This is prolly as pop as a metalband can go

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

This is prolly as pop as a metalband can go

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 15:36

Still, interesting song. Gonna check out their album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTq6UmhS80

Interesting fact is that it was Nuclear Blast who released their cd. You have got to admire them for that.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

Re: This is prolly as pop as a metalband can go

#2 Post by Metal Fan » 26 Jun 2010 17:38

INIDCA! I was even thinking as I was letting it load "wouldn't it be funny if this was Indica!" at least they did a video in Islands of Light. Weird video though. Listen to Straight and Arrow. That's about as metal as they can get.
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

blind-man

#3 Post by blind-man » 26 Jun 2010 18:57

That was quite interesting. And the chicks are pretty hot too! :D
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 19:07

True, that song is their most metal one, although that's quite relative. I listened to their album A Way Away three times today, and it's quite something. Honestly, there's some truly great songwriting in here.

What I find most amazing is that this band is presented as a metal band in every possible way, but the music has so very little to do with it. The video, the image, the recordlabel, the producer (Tuomas from Nightwish), the fact that they toured with Nightwish.. All of it, except for the actual songs.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Metal Fan

#5 Post by Metal Fan » 26 Jun 2010 19:22

I'm going to get A Way Away before I get BGs new album so I listen to AWA until I'm bored then I have BG

edit: it comes out July 6...
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

The Rider Of Rohan

#6 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 19:54

Somehow I don't think this album will ever bore me. There's just so much good stuff in it.

np: Indica - Precious Dark
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Metal Fan

#7 Post by Metal Fan » 26 Jun 2010 21:22

Where did you buy it at? Europe?

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 21:57

I could post the link where I got it at, but Nuclear Blast tends not to like that kind of thing in a place like this. :wink:
spamel wrote:
Periods.

End Of An Era

#9 Post by End Of An Era » 26 Jun 2010 23:05

don't like it.. :?

The Rider Of Rohan

#10 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 08:55

Have you tried it with the sound off? It's how I enjoy Epica. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

ThePKH

#11 Post by ThePKH » 27 Jun 2010 12:00

Meh, I will go with the original Finnish version. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2AIqEbX74
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 13:19

Thing is... I don't understand a single word of it. :p

I read on wiki that the band has been around for almost 10 years and released 4 albums in Finnish. I'm wondering... How successful were those albums in Finland?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

ThePKH

#13 Post by ThePKH » 27 Jun 2010 13:39

Gold and platinum -successful. They're quite well-known in here.
I was a bit weirded out when I heard of the plans for international career, but I see it works out fine. Though I still think the finnish versions are generally better, but it may be just me. I guess someone hearing them for the first time has no burden of the past.

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 14:08

As an outsider, I don't think the move is that strange. When you're singing in Finnish you limit your audience to 3 million people - of which half of them are drunk anyways. ;) Rerecording their best songs in English was a smart move.

Shakira did the same thing. Purists insist her Spanish songs are much better, but I doubt her bank-account cares.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

t.a.j.

#15 Post by t.a.j. » 27 Jun 2010 14:25

That is not a metal band, since metal bands play metal. This, alas, is not.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#16 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 15:33

So how about Van Canto and Apocalyptica?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#17 Post by Orodaran » 27 Jun 2010 15:36

I saw the ad of their album in the subway wagon the other day.... which is unlikely, given the underground status of heavy metal (and anything that comes close to it) in Italy, as finding a middle aged person that knows by heart the lyrics to The Curse of Feanor.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Ornendil

#18 Post by Ornendil » 27 Jun 2010 16:04

I preferred the musicianship and arrangements in the english version, but the finnish version's lyrics sound much better (and the video was hotter).

Strangely, I had to hear the original to appreciate the new one. I checked it out twice and didn't fall for it, but after hearing the original, it grew considerably.
If you have facts, bang the facts, if you have witnesses, bang the witnesses, if you have neither, bang the table.

