was power metal more fun ten years ago?

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
The Rider Of Rohan

was power metal more fun ten years ago?

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 13 Apr 2009 12:54

I was thinking of this while I was cleaning my house whilst listening to the first Iron Savior-album. Is it just me, or was power metal more interesting about ten years ago? You know, around '97-'02 when Hammerfall and Rhapsody had just rejuvinated the genre.

Back then it seemed like you had a new great bandnew every month... Dragonheart, Sonata Arctica, Elvenking, Freedom Call, Edguy, D&W, Falconer... And when there were a load of great albums from bands which had been around for a longer period of time... Virgin Steele, Iced Earth, BG, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Maiden etcetera.

Somehow I find it hard to find new albums of the same magnitude as some of the cd's put out by the mentioned bands.

Meh. I'm getting old.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Wicked Child

#2 Post by Wicked Child » 13 Apr 2009 17:41

The decadence of power metal IMO is exactly this period of time you mentioned.
I would change what you said to: Back then it seemed like you had a new ripoff band every month... Dragonheart, Sonata Arctica, Elvenking, Freedom Call, Edguy, D&W, Falconer.. they all sounded like just one band

I'd also change the thread subject to Power metal was more fun twenty years ago. [/quote]
You're going to hell. But not the cool one, that's where I'll go.
You go to the crappy hell.

t.a.j.

#3 Post by t.a.j. » 13 Apr 2009 18:06

I find myself kind of agreeing with wicked child, though 20 years ago, I wasn't listening to metal. I was 10.
But when I started getting into metal during the early 90s, it was very much like going exploring in some secret, hard to reach land, with treasures hidden by time and lack of commercial success. Then Glory to the Brave happened and things changed rapidly. At first I liked the album, mostly because it had some of the energy of Gothenburg Metal and it was, after all, a new Power Metal album, that seemed to be commercially successful. But I very soon grew disillusioned with it, seeing it as the bland rehash of half a dozen 80ties bands' styles that it was. And then all those other bands came along and they felt very much derivative to me. That probably was in part, because suddenly Power Metal had gotten so mainstream again and none of those new bands made me feel any of the adventure of discovering, say Omen or Warlord or even early Helloween.
But the other part was that they actually were tremendously derivative. The only band, from the list Ferdi mentioned, that I found original and liked was Falconer, but that quickly diminished with further albums. While I liked Demons and Wizards, but that mostly for the vocal lines and the song-writing as such. The riffs on that album were already tending towards to blandness of latter day IE. And well, one cannot deny that Rhapsody were kinda unique and original when they started out, at least for taking the idea that far. Other bands - most notably probably Shadow Gallery, Therion, Rage and Waltari - had done the whole symphonic and classical stuff before, but Rhapsody sure put the Hollywood into things.
But there were some bands starting out just before the hammer fell. Wardog, The Lord Weird Slough Feg and of course Destiny's End I knew and liked and then there's Morgana LeFay, who had the misfortune of starting out at the worst possible time for a power metal band.

It was actually only fairly recently that I have felt like good new power metal bands actually came out. It started in 2004 when I discovered Twisted Tower Dire and then came Powerwolf and Sabaton, Ligeia and Crystal Viper.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 13 Apr 2009 20:13

I think also, in addition to all the just things that have been said, that among the metal genre, power metal is the one that can get old the quickest, and then drop in quality and interest. There's so many rehashes of Eagle Fly Free that you can do, and after a while the double bass becomes boring; so when there was the power metal heyday everything seemed so great and nice because the genre, indeed, had a rejuvination, but because of the limitations of the genre itself, it died out kinda quickly...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Catanduva

The peak, for my taste

#5 Post by Catanduva » 14 Apr 2009 04:30

Even if power metal nowadays were better than 10 or 20 years ago, we wouldn't recognize it as so. There's nothing more pleasurable than discover a totally new kind of music. What you listen to first, it will be the classic for you.
........................................................................................................................

Edit 2018: Though Helloween, Gamma Ray, Rage and Blind Guardian started earlier, the peak was around the second half of the 90s. I can mention Fourth Dimension/Destiny period, Missing Link/End Of All Days period, first four Rhapsody albums, the ressurection of Grave Digger, Black Hand Inn, Hammerfall, until NIME and first Primal Fear. The last sigh was Sonata Arctica, which had an unique sound.

I don't like the newer power metal, even the work of Stratovarius, Sonata, etc. I don't think it's me. The music now is generic, random, maybe because the bands try to avoid the clichés of the past. But the clichés were good at that time.

What we need now are new clichés, I mean, melodic vocal lines immediately recognized as attractive music because you have already heard that before in classic or pop music, any other genre, but can't remember clearly.

