Edguy

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
Baby_Kürsch

Edguy

#1 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 09 Mar 2007 04:31

Edguy is fucking awsome. I have been on this huge powermetal trip for the last couple of weeks. I have only really listened to Mandrake but I am really digin Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride. I also have some stuff off an album called Kingdom Of Madness. Is it a different singer??
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

Stranger

#2 Post by Stranger » 09 Mar 2007 08:33

Check out Vain Glory Opera. Hansi does some cool guest vocals on one of the songs. According to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edguy#Discography Kingdom of Madness was their second album.
"Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself" -Bender

DarkBlade

#3 Post by DarkBlade » 09 Mar 2007 09:34

hansi does guast vocals on two tracks from vain glory opera( vain glory opera, and out of control) they aree both very good. and yes, tobias sammett has been the lead singer the whole time.
"And then there was silence!"... until he says "just a voice from the other world!", then there wasn't silence for like another ten minutes. but you all know that's a good thing.

http://www.last.fm/user/darkblade5432/

Epic IM

#4 Post by Epic IM » 09 Mar 2007 09:51

You should check out Theater of Salvation as well. In addtion to the epic title track, there are some brilliant power metal tunes on the album. I think Theater and Vain Glory Opera are probably the best Edguy albums but of course later albums have good stuff on them also.

And everyone who has the chance should go and see Edguy live. I've seen two of their live shows and they haven't disappointed me yet.
I have destroyed Balance and ravaged Order. Only Chaos remains.

Twister

#5 Post by Twister » 09 Mar 2007 12:22

I got into them recently. Very good, definitely not the same power metal all over again. :)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

rdyfrde

Re: Edguy

#6 Post by rdyfrde » 09 Mar 2007 18:04

Baby_Kürsch wrote:I also have some stuff off an album called Kingdom Of Madness. Is it a different singer??
No, Tobi formed the band at age 15 so he's been there the whole time. Though his voice has evolved a lot over the years. On the early demos, he could barely scream ;)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Stranger

#7 Post by Stranger » 09 Mar 2007 21:46

The only thing I don't like about Edguy is that Tobias Sammet sounds very much like Bruce Dickinson except for the amount of tremolo he uses.

...oh boy, I know I'm going to get slammed for saying that.
"Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself" -Bender

rdyfrde

#8 Post by rdyfrde » 09 Mar 2007 22:03

Stranger wrote:The only thing I don't like about Edguy is that Tobias Sammet sounds very much like Bruce Dickinson except for the amount of tremolo he uses.

No you're not. I've always thought he sounds like Bruce. Though more like a combination of Bruce/Michael Kiske/Geoff Tate. Since I like all three singers, I don't mind his voice ;)

Orodaran

#9 Post by Orodaran » 09 Mar 2007 22:30

He improved a lot btw.... he can handle the high-pitch screams very well, also his pronunciation is much better... in Vain Glory Opera he had such a weird accent because of his struggle to hit the notes, now he's a really more powerful singer.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Niphredil

#10 Post by Niphredil » 11 Mar 2007 02:20

indeed..Tobbias is more powerfull singer now.
btw..Edguy is an amazing band. they have great songs . "Vain Glory Opera" and "Hellfire Club" are my favourites albums.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent

Orion Crystal Ice

#11 Post by Orion Crystal Ice » 11 Mar 2007 03:24

They lost all my respect and interest, with the increasingly lame lyrics and image.....

'Mandrake' was cool... but it's hard to even listen to, with what they are now..

Scion

#12 Post by Scion » 11 Mar 2007 13:39

I like them, a lot of their stuff is good, especially the older works. I think theres more interesting stuff out there though, they really aren't that original.
Unlock the door, and see the truth.
Then time is time again.

Orodaran

#13 Post by Orodaran » 11 Mar 2007 15:31

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:They lost all my respect and interest, with the increasingly lame lyrics and image.....

'Mandrake' was cool... but it's hard to even listen to, with what they are now..

Well, they always had their far share of serious songs and lame songs.... the latest albums opens with a very "serious" (and kickass) song for example, and it's one of their best!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Beyond the Helms of Death

#14 Post by Beyond the Helms of Death » 11 Mar 2007 15:55

rdyfrde wrote:
Stranger wrote:The only thing I don't like about Edguy is that Tobias Sammet sounds very much like Bruce Dickinson except for the amount of tremolo he uses.

No you're not. I've always thought he sounds like Bruce. Though more like a combination of Bruce/Michael Kiske/Geoff Tate. Since I like all three singers, I don't mind his voice ;)
I personally think the constant Bruce Dickinson comparisons are a bit overdone. He's somewhat reminiscent at times, but that's about it.

