epica -classical conspiracy

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

epica -classical conspiracy

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 17 May 2009 20:01

Well, this live-album is pretty awesome. The metalversion of the Pirates-themesong alone makes it worthwhile.

Now if they'd only release a dvd version.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Spectrum

#2 Post by Spectrum » 19 May 2009 12:12

Your post made me download and listen to this album. And it's good. I otherwise don't like Epica, but maybe I should.
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

Sarah

#3 Post by Sarah » 22 May 2009 08:10

They covered the Pirates song ?

Maybe i'll give it a try, but Epica really doesn't do it for me anymore, too bad :?
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Palantyre

#4 Post by Palantyre » 22 May 2009 18:13

Sarah wrote:They covered the Pirates song ?

Maybe i'll give it a try, but Epica really doesn't do it for me anymore, too bad :?
Just a medley of the score. Would've been cool if they did the "Hoist the Colours" song, but oh well. The medley is cool too.
Oh, and their Imperial March cover is awesome.

Epica has never really done it for me, so I don't think I'll be listening to the whole thing... but those two tracks are good at least. :p
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#5 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 23 May 2009 00:22

Actually I'm pretty sure it isn't a medley, as the song appearesd on the OST of the movie exactly the same way Epica recorded it.

The Imperial March was pretty cool the first time I heard it, but I actually found it to be the most uninspired song on the first dosc after a couple of tries. There's nothing wrong with it, but the original is still better and the other songs are waaaaaaay more interesting.

Obviously it''s still not as boring as all of those songs Mark writes about his strange thoughts about religion, but still. :roll:
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Dreamflight

#6 Post by Dreamflight » 23 May 2009 14:54

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Actually I'm pretty sure it isn't a medley, as the song appearesd on the OST of the movie exactly the same way Epica recorded it.

The Imperial March was pretty cool the first time I heard it, but I actually found it to be the most uninspired song on the first dosc after a couple of tries. There's nothing wrong with it, but the original is still better and the other songs are waaaaaaay more interesting.
Agree.

But the whole album is a great experience. The covers of Vivaldi, Dvorjak and the pirates song kick a lot of ass.
End Of An Era about bullfights wrote:like my mother used to say: "quit playing with your food!"

Palantyre

#7 Post by Palantyre » 24 May 2009 19:44

Well, it says "Pirates of the Caribbian Medley" right there on their website's discography section... *shrug* oh well.

And I can't see what's any more uninspired about the Imperial March than the PotC piece... I think they did a fantastic job fitting the drums into it. Apart from the double bass part in the beginning, it kinda sounds like they always belonged there.
Of course, it's all that pesky "matter of opinion" thing.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Orodaran

#8 Post by Orodaran » 28 May 2009 22:17

Anyway, in the medley they should've put the best theme of the soundtrack - Davy Jones' one.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px