Roy Khan replaced (live) by Fabio Lione

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Orodaran

Roy Khan replaced (live) by Fabio Lione

#1 Post by Orodaran » 16 Dec 2010 23:39

That's it, poor Roy is still burned out from his breakdown (I always feared he wasn't going to make it anytime soon) and so for "the remaining touring in support of Kamelot’s album, Poetry for the Poisoned" (which to me translates as "Forget about Roy Khan performing live with Kamelot until the next album) Fabio Lione from Rhapsody of Fire will step in as a replacement singer.

http://www.kamelot.com/site/news/us-sho ... /#more-632

Damn, that sucks. Roy is so unique and so fitting to Kamelot that no matter who the replacement singer is, it won't just be the same or even feel right.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Palantyre

Re: Roy Khan replaced (live) by Fabio Lione

#2 Post by Palantyre » 17 Dec 2010 00:08

I was just coming over to make this topic myself. I guess it's better for everyone that Oro beat me to it because I was planning to just paste the relevant section from that news article as a quote and then type HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA in huge letters.

Man, Fuhhhbio Lione singing Kamelot. What a fucking awful, horrible joke.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

MarchOfTime

#3 Post by MarchOfTime » 17 Dec 2010 00:25

:roll:

Man, Fabio must have some balls to be taking up this gig, seeing as he's gonna
get a lot of crap from them dedicated kamelot fans.

I'm extremely interested in hearing how he sounds
, though my hopes aren't that high
Bow down in the platinum maze
Twilight cathedrals spread the system plague
Forging sacred thrones in the void unseen
Merciless judgement in the church of the machine

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 17 Dec 2010 00:30

Well, if you forget the band he plays in, Fabio Lione is not a bad singer at all. But he's more suited for bombastic power metal, I don't see him suited for the Kamelot sound at all. I can't imagine him singing March of Mephisto, The Haunting or Abandoned.... maybe he will blow everyone away but I just don't see him fitting.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Palantyre

#5 Post by Palantyre » 17 Dec 2010 00:33

Well I have to admit, his voice isn't all that bad. It's just that I can't get over his amazingly shitty pronounciation of English, plus I'm horribly biased against Rhapsody anyway. (I refuse to say Rhapsody of Fire because it's fucking ridiculous.)

All in all, just ignore my rants when it comes to Rhapsody. They're just a huge pet peeve of mine.

LeBard

#6 Post by LeBard » 17 Dec 2010 00:34

Wow, this will be interesting. I hope Fabio will learn some proper enunciation now that he's hanging out with some non-italian folks, and seeing Simone Simons together with Fabio... that will be hawt.

T3hOverlord

#7 Post by T3hOverlord » 17 Dec 2010 00:55

well Fabio is liek an amazing singer with a huge range

i used to be biased against rhapsody too, thinking they were just so lame, then I listened to some Frozen Tears of Angels and just fell in love. Some of their stuff is so amazing. Songs like Sea of Fate and Raging Starfire blew me away and I now plan to pick up the rest of their albums.

MarchOfTime

#8 Post by MarchOfTime » 17 Dec 2010 01:00

Fabio is an amazing vocalist, I'm just saying the fact that he ISN'T Roy is whats not gonna sit well with those who paid to see Kamelot live.
Bow down in the platinum maze
Twilight cathedrals spread the system plague
Forging sacred thrones in the void unseen
Merciless judgement in the church of the machine

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 Dec 2010 08:06

Ppl shouldn't whine. If he didn't step in there would've been no gig at all. As Queen said: the show must go on.

Besides. Kamelot has been touring extensively for ten years, so this unexpected change might be interesting.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Webmaster
Site Admin

#10 Post by Webmaster » 17 Dec 2010 10:47

Well, now I don't have to buy tickets for the May 2011 show in Hamburg.

Rob The Wise

#11 Post by Rob The Wise » 17 Dec 2010 11:50

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Ppl shouldn't whine. If he didn't step in there would've been no gig at all. As Queen said: the show must go on.

Besides. Kamelot has been touring extensively for ten years, so this unexpected change might be interesting.

Agree, I would rather have a replacement singer then no Kamelot at all. They should be grateful for what they get. I'm looking forward to see Fabio, though he suxxxxxxxxx! at english pronounciation it will be fun nonetheless because of the fact that he's an energetic singer. Hopefully the kam-fans wont destroy him with bad attitude and hate too soon.

