Trying out Sonata Arctica

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
spamel

Trying out Sonata Arctica

#1 Post by spamel » 15 Oct 2010 21:45

Well, you all keep banging on about them, and I've found out they are playing in Sheffield next year so I thought I'd give them a whirl. I've listened to two tracks as I type: Everything fades to Gray - Instrumental version and Tallullah. I think Tallulah is an awesome track, I really liked it. Any other tracks I should listen to first?
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Orodaran

Re: Trying out Sonata Arctica

#2 Post by Orodaran » 15 Oct 2010 22:14

Well, depends on what you like - Sonata Arctica started out as a (even better than the original) Stratovarius clone, and then changed bit by bit every album by turning into a very eclectic and "proggy" band at times. And by prog I don't mean Rush or Dream Theater, but it was just a cheap and lazy term to conjure up the crazy AND awesome weirdness that the later songs have.

So, if you're into happy fast power metal, go and check Silence which is their second album and one of the best power metal albums of all time - Talullah is on it, but check also Wolf & Raven, San Sebastian and The End of this Chapter... if you want to see where they were slowly going check more complex but still fast songs like Don't Say a Word or Misplaced, and if you want to see where they are at now, listen to the insanity and genius which are tracks like Deathaura, Caleb or It Won't Fade.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

spamel

#3 Post by spamel » 15 Oct 2010 22:16

Cool, cheers! Wolf and Raven is on now! It's very twiddly at the start!

Beren Ercharmion

#4 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 15 Oct 2010 23:03

spamel wrote:twiddly
That sums it up pretty well ;)

Other tracks to be recommended: FullMoon & Replica from the debut album, and The Cage & Victoria's Secret from Winterheart's Guild
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

spamel

#5 Post by spamel » 15 Oct 2010 23:12

Awesome, I'll keep listening! Honestly, I cannot believe I never heard them before, they are really good! I am defo gonna see them next year IN SHEFFIELD! Take note Bards - IN SHEFFIELD, NOT LONDON! :roll:

Palantyre

#6 Post by Palantyre » 15 Oct 2010 23:16

Their debut album Ecliptica still has this weird sort of naive charm to it. Silence I never really got into, but San Sebastian is indeed a great power metal track.

Apart from Ecliptica, I think Winterheart's Guild is my favourite album from them.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Daggor

#7 Post by Daggor » 16 Oct 2010 06:29

Orodaran wrote:Well, depends on what you like - Sonata Arctica started out as a (even better than the original) Stratovarius clone, and then changed bit by bit every album by turning into a very eclectic and "proggy" band at times. And by prog I don't mean Rush or Dream Theater, but it was just a cheap and lazy term to conjure up the crazy AND awesome weirdness that the later songs have.

So, if you're into happy fast power metal, go and check Silence which is their second album and one of the best power metal albums of all time - Talullah is on it, but check also Wolf & Raven, San Sebastian and The End of this Chapter... if you want to see where they were slowly going check more complex but still fast songs like Don't Say a Word or Misplaced, and if you want to see where they are at now, listen to the insanity and genius which are tracks like Deathaura, Caleb or It Won't Fade.
out out OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seriously.
no.

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Oct 2010 09:12

I side with Oro on this one. Ecliptica and Silence are the ones to go for. They have a certain naivety about them, but that's part of their charm. Other than that, they're excellent speed metal cd's.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

LeBard

#9 Post by LeBard » 16 Oct 2010 13:21

They are certainly the only power metal band who sing about stalking girls:

"While you are sleeping /
I steal your earring /
Light you one candle /
This anger I handle /
They said I won't find you /
But now I'm beside you"

That is some creepy lyrics. :?

Orodaran

#10 Post by Orodaran » 16 Oct 2010 13:24

Daggor wrote:
Orodaran wrote:Well, depends on what you like - Sonata Arctica started out as a (even better than the original) Stratovarius clone [...]
seriously.
no.
Well, I don't want to downplay the importance of Stratovarius' best albums such as Visions and Episode. But, the moment Sonata Arctica started out, it was the moment that Stratovarius started to suck, so in a sense when a power metal finnish band started to fail, another power metal finnish band was immediately ready to "take over".

