Roy Khan replaced (live) by Fabio Lione

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

Re: Roy Khan replaced (live) by Fabio Lione

#51 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Mar 2011 19:33

Pagesteal of Fire.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

prongs

#52 Post by prongs » 18 Mar 2011 19:58

Orodaran wrote:http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=155397

Get ready for the inevitable....
I think he made it quite obvious that the band is quite pissed with Roy's stance right now and to be honest replacing him does seem inevitable at the time...I hope he changes his mind by the time the "hit" the studio...damn if they do replace him this will be the third blow on bands I like ,mostly about their vocalists, since Iced Earth and Matt and Dragonforce's ZP Theart... :evil:
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

The Rider Of Rohan

#53 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Mar 2011 21:53

I don't see it that way. Actually I think he's rather cool about the whole thing, giving Roy the time and space to make up his mind and speak his mind towards the general public at his own leisure. I bet that Mike Portnoy was reading this story thinking 'man, these guys in Kamelot are great'.

Traditionally bandleaders who are actually pissed just fire their members and throw mud in their face on blab.net, and that's not exactly what's going on now.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

prongs

#54 Post by prongs » 18 Mar 2011 22:45

Well he does mention that over the years Khan's range has dropped and he can no longer perform songs like "Nights of Arabia" or "The centre of the universe" as good as Lione,he also says that the band was dissapointed and pissed off with Khan's decision but they won't fire him,they will let him resolve the problem on his own and finally he says that if Khan hasn't done so by the time they start recording the new album they're gonna cast him out anyway...

For my part I can't see any future for Kamelot without Roy Khan (or at least someone as great), so i hope he gets past these notions because letting us all down would be really bad... :(

The Rider Of Rohan

#55 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Mar 2011 23:50

Try not to be so negative.

It seems like Thomas is giving him a lot of credit for all the time he spent with the band and giving him the time to find out what he wants. That shows a lot of heart.

And the thing about Roy's vocal range, doesn't seem like a slam at all. If Roy tried to sing them during rehearsals and then said "hey guys my voice dropped" then it isn't an accusation, merely a factual analysis.

Bottom line is that every vocalist can be replaced. Khan is an amazing frontman and a great guy to boot. If he's wants to return to Kamelot he should, yet if he decides he's happier without the band then he should pursue other goals and still receive the blessings of his fans.

Besides, it's not like there isn't anybody else who can do the deed. Tons of bands have had a change of vocalists and ended up fine.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#56 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 08 Apr 2011 18:51

spamel wrote:
Periods.

teo_guardian

#57 Post by teo_guardian » 08 Apr 2011 20:22

I like Lione's performance...he is a true professional

corrupted old gnom

#58 Post by corrupted old gnom » 08 Apr 2011 21:55

...and I thought you'd post some NEWS ;)

EDIT: argh, I was reacting to Andrea posting the link of the interview - the last post of the first page
Last edited by corrupted old gnom on 09 Apr 2011 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Orodaran

#59 Post by Orodaran » 08 Apr 2011 23:32

Saw some of the videos.... good at it and capable of hitting all the high notes? yes. Fitting? no.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

prongs

#60 Post by prongs » 09 Apr 2011 02:25

There's no doubt he's a kick-ass singer but he just doesn't fit in... :(

T3hOverlord

#61 Post by T3hOverlord » 09 Apr 2011 18:16

the fans are really polarized everywhere. but it seems that many people that used to say Fabio would just fail are now actauly giving him a chance. personally, i find Fabio way better and he makes many kamelot songs that i never cared for actually enjoyable when he sings them

Gandalf de Grijze

#62 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 09 Apr 2011 18:29

still don't like his voice.. and his pronounciation is also (still) annoying
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Palantyre

#63 Post by Palantyre » 09 Apr 2011 20:29

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:still don't like his voice.. and his pronounciation is also (still) annoying
What he said. He just doesn't fit the mood of the songs, and for dick's sake, with this many years of experience under his belt, one might think he could be better with the pronounciation by now. But noooo.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

corrupted old gnom

#64 Post by corrupted old gnom » 09 Apr 2011 21:21

not that bad, actually
Khan is unique and Fabio "just another good singer" - nonetheless it's ok for me
thanks for posting the links - I'd love to hear "Sailorman's Hymn"...

Orodaran

#65 Post by Orodaran » 10 Apr 2011 10:32

Heard Forever from Buenos Aires... that one was good! but as you just said, they went from an unique singer to just-another singer...

It would be the same problem with replacing Hansi, who would ever sing the BG songs, clone from Persuader aside? not even Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

prongs

#66 Post by prongs » 11 Apr 2011 02:28

I was having a conversation with a friend about Khan being replaced by Lione and as he said, the fact that we are used to the Rhapsody-Lione maybe is another thing that we don't like about him performing with Kamelot, even more so when you take into consideration that Rhapsody are a lot "cheesier"...

LeBard

#67 Post by LeBard » 22 Apr 2011 14:08

Roy Khan officially said he's left Kamelot for good.

http://www.myspace.com/roykhanofficial/blog/542719606
So long!

Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!!!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan
Was never a big fan of Kamelot, but what made me coming back for more was this man's voice. Too bad, so sad. I hope he doesn't leave the music industry completely. Such a distinct voice, finding a replacement will be hell.

Orodaran

#68 Post by Orodaran » 22 Apr 2011 19:24

At least I wasn't unprepared for it.

Still, fuck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

corrupted old gnom

#69 Post by corrupted old gnom » 22 Apr 2011 22:16

...and from the band's website:
Kamelot statementPosted on April 22, 2011
With a heavy heart we can now announce that Roy Khan has chosen to leave the band. We wanted to give him ample time for this kind of decision, due to his recent burnout and also the amount of amazing times we have shared with him in Kamelot. We respectfully accept his resignation from the band and wish him the best in his future endeavors. The timing is actually good since we feel the uncertainty the fans have had can now be laid to rest and the band can move on to finding a new singer. “The tour is going great so far and the fans have been amazing throughout this entire process” – adds keyboardist Oliver Palotai. With the new tour already in progress, Kamelot has already begun the search for a new vocalist. “I have a few guys in mind”, said band founder Thomas Youngblood. “And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. There are some amazing singers that have already contacted us on this but we will take our time to find the right person”. Due to the overwhelming success of the recent shows in South America, we are pleased to announce new shows in November/December for Europe (stay tuned).

* The band headlines the Print de Temps Festival tonight and will play a Amsterdam (nearing sold-out) concert tomorrow followed by a full headliner tour with special guests Evergrey, Amaranthe and Sons of Seasons. (* Guest vocalists Fabio Lione and Tommy Karevik). Thank you for your support and see you on tour!!

Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean

wade-newb

#70 Post by wade-newb » 22 Apr 2011 22:27

Orodaran wrote:Heard Forever from Buenos Aires... that one was good! but as you just said, they went from an unique singer to just-another singer...

It would be the same problem with replacing Hansi, who would ever sing the BG songs, clone from Persuader aside? not even Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford....
Even the guy from Persuader doesn't have the amazing clean voice that Hansi uses.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

prongs

#71 Post by prongs » 23 Apr 2011 03:11

Oooooooooh maaaaan...... :( :( :(

The Rider Of Rohan

#72 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Apr 2011 16:35

Sad news, but kinda to be expected.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Steffi

#73 Post by Steffi » 29 Apr 2011 15:54

I just realized that Kamelot will be Stuttgart next weekend - and if Fabio is still singing for them I might take my chance to see him performing live again - that last Rhapsody of Fire concert was pure joy :)

Orodaran

#74 Post by Orodaran » 29 Apr 2011 18:51

I wasn't going to the concert, but a friend of mine got an additional ticket and is selling hers for just 15 euros, so I decided to go and see Kamelot of Fire with a discount :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Orodaran

#75 Post by Orodaran » 02 May 2011 19:54

...and so I went, and you know what? I must admit that Fabio is very, very good. Good stage presence of a frontman more than able to handle and excite the crowd, solid and very convincing performance vocal-wise, and being a famous name and in a band that fans of Kamelot may like is also an added value to draw more people at gigs, so now that I saw him live I can totally see why they went for him - and they made a very good choice. Sure he's no Khan nor he resembles him but his performance was great and he did surprisingly well on A Sailorman's Hymn which was a nice surprise for the evening.

One of the background vocalists was one Tommy Karevik who sang lead vocals on EdenEcho, he did a very great and impressive job on it, very interesting!!! from setlist.fm I noticed he's singing each night a different song, maybe he's somehow trying out to be the next singer? I wouldn't mind him, he was very good!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Steffi

#76 Post by Steffi » 03 May 2011 19:45

Thanks for the concert review - that sounds very promising! If I don't have to work, I'll see on Sunday for myself.

The Rider Of Rohan

#77 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 May 2011 21:53

Orodaran wrote: One of the background vocalists was one Tommy Karevik who sang lead vocals on EdenEcho, he did a very great and impressive job on it, very interesting!!! from setlist.fm I noticed he's singing each night a different song, maybe he's somehow trying out to be the next singer? I wouldn't mind him, he was very good!
You mean this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRDa-xTfwg

Certainly wouldn't mind him being the next singer.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#78 Post by Orodaran » 03 May 2011 22:02

Yep, that guy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#79 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 May 2011 23:06

Didn't know him until two posts ago, nor his band. But they both sound really nice, so I'm getting their albums as we speak. Thanks for the hint.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Dwarfare

#80 Post by Dwarfare » 04 May 2011 02:05

Eh, listening to a few of Seventh Wonder's songs, and that guy has the sound and style of some sort of teen/pop singer rather than a frontman for Kamelot. :|

Palantyre

#81 Post by Palantyre » 04 May 2011 09:20

Dwarfare wrote:Eh, listening to a few of Seventh Wonder's songs, and that guy has the sound and style of some sort of teen/pop singer
True.... but a very, very good one. So he's quite welcome to replace Khan as far as I'm concerned, even if he doesn't sound as unique.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#82 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 04 May 2011 10:05

Well, he sounds like a cross between the first singer and Khan, and that's great.

