Looking for heavy orchestral/choral music

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Spectrum

Looking for heavy orchestral/choral music

#1 Post by Spectrum » 02 Apr 2008 02:11

Hello.

I am looking for some orchestral/choral music that is really epic, bombastic and "heavy".

The classical music I listen to is mostly symphonies. Favourite composers include Anton Bruckner and Piotr Tchaikovsky. But those symphonies are all instrumental, and I'm craving something with vocals.

The vocals should be predominantly choirs. Male solo singing is also good, but female classical solo singing is very boring to my eyes.

Examples of what I am looking for include:

Gustav Mahler - Symphony no. 8
Giuseppe Verdi - parts of the Requiem, especially Dies Irae
Carl Orff - parts of Carmina Burana, especially O Fortuna

Remember, the key requirements are "epic" and "heavy".

It should be predominantly orchestral, but it need not be classical. Movie soundtracks, for instance, are fine. (The soundtracks to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies own, but they are mostly instrumental and therefore not what I am looking for.) Stuff that mixes orchestras with modern instruments is also fine.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. :)
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

Psychotron

#2 Post by Psychotron » 02 Apr 2008 10:29

I think this is what you're looking for:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=q5st0b3ln ... re=related
This was originaly from the soundtrack of the videogame Fiinal Fantasy VII, but this is a new version that includes the participation of the rock band The Black Mages.

Also from Final Fantasy VIII there is Liberi Fatali:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=evS1w7PmpJU

There is really great music that can be found on those games.
check out my music and Blind Guardian covers here

Child of Boredom

#3 Post by Child of Boredom » 02 Apr 2008 17:56

Have you tried RHAPSODY??? :P
"The quieter you become, the more you can hear. Voices. In your head. Exclusively."

Joost

#4 Post by Joost » 02 Apr 2008 18:16

Try Berlioz' Requiem or, as it is also called, Grande messe des morts (a way cooler title anyway). You can hear one of the coolest parts of the mass here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rimZC_gkV1A

Easily the coolest requiem I have ever heard. And, well, epic as fuck.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Spectrum

#5 Post by Spectrum » 04 Apr 2008 00:18

Psychotron wrote:I think this is what you're looking for:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=q5st0b3ln ... re=related
This was originaly from the soundtrack of the videogame Fiinal Fantasy VII, but this is a new version that includes the participation of the rock band The Black Mages.

Also from Final Fantasy VIII there is Liberi Fatali:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=evS1w7PmpJU

There is really great music that can be found on those games.
Yeah, this is not bad. Thanks. :)
Child of Boredom wrote:Have you tried RHAPSODY??? :P
Yes, I have. But no, I don't want metal with symphonic elements. I want symphonic music, possibly with rock/metal elements. For instance, a heavier variant of Devil Doll would be awesome. :D
Joost wrote:Try Berlioz' Requiem or, as it is also called, Grande messe des morts (a way cooler title anyway). You can hear one of the coolest parts of the mass here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rimZC_gkV1A

Easily the coolest requiem I have ever heard. And, well, epic as fuck.
You're right, I downloaded some, and it's pretty good. :)

Thanks. More suggestions still welcome.

EDIT: BTW, if anyone cares, I made a similar thread in the Metal-Archives forum.
- Spectrum
Some guy from [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0360.html]the Order of the Stick[/url] wrote:Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?

Telemachus

#6 Post by Telemachus » 07 May 2008 02:24

I can't believe Wagner hasn't been mentioned yet. He was the first one to make opera and choral music sprawling and epic, he was one of the inspirations for heavy metal (thematic elements & scope, not riffs & shredding), probably just what you're looking for. Can't really recommend anything specific myself, not being very heavily into opera, but you could probably look something good up on wikipedia.

Dorian Falkenmond

#7 Post by Dorian Falkenmond » 07 May 2008 14:29

Have you tried Haggard already? :roll:
Tears from my eyes.
Blood from my heart.
Wash away all these lies,
And tear me apart!
Purifying pain

Jo HANNES! aka Cid aka True Banana-Slayer

Spectrum

#8 Post by Spectrum » 08 May 2008 23:52

Telemachus wrote:I can't believe Wagner hasn't been mentioned yet. He was the first one to make opera and choral music sprawling and epic, he was one of the inspirations for heavy metal (thematic elements & scope, not riffs & shredding), probably just what you're looking for. Can't really recommend anything specific myself, not being very heavily into opera, but you could probably look something good up on wikipedia.
Yes, I should probably check out some Wagner. Thanks for the idea. I'm downloading some now. :)
Dorian Falkenmond wrote:Have you tried Haggard already? :roll:
I have heard them. They are OK, but not very epic nor heavy to my ears. Besides, they are metal with orchestral elements, which, as I have said clearly more than once, is NOT what I am looking for.

NP: Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes
- Spectrum

Ornendil

#9 Post by Ornendil » 09 May 2008 09:42

They're more than metal with orchestral elements. More like an orchestra with metal elements. But I agree. Heavy or epic isn't the words I'd use. Awesome, sure, but not what you're looking for.

I don't really have any good sugestions. With Verdi's Requiem, O Fortuna and Wagner, you already have all the suggestions I could think of.
If you have facts, bang the facts, if you have witnesses, bang the witnesses, if you have neither, bang the table.