Silence alone is better than anything post-Infinite combined for example.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

#11 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Oct 2010 14:01

Actually, both Ecliptica and Silence came out then Strato was at the peak of their popularity, namely during the Infinite-era. Strato even took them along on that tour, which was Strato's biggest one thus far. Tolkki started losing it artistically and mentally in 2003 with Elements 1, which came out almost half a decade after SA's first album. There must've been a suck-virus going on in Finland at the same time, because that was the same year Sonata released Winterheart's Guild.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Beren Ercharmion

#12 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 16 Oct 2010 14:06

Winterheart's Guild is a great album. I like it way better than Silence, for example.

I agree on Elemts though, that one was really bad.

spamel

#13 Post by spamel » 16 Oct 2010 14:53

I've heard enough, I'll be going to Constipation in Sheffield next year to watch them. Are they as good live? The studio stuff sounds great, but I remember watching Trivium live and liking them then listening to their studio stuff and not being so impressed. Funeral for a friend were the exact opposite; shit live but good studio albums!

Beren Ercharmion

#14 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 16 Oct 2010 15:05

they're a good live band IMHO, but usually they only play rather short sets (around 90 minutes).

Andreas

#15 Post by Andreas » 16 Oct 2010 15:06

Palantyre wrote:Their debut album Ecliptica still has this weird sort of naive charm to it. Silence I never really got into, but San Sebastian is indeed a great power metal track.

Apart from Ecliptica, I think Winterheart's Guild is my favourite album from them.
These are words of wisdom.

spamel

#16 Post by spamel » 16 Oct 2010 15:13

Beren Ercharmion wrote:they're a good live band IMHO, but usually they only play rather short sets (around 90 minutes).
Looking at their song lengths, most seem to be 3 to 6 minutes long, so I suppose they could pack a fair few songs into a 90 minute gig. Obviously, if they play some of the longer ones that'll reduce the number, but I reckon for 15 quid it isn't a bad deal.

The Rider Of Rohan

#17 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Oct 2010 15:18

They play about 15 songs live, so it seems pretty decent... Not really what you call short. They're still a new band, after all.

A typical setlist of theirs:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sonata-ar ... 75fe7.html
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Beren Ercharmion

#18 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 16 Oct 2010 15:21

Funny you like that setlist, Ferdi, since I was at the show in Question.

Sure - 15 songs isn't bad, but 90 minutes is still not that long, especially if Toni's talking rubbish all the time in between songs :D

edit: Plus, there's a keyboard/guitar-Solo in there as well, wich could be easily left out and replaced with a *real* song.
Last edited by Beren Ercharmion on 16 Oct 2010 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

spamel

#19 Post by spamel » 16 Oct 2010 15:25

Beren Ercharmion wrote:Funny you like that setlist, Ferdi, since I was at the show in Question.

Sure - 15 songs isn't bad, but 90 minutes is still not that long, especially if Toni's talking rubbish all the time in between songs :D
Bands always talk crap between songs! Hansi does it, as shown in the youtube clip in another thread the other day, and Bruce Dickinson proper waffles on! He makes me laugh though!

Orodaran

#20 Post by Orodaran » 16 Oct 2010 15:29

Every word that comes out of Bruce's mouth is an integral part of an Iron Maiden concert.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

spamel

#21 Post by spamel » 16 Oct 2010 15:35

Orodaran wrote:Every word that comes out of Bruce's mouth is an integral part of an Iron Maiden concert.
True, but it's still bollocks! God love him and all, and I love the TV stuff he does too, but he talks an incredible amount of bollocks!

Orodaran

#22 Post by Orodaran » 16 Oct 2010 15:50

Always better than "We came here by night and it was dark so it was a journey through the dark" kind of stuff :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

spamel

#23 Post by spamel » 16 Oct 2010 16:02

Orodaran wrote:Always better than "We came here by night and it was dark so it was a journey through the dark" kind of stuff :P
That is so funny! I remember Justin Hawkins asking the German crowd in Hamburg what the german was for mother fucker so he could sing it at the end of Get your hands off my woman. It was so surreal, and he still got it wrong! lol!

The Rider Of Rohan

#24 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Oct 2010 16:41

Beren Ercharmion wrote:Funny you like that setlist, Ferdi, since I was at the show in Question.
That's indeed funny, as I just picked a random recent show from the list. :)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Daggor

#25 Post by Daggor » 18 Oct 2010 05:20

Orodaran wrote:
Daggor wrote:
Orodaran wrote:Well, depends on what you like - Sonata Arctica started out as a (even better than the original) Stratovarius clone [...]
seriously.
no.
Well, I don't want to downplay the importance of Stratovarius' best albums such as Visions and Episode. But, the moment Sonata Arctica started out, it was the moment that Stratovarius started to suck, so in a sense when a power metal finnish band started to fail, another power metal finnish band was immediately ready to "take over".