Pure Steel

#12 Post by Pure Steel » 17 Dec 2010 13:30

T3hOverlord wrote:well Fabio is liek an amazing singer with a huge range

i used to be biased against rhapsody too, thinking they were just so lame, then I listened to some Frozen Tears of Angels and just fell in love. Some of their stuff is so amazing. Songs like Sea of Fate and Raging Starfire blew me away and I now plan to pick up the rest of their albums.
I've listened to Raphsody for the first five albums and never liked them but I'll try to listen to the newest ones.
I don't like Lione's voice (I'm not saying he's not a good singer, just I don't like him) and I was furious when I heard he was back in Vision Divine (I like Luppi so much) but I'll give him a chance even if I think that Kan's voice was like a fingerprint for Kamelot.
Lo, there do I see my father... lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers... lo, there do I see the line of my peolple back to the beginning... lo, the do call to me. They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live Forever!!!!

Gandalf de Grijze

#13 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Dec 2010 15:04

Fabio is one of the main reasons i dislike rhapsody, so this is really bad news..
as Jason said, no need to get tickets for the show in april.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Andreas

#14 Post by Andreas » 17 Dec 2010 15:05

Now I definately want to see Kamelot live. One of my favourite bands with one of my all time favourite metal singers on vocals. And I wouldn't worry too much about his pronunciation. I think he will copy the words phonetically, like he did with the Manowar cover Power of thy Sword (which is IMO way better than the original).

corrupted old gnom

#15 Post by corrupted old gnom » 17 Dec 2010 20:46

Fabio is a good singer - but I have my doubts that he fits in well
Tommy somehow was a great replacement...now let's see how things work out with Fabio
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

rdyfrde

#16 Post by rdyfrde » 18 Dec 2010 23:50

I hate Lamelot but I might check them out if they come to the US with Fabio.
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Strahd

#17 Post by Strahd » 23 Dec 2010 02:31

Well that just means that the night will end quicker as I can leave after Evergrey has played their set :twisted:
Now Listening To: Evergrey - Glorious Collision
Now Reading: Graham McNeil - Mechanicum
Now Playing: Dragon Age II
Now Watching: -

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Dec 2010 10:45

Metalfans have become spoiled these days. In the seventies and the eighties bands changed their vocalist as often as their underwear.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

corrupted old gnom

#19 Post by corrupted old gnom » 23 Dec 2010 21:01

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Metalfans have become spoiled these days. In the seventies and the eighties bands changed their vocalist as often as their underwear.
...are you your avatar ;)

teo_guardian

#20 Post by teo_guardian » 25 Dec 2010 08:54

Well i think Fabio is a very good choice.And the reason is the Vocal range of course.yes i agree that his voice may not fit so well on the Kamelot songs but he is one of those who sing the highs with clear tone like Roy khan does so they took him because in vocal-technique terms he is identical with Roy.For example Hansi would not be a good choice because every note after A is done with harsh vocals when he sings live.something that Roy never does.
And yeah Rhapsody may not be so good as a band but Fabio's skills are extremely great!!....really ..he IS a professional...i prefer Hansi's voice any day i like it 100 times more than Fabio's but Fabio has better technique.
I'm using Hansi as an example just because it's the BG forum there's no other reason.

So now i REALLY want to listen to every single Kamelot song that Fabio will sing to see what's going to come out :-)

Andreas

#21 Post by Andreas » 25 Dec 2010 14:08

teo_guardian wrote:And yeah Rhapsody may not be so good as a band
The only part of your post where you failed.

teo_guardian

#22 Post by teo_guardian » 25 Dec 2010 14:57

Andreas wrote:
teo_guardian wrote:And yeah Rhapsody may not be so good as a band
The only part of your post where you failed.
No i like them...i just said it this way to show people that don't like them that they shouldn't focus on that and see the Vocalist as a vocalist..

i like a lot these songs:holy thunderforce,emerald sword,the village of dwarves,lord of the thunder,rage of the winter...