Arwen Arianna

#10 Post by Arwen Arianna » 13 May 2008 00:31

Mozart's Requiem and lots of parts of Carl Loewe's "Hiob".. I can upload some tracks if you like..
try also the "thunderstorm" part of Händel's "Josua"
Give me some time and I'll come up with a few more.
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Spectrum

#11 Post by Spectrum » 13 May 2008 00:34

Arwen Arianna wrote:Mozart's Requiem and lots of parts of Carl Loewe's "Hiob".. I can upload some tracks if you like..
Hm, can I trust suggestions from someone with tildes in her signature? I doubt it.

But sure, that would be cool. :)
- Spectrum

Nahar

#12 Post by Nahar » 13 May 2008 17:33

Along with the maybe somewhat annoying comments... Sigh - Hangman's Hymn :p

It's also more than Metal with symphonic elements.. It's practically a "normal" Requiem.. And it's basically a tribute to German symphonies.
Has a choir and all and lots of epic parts ;)

Other than that I think that Penderecki's "Polish Requiem" is quite epic. I've yet to listen to all off it, but part 5 - "mors stupebit" is really awsome. I don't think you'll be dissappointed though it might not be what you'd expect (he's quite modern).
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

Arwen Arianna

#13 Post by Arwen Arianna » 13 May 2008 19:48

Spectrum wrote:
Arwen Arianna wrote:Mozart's Requiem and lots of parts of Carl Loewe's "Hiob".. I can upload some tracks if you like..
Hm, can I trust suggestions from someone with tildes in her signature? I doubt it.

But sure, that would be cool. :)
bah... my answer to that is: ~
:lol:
Anyway, Mozart's Requiem is already on YouTube, look especially for "Dies Irae" and "Domine Deus".
As for Hiob, here are two so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-vyZ8h1iUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orE9siChc-c
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#14 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 12 Aug 2008 23:27

first thing that comes to mind is Therion.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Spectrum

#15 Post by Spectrum » 24 Mar 2009 00:48

In case someone is following this thread, I have found some great ones I could share:

X-Ray Dog

A music studio that makes epic, orchestral music for movie trailers. They are awesome. They have made about 40 albums full of music. They are not available to the public, but samples can be streamed from the X-Ray Dog website (google them). (And there are some nice torrents out there.)

Apart from X-Ray Dog, I have also found a number of film soundtracks that are awesome. They include:

Beowulf
Van Helsing
The Mummy (I and II)
Predator (I and II)
Krull
Jurassic Park
Shadow of the Colossus (video game, not film)
King Arthur (2004)
King Kong (2005)
- Spectrum

Catanduva

#16 Post by Catanduva » 24 Mar 2009 03:48

There's an allegro con brio in the 8th beethoven symphony that fits it, but I don't remember exactly the moment.
#@╣#¢%ç @#°#▓®▒▓

Led Guardian

#17 Post by Led Guardian » 24 Mar 2009 22:23

Spectrum wrote:In case someone is following this thread, I have found some great ones I could share:

X-Ray Dog

A music studio that makes epic, orchestral music for movie trailers. They are awesome. They have made about 40 albums full of music. They are not available to the public, but samples can be streamed from the X-Ray Dog website (google them). (And there are some nice torrents out there.)

Apart from X-Ray Dog, I have also found a number of film soundtracks that are awesome. They include:

Beowulf
Van Helsing
The Mummy (I and II)
Predator (I and II)
Krull
Jurassic Park
Shadow of the Colossus (video game, not film)
King Arthur (2004)
King Kong (2005)
If you want epic orchestral soundtrack type music, I would suggest the complete recordings of the Lord of the Rings soundtracks. I believe it actually contains a little more music than even the extended versions of the films. Expensive, but absolutely superb. It seems to me to actually blur the line between movie music and, uh, not movie music.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Traveller in Time

#18 Post by Traveller in Time » 27 Mar 2009 17:54

Maybe you can try "Trans-Siberian Orchestra"
Although they mostly use synthesizers instead of real classic instruments.
But therefore in a great rock style...
ah and mostly songs suiting to christmas ;) Maybe it is not right season for these songs now ;)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Palantyre

#19 Post by Palantyre » 28 Mar 2009 15:18

Is it, like, too obvious or something, or why hasn't anyone mentioned Basil Poledouris? O_o

The track Riders of Doom from the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is heavily influenced by O Fortuna, and it's as goddamn epic as they come, complete with immense choir and all. Can't remember off hand if any of the other tracks have choirs or anything, but they sure as hell fit the "epic" and "heavy" criteria.

Apart from Conan, Poledouris also did the soundtrack for Starship Troopers, which has lots of bombastic-as-hell moments.

EDIT: In case you have never heard the music from Conan the Barbarian, listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGWF8mz1Zw
It's a slow start, but it starts kicking off a little after the two minute mark.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

jophelerks

Re: Looking for heavy orchestral/choral music

#20 Post by jophelerks » 23 Jun 2009 16:39

I think Globus does stuff like that. They made some movie soundtracks and released some epic songs with vocals and metal elements, most notably Preliator. I think that might be worth your time.