New Kamelot video online.

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

New Kamelot video online.

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Sep 2010 20:35

It's a ballad. Not their worst, but no Sailorman's Hymn either. New album is leaked too. Jon Oliva is on the album somewhere too, so it might be worth listening to.

http://www.myspace.com/kamelot
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

jophelerks

Re: New Kamelot video online.

#2 Post by jophelerks » 02 Sep 2010 20:57

I'd say this is a big step down for them. And that's even considering the mediocrity that is Ghost Opera.

Orodaran

#3 Post by Orodaran » 02 Sep 2010 22:52

Out of curiosity I already checked out the album...... and I wish I wouldn't have done it.

Ok, I heard it only twice, but this is the worst Khan album to date. There's absolutely nothing memorable on this, and while the central songs are not bad and I recognized here and there some nice melodies and passages that with time I'll obviously come to like, the album as a whole is just bland, boring and totally un-memorable.

The first song is a poor rehash of Rule the World with some modern heaviness to remind of March of Mephisto, the second (like many others) I don't even remember how it goes, and as I said while the trio The Zodiac - Hunter's Season - House on a Hill is the most convincing sequence of songs on the album, they do not outshine not even ONE of their previous classics. The Zodiac is nice but Death is Just a Feeling from Avantasia is totally superior to it (since we're speaking of guest performances by Jon Oliva), and all the rest is quickly forgettable too. The title track suite isn't that bad, it sure deserves many more listenings, but once again, it pales to Elizabeth or even Memento Mori. The problem is not even with the total abandoning of the speed / power elements - it's just that the songs aren't good enough, they're just average, all of them. They turned to this somehow goth somehow modern somehow powerish somehow let's put some old hooks here and there to remind it's still us that goes NOWHERE.

The Final Frontier is a golden album in comparison to this. Of course I shouldn't be too harsh after just 2 listenings but it's so damn clear already now that they took the less convincing moments of Ghost Opera and carried on on that insipid, pointless route.

Up until Epica, each album was better than the previous - Starting with The Black Halo, each album was worse than the previous.

Biggest disappointment of the year so far. I only hope I'm totally blind to the greatness of this album but I doubt it... pity, the cover was so awesome that I was already looking forward to get the digipack and all (on the bonus disc there are the cover art images), but I think that the only cash I'll fork for this will be the 9.90 euros when in a year or two it will be offered for a heavy discount.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Led Guardian

#4 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Sep 2010 06:09

Orodaran wrote:Up until Epica, each album was better than the previous - Starting with The Black Halo, each album was worse than the previous.
Are you saying that they got worse after The Black Halo, or that it was the first one to be worse than the last? Because TBH is an excellent album, and definitely better than Epica, I would say.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Palantyre

#5 Post by Palantyre » 03 Sep 2010 07:35

Led Guardian wrote:
Orodaran wrote:Up until Epica, each album was better than the previous - Starting with The Black Halo, each album was worse than the previous.
Are you saying that they got worse after The Black Halo, or that it was the first one to be worse than the last? Because TBH is an excellent album, and definitely better than Epica, I would say.
I second this. While Epica is a decent album, it can't hold a candle to either 4th Legacy, Karma or The Black Halo.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

t.a.j.

#6 Post by t.a.j. » 03 Sep 2010 07:43

I think that Karma is their one and only really good album. Epica and The Black Halo were already boring, The 4th Legacy had some really nice songs but nothing more.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 03 Sep 2010 09:05

Led Guardian wrote:
Well, the two Ariel-saga albums are both good, I personally favor Epica but I don't think of The Black Halo as a "bad" album, not at all. But I meant that Ghost Opera is way inferior to The Black Halo, and this new album is even worse than Ghost Opera, which at least had some awesome songs (title track, Human Stain, Love you to Death, EdenEcho) amidst a random bunch of fillers.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Sep 2010 16:53

I think I side with Oro's initial post. It's an album that drags on and on and on without ever offering something interesting. The production-values are excellent, but the songwriting is especially poor even for Kamelot's standards.

I think it's too bad. Kamelot released one amazing album (Karma) and two really good ones (The Fourth Legacy and Epica) and every time they release an album I hope for another classic album, but they always disappoint. That's a shame because they're capable of a great album and are still a sympathetic bunch.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Rob The Wise

#9 Post by Rob The Wise » 03 Sep 2010 17:18

Haters, u can't except that Kamelot evolves too , just like BG, I've listened to the album nonstop the last 3 days, and it takes time, it is great and have peaks with hunters season and the beautiful duet House on a hill with simone simons, not to forget the 4 part song Poetry for the poisoned, which blows my mind.. but to sum this up, it doesnt mean that they are bad just because they dont follow their own pattern. Give this album a shot, it totally rules. Don't judge them too fast, and if you dont like it at all just dont listen to it at all, its not like anyone forces you to.

