Circus music

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
eolas

Circus music

#1 Post by eolas » 21 Mar 2009 20:24

I actually don't know how to explain but I'm searching some songs or an album that's similiar to the intro of Majesty or maybe The Trial by Pink Floyd.
You know; interesting instruments, weird rhymes, methaphors or other kind of stuff you can hear in a carnival.

Thanks
You're not dreaming but in a dream...

We're only at home when we're on the run!

Orodaran

#2 Post by Orodaran » 21 Mar 2009 21:04

Cabaret can work fine as well?? because Ataraxia, an italian renaissance / medieval / whatever band, made a very impressive album called "Paris Spleen", which is entirely dedicated to the cabaret and recreates a wonderful, eerie and enticing atmosphere of a decadent and sinister french venue called aptly "Hell" where the most unholy and weird performances supposedly took place...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

t.a.j.

#3 Post by t.a.j. » 21 Mar 2009 21:25

I can recommend the russian band Mechanical Poet, espc. their album "Woodland Prattlers". Prog Metal with just the kind of music you're looking for.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

eolas

#4 Post by eolas » 21 Mar 2009 22:45

Cabaret sounds great and I'm also gonna check out Mechanical Poet. as soon as possible but I have this prejudice against progressive metal; even though I love bands like Yes, Camel, Focus and Rush I just couldn't get used to the Dream Theater and Tool. But thanks anyway, I'll be back with the results of my search:)

eolas

#5 Post by eolas » 23 Mar 2009 17:07

I liked Ataraxia, I tried some songs from Paris Spleen on Last.fm and Ou Vont Les Chiens is my fave. so far, it's the stuff the I was looking for.

Now I should find whole the album and must try Mechanical Poet.; hım...

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 23 Mar 2009 21:07

Glad that you liked it! Did you check their website? dunno how much you care for this kind of things (usually I like to go behind the music when the subject is interesting enough), but the section for the album is very well done with many pics, stories, accounts (it's quite clear that they want the premise of the album, the fact that they were contacted by a medium because some dead musicians wanted them to perform again their music, to be taken for completely true and accurate) that is a quite fascinating read.... mixed of course with the music and the wonderful atmosphere it has 8)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

t.a.j.

#7 Post by t.a.j. » 23 Mar 2009 21:21

Now I had almost forgotten it: Angizia does music much like that, also eastern european folkish stuff, kletzmer, classical, rock... Well, the certainly are worth checking out.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

eolas

#8 Post by eolas » 23 Mar 2009 23:21

Orodaran: Yeah, I checked the site; it seemed very nice though I couldn't get so deep, I just looked for the tour program and some tabs. But I found some texts, pictures as a .rar file on another website (It must be illegal somehow, I think.) and they're great; it's said that most of the songs are inspired or quoted by Baudelaire (I like his poetry) and the pictures were very nice, I wish I could understand French...

Thanks again t.a.j.; I remember something about kletzmer, was it kind of a jazz mostly played by Jews or bands like Oi Va Voi (They're coming to Turkey anyway!). If so, I like this genre and I'm also gonna have them on my list.

Thanks
eolas

Où vont les chiens ?
Ils vont à leurs affaires

Setril

#9 Post by Setril » 24 Mar 2009 19:23

Yes, I would definitely check out Angizia (especially their last two albums "39 Jahre für den Leierkastenmann" & "Ein Toter fährt gern Ringelspiel"), they were the first band that came to my mind when I read your post. Their music is as far from easy listening as possible, but imo one of the most underrated bands. Takes some time to get into them, but it's worth it.

http://www.myspace.com/angiziaofficial

Joost

#10 Post by Joost » 24 Mar 2009 20:14

Not sure if it really fits, but you could try Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses! Not exactly circus music, but theatrical, over-the-top, instrumental yet caberet-ish in feel, and at the same time highly progressive.

http://www.myspace.com/headlesshorses

Of the songs there, perhaps Peacock the Heretic is the best one to start with.

Also Angizia is a good suggestion by Setril. And check out Devil Doll (the Slovenian/Italian band of Mr. Doctor, that is, not the weird female singer who also goes by that name).
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

eolas

#11 Post by eolas » 24 Mar 2009 21:12

I also tried some by Angizia like Der Kinderzar or Mein Jahr im Lemberg 1911; they sounded like Haggard so far, it wasn't the type I was looking for but you know what they say. We find the best when we aren't searching it (Or do they say so? It'd be a fine aphorism:) I'm also happy because it's hard to meet german/austrian bands and I definetly need listening some german.

And @Joost: I'm listening to Peacock the Heretic, they sound like they have a folk/theatrical genre and I also like them. (I tried Asmodious Arise before I finished this message, the drums are great and progressive in that way; are they a well-known band among their country or world wide?)

Man, it's hard to find un-cheesy bands doing that kind of music but I didn't know that there were so many: ) After this week full of exams I should go deeper with them and also try Mechanical Poet.

Ou vont les Chiens! (It must be a question but also seems to be a good slogan or farewell.)

See you around
Eolas

Celuden Aerwyn

#12 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 20 May 2009 07:35

Well Dr. Steel is very influenced by circus and carnival music. Might try out Lament for a Toy Factory and Fibonacci Sequence.

http://www.myspace.com/drsteel

You can also listen to a bunch of his songs on his website: http://www.doctorsteel.com/

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#13 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 30 May 2009 23:22

Emir Kusturica & The non smoking orchestra,that's more like gipsy music,but they have quite a few tunes that sound like circus music.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

eolas

#14 Post by eolas » 30 May 2009 23:32

I'm gonna check the last posts as soon as possible but finally I've found my music on the film Killer Klowns From the Outer Space. The soundtrack seems to be made by some guys called The Dickies and the main soundtrack is just like I was searching for.

Orodaran

Re: Circus music

#15 Post by Orodaran » 21 Nov 2010 15:43

More cabaret than circus, you can check out also the Diablo Swing Orchestra!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

Re: Circus music

#16 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 21 Nov 2010 21:05

for more folkish/gipsy/klezmer stuff,here are some names
Fanfare Ciocarlia
Municipale Balcanica
17 Hippies
Golem!
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