This is prolly as pop as a metalband can go

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

Re: This is prolly as pop as a metalband can go

#51 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Jul 2010 18:12

...Page. :mrgreen:

One thing I find most fascinating about Indica's album is the closing song Eerie Eden. It's a warm, melodic and slow song which clocks almost eight minutes. The basic song is just four minutes, though. After the final lyrics there's an outro which goes down, then up, then extends and finally yet slowly goes down again. What they do is take the same melody and basically reinvent that melody a number of times through different instruments and vocal styles.

Prolonging the final song just for the sake of it would sound ridiculous on any other band (not naming some group of fire) but for Indica it works brilliantly. It's highly reminiscent of the subtitles of great movies where the main theme is reprised before the titles end and the lights go out again.

Honestly. Sheer brilliance.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Palantyre

#52 Post by Palantyre » 14 Jul 2010 13:36

Damn, I have fallen in love with Indica a second time with this album. Quite a few of the songs were ones I never paid much attention to before, but the English versions have somehow made me discover them for real.
Children of Frost for example, I just can't get that damn chorus out of my head. :P Also, Lilja's Lament is way beautiful and sad. Poor girl. :(
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#53 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 Jul 2010 18:31

I know the feeling, this album is the musical equivalent ofcrack. There hasn't been a day in the last couple of weeks that I didn't listen to the album at least two times. I have really grown to like the Finnish stuff too. It's not as good as the English material, but is nice in a innocent kind of way.

And their singer Jonsu probably made her way to number 2 of my 'women I want to marry'-list. She's so cute that every time I see her on youtube she makes me want to reach out to the tv and put her in a dollhouse.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#54 Post by Metal Fan » 14 Jul 2010 20:15

You might like Xandria too.
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Palantyre

#55 Post by Palantyre » 15 Jul 2010 02:19

The Rider Of Rohan wrote: And their singer Jonsu probably made her way to number 2 of my 'women I want to marry'-list. She's so cute that every time I see her on youtube she makes me want to reach out to the tv and put her in a dollhouse.
I saw her first!
I want to make her a little nest in the corner of my room where I can hug her and pet her and where she can sleep and be safe. <3
Also, she sounds just as cute. Especially in the song As If. So delightfully impish.
Weeell, they have some decently fun songs, but they're not that special. An okay band.

Metal Fan

#56 Post by Metal Fan » 15 Jul 2010 03:45

Palantyre wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote: And their singer Jonsu probably made her way to number 2 of my 'women I want to marry'-list. She's so cute that every time I see her on youtube she makes me want to reach out to the tv and put her in a dollhouse.
I saw her first!
I want to make her a little nest in the corner of my room where I can hug her and pet her and where she can sleep and be safe. <3
Also, she sounds just as cute. Especially in the song As If. So delightfully impish.
Weeell, they have some decently fun songs, but they're not that special. An okay band.
aww! That's cute. Somehow I can see you doing that!

I like Ravenheart. She sounds so nice in that one
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Celuden Aerwyn

#57 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 15 Jul 2010 20:26

I don't really get the whole chick band thing. It's significantly more difficult to get together a band like this consisting of all women than it would be to just get a couple dudes and a couple girls. Is it because it's marketable?

I'm not really feeling it. It really sounds like a completely weaksauce version of Nightwish.

The Rider Of Rohan

#58 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Jul 2010 20:38

Palantyre wrote:
I saw her first!
Then I suggest you keep rooting for me to get my numer one woman. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Led Guardian

#59 Post by Led Guardian » 15 Jul 2010 23:13

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Palantyre wrote:
I saw her first!
Then I suggest you keep rooting for me to get my numer one woman. 8)
And who might that be?
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Metal Fan

#60 Post by Metal Fan » 15 Jul 2010 23:16

Jansu.

Andreas

#61 Post by Andreas » 15 Jul 2010 23:37

Princess Maxima, probably.

Anyway, I like the drummer. She's maybe not the best looking girl I've ever seen, but she sure knows how to handle sticks... she's mine!

Metal Fan

#62 Post by Metal Fan » 15 Jul 2010 23:41

Take your girls! I get Marcus!