Also, I find him to be more in the Halford/Hansen-esque over-the-top wailing school of vocals than the exremely controlled, more technical Tate/Kiske vein.
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:They lost all my respect and interest, with the increasingly lame lyrics and image.....

I personally wish I could just have hated their last album like I hated the EP Superheroes, but noooo, they had to pull a Manowar and include a couple of awesome songs (Sacrifice is easily among my top 5 favorites of theirs) along with a lot of weak or extremely stupid and crappy ones :?

Anyways, I really like Hellfire Club and Vain Glory Opera. Mandrake is also decent and Theater of Salvation has its moments. I could never get into the first two though.

rdyfrde

#15 Post by rdyfrde » 17 Sep 2008 10:59

Orodaran

#16 Post by Orodaran » 17 Sep 2008 11:13

Better than Rocket Ride, worse than Hellfire Club :P but I have a good feeling about this disc 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Little Dragon

#17 Post by Little Dragon » 17 Sep 2008 15:11

you nearly killed me with this pick! It looks so cheap... :|
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Beren Ercharmion

#18 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 17 Sep 2008 17:59

I like the cover - but I fear the music will be bad, judging from the way they develloped over the last couple of years :(
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Regrin

#19 Post by Regrin » 17 Sep 2008 18:46

I like Edguy, but this cover goes too far, do not know what Tobi was thinking about...some people is going to get pissed about it. :lol:

Hope they come back with something like Hellfire Club :twisted:
Illuminati
You'll never take control
Your new world order
Will lead to none at all
We all stand before you as one
Heaven is for everyone
To be free from the dark

Beren Ercharmion

#20 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 17 Sep 2008 18:57

I do hope they come back with something like Madrake, but that will not happen, sadly :(
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

ThePKH

#21 Post by ThePKH » 17 Sep 2008 19:08

That albumcover is like one of the funniest of them ever. Seriously, I LMAOed for it! The albumtitle is funny as well, and the cover definetly supports it well. :D
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Orodaran

#22 Post by Orodaran » 17 Sep 2008 19:57

Beren Ercharmion wrote:I do hope they come back with something like Madrake, but that will not happen, sadly :(
Mandrake is indeed an hell of a good album.... too bad they played the worst songs off it in the tour!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

rdyfrde

#23 Post by rdyfrde » 17 Sep 2008 20:50

Regrin wrote:I like Edguy, but this cover goes too far, do not know what Tobi was thinking about...some people is going to get pissed about it. :lol:
Tobi always likes to push the envelope. Hell, he wrote a song called "New Age Messiah" declaring himself god :lol:

I like the cover. Though in all honesty I could care less about album artwork, it's the music that's important to me :)

Orodaran

#24 Post by Orodaran » 17 Sep 2008 21:35

rdyfrde wrote:Tobi always likes to push the envelope. Hell, he wrote a song called "New Age Messiah" declaring himself god :lol:
And he even said that he feels like God in a recent interview :lol: but he also explained why: because, in his words, both he and God do not take themselves even half as seriously as their fans do :lol:

And anyway, "Pardon fucking me, who the fucking fuck is Jesus, motherfucking new messiah for the fucking world" are possibly Tobi's best lyrics EVER :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dwarfare

#25 Post by Dwarfare » 17 Sep 2008 21:54

Mandrake and Hellfire club are both great albums, but I don't really have much of a taste for just about anything else that's been done by them, other than Sammet's Avantasia ablums, which are pretty good.

My own verdict: At least they're not Stratovarius...

Regrin

#26 Post by Regrin » 19 Sep 2008 07:03

rdyfrde wrote:Tobi always likes to push the envelope. Hell, he wrote a song called "New Age Messiah" declaring himself god :lol:

I like the cover. Though in all honesty I could care less about album artwork, it's the music that's important to me :)
yeah! he is damn crazy! :lol: on rocket ride " the creation of Tobi" by Michelangelo lol God is wearing an Edguy´s t-shirt...

He likes making that, but I think he could think on a better cover than this one, if he wanted to make fun about it, he could put himself as God wearing a very gay "flower´s crown" instead of thorn´s crown wearing glasses and cryin´...for example

Anyway as you said waht really cares is the music and Tobi never lets down! :)

Sorry if I make it a personal thread but you seem to have the same musical taste as me, which are you top bands?!
I´ll name mines
1.- GAMMA RAY :twisted: fuckin´love them. Although I got a bit disappointed with the last record.

