Good bands no one knows of...

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Dentarthurdent

#51 Post by Dentarthurdent » 25 Sep 2008 20:45

They actually were Finland's candidate for this year's Eurovision Song COntest. But they went in pretty low...
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Spectrum

#52 Post by Spectrum » 04 Nov 2008 23:23

I need to bump this thread to add Outworld. They are an American band playing aggressive progressive metal. Comparable to Symphony X, perhaps, but rougher and less catchy. Or perhaps like Persuader, but more virtuoso and progressive.

Notable for featuring somewhat-known guitarist Rusty Cooley and vocalist Kelly Sundown Carpenter (also in Beyond Twilight, but now out of both bands).

They have only released one album so far, plus a demo. A second one is in the works, but they are looking for a new vocalist.
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

Dentarthurdent

#53 Post by Dentarthurdent » 05 Nov 2008 00:01

Another band I'd like to add is Lanfear.

They've been in business for about 15 years, released five albums, but few people notive them. They something Power/Progressive Metal-like, very cool. And an amazing vocalist they've got, too.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

Spectrum

#54 Post by Spectrum » 05 Nov 2008 02:22

Dentarthurdent wrote:Another band I'd like to add is Lanfear.

They've been in business for about 15 years, released five albums, but few people notive them. They something Power/Progressive Metal-like, very cool. And an amazing vocalist they've got, too.
Is the name taken from Wheel of Time?
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

Warg Rider

#55 Post by Warg Rider » 06 Nov 2008 07:25

If your looking for some good old traditional sabbath like doom metal, check out the Finnish band called The Wandering Midget.
Recently discovered them by accident. Their debut album was released last month "The Serpent Coven", but the band was formed in 2005.
Check their myspace if you want to give them a listen.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

It is just that heavy metal musicians write in minor keys, and when you do that, you frighten people.
Ronnie James Dio

CJones

#56 Post by CJones » 05 Dec 2008 19:48

As usual, no mention of my favorite band:
Suspyre

They're a fantastic prog (and occasionally power) metal band from New Jersey, with significant classical and jazz influence. If you like Symphony X or Pagan's Mind (which I see mentioned here) I virtually guarantee you'll like them. Symphony X used to be my favorite band until I heard Suspyre (Blind Guardian is now third).

http://www.last.fm/music/Suspyre

I recommend listening to "The Singer" and "Galactic Backward Movements" from A Great Divide, and "Evolutions" and "Siren:One Last Breath" from When Time Fades.

Both their second and third albums (A Great Divide and When Time Fades respectively) rank among my most played albums.

Twister

#57 Post by Twister » 21 Jan 2009 00:47

I recently got into this band, called Neverdream.
They play some kind of prog metal but with electronic elements, plus since their latest album, "Souls - 26/04/1986", they got a sax player in the band, and the sax fits really well between the heavy-thrashy guitars and the keyboards/piano.

They're really something!

This is their website: http://www.neverdream.de/home.php?lang=en
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

Dentarthurdent

#58 Post by Dentarthurdent » 21 Jan 2009 16:13

Sax in metal? I've been thinking about something like that the past few days... I'll give ti a listen ater the Grave Digger gig tonight.

teo_guardian

#59 Post by teo_guardian » 21 Jan 2009 16:54

Sequester...ryan boc's band(cream here in this forum)

great music!!

1gnition

#60 Post by 1gnition » 21 Jan 2009 21:45

Demilich.

A 90's Finnish Death Metal band which is very unusual. They have very distinctive sound, unearthly melodies, and their soloist vocals are the lowest ever and I think that will make some of you want to puke.
Very unique and long song names such as "The Putrefying Road in the Nineteenth Extremity (...Somewhere inside the Bowels of Endlessness...)"
and "When the Sun Drank the Weight of Water" (??).

Their best album can be downloaded free (due to conflict of the band with the production or something) from their website.

More than worth checking.

Traveller in Time

#61 Post by Traveller in Time » 22 Jan 2009 17:25

Evertale (in former times Blackened)

Melodic Power Metal.

This band was founded by members of the former metal band "Blackened", which contributed one song to the "BG tribute project", and even were invited by BG to play at BGOA, where they played as opening gig.