Sometimes I think the problem is related to money. The labels are giving less money to the genre, so the bands don't risk and keep working in the same old studios, with the same old staff, that doesn't help the band with original and good ideas anymore.
Last edited by Catanduva on 18 Oct 2018 04:31, edited 22 times in total.
#@╣#¢%ç @#°#▓®▒▓

corrupted old gnom

#6 Post by corrupted old gnom » 14 Apr 2009 17:54

i can't tell if it's the music or if it's me...but it's true that rarely a new band (or even a new album) blows me away; but there are other facrotrs than just the bare quality of the new releases
for example, you've got less time to get to know new bands/albums...and they have more albums to compete against; and a new phenomenon has the same consequence: (at least for me) the entity of music changed from "an album" to "a song" - thanks to ipod; therefore a song has to convince you way before you get to know and love the track
and one important thing - i feel like i've heard it all; it's just the same over and over again...just weaker :) but that started a long time ago, and only fresh sounding music like sonata, falconer and rhapsody got my attention (with my interest in the latter declining rather quickly again)

nonetheless, there are fantastic releases every now and then - wuthering height's "the shadow gallery" earning e special mentioning here!
i also think that in the last year, some bands released stronger albums than during the few years before

EDIT: catanduva's rule applies to me, too
nothing will ever beat chroming rose, heaven's gate, (old) running wild or axxis
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Led Guardian

#7 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 21:19

Since all styles have their highs and lows, I think I'll stop call myself a fan of certain genres. I will make 2 genres to replace them: Music I Like and Music I Don't Like. That way, I only ever listen to one genre, and it will never be in decline. 8)
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#8 Post by Metal Fan » 14 Apr 2009 22:14

Led Guardian wrote: I will make 2 genres to replace them: Music I Like and Music I Don't Like. That way, I only ever listen to one genre, and it will never be in decline. 8)
Indeed!!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

t.a.j.

#9 Post by t.a.j. » 14 Apr 2009 22:14

Sadly, in no way is "Music I like" a genre. It has no conventions, no particulars and no history of production.

Palantyre

#10 Post by Palantyre » 14 Apr 2009 22:38

Yeah, a lot of power metal today sounds really bland and can't really compare to the old stuff and so forth... But I dunno if it's because power metal has changed or simply that I myself have changed.
Maybe the old stuff just sounds good because that's what I grew up with and have gotten used to it. If we were to switch places of some random new good quality power metal album from last year, and Helloween - The Time Of The Oath, which one would I like better? Can't say.

What if, say, Hibria - The Skull Collectors had come out in 1988 and Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. II just now, which one would be considered the classic? Time makes memories golden, as they say...

Btw, Hibria fucking rule.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Joost

#11 Post by Joost » 15 Apr 2009 00:01

The song I am listening to seems to indicate that metal was a helluva lot more fun 17 years ago, than now.

np: Blind Guardian - Journey Through the Dark
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Cerbere

#12 Post by Cerbere » 15 Apr 2009 00:50

savage circus is releasing an album this year, so is stratovarius, they're both good powermetal bands

Led Guardian

#13 Post by Led Guardian » 15 Apr 2009 21:13

t.a.j. wrote:Sadly, in no way is "Music I like" a genre. It has no conventions, no particulars and no history of production.
Sure it does. It's particulars are that it's stuff I like. It has a history of producing things I like. Its convention is having things in it that I like. It's just as good of a classification as Hardcore Symphonic Speedy Thrashy Polka McSludge Metal.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

t.a.j.

#14 Post by t.a.j. » 15 Apr 2009 21:30

No, it's actually a much better classification, it's just not a genre.

Spectrum

#15 Post by Spectrum » 16 Apr 2009 18:26

Led Guardian wrote:Since all styles have their highs and lows, I think I'll stop call myself a fan of certain genres. I will make 2 genres to replace them: Music I Like and Music I Don't Like. That way, I only ever listen to one genre, and it will never be in decline. 8)
Palantyre wrote:Yeah, a lot of power metal today sounds really bland and can't really compare to the old stuff and so forth... But I dunno if it's because power metal has changed or simply that I myself have changed.
Maybe the old stuff just sounds good because that's what I grew up with and have gotten used to it. If we were to switch places of some random new good quality power metal album from last year, and Helloween - The Time Of The Oath, which one would I like better? Can't say.

What if, say, Hibria - The Skull Collectors had come out in 1988 and Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. II just now, which one would be considered the classic? Time makes memories golden, as they say...

Btw, Hibria fucking rule.
These are by far the best posts in this thread.
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

Wicked Child

#16 Post by Wicked Child » 17 Apr 2009 02:41

Palantyre wrote:Btw, Hibria fucking rule.
Saw them in 2007. Yeah, they rule.
You're going to hell. But not the cool one, that's where I'll go.
You go to the crappy hell.

FantasyDrummer

#17 Post by FantasyDrummer » 17 Apr 2009 10:11

Cerbere wrote:savage circus is releasing an album this year, so is stratovarius, they're both good powermetal bands
I thought that Stratovarious broke up ?! :shock:

Palantyre

#18 Post by Palantyre » 17 Apr 2009 15:52

These are by far the best posts in this thread.
Wow. Not used to hearing that about my own posts. :lol:
I thought that Stratovarious broke up ?!
They kinda did, or were going to at least, but then they said "fuck it", kicked Tolkki out (or maybe he went of his own volition, I dunno) and are now continuing with a new guitarist. Sounds freaky, but it's true.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Cerbere

#19 Post by Cerbere » 17 Apr 2009 20:51

Cerbere

#20 Post by Cerbere » 18 Apr 2009 00:37

I preordered the cd 8)

The Rider Of Rohan

#21 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 18 Apr 2009 10:46

Well, the song sounds promising indeed.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.