On this song he goes into the lower regions, and when he does he does sound an awful lot like the Khan of old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwg58wfB ... re=related

If he would do the low parts during the verses and keep the Kiske-parts for the choruses, he'd be quite perfect.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Dwarfare

#83 Post by Dwarfare » 07 May 2011 06:59

Listened to a couple Seventh Wonder songs and a few live vids of Tommy at the mic, and I have to say I'm still not a fan. His voice is just far too clean. Khan had excellent style when creating vocal melodies and the right touch of roughness and an edge to it. Tommy's voice is far more suited to pop music than this sort of thing, I believe, lacking many of the qualities Khan brought to the music as well as the variation of vibrato he uses being far more suited to your typical pop singing rather than power metal. His live performances seemed to have something of a superficial showmanship compared to Khan's own performance, but this could obviously either by simply my pessimistic attitude towards the whole affair coloring my perception or what one should rightfully expect from one man performing another's work that he may not yet be entirely familiar with. If he was to take over the vocal work, judging by the Seventh Wonder songs, the vocal styles presented would suffer considerably compared to Khan's work and unfortunately (perhaps only for me if no one else) I would lose a great deal of interest in the band. I'm not saying he's a bad singer, not at all. He's quite good, I just think it's kind of like trying to put the round block in the square hole. It's not a good fit.

Anyhow, time will tell, I suppose. Perhaps the work he does with Kamelot, if he is indeed chosen to be the new vocalist, will be of a different vocal style but reviewing the shows he has done and all of his previous work, I doubt it. I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority on this, judging from the YouTube comments (if anyone is so completely idiotic as to base anything off of YouTube comments). :roll:

The Rider Of Rohan

#84 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 09 May 2011 20:59

I don't quite get it what you mean when you say the guy from Seventh Wonder sound like pop music. Roy Khan wasn't exactly a death metalsinger, so to speak.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Dwarfare

#85 Post by Dwarfare » 10 May 2011 00:10

The comparison I'm trying to make isn't pop singing to death grunts, it's your typical pop singing to the more typical metal singing. Tommy's style of vibrato as he moves between notes and largely the character of his singing voice are something I hear much more in modern pop music than I do in the metal genres, and in my mind if seems like a bad fit for Kamelot (though if they've chosen him to be the new singer, then obviously they feel quite differently, and that's all well and good).

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's not my preference, for what that matters, and would hinder my enjoyment of their future work tremendously, though I'll still give the album a few spins to judge when it comes out.

Orodaran

#86 Post by Orodaran » 10 May 2011 19:30

Anyway, just to make it clear, no one ever said a word about Tommy joining or trying out for Kamelot; he's doing what he's doing, being a backup singer that sings a song on his own each night, of course there may be a possibility that he's actually trying out for the part since he's in the tour, but there's no indication whatsover that he's a candidate for the job or that the band is actually considering him. So we'll have to wait and see...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#87 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 May 2011 21:46

Well, I have to disagree with you there. If he's singing with them every night, then it would be downright strange if the band didn't at least consider him as an option.

Obviously that doesn't mean that it's a done deal as there's still other stuff to get out of the way (financial issues, the lawyers, creative opinions, not to mention the urge to consider other applicants).
spamel wrote:
Periods.

prongs

#88 Post by prongs » 27 Jan 2012 19:15

Does anyone have any news about a new front man?
I think they were supposed to start recording a new album last September...

Orodaran

#89 Post by Orodaran » 27 Jan 2012 21:12

They said they will announce him in time for the summer shows... that they are recording the new album and that vocals come last in the recording so they're in no hurry anyway... I wouldn't be surprised if they already picked one and keeping everything hush-hush.

Anyway, while I'm confident they may find a good singer and churn out a good album, Khan to me is irrepleaceable. It won't be the same without him, he was so unique... then again, after Matt Barlow left (again) Iced Earth everyone though that was it for IE but now many people (myself included) are happy with Stu and like Dystopia, let's hope it will be the same casme... but a part of Kamelot is gone forever and its magic won't be seen or heard again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

prongs

#90 Post by prongs » 28 Jan 2012 04:50

I totally agree but what happened with Stu and IE was really very very....veeery improbable but the Gods of metal seem to have blessed us once again with a great singer for a great band (not as great as Matt though :p) but I don't think we'll be that lucky with Kamelot as well.
However there's a guy from Greece that has done some great covers of Kamelot songs on youtube and in some way I'd like their new singer to be something like that,a talented but relatively unknown guy who has also been a fan of the group for years...anyway here's link to see for yourselves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjK9F5KB ... re=related

Drahcir

#91 Post by Drahcir » 29 Jun 2012 05:45

The new vocalist, Tommy Karevick, might be a worthy replacement. I've heard "Center of the Universe" with him and it was good.