New Sonata Arctica dvd

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Mackasfour

New Sonata Arctica dvd

#1 Post by Mackasfour » 23 Aug 2010 15:09

http://www.sonataarctica.info/site07/in ... 133&ntop=0

Probably old news for some, but yeah, thought I'd post it here for those who haven't. I for one, am jealous of those that are attending that, it would be a good concert indeed
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Dentarthurdent

Re: New Sonata Arctica dvd

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Aug 2010 15:30

Thx for the info, sounds interesting.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Baby_Kürsch

#3 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 23 Aug 2010 17:35

Isn't Sonata Arctica just a lesser Blind Guardian?? :wink:
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Dentarthurdent

#4 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Aug 2010 17:42

No, no they're not.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

Baby_Kürsch

#5 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 23 Aug 2010 17:46

Ive got a friend whos really into Sonata Arctica and I always ask him that. Honestly Ive only heard probably half of one of their songs. They are power metal right? In the a similar fashion of Blind Guardian? Thats the distinction I got from the what I've heard of their music and now that we are on the subject whats a good album of theirs?
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

The Rider Of Rohan

#6 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Aug 2010 17:51

Their first two albums are more like speed-metal. They were a clone of Stratovarius in those days, but quite good. Their albums after that are more like pure heavy metal.

Sonata is one of those bands who never released a bad album, so which one to get depends greatly on your taste in metal. My favourite ones are the first two, though. Both Ecliptica and Silence are classics to me.

They've released two greatest hits cd's, so if you are uncertain about where to start, I'd start with those.

Full disco: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_Arctica_discography
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Dentarthurdent

#7 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Aug 2010 18:02

Imho, Sonata Arctica play classic gay european Power metal, with the last two albums leaning towards progressive. Still, they're quite good.

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 Aug 2010 18:10

Deine mutti ist gay.

:P
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Dentarthurdent

#9 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Aug 2010 19:16

Keyboards and falsetto vocals are gay, that's a fact. I still like them, thogh :P

Orodaran

#10 Post by Orodaran » 23 Aug 2010 19:17

Well, they don't do that anymore, actually.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Envinyatar

#11 Post by Envinyatar » 23 Aug 2010 20:35

Orodaran wrote:Well, they don't do that anymore, actually.
Luckily :)
Can't say I "hate" the old stuff but haven't listened to it in years. The more progressive albums are quite ok, but not progressive enough for my taste.
Bubbles everywhere, raise your hands into the air, we're bubblers, bubblers of the world!
"Do you know what an aqueduct is?" - "It has something to do with water..." - "And...?" - "A duck?!"
"If I could speak the language of rabbits, they would be amazed, and I would be their king." -Raj
"The future is like a Japanese game show. You have no idea what's going on."
"Is space hot?" - "Of course it is, where else do you think we get pineapples from?"

Paha tipu!
Concert photography -> StageShots.net

Orodaran

#12 Post by Orodaran » 23 Aug 2010 23:00

They're crazy enough for my taste, however :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

rdyfrde

#13 Post by rdyfrde » 24 Aug 2010 02:35

Mackasfour wrote:Probably old news for some, but yeah, thought I'd post it here for those who haven't. I for one, am jealous of those that are attending that, it would be a good concert indeed
Then you'll be jealous of me. I'll be there :D

It's going to be awesome :mrgreen:
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Orodaran

#14 Post by Orodaran » 24 Aug 2010 18:37

If they'll play as they say at least 120 minutes, I may be tempted to go... I really liked their concert of one year ago, but it was 30 minutes to short, I want that half hour back :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

rdyfrde

#15 Post by rdyfrde » 24 Aug 2010 19:42

Orodaran wrote:If they'll play as they say at least 120 minutes, I may be tempted to go... I really liked their concert of one year ago, but it was 30 minutes to short, I want that half hour back :D
They will. There's no opening band so there's no reason to shortened it anymore.