The Rider Of Rohan

#19 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 16:26

I'm wondering... Coming from Norway, are you able to understand Finnish lyrics?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

ThePKH

#20 Post by ThePKH » 27 Jun 2010 17:04

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:As an outsider, I don't think the move is that strange. When you're singing in Finnish you limit your audience to 3 million people - of which half of them are drunk anyways. ;) Rerecording their best songs in English was a smart move.
Well, the english adaptions are decent, so I can understand the move. I may however have seen too many perfectly decent Finnish bands going from Finnish to English and lose quite alot in the process.
And the population of Finland is 5 million. :P
Shakira did the same thing. Purists insist her Spanish songs are much better, but I doubt her bank-account cares.
I bet the purists don't care about the bank-account either.
I don't think I'm a purist as I do think Indica's english material is quite good for what it's worth and as Ornendil said the musicianship has improved a notch. However, the lyrics in Finnish fit the mood of the songs slightly better and the videos aren't as cliched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpSR3lIGOIQ
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpSMhID ... re=related

The Rider Of Rohan

#21 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 17:56

And the population of Finland is 5 million. :P
No it isn't, you guys were just too drunk to count. :P :P

But seriously, I might give their Finnish stuff a look too. You are definetely right about the video's, though I do find the music harder to relate to because I don't understand the lyrics.

NP Indica - Precious Dark
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#22 Post by Palantyre » 27 Jun 2010 18:11

I saw Indica live once, and I must say Jonsu (the singer) is just the most adorable thing I've ever seen. She just seems so natural and sweet and innocent somehow. (though not that innocent that I wouldn't totally do her if I could.)

Up until I saw them live I just thought they were an okay pop-rock band with a few nice songs, but after the gig I really got into them more and realized how good they actually are, both music- and lyrics-wise.

I'm still not quite sure what to think about this switching to English-move, but I admit that after a few listens I am warming up for the new versions. It's probably just a matter of being so accustomed to the certain atmosphere in the original ones. Burden of the past, like PKH said. Still have to get to grips with the English lyrics, though.

I was a little worried about how the new version of my favourite song from them would sound, but it's actually really good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWs2pr0Twzk
vs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHrUjDpdto

The original naturally has a more natural and "open" sound, but I haven't any actual complaints about the new production either.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Ornendil

#23 Post by Ornendil » 27 Jun 2010 18:46

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I'm wondering... Coming from Norway, are you able to understand Finnish lyrics?
Not as they are sung. I need to see them written and have my dictionary with me. But I'm quite used to working like that, as I often find myself listening to music in foreign languages (I think most people who do this aren't all that interested in lyrics, but to me they're often more important than the music).
If you have facts, bang the facts, if you have witnesses, bang the witnesses, if you have neither, bang the table.

The Rider Of Rohan

#24 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 19:06

My favorite song so far:

Precious Dark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbudS0oXxM
Pidä Kädestä - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqJsYGTCeQ
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Metal Fan

#25 Post by Metal Fan » 28 Jun 2010 01:01

I hate Twilight.

Btw you spelled probably wrong.

Led Guardian

#26 Post by Led Guardian » 28 Jun 2010 06:53

Orodaran wrote:I saw the ad of their album in the subway wagon the other day.... which is unlikely, given the underground status of heavy metal (and anything that comes close to it) in Italy, as finding a middle aged person that knows by heart the lyrics to The Curse of Feanor.
Give me a couple of decades and I can manage the last for you. :)
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

t.a.j.

#27 Post by t.a.j. » 28 Jun 2010 07:45

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:So how about Van Canto and Apocalyptica?
I think Stratovarius and those that followed them can be called "as pop as a metal band can go" while still being a metal band.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Gandalf de Grijze

#28 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Jun 2010 08:01

Orodaran wrote:I saw the ad of their album in the subway wagon the other day.... which is unlikely, given the underground status of heavy metal (and anything that comes close to it) in Italy, as finding a middle aged person that knows by heart the lyrics to The Curse of Feanor.
don't "subway" and "underground" almost always go together no matter what?
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Andreas

#29 Post by Andreas » 28 Jun 2010 08:52

^that what I was about to say. It's not that weird to find metal advertisements in the underground.