We were always alone, we were born in the hunters season <3

Orodaran

#10 Post by Orodaran » 03 Sep 2010 17:26

Orodaran wrote:The problem is not even with the total abandoning of the speed / power elements - it's just that the songs aren't good enough, they're just average, all of them.

And I also gave it the benefit of doubt saying how it was just a 2 listenings impression.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Rob The Wise

#11 Post by Rob The Wise » 03 Sep 2010 17:36

I find the only "average" songs to be Necropolis and The Zodiac due to its horrible repetition the last 2 mins of the song.. But even though they are average its a way higher standard then other metal bands these days, as we all know Khan is a perfectionist and I doubt he would be releasing an album if he didnt think it was great..

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Sep 2010 17:40

Rob The Wise wrote:Haters, u can't except that Kamelot evolves too , just like BG, I've listened to the album nonstop the last 3 days, and it takes time, it is great and have peaks with hunters season and the beautiful duet House on a hill with simone simons, not to forget the 4 part song Poetry for the poisoned, which blows my mind.. but to sum this up, it doesnt mean that they are bad just because they dont follow their own pattern. Give this album a shot, it totally rules. Don't judge them too fast, and if you dont like it at all just dont listen to it at all, its not like anyone forces you to.

We were always alone, we were born in the hunters season <3
You dun goofed. The problem with this album is not that it's slow or different, it's just that the quality of the songwriting is incredibly inconsistent with their previous efforts. A lot of songs seem like a number of previously scrapped ideas glued together by a poorly written bridge or verse. The result is a completely forgettable album that feels contrived at best, because the songs lack a focus and just go from a - z without actually going somewhere.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#13 Post by Orodaran » 03 Sep 2010 21:29

Something that occoured me now:
Rob The Wise wrote:Haters, u can't except that Kamelot evolves too
...then why you end up "humming"
Rob The Wise wrote:We were always alone, we were born in the hunters season <3
which is the most old-school Kamelot song of the record? :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Rob The Wise

#14 Post by Rob The Wise » 04 Sep 2010 16:10

Orodaran wrote:Something that occoured me now:
Rob The Wise wrote:Haters, u can't except that Kamelot evolves too
...then why you end up "humming"
Rob The Wise wrote:We were always alone, we were born in the hunters season <3
which is the most old-school Kamelot song of the record? :P
Lol, good point. Actually I dunno, just sorta fell in cuz it was the song that was in my wmp at the time that I wrote the message.. Would be rather wierd to listen to a song then write about a complete other song IF you decide to write something from a song :P

Instead of hunters season I this time will write a quote from The Great Pandemonium instead which I feel is kinda "new kamelot" considering it got these death metal vocs by björn strid and it sounds very proggish and not that power metalish to me:

"In my eyes we'd be sure it was always there, a blood red line through the sonisphere, I cant resolve where its coming from, I sense it's the great pandemonium"

Happy nao :D?

Orodaran

#15 Post by Orodaran » 04 Sep 2010 17:06

Yes... but not about the song :P it's a mix of Rule the World and March of Mephisto.... the chorus (which is actually all there is to the song, apart from the horrible mumbled gruntled verses) is nice, but all in all this song is such a letdown.

However at the third listening I spotted some serious potential in the Poetry for the Poisoned suite, let's hope I'll come to like at least half of this album 8)

BTW, Roy Khan fell ill and was replaced on the eleventh hour for the american tour! :shock:

http://www.kamelot.com/site/news/kamelo ... /#more-375
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Rob The Wise

#16 Post by Rob The Wise » 04 Sep 2010 19:37

Orodaran wrote:Yes... but not about the song :P it's a mix of Rule the World and March of Mephisto.... the chorus (which is actually all there is to the song, apart from the horrible mumbled gruntled verses) is nice, but all in all this song is such a letdown.

However at the third listening I spotted some serious potential in the Poetry for the Poisoned suite, let's hope I'll come to like at least half of this album 8)

BTW, Roy Khan fell ill and was replaced on the eleventh hour for the american tour! :shock:

http://www.kamelot.com/site/news/kamelo ... /#more-375

You'll eventually like the verses, it's some deep lyrics down there :P

And yeah, the album takes some time.. 8)

and w000t, I'm happy he was there during the european tour :o too bad for the americans, well atleast they get to have elize with them! Which is one of the best singers I know!

Dwarfare

#17 Post by Dwarfare » 04 Sep 2010 21:02

Eh, I'm just not feeling this album. I was enthusiastic despite the bad reception on this forum, but as I listened to it, it just kind of... faded into the background. Two or three songs went by before I realized that it was still playing, which I hate to say because I'm a fan of Kamelot. This album has just missed the mark in my mind. Nothing seems to stand out, and it's not because everything is so top notch, but because everything just seems mediocre. Not trying to bash the band, because as I said, I've loved most of their albums, but this just isn't up to my expectations of them in terms of songwriting. Two or three decent tracks, but after having given the album two full listens on Youtube, I can't recall a single melody. :(

Maybe as I keep listening to it, it'll grow on me a bit, but my initial impression isn't good at all.