Andreas

#63 Post by Andreas » 16 Jul 2010 00:38

You also might like a Dutchie with a sting in the tail

Palantyre

#64 Post by Palantyre » 16 Jul 2010 06:28

Celuden Aerwyn wrote:I don't really get the whole chick band thing. It's significantly more difficult to get together a band like this consisting of all women than it would be to just get a couple dudes and a couple girls. Is it because it's marketable?
It's not difficult at all if you go to a music school, as all the girls did (to my knowledge). Jonsu (who started composing music when she was six years old) and the bassist Heini have known eachother since childhood. Not that hard to find three more like-minded aspiring musician girls.
It really sounds like a completely weaksauce version of Nightwish.
Like hell it does. There are bound to be some similarities on the latest album (like the orchestrations on Islands of Light) and the previous one because Tuomas produced them, but if you seriously think this or this sounds much like Nightwish, your understanding of music leaves a lot to be desired.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying you're supposed to like the band, nothing can please everyone. It's just smarter to simply say "not to my tastes" than make up some bullshit reason about the band sounding like something they don't. :P

Metal Fan

#65 Post by Metal Fan » 16 Jul 2010 17:31

Where the hell do they get money to do all of these music videos???? They have about 20 and BG has about 4 and complain about how exspencive it is!!

The Rider Of Rohan

#66 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Jul 2010 17:56

Led Guardian wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Then I suggest you keep rooting for me to get my numer one woman. 8)
And who might that be?
Bridget Reagen, the actress who played Kahleen in Legend of the Seeker. The show recently got cancelled, so marriage is quite possibly the only option for me to keep seeing her right now.
It really sounds like a completely weaksauce version of Nightwish.
Like hell it does. There are bound to be some similarities on the latest album (like the orchestrations on Islands of Light) and the previous one because Tuomas produced them, but if you seriously think this or this sounds much like Nightwish, your understanding of music leaves a lot to be desired.
True, the music has very little to do with Nightwish - it's in fact closer to Abba mixed with Kate Bush with some classical//folk elements thrown in. The only thing that it has in common with Nightwish is the production of the last two albums, and the fact that they have a female singer. Saying that they're a weaksause version of Nightwiish is the same as saying that Rage is a pale immitation of Blind Guardian, because they both record with Charlie Bauernfeind and both have a male singer.
Where the hell do they get money to do all of these music videos???? They have about 20 and BG has about 4 and complain about how exspencive it is!!
They probably get the money from the recordlabel who loans them the money (and actually BG has 6 of them). And 20 isn't that much for a platinum-selling band. That's two per year.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Celuden Aerwyn

#67 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 30 Jul 2010 22:00

Palantyre wrote:Like hell it does. There are bound to be some similarities on the latest album (like the orchestrations on Islands of Light) and the previous one because Tuomas produced them, but if you seriously think this or this sounds much like Nightwish, your understanding of music leaves a lot to be desired.
I listened to two Indica songs, Islands of Light, and Straight and Arrow, and both of them sound EXTREMELY like modern Nightwish. I don't claim to be an expert on the band or anything, but after listening to those two and those two only, that's the feeling I get.

The Rider Of Rohan

#68 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 30 Jul 2010 22:44

Honestly I don't hear any resemblance at all. They're two completely different groups, different styles.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Hedge Wizard

#69 Post by Hedge Wizard » 31 Jul 2010 04:34

I like them. They have this Harry Potter sort of atmosphere about them, that's the best I can describe it :? .

ThePKH

#70 Post by ThePKH » 31 Jul 2010 05:08

BTW, when it comes to Finnish pop/rock music. There's one band that is so much above everything else:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7E3jsATXO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5euHRwKZADQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjKgxBG_Ys

I sort of feel that this would be done in English one day, however I have the same fear as I had with Indica. -Maybe it wouldn't work...
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

The Rider Of Rohan

#71 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Aug 2010 12:22

spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#72 Post by Andreas » 02 Aug 2010 12:36

Already read it. The reviewer is probably a bit too metal

Rob The Wise

#73 Post by Rob The Wise » 02 Aug 2010 20:39

Andreas wrote:Already read it. The reviewer is probably a bit too metal
I agree, but I guess there's always people who are too narrowminded and wont see outside the box and discover new bands which ain't metal but still as good as metal. Remember having a friend who just hated ToTo because he had heard "one bad song" with them. Tried to convince him that they are great but still to this date he hates toto for that one song. :(

Palantyre

#74 Post by Palantyre » 02 Aug 2010 21:15

Well I don't think the reviewer is being that narrowminded. The text is basically just saying "Well made, but not my thing", which is the more enlightened way of seeing it.