Actually i am in a band in which we play only cover songs and we have "the village of dwarves" on the list :wink:

Andreas

#23 Post by Andreas » 25 Dec 2010 16:14

Ah, I get you now. But don't let the opinions of other people here force you to say that Rhapsody may not be so good as a band. That just isn't true. Whether you like them or not, that's another question ;)

Led Guardian

#24 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Dec 2010 08:22

rdyfrde wrote:I hate Lamelot but I might check them out if they come to the US with Fabio.
And yet you like SA? :wink:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

rdyfrde

#25 Post by rdyfrde » 28 Dec 2010 00:00

Led Guardian wrote:And yet you like SA? :wink:
Indeed. Sonata has Tony Fucking Kakko. There's the difference ;)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Orodaran

#26 Post by Orodaran » 28 Dec 2010 21:36

but Kamelot has Roy fucking Khan!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Orodaran

#27 Post by Orodaran » 31 Jan 2011 21:08

Anyway, rumours (sadly it's a promoter of ProgPower USA telling them, not a random dude) go that Khan has "found religion" and that he's not coming back, soon or ever. I truly hope this is not the case and that eventually Kamelot will continue with him, even though I'm mentally preparing myself for the bad news (which won't be made official, if that will be the case, before work on the new album will start in 1 or 2 years).
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Gandalf de Grijze

#28 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 31 Jan 2011 21:27

thus dies Kamelot.. i suppose
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

The Rider Of Rohan

#29 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 31 Jan 2011 21:43

Strange story, especially as I don't know better than Khan has always been a religious person - he was wearing a cross around his neck on the 4th Legacy-tour, and some of his lyrics deal with religious topics. So it's kindof hard to believe he simply found god and decided to leave the band (and even if it was true in essence, I doubt that it's so black and white that you could sum it up in a couple of words.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

corrupted old gnom

#30 Post by corrupted old gnom » 01 Feb 2011 03:22

argh, on the cruise I forgot to ask their guitarist about Khan...

The Rider Of Rohan

#31 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Feb 2011 19:19

Orodaran wrote:Anyway, rumours (sadly it's a promoter of ProgPower USA telling them, not a random dude) go that Khan has "found religion" and that he's not coming back, soon or ever. I truly hope this is not the case and that eventually Kamelot will continue with him, even though I'm mentally preparing myself for the bad news (which won't be made official, if that will be the case, before work on the new album will start in 1 or 2 years).
I found the full story which he posted here:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/prog ... ation.html

Looks like Khan pulled a Barlow. Though I still take everything with a grain of salt until I have heard his side of the story. And if it's true they should keep Fabio Lione and change their name into Kamelot Of Fire.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#32 Post by Palantyre » 04 Feb 2011 15:11

And if it's true they should keep Fabio Lione and change their name into Kamelot Of Fire.
As horrible as it would be if that happened for real, I lol'd. :lol:

Anyways, the most preferable option would of course be Khan getting his shit together and getting back to the band, but if that's really not gonna happen, I wish they'll get a decent replacement. One that can actually pronounce English.

Andreas

#33 Post by Andreas » 04 Feb 2011 17:03

Palantyre wrote: Anyways, the most preferable option would of course be Khan getting his shit together and getting back to the band, but if that's really not gonna happen, I wish they'll get a decent replacement. One that can actually pronounce English.
Actually Fabio can pronounce that. It would sound like "Eengleesh" though...

Kalmari

#34 Post by Kalmari » 04 Feb 2011 18:22

Fabio is 10x better singer than Khan technically but Khan is 10x better at pronouncing :wink:

The Rider Of Rohan

#35 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 04 Feb 2011 19:09

To be totally honest... I never had that much problems with his pronunciation. Which song or part are you referring to?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Kalmari

#36 Post by Kalmari » 04 Feb 2011 23:48

I neither have problems with his pronunciation but still he isn't as good in it as Khan :D

Andreas

#37 Post by Andreas » 05 Feb 2011 11:42

He also has to deal with the fact with sometimes completely failing English sentences.

And my main example of his prononcation is the word "wisdom" in Holy Thunderforce. Sounds like "Weesdom".
Genius.

I still love his voice, he's one of my favourite metal singers and he's higher on my list than Kahn is.

Palantyre

#38 Post by Palantyre » 05 Feb 2011 12:14

Also:

dragon -> draygon
sword -> sward
virgin -> veergin

...off the top of my head.

Plus he just sounds annoying in general.

The Rider Of Rohan

#39 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Feb 2011 13:12

Ah, okay. Thought you guys were referring to Khan's English, which would've been very strange.