Mackasfour

#16 Post by Mackasfour » 25 Aug 2010 09:08

I don't consider BG and Sonata to be remotely close in terms of music. I see Sonata Arctica as power, and BG as progressive. and yes Rdy, I'm very jealous >_<
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Gandalf de Grijze

#17 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Aug 2010 14:37

rdyfrde wrote:
Orodaran wrote:If they'll play as they say at least 120 minutes, I may be tempted to go... I really liked their concert of one year ago, but it was 30 minutes to short, I want that half hour back :D
They will. There's no opening band so there's no reason to shortened it anymore.
BG generally plays 120-130 minutes no matter if they have support acts ;)
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

rdyfrde

#18 Post by rdyfrde » 25 Aug 2010 22:32

Mackasfour wrote:I don't consider BG and Sonata to be remotely close in terms of music. I see Sonata Arctica as power, and BG as progressive.
Sonata isn't Power anymore. Not even remotely close. It's as Tony says, "Melodic Rock". They might have played it in the early days but it's not evident anymore (thank god).
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:BG generally plays 120-130 minutes no matter if they have support acts ;)
Good for them :roll:

Sonata usually plays 90 minutes in most cases. That's why they mentioned in the press release that it's 120 this time around. I assume to play a large section of songs and see what comes out :)

Led Guardian

#19 Post by Led Guardian » 26 Aug 2010 01:58

Mackasfour wrote:I don't consider BG and Sonata to be remotely close in terms of music. I see Sonata Arctica as power, and BG as progressive. and yes Rdy, I'm very jealous >_<
As I've said before, I would not consider BG prog metal. Having several riffs and melodies in one song does not make it "progressive" in the sense of genre definitions. They include a few prog-type elements, but not enough to make it prog metal. I'd say they're still best classified as power metal, although they are quite different from most power metal bands I've heard (such as earlier SA).
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Daggor

#20 Post by Daggor » 26 Aug 2010 08:24

Sonata Arctica started as a Strato-Clone with Ecliptica, on Silence they became a more credible strato-clone by adding Mikko Harkin (Who is an excellent keyboard player), as well as a small guest performances from TK at the end of "false news travels fast". The album incorporated darker melodies and lyrics. This continued on Winterheart's Guild. Mikko Harkin left, so the keyboard duties went back to Tony Kakko, with Jens Johansson recording keyboard solos (Again, even further strato-clone). By Reckoning Night, they had continued with darker melodies, darker lyrics, and more prominent vocal melodies. This was where they started to develop their own power metal sound. Dark, Melodic, very good. Unia was controversial, moved towards more progressive elements, but still maintained very good melodies, very good lyrics.

The Days of Gray was absolute shit though. Unremittingly awful. Tony Kakko, who I've always respected for writing really good music, completely forgot what the word "Melody" meant. Part of the problem is Elias Viljanen, who is nowhere near as good a guitarist as Jani Liimitainen. So when a memorable guitar riff DOES come around (Flag in the Ground), Elias can't make it hit home. He's uninteresting, and he has no bite to his guitar playing.

Meanwhile, Jani Liimitainen released a very good melodic power metal album with his new band, Cain's Offering. Which features Mikko Harkin on keyboards and Timo Kotipelto (singing in his much more natural middle register) on vocals.

Mackasfour

#21 Post by Mackasfour » 26 Aug 2010 11:44

rdyfrde wrote:
Mackasfour wrote:I don't consider BG and Sonata to be remotely close in terms of music. I see Sonata Arctica as power, and BG as progressive.
Sonata isn't Power anymore. Not even remotely close. It's as Tony says, "Melodic Rock". They might have played it in the early days but it's not evident anymore (thank god).
I prefer SA's earlier stuff. The Days of Grays for me was rather disappointing (As was stated their is a lack of the great melodies SA usually produces). I prefer to look at their earlier stuff and refer to them as Power Metal, though yeah, Tony doesn't like that :P.
Led Guardian wrote:
Mackasfour wrote:I don't consider BG and Sonata to be remotely close in terms of music. I see Sonata Arctica as power, and BG as progressive. and yes Rdy, I'm very jealous >_<
As I've said before, I would not consider BG prog metal. Having several riffs and melodies in one song does not make it "progressive" in the sense of genre definitions. They include a few prog-type elements, but not enough to make it prog metal. I'd say they're still best classified as power metal, although they are quite different from most power metal bands I've heard (such as earlier SA).
Depends which part of BG's career you look to. I see more prog elements in their recent albums, rather than thrash or power
Daggor wrote:Part of the problem is Elias Viljanen, who is nowhere near as good a guitarist as Jani Liimitainen. So when a memorable guitar riff DOES come around (Flag in the Ground), Elias can't make it hit home. He's uninteresting, and he has no bite to his guitar playing.
[/quote]
This I disagree with, I think Elias is more than capable of a replacement for Jani (Jani being one of my all time fav guitarists). I think people should give a replacement time BEFORE they start judging their capabilities, instead of calling them crap before they get a chance to even start. I think he will do great for the years of SA to come!