Andreas

#75 Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2010 01:25

But still, I think that "well made" should be awarded with more than 64/100.
Rob The Wise wrote:
Andreas wrote:Already read it. The reviewer is probably a bit too metal
I agree, but I guess there's always people who are too narrowminded and wont see outside the box and discover new bands which ain't metal but still as good as metal. Remember having a friend who just hated ToTo because he had heard "one bad song" with them. Tried to convince him that they are great but still to this date he hates toto for that one song. :(
Impossible.

The Rider Of Rohan

#76 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Sep 2010 13:16

New Indicas video online. They did one for Precious Dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxvlybJkbTI
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#77 Post by Palantyre » 05 Sep 2010 18:35

Cool video, although it suffers from what's apparently the trend nowadays; ADHD editing. It's like there's a law somewhere that the camera must never ever stay focused on any one thing for more than two seconds at a time. It's annoying as hell.

Also, the song isn't really one of their best, though still quite nice.
And of course, Jonsu is still ghadsfdgfjadfajgkh crazy cute.

The Rider Of Rohan

#78 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 05 Sep 2010 19:00

You are absolutely right about Jonsu. Cute as ever. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#79 Post by Andreas » 15 Sep 2010 17:55

Those chicks will be playing like 15 kilometers from my place. Gonna see them 8)

t.a.j.

#80 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Sep 2010 18:18

I would like to state the following with all the blind conviction I can muster:
There is no continuum between metal and pop. A metal band cannot be pop, neither can a pop band be metal. Though both metal and pop allow for degrees, that is a band be more or less metal or pop, a band cannot both be pop to any degree and metal to any degree. I call this the law of non-metal-contradiction.
This implies that if it is true that a band is pop in any way, degree or shape, it cannot, by the sheer omnipotence of pure metal logic, by metal. Likewise a band of which we say it is a metal band cannot be pop in any way.
If you should come upon a band that you would wish to describe as both metal and pop, it is most likely only pop, possibly only metal. Your perception of it being both is certainly a cognitive mal-function and you might want to consider seeing a brain surgeon.

Thank you for your attention, you may continue with you meaningless activities.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#81 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 Sep 2010 18:56

Andreas wrote:Those chicks will be playing like 15 kilometers from my place. Gonna see them 8)
Cool! Were?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#82 Post by Andreas » 15 Sep 2010 20:06

In Veenendaal:

http://www.escape-veenendaal.nl/cgi/age ... =Poppodium

Elexorien is their support act. Never heard their music.

The Rider Of Rohan

#83 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 Sep 2010 12:58

Too bad that it's in the middle of nowhere.

Elexorien is pretty okay, they do black metal with some folk, power metal riffs and female vox. And they're from my hometown. They'll surely be a lot more heavy than Indica.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#84 Post by Andreas » 01 Nov 2010 17:48

So the gig was last Saturday. First there was Elexorien, their performance was good and I liked them, even though I'm not into cookiemonster vocals. The crowd reception was a bit on the weak side. Only a few people were enthusiastic, but almost everybody clapped after every song. And they haven't done too bad, since they played two more songs after two times people requesting another one. Pity about those typical teenagers from Veenendaal, but I'll get to them later.

Indica was more well-received, naturally. It's typical for my bad luck that the two tallest guys were standing in front of me :evil: Anyway since it was the night before Halloween, they had some fake spider's webs and such, and the girls slightly dressed up. Jonsu had a hood with led lights at the edge, really nice. She had her own way of talking to the crowd, a bit girly and flirting. That brings me to those teenagers again... fucking assholes. They said something like "haha, funny", in this typical sarcastic way that is customary for that place. Reminded me alot of highschool, which I attended in the same place.

But back to Indica: they also played a nice cover of Kate Bush' Wuthering Heights. Perfect display of Jonsu's powerful voice, she did a terrific job! Their overall performance was top-notch by the way, really good. And after they got back on stage after the "we want more"-chanting, Jonsu had a stripe of lipstick over her face. She said something like: "why didn't you call us back earlier? Look what the girls did to me! I don't dare to go backstage alone anymore, who wants to stay with me?". Needless to say this led to some manly "YEEEAAAH!" growls.

I'm not used to making long posts like this, but I just thought you guys should have a bit of an idea what an Indica live show is like :) Next time I'll be there for sure!

Palantyre

#85 Post by Palantyre » 02 Nov 2010 04:20

Yeah, it was at a gig that I really got into Indica. I mainly went to that event to see Poets of the Fall, but Indica pretty much stole the limelight. They really are a good live band, Jonsu is so amazingly charming and adorable. I wish I could see them again sometime soon.