Silence alone is better than anything post-Infinite combined for example.
Well Stratovarius' overall productivity really took a hit after 2002. They basically released a double album in 2003 (I know, two seperate releases, blah blah blah), a misguided self titled in 05, and then nothing until 09. I like Sonata Arctica, Jani Liimitainen is one of my favorite guitarists, but I'd say Elements Pt. I and Polaris are both superior releases to Silence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsrED-Z9kzE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkVz0JV ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6CQ_PQH ... re=related

It's always interesting to me though, that Infinite is always listed as the best stratovarius album on other power metal forums. The consensus in the strato fanbase, and in the stratovarius hatebase (And I agree) is that Episode is far and above their best album. But I've frequently seen Infinite cited as their premier work on both the Helloween board and here.

Orodaran

#26 Post by Orodaran » 18 Oct 2010 19:57

I think Infinite is somehow nice but is the beginning of the end really... Destiny is an amazing and very overrated album, dark and melanchonic, very pretty.... and I surely agree that Episode is an awesome album, but my personal preference goes to Visions, it's the one I like the most.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#27 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Oct 2010 21:07

On the contrary... Destiny is quite underrated. Not many people refer to it as a great power metal album, but it really is a groundbreaking cd.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#28 Post by Orodaran » 18 Oct 2010 21:14

Shame on me, but the typo should have been realizable.... of course I meant that Destiny is UNDERRATED!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

spamel

#29 Post by spamel » 18 Oct 2010 23:28

Well, I truly like SA! They play the sort of music I like, but I can listen to all sorts so that's not such a surprise! I like Rhapsody, but they are incredibly cheesy, SA aren't.

The Rider Of Rohan

#30 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 19 Oct 2010 06:25

Orodaran wrote:Shame on me, but the typo should have been realizable.... of course I meant that Destiny is UNDERRATED!
My faith in cosmic balance has been restored.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Daggor

#31 Post by Daggor » 21 Oct 2010 07:01

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Orodaran wrote:Shame on me, but the typo should have been realizable.... of course I meant that Destiny is UNDERRATED!
My faith in cosmic balance has been restored.
Honestly, Destiny is a bit inconsistent when compared with everything else Stratovarius did in the 90s. In the past few months I've even come to appreciate Twilight Time more than it (Not to say either album is bad, but for years I always ignored Twilight Time, and now I'm starting to realize it's one of the most unique metal albums I've ever heard).

Still. Episode remains, in my humble opinion, the best power metal album ever.

Back to Sonata though, one leg up they have on the power metal world is vocal melodies. Tony is a genius with him, the problem is that he relied on Jani to ignore his compositions and write his own guitar parts, thus giving the music the heavy edge. Once Jani got fired, the band kinda went limp, DoG was absolutely terrible whereas I thought Unia was very, very good.

Gather the Faithful was quite excellent as well.

Orodaran

#32 Post by Orodaran » 21 Oct 2010 19:44

Well, the difference of tastes - I think that Gather the Faithful is a bland, mediocre and generic power metal album, while The Days of Grays is awesome. Overall, as a whole album, I prefer Unia - but the very best songs (Deathaura and Juliet) are on DoG.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Desert_Storm