BRi7X

#30 Post by BRi7X » 28 Jun 2010 18:46

Okay so, Indica's awesome. Gorgeous gals (Jonsu's piercings are amazing!) and beautiful music, what more could a boy want?

I'd be rather secure with Indica and Van Canto opening up for Guardian on the North American Tour.
-Byronius Zedricks Septdicius Ativos, of Aldania, the blessed realm.

Facebook ; Last.fm

Metal Fan

#31 Post by Metal Fan » 28 Jun 2010 21:28

BRi7X wrote:Okay so, Indica's awesome. Gorgeous gals (Jonsu's piercings are amazing!) and beautiful music, what more could a boy want?

I'd be rather secure with Indica and Van Canto opening up for Guardian on the North American Tour.
+1 though what piercing?

The Rider Of Rohan

#32 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 28 Jun 2010 22:12

I'm listening to their Finnish albums now. I have to admit it's nice experience. Although I am not able to understand the quite important lyrics, the most essential thing about them, namely the melodies, still stand. I still prefer the English versions because I can understand what they are about and the production is more spectacular, but I can easily understand why this stuff went platinum.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

BRi7X

#33 Post by BRi7X » 28 Jun 2010 23:15

Metal Fan wrote:+1 though what piercing?
Go on their website and go to biography, then click on Jonsu.... or watch the Islands of Light music video and wait for Jonsu to close her eyes.

( My only disappointment is that there is no HD version of this video :(, damn nuclear blast! (they better release the next BG video in at least 720p!) )

Facebook ; Last.fm

Cerbere

#34 Post by Cerbere » 29 Jun 2010 06:24

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Have you tried it with the sound off? It's how I enjoy Epica. 8)
Good idea

ericdeko411

#35 Post by ericdeko411 » 29 Jun 2010 07:54

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Still, interesting song. Gonna check out their album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTq6UmhS80

Interesting fact is that it was Nuclear Blast who released their cd. You have got to admire them for that.

Cant play. Link not working....

Metal Fan

#36 Post by Metal Fan » 29 Jun 2010 08:31

Works fine Oo

The Rider Of Rohan

#37 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Jun 2010 18:02

Works fine here too. Perhaps your computer is broken?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Palantyre

#38 Post by Palantyre » 29 Jun 2010 19:36

About the "metal band" thing... I think it would be more fitting in this case to say that this is the most metal a pop band can go.

Just a random thought.

BRi7X

#39 Post by BRi7X » 30 Jun 2010 08:47

Voice in the Dark and Straight and Arrow are officially my top two songs of the past few days.
This thread's officially hooked me on Indica :mrgreen: . Will it just be a phase, or more everlasting like my obsession with Anneke-era theGathering?

by the way... Straight and Arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyw9X4h7jcY&hd=1
(English version of "Pahinta tänään"... Finnish is quite a strange language. I hate being a unilingual American :( )

Facebook ; Last.fm

Andreas

#40 Post by Andreas » 30 Jun 2010 10:35

ericdeko411 wrote: Cant play. Link not working....
Yes it does, what is that link of yours in your sig by the way? And you must be the first business consultant on this forum who's not a spambot.

The Rider Of Rohan

#41 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 30 Jun 2010 18:04

I thought he was a spambot too, but he has a post history: http://www.blind-guardian.com/forum/sea ... 0&sr=posts

@ BRi7X: great you like the band. 8)

Listening to them again... It must be the 20th time since I discovered them last weekend. Definitely THE band of my Summer so far.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

BRi7X

#42 Post by BRi7X » 30 Jun 2010 19:20

+2

I'm going to marry Heini. We're going to have three kids and live in South Korea.

