Discography

Write here all your comments, suggestions, insults, whatever, about the Blind Guardian Official Homepage and the forum.
Binabik

Discography

#1 Post by Binabik » 14 May 2011 14:26

Hi,

some time ago there were links to tabs of some of the songs under discography.
I wanted to ask if there are plans to restore them or if they can be found somewhere else.

Desert_Storm

Re: Discography

#2 Post by Desert_Storm » 14 May 2011 23:18

Hi there!
I was wondering the same, quite a lot of the content of the old page has vanished, when the new page was introduced I thought that the webmaster was going to put it back up, but it's been a while now and I don't think we can expect that to happen.
Anyway, when you go to an older version of the website, you should be able to find at least some of the tabs available back then. Try for example this version, I tried out a couple of tabs (in the discography section) and they worked.
Another good bg-related place for their tabs was "the following", their fanclub, so to speak, unfortunately this site, too, is down now, but you can try older versions here as well, like this one. Scroll to "discography" in the navigation to the left, the books on the shelve are the albums, we used to have ASCII-based tabs there as well as guitar pro files, but I haven't tried if they're still accessible. If they aren't, you could ask in the the following section of this forum if somebody there has them archived somewhere.
Anyway, the best place for good tabs in my opinion is 911tabs or ultimate guitar, they have quite accurate guitar pro files for most of the older bg songs, I remember that I preferred the tabs there to most of the ones on the bg-page when I used to play those songs, so I would give that a try.
If you can't find a specific tab there, a tab is not accurate or you have other problems with a certain song, you can always ask in the musicians section of this forum (the piper's calling) or send me a pm with your question, maybe I can help you out.
cheers!
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Binabik

#3 Post by Binabik » 15 May 2011 19:08

Wow,
thx a lot for your effort! :)
I didn't even know something like this internet-timemachine existed.
Apparently it's true that the internet never forgets. :shock:

I kind of had hoped to find the "official" tabs of the bards song there, but I'm sure there has to be something fairly accurate under all those fanmade ones.
And since I'm playing on a single acoustic guitar I'll have to make some modifications anyway.

Desert_Storm

#4 Post by Desert_Storm » 15 May 2011 21:47

You're welcome :)
I don't think that there are/were "official" tabs to any BG songs, in terms of being written or checked/approved by the band members. As far as I remember, even some of those on the old website were erroneous and most of them were incomplete. Then again, this was before the advent of guitar pro tabs, and tabs have generally improved since then, because it's much easier now to tab a song for all instruments of a band - and you hear almost immediately when there's an error.
I used to play an arrangement of the bards song for solo guitar, compromising the two guitar parts into one including most of the vocal melodies during the verses and the solo, unfortunately I didn't write it down (or lost it somewhere, I'm not sure about that ;) ), but if you're halfway experienced player with an acceptable ear you shouldn't have to much problems with getting the (dominant) melodies right while playing the chords, especially since it's mostly in the first position.
If you want the correct chords written out (some tabs didn't even get this right) or have any other problems with the song, feel free to pm me.
Cheers!
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language