Fabio indeed has a huge accent, though his English did get better through the years.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#40 Post by Palantyre » 05 Feb 2011 13:17

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Ah, okay. Thought you guys were referring to Khan's English, which would've been very strange.
Oh yeah, heh. Could've been more clear about that, I suppose. My bad. Yeah, Khan's English is nothing short of perfect in my ears.

But seriously though, I can't think of anyone right now who'd be a good replacement for Khan, because his smooth vocal style is pretty integral for the Kamelot sound. Blad from Falconer, maybe? I dunno.

Orodaran

#41 Post by Orodaran » 05 Feb 2011 14:04

Yeah, that would be a good choice. But the "problem" with Khan is that he's so unique and fits so good Kamelot that it's hard to imagine someone else in his shoes. Same with Hansi, who could ever sing the BG songs? just the Persuader guy, and he's a carbon copy...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#42 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Feb 2011 14:17

From what I have learned, nobody is irreplaceable. Any band is greater than the sum of its parts. If vocalists like Dio and Halford can be replaced, then so can Khan - no matter how much I love the guy.

For example: Jeff Scott Soto would fit the bill perfectly, as would Zak Stevens.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

teo_guardian

#43 Post by teo_guardian » 05 Feb 2011 23:11

Orodaran wrote:Yeah, that would be a good choice. But the "problem" with Khan is that he's so unique and fits so good Kamelot that it's hard to imagine someone else in his shoes. Same with Hansi, who could ever sing the BG songs? just the Persuader guy, and he's a carbon copy...
there are people around the globe that sound like Hansi exactly and nobody knows them..that happens with every singer and i suppose that there is a guy
somewhere that sounds like Khan.Now that guy must move his ass and go to Kamelot right now

teo_guardian

#44 Post by teo_guardian » 05 Feb 2011 23:15

The Rider Of Rohan wrote: so can Khan
First thing that popped in my head while reading this :P

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/ ... 18818.html

spamel

#45 Post by spamel » 06 Feb 2011 01:32

Don't diss bad pronunciation...................................

............A slice of black chammmm-burrr anyone?
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

t.a.j.

#46 Post by t.a.j. » 06 Feb 2011 10:20

Fabio Leone is horrible. He is the one reason I cannot stand to listen to more than three minutes of Rhapsody (of Fire!).
Jeff Scott Soto would indeed by a fitting replacement for Roy Kahn. Also, further evidence that Christianity is bend on eradicating all truth and beauty from the world ;).
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Orodaran

#47 Post by Orodaran » 26 Feb 2011 00:33

http://www.kamelot.com/site/news/kamelo ... ican-tour/

North American tour by Kamelot, Lione still in, Khan (but this is no wonder by now) still out.

There's a message from himself, however:

“Hello All! I am here in Norway still recovering from what seems to have been a severe burnout syndrome. I am getting better but still under medical care. My priorities at the moment are my health & family. My future endeavors in Kamelot and music in general are being evaluated, however at this time my focus is on getting back on my feet and spending time with family and friends. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes!” - Roy Khan.

"My future endeavors in Kamelot and music in general are being evaluated" = "I already quit, start to get over it now 'cause when there will be the full announcement that -for religion or whatever reason- I don't give a damn about being a singer anymore, you won't be hurt THAT much".

I hope he gets back in the band however. Or, if at all, that if he leaves Youngblood won't pull an Iced Earth and brutally fire the new singer the moment Khan becomes avalaible again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Gandalf de Grijze

#48 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 26 Feb 2011 00:38

well, my first hope will definately be that they don't stick with Lione as singer, if Lione becomes the vocalist, Youngblood can brutally fire him at the second Khan becomes available again for all I care, hell, I'd even prefer Dani Filth as singer in Kamelot over Lione

Orodaran

#49 Post by Orodaran » 26 Feb 2011 00:43

Anything can happen but honestly, I see very, very, very unlikely that 1) Lione leaves Rhapsody for Kamelot or 2) Lione remains as a full time singer for both bands.

Lione is just a big known name to keep everyone interested in seeing the shows. Kinda, with given proportions, when Black Sabbath asked Rob Halford to replace Ozzy when he was sick at OzzFest '04 (ok, that was an eleventh hour replacement and JP was on the bill anyway, but I don't think they would have used a "random guy that can sing" to replace Ozzy).
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Orodaran

#50 Post by Orodaran » 17 Mar 2011 19:02

~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------