rdyfrde

#22 Post by rdyfrde » 26 Aug 2010 19:11

Mackasfour wrote:This I disagree with, I think Elias is more than capable of a replacement for Jani (Jani being one of my all time fav guitarists). I think people should give a replacement time BEFORE they start judging their capabilities, instead of calling them crap before they get a chance to even start. I think he will do great for the years of SA to come!
Not to mention, before you criticize Elias' playing you should know that he was just following along with Tony's parts. Even Tony was surprised by this because he expected Elias to ignore them as Jani had done in the past.

Just listen to Elias' solo albums. They're way better than the crap that is Cain's Offering.

Led Guardian

#23 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Aug 2010 00:21

Mackasfour wrote:
Led Guardian wrote:
Depends which part of BG's career you look to. I see more prog elements in their recent albums, rather than thrash or power
More, yes, but not enough to make them prog metal, imo.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Daggor

#24 Post by Daggor » 27 Aug 2010 00:34

rdyfrde wrote:
Mackasfour wrote:This I disagree with, I think Elias is more than capable of a replacement for Jani (Jani being one of my all time fav guitarists). I think people should give a replacement time BEFORE they start judging their capabilities, instead of calling them crap before they get a chance to even start. I think he will do great for the years of SA to come!
Not to mention, before you criticize Elias' playing you should know that he was just following along with Tony's parts. Even Tony was surprised by this because he expected Elias to ignore them as Jani had done in the past.

Just listen to Elias' solo albums. They're way better than the crap that is Cain's Offering.
>Cain's Offering
>Crap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u9REoTMOL4
What's that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of this song rocking the fuck out.

That's the problem with Elias, he just does what Tony says, and as far as guitar goes, that's not very interesting. Jani brought his own flair into the music and the band was far greater for it. I was rooting so hard for Jani to join Stratovarius after Tolkki left (But Matias Kupiainen has proved to be more than capable)

Mackasfour

#25 Post by Mackasfour » 27 Aug 2010 09:37

Cain's Offering is pretty decent, though it bores me now.

As for Elias, given his situation, his following of Tony's orders is quite reasonable. He just replaced a great guitarist for a band whose fame is ever rising and have some critical fans. I really wouldn't expect him to come in with a world of confidence to just make everything his way and blow everyones mind, I think it's perfectly reasonable he follows what Tony gives.

rdyfrde

#26 Post by rdyfrde » 27 Aug 2010 19:00

Daggor wrote: >Cain's Offering
>Crap
What's that? I couldn't hear you over the sound of this song rocking the fuck out.
It is crap. It sounds just like early Sonata. How original of Jani :roll:

Regrin

#27 Post by Regrin » 27 Aug 2010 20:35

Nahhh Sonata nowdays bores my ass big time!

So probalby I will not attend to their upcoming concert...Anyway they will be welcome to my ears again if they follow their Winterheart´s Guild line, but it seems they are not, so another "skip" band unfortunately :|

p.s.ahaha! I only play Sonata when I want to get laid :P :D Because my girlfriend doesn´t like metal she is into Coldplay and Oasis crap, so she finds Sonata from their lastest albums an OK band :lol:
Illuminati
You'll never take control
Your new world order
Will lead to none at all
We all stand before you as one
Heaven is for everyone
To be free from the dark

Daggor

#28 Post by Daggor » 27 Aug 2010 21:10

rdyfrde wrote:
>Crap
And Early Sonata is awesome, I'm failing to see the problem.