Andreas

#18 Post by Andreas » 04 Sep 2010 23:06

Good I read this, I might have purchased it blindly. Now I will take some listens first.

corrupted old gnom

#19 Post by corrupted old gnom » 04 Sep 2010 23:46

listening to circus maximus 8)
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Andreas

#20 Post by Andreas » 04 Sep 2010 23:52

They're quite good IMO

corrupted old gnom

#21 Post by corrupted old gnom » 04 Sep 2010 23:54

not that bad, indeed...though i don't know if they keep on being interesting after e few songs (or spins)
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

The Rider Of Rohan

#22 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Sep 2010 03:44

Rob The Wise wrote:ol, good point. Actually I dunno, just sorta fell in cuz it was the song that was in my wmp at the time that I wrote the message.. Would be rather wierd to listen to a song then write about a complete other song IF you decide to write something from a song :P
Please don't write stuff likev 'cuz'. This is an Englis speaking forum, not a place for people who insist on butchering the English language. On top of that, it doesn'tt make your point come across particularly well.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Rob The Wise

#23 Post by Rob The Wise » 05 Sep 2010 11:21

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Rob The Wise wrote:ol, good point. Actually I dunno, just sorta fell in cuz it was the song that was in my wmp at the time that I wrote the message.. Would be rather wierd to listen to a song then write about a complete other song IF you decide to write something from a song :P
Please don't write stuff likev 'cuz'. This is an Englis speaking forum, not a place for people who insist on butchering the English language. On top of that, it doesn'tt make your point come across particularly well.
I'm sorry then, from now on I'll speak with my greatest english. No need to bash on me as if I can't speak regular english just because I wrote "cuz". I don't find it to butch the language just because you use "cuz" in ONE sentence, seems to me as you just wanted to put me in place OR just bash on me. Anyways, I wont use that sort of language anymore.

Joost

#24 Post by Joost » 05 Sep 2010 22:55

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
And really, there's no need for you to criticize other people on the usage of single words written with a nonstandard/slang spelling. And if I am allowed to be really nitpicky (which, as a mod, I obviously am), I would also like to point out that your post in fact contains more typos and mistakes than the post you criticized. I noticed your tendency to assume a mod-attitude on this forum, lately, and just let me point out that I do not, really, see any need for this.

Rob: By all means, go ahead and continue using words like 'cuz'. It annoys Ferdi without breaking any forum rules -- what more do you want?
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

The Rider Of Rohan

#25 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Sep 2010 11:39

I think my post was quite awesome considering the amount of alcohol consumed prior to it. And I think it's quite obvious that I have no mod-tools, my name is in the same color as everyone else's.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#26 Post by Andreas » 06 Sep 2010 15:41

I'll support you for being mod, if you promise to make my name blue. Just saying.

Palantyre

#27 Post by Palantyre » 06 Sep 2010 15:59

SPEAL ENGLISH!
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#28 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Sep 2010 16:13

:D
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Joost

#29 Post by Joost » 06 Sep 2010 22:25

Actually, given Ferdi's post, that should be

SPEAL ENGLIS
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

The Rider Of Rohan

#30 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 07 Sep 2010 11:06

Andreas wrote:I'll support you for being mod, if you promise to make my name blue. Just saying.
In fact I'll make it even better. I hereby grant you moderator rights for 3741 posts, and you will receive rights to moderate an additional item with every post you make. And your name will stay blue.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#31 Post by Andreas » 07 Sep 2010 14:25

3741 posts, with the latest two of mine = 3743 posts... we have a deal

Dwarfare

#32 Post by Dwarfare » 09 Sep 2010 01:49

Well, there are a few good songs in here, but they are few and far between in my opinion. Hunter's Season and Zodiac are fairly good, but a lot of others seem to... lack focus, and just go nowhere. It's like the whole song other than a brief 10 seconds is just one long, repetitive chorus which isn't even all that great, like If Tomorrow Comes and a couple others. They just tend to drone on without any major changes in the pacing or melody, repeating the same stuff vocally and musically and, as I said, get nowhere for it.

Orodaran

#33 Post by Orodaran » 18 Sep 2010 18:38

I partly take back my harsh comments of my early listenings - but only partially...

Yes, in the end there are some good songs - the suite Poetry for the Poisoned IS quite good, even though it could have been better (for example, the moment it was really starting to build up, it stops to have a dude speaking about what an incubus is, totally mood killer. But, as pointless as it was to separate it on the CD - just put the parts titles in the booklet!- the suite is great), and the chorus of The Great Pandemonium has grown on me, like If Tomorrow Came.... and I confirm that the Zodiac / Hunter's Season / House on a Hill streak is the most convincing part of the album.