Kelvin Love

#86 Post by Kelvin Love » 28 Sep 2013 08:54

Andreas wrote:So the gig was last Saturday. First there was Elexorien, their performance was good and I liked them, even though I'm not into cookiemonster vocals. The crowd reception was a bit on the weak side. Only a few people were enthusiastic, but almost everybody clapped after every song. And they haven't done too bad, since they played two more songs after two times people requesting another one. Pity about those typical teenagers from Veenendaal, but I'll get to them later.

Indica was more well-received, naturally. It's typical for my bad luck that the two tallest guys were standing in front of me :evil: Anyway since it was the night before Halloween, they had some fake spider's webs and such, and the girls slightly dressed up. Jonsu had a hood with
led lights at the edge, really nice. She had her own way of talking to the crowd, a bit girly and flirting. That brings me to those teenagers again... fucking assholes. They said something like "haha, funny", in this typical sarcastic way that is customary for that place. Reminded me alot of highschool, which I attended in the same place.

But back to Indica: they also played a nice cover of Kate Bush' Wuthering Heights. Perfect display of Jonsu's powerful voice, she did a terrific job! Their overall performance was top-notch by the way, really good. And after they got back on stage after the "we want more"-chanting, Jonsu had a stripe of lipstick over her face. She said something like: "why didn't you call us back earlier? Look what the girls did to me! I don't dare to go backstage alone anymore, who wants to stay with me?". Needless to say this led to some manly "YEEEAAAH!" growls.

I'm not used to making long posts like this, but I just thought you guys should have a bit of an idea what an Indica live show is like :) Next time I'll be there for sure!
It was nice performance.. I was there? We need to appreciate each performance with enthusiasm

MythsOfMetal

#87 Post by MythsOfMetal » 06 Mar 2014 04:55

Speaking of pop with metal, this is pretty awful. Or at the very least odd beyond comprehension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Twister

#88 Post by Twister » 06 Mar 2014 19:21

You gotta understand it, though. Japanese.
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

Rokubota

#89 Post by Rokubota » 05 May 2014 02:19

MythsOfMetal wrote:Speaking of pop with metal, this is pretty awful. Or at the very least odd beyond comprehension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

What's so awful about it?

I like them a lot. It's like a kick in the balls for the metalhead who takes metal too seriously.

Actually, idol music in general is the mainstream answer to the snobbism in the underground scene. Babymetal started like a joke but got really popular and their debut was very successful in a lot of countries. And please stop with the Japanese are weird and bullshit because is getting old and make you look like a real fool.

It's amazing how many people still believes western propaganda against Asian countries and they're not even aware that it's propaganda. A lot of the news about Japan are pretty much tabloid kind of news that nobody with a brain would take seriously, There's not REAL news about Japan in western media XD.

MythsOfMetal

#90 Post by MythsOfMetal » 09 May 2014 23:21

Rokubota wrote:
MythsOfMetal wrote:Speaking of pop with metal, this is pretty awful. Or at the very least odd beyond comprehension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

What's so awful about it?

I like them a lot. It's like a kick in the balls for the metalhead who takes metal too seriously.

Actually, idol music in general is the mainstream answer to the snobbism in the underground scene. Babymetal started like a joke but got really popular and their debut was very successful in a lot of countries. And please stop with the Japanese are weird and bullshit because is getting old and make you look like a real fool.

It's amazing how many people still believes western propaganda against Asian countries and they're not even aware that it's propaganda. A lot of the news about Japan are pretty much tabloid kind of news that nobody with a brain would take seriously, There's not REAL news about Japan in western media XD.

Sigh...

My favourite band is Japanese FYI, they cover a wide range of genres in their music, and could definitely be considered odd. I have no issue with them.

I was kind of joking with the "pretty awful" part, and was really just exaggerating my dislike for Babymetal. I may take the music I like seriously, but I'm in no way an elitist, and am fine with Babymetal continuing their careers. It's not like I consider them the bane of Metal or anything. I was just expressing an opinion I had on them. Also, I know things can be misconstrued over the internet, so I can understand why you may have thought I was really worked up and angry over Babymetal, but I'm telling you now, I really don't care that they exist, I was just putting my opinion out there and waiting to see what other people thought of Babymetal and my opinion.

The reason I dislike them is that I just find that Babymetal's Metal component basically seems way too watered down, dull, boring and bland for my taste. The Pop parts are actually somewhat better than a lot of other Pop I've heard, though I've never thought too highly of any modern Pop in the first place. Babymetal is mildly enjoyable, but not too much of a satisfying experience for me.