Facebook ; Last.fm

Andreas

#43 Post by Andreas » 30 Jun 2010 19:56

I'm gonna take some extra listens to this band. The video in the first post was quite nice, but all this enthusiasm made me more curious.
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:I thought he was a spambot too, but he has a post history: http://www.blind-guardian.com/forum/sea ... 0&sr=posts
Still possible. Not every spambot gets kicked within a week. It/he still has to prove it/himself, because the posts were almost complete no-brainers.

The Rider Of Rohan

#44 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 30 Jun 2010 21:06

Well, I certainly start to see your point. And in that case he's one of the most sophisticated spambots I have seen so far.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Lord Borbak

#45 Post by Lord Borbak » 01 Jul 2010 00:43

Palantyre wrote:About the "metal band" thing... I think it would be more fitting in this case to say that this is the most metal a pop band can go.

Just a random thought.

This.
Proudly, without God, I conquer!

Joost

#46 Post by Joost » 01 Jul 2010 00:45

Seems a lot of people here forgot the necessary negative adjectives to describe this band. :o

Seriously, this doesn't just sound like pop to me, but like particularly lousy pop.

If I had to name a band doing a good take on a rather poppy brand of (in this case) hard rock, it would be Sha-Boom. They sound like a mixture between Europe and Roxette, and were just excellent at the type of thing they're doing. (The song Desperado is even better, bringing together the best of 80s pop and the best of 80s hard rock in a quite convincing way, but I can't seem to find it on Youtube)

P.S. In fact, I'm a spambot, too. Anyone wanna buy some Viagra from me?
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Palantyre

#47 Post by Palantyre » 01 Jul 2010 13:54

Joost wrote: Seriously, this doesn't just sound like pop to me, but like particularly lousy pop.
I bet you're just saying that because so many people like the band already, so you can appear elitist and eyebrow. (sic)

Andreas

#48 Post by Andreas » 01 Jul 2010 14:40

Joost wrote: P.S. In fact, I'm a spambot, too. Anyone wanna buy some Viagra from me?
Only if you buy my *uggs*

The Rider Of Rohan

#49 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Jul 2010 20:08

First review I read, and I completely agree.
Occasionally an album will just click, hit some secret spot that lights up the brain in a buzz of excitement and discovery. Add to that the cynicism with which I approached the new album from Finland's Indica, and this heady cocktail has left me high as a kite upon each spin of A Way Away. The initial scepticism was borne upon finding a band entirely of women and labelled as 'pop'. Some crass marketing exercise? Then came the revelation that Nightwish's Tuomas Holopainen has occupied the producer’s chair. So a Nightwish parody then? But this is certainly no money-grabbing venture, and whilst the hand of Mr Holopainen is evident on tracks like 'Islands Of Light' and 'Scissor, Paper, Rock', the comparisons end there.

A Way Away is full of pop-rock gems, lush arrangements coupled with a knack for writing a killer melody rarely seen since ABBA. Ranging from the morose, serene passing of the title track with its wistful lyrics and floating piano, through to the boisterous, uplifting 'Precious Dark' marrying rollicking guitars and fairytale stories, this is an album of shifting, flowing moods and emotions that grabs you along for a joyous ride.

Highlight 'Straight And Arrow' is a massive slice of skittering rock with machine-gun vocals filling the frequency spectrum over the heavy guitars; and the experimental 'As If' evokes Kate Bush at her best, the playful nature drawing from classical, electronica and metal in four devastating minutes. There is a childish magic at work here, at times flirting with what may termed “cheesy” such as with ‘In Passing’ – something dark is telling me I shouldn’t like this, but to hell with that, I’m enjoying it!
http://www.themusicfix.co.uk/content/re ... ndica.html
spamel wrote:
Periods.

The Rider Of Rohan

#50 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 06 Jul 2010 18:05

One more and it's a....
spamel wrote:
Periods.