2.- Blind Guardian( NEVER got disappointed)
3.- Helloween, never considered myself as a pumpkin head but the last record made me recover the faith...
4.-Edguy-Avantasia
5.- Kiske stuff - Lande stuff

Stratovarius, Stormwarrior, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Sonata Arctica, Heavenly, Hammerfall, Freedom Call, old Rhapsody, Angra ( with Matos)Primal Fear, Iron Savior, Rage, Iced Earth, Children of Bodom, Nocturnal Rites, Persuader-Savage Circus, Nightwish...

of course, do not have to mention them but;
JUDAS PRIEST
METALLICA
MANOWAR
IRON MAIDEN
not in particular order
Illuminati
You'll never take control
Your new world order
Will lead to none at all
We all stand before you as one
Heaven is for everyone
To be free from the dark

rdyfrde

#27 Post by rdyfrde » 19 Sep 2008 17:28

Regrin wrote:Sorry if I make it a personal thread but you seem to have the same musical taste as me, which are you top bands?!
I´ll name mines
1.- GAMMA RAY :twisted: fuckin´love them. Although I got a bit disappointed with the last record.

2.- Blind Guardian( NEVER got disappointed)
3.- Helloween, never considered myself as a pumpkin head but the last record made me recover the faith...
4.-Edguy-Avantasia
5.- Kiske stuff - Lande stuff
It's changes too frequently. If you asked me in 2002, I would have said that I loved Symphony X. If you asked me in 2003, it would have been Ayreon/Damian Wilson. If you asked me in 2004, I would have been Blind Guardian. If you asked me in 2005, it would have been Edguy. In 2006, it was Gamma Ray. In 2007, it's still Gamma Ray. In 2008, oh look it's Gamma Ray. Ok, maybe I'm a little more consistent now :lol:

Though my all time favorite band is Queen. No one will overthrow them 8)

Dreamflight

#28 Post by Dreamflight » 19 Sep 2008 20:21

If one day I would have the chance to be a rock star that would be Tobi. :D

I'm really looking forward to this new album, even if Rocket Ride was such a let down (despite Sacrifice and Asylium).
End Of An Era about bullfights wrote:like my mother used to say: "quit playing with your food!"

Dave THornus

#29 Post by Dave THornus » 22 Sep 2008 14:40

The new album is coming soon..
And even better. they're touring with Kamelot !!
And Even in my darkest hour a sign of hope was written in the sky.

Little Dragon

#30 Post by Little Dragon » 22 Sep 2008 16:33

Dave THornus wrote: And even better. they're touring with Kamelot !!
D'oh! Really?
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I find it hard to take
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Orodaran

#31 Post by Orodaran » 22 Sep 2008 16:48

Yes.... but only in the USA, this month or so....

Edguy and Kamelot will have separate tours of Europe next late winter / spring...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Little Dragon

#32 Post by Little Dragon » 22 Sep 2008 18:17

aaahh, good 8)
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I find it hard to take
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

rdyfrde

#33 Post by rdyfrde » 22 Sep 2008 23:23

Orodaran wrote:Yes.... but only in the USA, this month or so....
No, not this month. Next month :)

They play in Seattle on October 23rd. 20 days after Helloween & Gamma Ray 8)

Dave THornus

#34 Post by Dave THornus » 23 Sep 2008 12:11

Not only in the USA,
there are also a few gigs in Germany
And Even in my darkest hour a sign of hope was written in the sky.

rdyfrde

#35 Post by rdyfrde » 15 Oct 2008 19:42

Orodaran

#36 Post by Orodaran » 15 Oct 2008 21:38

Mh, does it actually play? I can't hear anything....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

rdyfrde

#37 Post by rdyfrde » 16 Oct 2008 00:53

Orodaran wrote:Mh, does it actually play? I can't hear anything....
It seems that Nuclear Blast's website is having problems now. It did work when I originally posted the link.

rdyfrde

#38 Post by rdyfrde » 01 Nov 2008 21:32

Sorrowmoon

#39 Post by Sorrowmoon » 02 Nov 2008 11:12

Damn, what a song! I love it. Only two more weeks, can't wait for the album anymore!
Pahinta on pelätä, että alkaisi pelätä.

Dreamflight

#40 Post by Dreamflight » 06 Nov 2008 14:21

Can't say the song impressed me that much...ah well lets wait for the whole thing.
End Of An Era about bullfights wrote:like my mother used to say: "quit playing with your food!"

rdyfrde

#41 Post by rdyfrde » 26 Mar 2009 20:45

Via Blabbermouth:

EDGUY: 'F**king With F*** - Live' DVD Trailer Available - Mar. 26, 2009

A three-and-a-half-minute trailer for "Fucking With F*** - Live", the new DVD and separate 2-CD package from German melodic metallers EDGUY, can be viewed below. The footage for the DVD was shot on November 3, 2006 at the Credicard Hall in São Paulo, Brazil and "presents a mind-blowing performance of Tobias Sammet [vocals] and his team," according to a press release. "More than 100 minutes including all hymns, as well as lots of bonus material featuring all video clips, road movies and interviews. Besides the DVD, there will be also a double live CD, separate, as well as part of a noble package along with the DVD."