#33 Post by Desert_Storm » 21 Oct 2010 22:40

spamel wrote:I've heard enough, I'll be going to Constipation in Sheffield next year to watch them. Are they as good live? The studio stuff sounds great, but I remember watching Trivium live and liking them then listening to their studio stuff and not being so impressed. Funeral for a friend were the exact opposite; shit live but good studio albums!
They used to be great, but unfortunately they aren't so much anymore. Of course, it depends on what albums and what kinds of live performances you're into, but I remember the last time I saw them in a club (Unia tour) they already cut out a lot of the old songs and generally played slower stuff, the audience was lame (it was great in the same club one year before), a friend of mine even was rebuked for headbanging (!), and so on.
I saw them on metalcamp again this summer, with very high expectations, and I haven't been disappointed so much by one of my favourite bands since... well I lack a good example. They were supposed to play one hour and only did forty-five minutes, of which fifteen were just some jabbering by tony, combined with lalala games with the audience, telling some Shakespeare-ish story and yodeling. The songs they actually played were, to put it mildly, a very poor choice, e.g. they played stuff from the new album, which is really not much of live material songs, and left out songs like wolf/raven, Victoria's Secret (!), or The Cage (!!!), just to name a few. While some stuff is certainly matter of personal taste, the songs named above are probably for sonata arctica what The Bard's Song, Mirror Mirror and IFTOS are for BG.
I'm not saying they don't write good songs anymore, much of the Unia album was quite good (or even ingenious, listening to caleb), and even the new one has it's hidden gems - like this one, it's the single edit though, you might want to listen to the regular one as well. But they try stuff that IMHO doesn't fit them too well, and howsoever is certainly very different from what they did up to Reckoning Night. You might call it experimental, I myself would call it attempted prog. They wanted to get away from the stratovarius-like all the time high-tempo speed melodic metal with fast guitar solos (twiddly!), they said so many times, and I certainly can understand it, but I think with unia they tried to hard.
The best example for the new sonata is probably this one, a 2008 remake of their silence classic wolf/raven. They removed the tempo, the solos, and added heavy orchestration and weird vocals harmonies instead. Some people like it, I find it horrible.
Anyway, go see the show (I will probably check them out again in '11, too), and make sure to watch the great live dvd For The Sake Of Revenge, which reflects the "old" SA live show quite well.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Dragonfly

#34 Post by Dragonfly » 24 Oct 2010 19:23

I am starting to listen to Sonata Arctica. And now I can definately say that "Draw Me" is a song of divine beauty, and such songs as "Under Your Tree", "The Misery", "Mary Lou" and some others are really great. Tony Kakko is a very talented person.
Will go on listening to these guys :)
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

corrupted old gnom

#35 Post by corrupted old gnom » 24 Oct 2010 20:45

Desert_Storm wrote:The best example for the new sonata is probably this one, a 2008 remake of their silence classic wolf/raven. They removed the tempo, the solos, and added heavy orchestration and weird vocals harmonies instead. Some people like it, I find it horrible.
me too ;)
listened to that one for the first time
the intro is nice...but the "weird vocals", as you call it, are somewhat disturbing

about strato:
destiny is indeed a good album, but i can't really tell why i like it less than the other releases around that time
there's not just visions and episode, there's also twilight time, dreamspace and 4th dimension which a like a lot...AND the self titled album
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Guma

#36 Post by Guma » 24 Oct 2010 21:22

I tried, but, I can't like sonata.

Desert_Storm

#37 Post by Desert_Storm » 24 Oct 2010 23:25

corrupted old gnom wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote:The best example for the new sonata is probably this one, a 2008 remake of their silence classic wolf/raven. They removed the tempo, the solos, and added heavy orchestration and weird vocals harmonies instead. Some people like it, I find it horrible.
me too ;)
listened to that one for the first time
the intro is nice...but the "weird vocals", as you call it, are somewhat disturbing
In the first verse they are, in the second though, - ridiculous. I just listened to it again and started laughing out loud at the "you say I am invincible, I cannot die" part, where the backing vocals continue with cannot die - cannot die - cannot die (1:05) :lol:
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

corrupted old gnom

#38 Post by corrupted old gnom » 25 Oct 2010 23:33

Desert_Storm wrote:In the first verse they are, in the second though, - ridiculous. I just listened to it again and started laughing out loud at the "you say I am invincible, I cannot die" part, where the backing vocals continue with cannot die - cannot die - cannot die (1:05) :lol:
:mrgreen: ROLF, i didn't even notice those backing vocals the first time i listened to it
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

rdyfrde

#39 Post by rdyfrde » 27 Oct 2010 07:45

Orodaran wrote:Well, the difference of tastes - I think that Gather the Faithful is a bland, mediocre and generic power metal album, while The Days of Grays is awesome. Overall, as a whole album, I prefer Unia - but the very best songs (Deathaura and Juliet) are on DoG.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one to be bored with Gather the Faithful. It bored me to tears while The Days of Grays is brilliant 8)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

spamel

#40 Post by spamel » 19 Mar 2011 01:47

Oooooh, I'll be in Sheffield tomorrow to watch Sonata Arctica! :mrgreen: I'm gonna rock me cock off! :lol:

spamel

#41 Post by spamel » 20 Mar 2011 11:16

That was a pretty good night! I met the bass player from Labyrinth, who just wandered through the club. Nobody else recognised him, but my crowning moment was telling Kakko to stop talking, really loudly! That got a few laughs, but by god he kept on rambling utter crap for ages! A strange venue to watch a band in, but it was a great night and the german fellow selling merchandise was a good guy too, nice to chat a little deutsch for the first time in a long time.