But still, it's something that would be totally overshadowed should they record after this a totally killer album, and any of these songs would be considered the less good should they be on the other records. I was too harsh to judge it after few listenings, it does not suck........ but it's just a normal album with some good peaks, nothing above the average at all. Wouldn't totally care for it if I heard this record from an unknown band rather than from a band I like and follow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#34 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Sep 2010 19:42

I am listening to Karma right now and even after all these years, it is still amazing. Every song is great, the sound is amazing and the band is at the peak of it's creativity. I really hope they'll make something as great sometime in the future.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Rob The Wise

#35 Post by Rob The Wise » 23 Sep 2010 20:17

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I am listening to Karma right now and even after all these years, it is still amazing. Every song is great, the sound is amazing and the band is at the peak of it's creativity. I really hope they'll make something as great sometime in the future.

Karma is the only Kamelot album along with Black halo which in my opinion doesn't contain any bad song

Orodaran

#36 Post by Orodaran » 23 Sep 2010 20:44

I so agree, Karma definitively belongs to that list of album that you can go back listening to it any time, and each and every time enjoy it from beginning to end, no matter what.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Alija Vila

#37 Post by Alija Vila » 04 Nov 2010 18:00

I disagree with most of the posts (related to new album) here.. xD

Poetry for the Poisoned amazed me.
Songs have a great atmosphere and I feel really drawn into them.

First, I should note that I never hear Kamelot before... I imagined them to be Dragonforce or Rhapsody like. Good thing it's not like that. After this one I got The Black Halo... new one should be Epica or Karma, we'll see.

The first songI heard was The Great Pandemonium few weeks ago on a radio show, felt really surprised ("Oh, that's Kamelot!?"). I can't get enough of it... not sure why when chorus is pretty much all of the "good part" of the song. On first listen I fell in love with Hunter's Season and Once Upon A Time. It took me few listens to get the other songs, but they all stucked in my mind pretty fast. If Tomorrow Came came with a faster intro and everything, shaked me up, perfect for 2nd song; The Zodiac sounds quite creepy with theme, Oliva and everything; House on a Hill is great in both vocal and instrumental terms; My Train of Thoughts and Seal of Woven Years with its haunting choruses and verses; Necropolis and it's rhythm...
I wish Poetry for the Poisoned hasn't been scattered into 4 parts, but I can live with it.
9/10 for me..
There's absolutely nothing memorable on this, and while the central songs are not bad and I recognized here and there some nice melodies and passages that with time I'll obviously come to like, the album as a whole is just bland, boring and totally un-memorable.
Weird that on first listen I liked it more then The Black Halo (but that one is still growing..)

somnia

#38 Post by somnia » 05 Nov 2010 12:42

Andreas wrote:I'll support you for being mod, if you promise to make my name blue. Just saying.
Your name is blue. Try prosilver theme, hehe.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

Andreas

#39 Post by Andreas » 05 Nov 2010 18:41

What is this "prosilver theme" you speak of?

Anyway, I quite like the new album. My favourite song would be Once Upon A Time.

Alija Vila

#40 Post by Alija Vila » 05 Nov 2010 21:15

Andreas wrote:What is this "prosilver theme" you speak of?

Anyway, I quite like the new album. My favourite song would be Once Upon A Time.
Once Upon a Time... really love that one, even if it's a bit predictable.

I think you and I have quite similar taste when it comes to music... beside this one, reading your posts sometimes seems like reading my own thoughts. I even think we had similar "heavy metal development" with HammerFall and Sabaton (as I remember that used to be your avatar).

Rob The Wise

#41 Post by Rob The Wise » 11 Nov 2010 17:15

Alija Vila wrote:
Andreas wrote:What is this "prosilver theme" you speak of?

I think you and I have quite similar taste when it comes to music... beside this one, reading your posts sometimes seems like reading my own thoughts. I even think we had similar "heavy metal development" with HammerFall and Sabaton (as I remember that used to be your avatar).

Long time since I wrote in this thread, aanyways now the album has grwon a bit on me and my absolute favourites are "still" Hunters season and A house on a hill.. :mrgreen:

Though nowadays I don't listen much to anything at all except Avantasia. Them and Edguy are like 99% of the time in my music player. :mrgreen:

Andreas

#42 Post by Andreas » 12 Nov 2010 17:36

Alija Vila wrote:
Andreas wrote: Anyway, I quite like the new album. My favourite song would be Once Upon A Time.

Yeah that's right. I went to a HammerFall gig with Sabaton as support, and didn't really expect much of them. After the concert, I was banging my head against the wall for being too late to see the beginning of Sabaton.