every concert, expensive fan art (i remember those cover prints for several hundred dollars), backstage tickets with no value.

I did like their music but the rest is really lame.
Without Adams they would be an average band.
Well, you could change the name Manowar into that of any other band and apply those things you just said. Fact is that every band has a production that someone doesn't like, does alternate versions of songs, and releases dvd's. Yet I never see you or anybody else go for posts as lengthy as yours for other bands, as you do for Manowar.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#12 Post by Andreas » 17 Jan 2011 20:44

Honestly I'm not into Manowar and don't know too much about them, but he could mean that that strategy is especially atrocious while the band states that it has a very different philosophy? Just tryin' to help...

Traveller in Time

#13 Post by Traveller in Time » 17 Jan 2011 21:35

Andreas wrote:Honestly I'm not into Manowar and don't know too much about them, but he could mean that that strategy is especially atrocious while the band states that it has a very different philosophy? Just tryin' to help...
exactly. Thanks :D
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Well, you could change the name Manowar into that of any other band and apply those things you just said. Fact is that every band has a production that someone doesn't like, does alternate versions of songs, and releases dvd's. Yet I never see you or anybody else go for posts as lengthy as yours for other bands, as you do for Manowar.
Sorry, I know no band releasing redundant stuff this regularly as Manowar did till now.
Due to the length, maybe the reason is that i like their music but i'm disappointed of their affectation.
Like i said a bit "Spinal Tap" is funny and suits them, but they are now too far into it.
It's often said: you love them or hate them, but i am in between it seems ;)

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Jan 2011 19:22

Sorry, I know no band releasing redundant stuff this regularly as Manowar did till now.
Well, 'redundant' is obviously a point of view, as a dvd-release has different emotional values for different people. If BG were to release another dvd of their new tour, some would really like it while others would go 'meh'. You can hardly claim that something is redundant just because you wouldn't buy it.

Besides, they don't even release material in that great a number. Iron Maiden and Dream Theater release way more rehashed material than Manowar does, and I never hear you (or anyone else) complain about that. Even BG does it: all of their albums have been rereleased a number of time in recent years, each time with a new set of bonustracks. You can say what you will about Manowar, but they never reissue the same recording with a couple of extra songs that at the time weren't deemed good enough to put on the original release.

Sorry my friend, but it just seems like you have a grudge against Manowar and try to throw random things in their face.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Traveller in Time

#15 Post by Traveller in Time » 18 Jan 2011 22:19

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, 'redundant' is obviously a point of view
Yes, but so is everything in a discussion ;)
I call it redundant when there are nearly the same songs on a DVD. I know that they are not identical, but you don't want to turn this into a scientific discussion, or?
I am no native english speaker, so maybe i can't express it more detailed. But reading all those critics about the last DVDs more and more people complain about this "redundancy".

If i would buy BG's DVDs if they would be released in this amount? Definitely yes! But i wouldn't complain about other people start talking about a sell out.

You forget that in BG's case it was their old label who did release those remastered versions (ok BG did agree to that)
Manowar have their own label! So there is no 'pressure' from the label. Anyway BG has just released one DVD so far. So i see no point in there.

Sorry, i know no band which has this amount of DVD releases. So yeah Manowar are alone in that!
And honestly IM is quite more popular (and are 5 years older) than Manowar.
Concerning Dream Theater: they are out of my focus.

Did i mention their last excuse for the delay of their new album?
Oh yeah they had to throw away all their written songs, because they changed the drummer.....
Mh, did BG change all songs for ATITM, because Thomen left?

But maybe back to the former topic:
In my eyes Manowar care too much about their releases than for their music (i understand that releases are important for a band and money too, but in a good balance). Gods of war is a nice concept album, but if Manowar would have set their focus on it, it would be a masterpiece.

Once again:

1) The drums are really weak on this album, they sound too smooth and not loud enough. Not authentic.
2) The orchestra parts:
An album which main parts are classic should be played by a real orchestra, especially if you call yourself Wagner fans. Manowar already have shown on the Earthshaker Festival that they can afford an orchestra (or is it true that it was just playback?). So why is there none used on GoW?
Ah yeah i forgot: There is a real orchestra playing the stuff.
But why the hell does it sound like a synthesizer? Two possibilities: It is a real orchestra , but the producer fucked it up OR Manowar lied. Whatever, for me the result counts only: it doesn't sound like an orchestra!

Sorry my friend, but it just seems like you have a grudge against Manowar and try to throw random things in their face.
Yeah you are right. For me music and its presentation is connected. And if i feel that someone wants to fool me, i am pissed off.
But i see no random things. Everything was said by many others before me.
BTW I will even buy their next album and if i like it will go to their concert. But since then i'll keep my average opinion.

And if you are honest: you try to protect them from every attack. :wink:

Dragon Guardian

#16 Post by Dragon Guardian » 25 Sep 2011 16:18

The first thing that came to mind was Blasphemy's Gods of War album :lol:

I agree that it doesn't sound like a real orchestra on this at all. nevertheless i still like this album, although I do hope that on the asgard saga they use a full orchestra and combine it with powerful metal songs. The songs on GOW are a bit weak.

t.a.j.

#17 Post by t.a.j. » 25 Sep 2011 21:01

Sign of the Hammer was the last, really good Manowar album.
That, there, is a truth. A deep, abiding truth. A truth that can guide your life, if you let it into your ... heart of steel, I guess.

Just thought I'd remind you all. Just so you, you know,... know.

Right.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Joost

#18 Post by Joost » 27 Sep 2011 02:22

I have one thing to add to this topic:

Listen to Into Glory Ride. Then shut up.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

The Rider Of Rohan

#19 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Sep 2011 22:33

Also a very great album.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#20 Post by Orodaran » 27 Sep 2011 22:43

t.a.j. wrote:Sign of the Hammer was the last, really good Manowar album.
The Triumph of Steel was recorded after that, mind you.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

t.a.j.

#21 Post by t.a.j. » 27 Sep 2011 23:31

Seriously, Triumph has some great songs, but is really bogged down by that 28 minute moment of indecision and aimless wankery. They could have taken the decent riffs and vocal lines and made a good 5 minute song, 7 maybe.... And than there is Metal Warriors, the one riff wonder. The demon's whip also mostly does away with the idea of the metal riff, providing a horrible blueprint for two decades of riffless metal. Finally, David Shankle plays horribly bland solos. Only Burning and The Power Of Thy Sword offer anything really great.

Joost

#22 Post by Joost » 28 Sep 2011 08:41

np: Guyana (Cult of the Damned)

We need more songs like this.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

t.a.j.

#23 Post by t.a.j. » 28 Sep 2011 11:46

Sloooowly crossing... as the river runs below...

Now that is epic, dramatic and powerful.

Orodaran

#24 Post by Orodaran » 28 Sep 2011 20:45

Burning?? I'd consider that the filler song of Triumph of Steel, even more than Metal Warriors!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

t.a.j.

#25 Post by t.a.j. » 29 Sep 2011 00:42

Orodaran wrote:Burning?? I'd consider that the filler song of Triumph of Steel, even more than Metal Warriors!
Really, I find it, just by being the most adventurous thing on the whole album and maybe their whole career, once they had a style going, one of the shining highlights of Triumph.