"Jotun"......

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
TraneDeracs

"Jotun"......

#1 Post by TraneDeracs » 20 Mar 2009 05:39

Okay, I am sitting here listening to Pandora and In Flame's "Jotun" came on.

I am sad. So so sad that this promising band completely derailed themselves after so many excellent albums. Now I know how the typical "their earlier albums were better" argument goes, but this folks...is just depressing. Therion, Children of Bodom, Blind Guardian, Death, Opeth, etc etc etc...

So many bands evolved their sound and while I may prefer older material here and there...but we will never have another Whoracle, Jester Race, Clayman, Subterranean, or Colony ever again. I know this argument has been said to death and back, but I still pine for an explanation of some sort. They went from beautiful riffs to scenesters.

Soundtrack to Your Escape - All that was missing was a picture of Neo on the front.
Come Clarity - An attempt to combine audiences that did nothing.
A Sense of Purpose - Are they....TRYING to mimic KoRn here? I have to ask.

Rant, rave, and destroy. Commence.

t.a.j.

#2 Post by t.a.j. » 20 Mar 2009 08:00

Clayman already sucked. The moment he started to sing clean, it all went downhill.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Asha

#3 Post by Asha » 22 May 2009 21:14

shure I like the older albums, but the three latest albums are at least as good as the other ones!
I think they have developed relly well.

but thats just my opinion :D

Dreamflight

#4 Post by Dreamflight » 23 May 2009 14:49

I kind start listening to the newer albums but the main problem I found was that the songs grow old too soon. While I didn't like Whoracle and Jester Race at first(except December Flower), after some listening the songs start to grow on me, and today I can say there's two fine albums. Of course the best In Flames would never match the worst Dark T imo, but still there's lot of cool stuff.
t.a.j. wrote:Clayman already sucked. The moment he started to sing clean, it all went downhill.
Still, the riffs of Pinball Map and Bullet Ride are just insane.
End Of An Era about bullfights wrote:like my mother used to say: "quit playing with your food!"

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#5 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 24 May 2009 05:28

t.a.j. wrote:Clayman already sucked. The moment he started to sing clean, it all went downhill.
kind of,though i do enjoy some of the post Whoracle albums a bit,especially Come Clarity.To me everything they released after that is like a whole new band.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

The Rider Of Rohan

#6 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 May 2009 11:58

In Flames has always fased these kind of complaints. When Colony came out, everybody complained that it was no Jester's Race. Now Pandora comes out, and people complaints that it is no Colony. Seems to me IF cannot do it right no matter what.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Spectrum

#7 Post by Spectrum » 24 May 2009 13:03

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:In Flames has always fased these kind of complaints. When Colony came out, everybody complained that it was no Jester's Race. Now Pandora comes out, and people complaints that it is no Colony. Seems to me IF cannot do it right no matter what.
Many bands get this. Back when Dream Theater released 6DOIT everyone hated it. Nowadays it is a pretty popular album.
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

The Rider Of Rohan

#8 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 May 2009 17:35

Exactly.

At least IF and DT are doing what they want to, the way they want to. That's metal as fuck to me.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.