Mackasfour

#29 Post by Mackasfour » 28 Aug 2010 09:55

rdyfrde wrote:
>Crap
I do have to take the Jani Sonata over Elias Sonata sorry. But I am still waiting for Elias to show what he can do, I hope he is able to contribute to make some great albums to come. Since Days of Grays wasn't really my style of SA

rdyfrde

#30 Post by rdyfrde » 01 Sep 2010 21:01

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

09/01/2010 DVD Show in Milan to be postponed to February 27th, 2011

SONATA ARCTICA regret to inform their Italian fans that the announced show in Milan at the Alcatraz on September 30th, 2010 needs to be postponed.

Reason: while doing his daily exercise routine Elias Viljanen (guitar) broke his right hand. Due to this accident he will not be able to play guitar for the next 5 or 6 weeks.

The new date for the show will be now Sunday, February 27th, 2011 also at the Alcatraz. Of course all tickets for the show September 30th remain valid for the new date.

Sonata Arctica comment:
"It was pretty shocking to hear from Elias about his accident. We are really sorry we need to postpone the show to a later date and want to excuse for any inconveniences this might cause to our fans in Italy and to all fans who had made travel plans from around the world. We really hope to see you all again in February at the Alcatraz".

Orodaran

#31 Post by Orodaran » 01 Sep 2010 21:26

*Pats shoulder* I hope you don't lose money over this...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

rdyfrde

#32 Post by rdyfrde » 01 Sep 2010 22:46

Orodaran wrote:*Pats shoulder* I hope you don't lose money over this...
Nope, as I'm still going to Italy anyway. I'll just stay in Turin the whole time instead of staying in Milan for a few days :)

I just wish it wasn't rescheduled in the middle of Winter. It's going to be friggin' freezing waiting outside :(

Mackasfour

#33 Post by Mackasfour » 02 Sep 2010 02:36

Ouch, that surely does suck, I hope Elias recovers quickly

rdyfrde

#34 Post by rdyfrde » 13 Dec 2010 23:37

Of course.....

Dear Fans,

We're writing this in order to clear up some confusions about where, when and how we're going to film our next DVD. When the orginal DVD show in Milano was postponed when Elias broke his hand, we put off the preparations for the time being. Some days ago as we were starting to finish the preparation for the show, we realized that we've been mislead about some of the costs for doing the DVD shoot. Mainly we're talking about the pyrotechnics permits, which would have cost roughly 10 times more than anywhere else. This, along with some other unexpected expenses, came as a total surprise to the band. In order to make things work we had to pull the plug on the shoot in Milano and move it to Finland we're we can afford to do a proper DVD shoot. Our management jumped the gun here and told our webmaster to change the info on the website, without us knowing about it and without an explanation.

So, that's the situation we're in right now. We can not even by a longshot afford to do a proper DVD shoot in Milano and will do it in Oulu instead. By doing so we realize that we're letting down all our fans who were planning to come to the show. For that we apologize sincerely. We will play the show in Milano, with all the planned extra numbers, as well as a couple of extra tricks to make up for this mishap ....only the cameras won't be rolling this time. Rather than disappointing all our fans around the world who truly deserve a perfect live DVD we have to let down some of you. We are very sorry that things turned out this way.

Yours,

Sonata Arctica

Well, I have tickets to Milan so I'm still going to it. It sucks that my Elias Rules t-shirt won't be on the DVD :(

Orodaran

#35 Post by Orodaran » 13 Dec 2010 23:46

Maybe I will go as well - if, as they indeed said, will play anyway the extended show (hell, I still have to see the 30 minutes I missed from their gig of last year). Too bad that in Italy it seems that they have more strict laws about pyros - even Bruce Dickinson complained jokinly that "they wouldn't even allow them to set themselves on fire" (but they had some pyros anyway...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------