"Fucking With F*** - Live" track listing:

01. Catch Of The Century
02. Sacrifice
03. Babylon
04. Lavatory Love Machine
05. Land Of the Miracle
06. Tears Of A Mandrake
07. Vain Glory Opera
08. Drum Solo
09. Superheroes
10. Fucking With Fire
11. Save Me
12. Mysteria
13. Out Of Control
14. Avantasia
15. King Of Fools

Check out the cover artwork below.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421/335 ... f3a5_o.jpg

The concert footage from the "Fucking With F*** - Live" will be shown at nine German cinemas on April 27 beginning at 20.00 CET:

* Berlin - Colosseum / UCI Kinowelt
* Hamburg - Mundsburg / UCI Kinowelt
* Kaiserslautern - UCI Kinowelt
* Düsseldorf - UCI Kinowelt (with Felix Bohnke as guest)
* Flensburg - UCI Kinowelt
* München - Mathäser / Kinopolis
* Karlsruhe - Universum City / Kinopolis
* Frankfurt - Cinemagnum (with several EDGUY musicians as guests)
* Nürnberg - Cinecitta

Tickets are 6 euros.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5SQSppFb4

Spectrum

#42 Post by Spectrum » 26 Mar 2009 23:06

rdyfrde wrote:Fucking With F*** - Live
What is the purpose of the asterisks?
- Spectrum
Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?
Source: Order of the Stick

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#43 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 27 Mar 2009 00:57

fuckin' with fire...what an odd thing to say
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Palantyre

#44 Post by Palantyre » 27 Mar 2009 18:39

I've loved Edguy since Theater of Salvation, and still do.

But guess what? I fucking love Rocket Ride. Yeah, you heard me. And not even "despite" the humor, but because of it together with the killer songs.
I seriously wonder how many people who say they don't like it actually haven't even given the songs a proper listen and are just taken aback by the humorous imagery, because it offends their sense of what's "metal." (And before you go apeshit on me and start yelling "hey screw you, I listened to the songs and I really don't like them" and so on: I never said you didn't. I'm just wondering.)

I mean, music is meant to be enjoyed. And who wouldn't enjoy having fun? I only have to listen to the lyrics and look at the cover artwork, and I see how immensely much fun the band is having with their music. And that feeling of fun unavoidably transfers to me as well. Very few songs are as uplifting to me as Superheroes, because it's just that fun and has that impeccable light-hearted feel-good vibe to it. And Trinidad? I love it. Best summer song ever. Still makes me laugh. There are those that are silly just for silliness' sake, and then there are those like Tobi and Edguy who are silly because their idea of fun just happens to be like that.

So yeah, I love Edguy's humorous songs just as much as the serious ones, and I don't care worth one single piddlesquat about how metal or whatever they aren't. I just wish there were more people like them, people who don't take themselves and what they do too goddamn seriously.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

rdyfrde

#45 Post by rdyfrde » 27 Mar 2009 21:42

Spectrum wrote:
rdyfrde wrote:Fucking With F*** - Live
What is the purpose of the asterisks?
To be a smart ass on Edguy's part. Usually you would asterisk the swear word "Fuck", so instead they did it on the word that isn't a swear word to be funny ;)

Orodaran

#46 Post by Orodaran » 27 Mar 2009 23:23

No no no no no, wait, you actually mean that the DVD is named like the song, Fucking with Fire, and it's not meant to be called Fucking with Fuck???
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

rdyfrde

#47 Post by rdyfrde » 28 Mar 2009 00:14

Orodaran wrote:No no no no no, wait, you actually mean that the DVD is named like the song, Fucking with Fire, and it's not meant to be called Fucking with Fuck???
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It's called Fucking With Fire just like the song :)

http://www.nuclearblast.de/showDynamicP ... l&nid=2788

Orodaran

#48 Post by Orodaran » 28 Mar 2009 00:46

And once again Edguy make me wonder if they are an example of idiocy, or geniality :lol: :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Palantyre

#49 Post by Palantyre » 28 Mar 2009 10:36

Genious idiocy. ;)
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

The Rider Of Rohan

#50 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 13 Apr 2009 10:37

Listening to the new album for the first time now..
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.