Ms Spamel and myself are thinking of heading over to Manchester to catch them again! :mrgreen:

Baby_Kürsch

#42 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 23 Mar 2011 01:54

I just picked up Silence and after one listen I have to say they are super cheesy and the drumming is really mediocre on this album. But I wont give up on them yet.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Mackasfour

#43 Post by Mackasfour » 23 Mar 2011 10:54

Baby_Kürsch wrote:I just picked up Silence and after one listen I have to say they are super cheesy and the drumming is really mediocre on this album. But I wont give up on them yet.
2 words... Reckoning Night :D
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Feanor l'invincible

#44 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 26 Mar 2011 09:05

Mackasfour wrote:
Baby_Kürsch wrote:I just picked up Silence and after one listen I have to say they are super cheesy and the drumming is really mediocre on this album. But I wont give up on them yet.
I'm just surprised that anyone talked about it.

That's IMO their best album, I mean come on, there's "Don't Say a Word" on it..

Otherwise, the recent tracks in Unia and tDoG are unique, "Caleb" , "It Won't Fade" and "The Dead Skin" are incredible.
"Deathaura" is something like their "And Then There Was Silence" .. something unique!
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Daggor

#45 Post by Daggor » 26 Mar 2011 23:05

Feanor l'invincible wrote:
Mackasfour wrote:
I'm just surprised that anyone talked about it.

That's IMO their best album, I mean come on, there's "Don't Say a Word" on it..

Otherwise, the recent tracks in Unia and tDoG are unique, "Caleb" , "It Won't Fade" and "The Dead Skin" are incredible.
"Deathaura" is something like their "And Then There Was Silence" .. something unique!

There are moments in Deathaura that are awful. In the first 2 minutes or so, Kakko alternates between changing musical sections without a transition, and adding in transitions in the middle of parts that don't change. It's not until 2:30 in that the two hit straight. It just tries to hard to be an epic song without having anything to justify it's scope.
Orchestras are great when they underline the finest metal, Kakko tries to get along on only the background and his own overrated voice.

Listen to this, as far as the vocals and orchestration go, on par with Deathaura, but the music is still MELODIC. Appreciate it. So much better

Melloj

#46 Post by Melloj » 29 Mar 2011 04:12

Ecliptica is the way to go 8)
I see the world through the eyes of time

Samps
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Brisbane, Australia.

#47 Post by Samps » 21 May 2011 14:43

SA are one of my favourite bands, but I really only listen to anything pre-Unia. Neither Unia nor The Days of Grays caught my attention too much, but admittedly, I didn't try too hard with them.

Personally, my favourite album is Reckoning Night, but only by the slightest margin. I love all their albums equally, though with the afore mentioned exceptions. I just love how OTT some of these guys' songs are, in combination with the dynamics of the music and performance. "White Pearl, Black Oceans" is definitely high rotation for me.

Great music, great band, great guys.

Ligandil

#48 Post by Ligandil » 21 May 2011 21:30

I agree the two recent cds are not at the level of the typical SA, but of Unia you have Paid in Full and Caleb which are great, and of Days of Grays i would recommend Flag in the Ground and Juliet. IN the last tour they played too many songs of these cds unfortunately, since it was my first SA concert, i really missed Gravenimage, San Sebastian and Tallullah for example...

here is a video of Flag in the Ground, opening their concert in Barcelona (I took the video ;) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeLWy0n ... ideo_title

Samps
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Brisbane, Australia.

#49 Post by Samps » 22 May 2011 08:55

Funnily enough, the only songs I've really liked off Unia were Paid in Full, IIn Black and White and Caleb and the only one from The Days of Grays I liked was Flag in the Ground. :p

I'm not sure what it is about the rest of the songs...just didn't catch on quite as well.

When I saw them for Screamfest here in Australia and afterwards (saw them twice while working on their tour), they played alot of newer material too and unfortunately was hard to really appreciate them in a live atmosphere while not really knowing the songs.