Nowadays they are recording their new album. The first demo is already released.
They first wanted to have Thomen as producer for their new album, but they found no record label and so they decided to record and produce it on their own (if i am right it's a concept album about The Chronicles of The Dragonlance)

Evertale's MySpace site
Evertale's homepage
Last edited by Traveller in Time on 22 Jan 2009 22:05, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Psycho69

#62 Post by Psycho69 » 22 Jan 2009 17:44

That`s funny! Only two days ago when I looked over my CD- Collection I wondered if Blackened are still existing. A few years ago (2003 I think) I met their former bassist at Bang Your Head- Festival and a bit later I bought their CD, but then I didn`t think about them anymore.
Manowar! Mein Bier ist schon vader slayer!

t.a.j.

#63 Post by t.a.j. » 22 Jan 2009 21:03

Dentarthurdent wrote:Sax in metal? I've been thinking about something like that the past few days... I'll give ti a listen ater the Grave Digger gig tonight.
Not entirely new though. There was some sax on Riot's The Privilege of Power from 1990.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Traveller in Time

#64 Post by Traveller in Time » 22 Jan 2009 22:06

Psycho69 wrote:That`s funny! Only two days ago when I looked over my CD- Collection I wondered if Blackened are still existing. A few years ago (2003 I think) I met their former bassist at Bang Your Head- Festival and a bit later I bought their CD, but then I didn`t think about them anymore.
:D Yeah and i always forgot to mention them ;)

Little Dragon

#65 Post by Little Dragon » 23 Jan 2009 00:54

yesterday i was thinking what the name of the "after-blackened"-band was and if it still exists ;) so, good news i see! :D
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

CJones

#66 Post by CJones » 27 Jan 2009 00:05

Neverdream sounds interesting. I'll have to check them out.

Since people seem to be interested in Sax, maybe I should have mentioned that Suspyre, the band I mentioned earlier, uses it in several of their songs. In fact, their lead guitarist and main songwriter's first instrument is actually the Saxaphone, not the Guitar.

Spectrum

#67 Post by Spectrum » 30 Jan 2009 02:51

CJones wrote:Since people seem to be interested in Sax, maybe I should have mentioned that Suspyre, the band I mentioned earlier, uses it in several of their songs. In fact, their lead guitarist and main songwriter's first instrument is actually the Saxaphone, not the Guitar.
There is also a saxophone on Amorphis' "Am Universum". Although the metalness of that album is debatable...
- Spectrum

Traveller in Time

#68 Post by Traveller in Time » 23 Mar 2009 14:41

Maybe some of you know them already, i often saw some banners of their new album at some metal homepages but never paid attention.

Now i listenend to some songs on their Myspace site and i really enjoy listening to them.

Maybe some of you like them, too.
Theocracy from the USA

Dentarthurdent

#69 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Mar 2009 15:55

yay, Theocracy \m/

Spectrum

#70 Post by Spectrum » 24 Mar 2009 00:33

I've heard Theocracy. They are not bad.
- Spectrum

Erevain

#71 Post by Erevain » 01 Apr 2009 00:10

Disillusion

All the way...
Far 'till sky unites with earth I'll hide you,
They cannot dig what's inside of us.
Far 'till sky unites with earth I'll hide you,
They cannot dig what's inside of us.

Cerbere

Re: Good bands no one knows of...

#72 Post by Cerbere » 01 Apr 2009 02:13

TraneDeracs wrote:...yet.
Skyfire
false! i know them! i even have an album by them

Scion

#73 Post by Scion » 01 Apr 2009 12:10

Virgin Steele

Ok a lot of people maybe do know them but i get the feeling a lot of times that they are underrated. I mean some of the best moments i've had listening to heavy/power metal are with this band.
Unlock the door, and see the truth.
Then time is time again.

t.a.j.

#74 Post by t.a.j. » 01 Apr 2009 12:16

Spectrum wrote: There is also a saxophone on Amorphis' "Am Universum". Although the metalness of that album is debatable...
Any such debate will quickly come to the obvious conclusion that it isn't metal.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Melinda

#75 Post by Melinda » 27 Apr 2009 07:05

Tystnaden -> http://www.tystnaden.com/
One of my favorite bands. It's like death melodic with female clean vocals in combination with grunts (no! not just another beauty-and-the-beast lame band!)