Stop forum spam

Write here all your comments, suggestions, insults, whatever, about the Blind Guardian Official Homepage and the forum.
spamel

Stop forum spam

#1 Post by spamel » 31 May 2010 11:01

This should be very handy for the Mods and Admin to stop the gits joining p and spamming the hell out of the forums. Check their IP or username against the list and if it comes up, don't allow their membership to be processed further. Add all of the monkey boys too that have been banned and hopefully one day we will be rid of these spam posts everywhere.

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

lovely100, who has made some spam posts recently, is shown up straight away. The only way to stop them is to not let them in in the first place. It's a time consuming job, and I know the Mods and Admin don't get paid for this but I hope this will be of use to you. Keep banning their asses, they'll get the message eventually! :twisted:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: Stop forum spam

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 03 Jun 2010 01:57

LOL

this is just priceless.. too priceless to not reply
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#3 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 03 Jun 2010 05:38

lmao
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

spamel

#4 Post by spamel » 03 Jun 2010 11:46

I must admit, I laughed my ass off when I saw the reply!

Mackasfour

#5 Post by Mackasfour » 03 Jun 2010 13:28

XD hahahaha OWNED
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

spamel

#6 Post by spamel » 03 Jun 2010 13:37

Quite obviously, the site isn't being used as more are coming in and more spam posts are being made. It would seem the spambots are here to stay.

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#7 Post by Metal Fan » 03 Jun 2010 18:30

:mrgreen:
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Desert_Storm

#8 Post by Desert_Storm » 06 Jun 2010 15:17

this looks like a decent way to get rid of them
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

spamel

Re: Jordan Shoes

#9 Post by spamel » 19 Aug 2010 18:58

ptseo069 wrote:Jordan Shoes
cunt!

Desert_Storm

#10 Post by Desert_Storm » 25 Oct 2010 10:13

Raistlin Majere

#11 Post by Raistlin Majere » 25 Oct 2010 13:03

spamel wrote:This should be very handy for the Mods and Admin to stop the gits joining p and spamming the hell out of the forums. Check their IP or username against the list and if it comes up, don't allow their membership to be processed further. Add all of the monkey boys too that have been banned and hopefully one day we will be rid of these spam posts everywhere.
I just wanted to test this site and found that just a search in this site would give you that opqr660 is a spammer.
2009-08-31 10:26:20 113.67.70.66 opqr660 annaz@edhardy-wholesale.net

It has a good database!
----------------------------
If my post doesn't make sense, just consider that I post for postcount!

spamel

#12 Post by spamel » 25 Oct 2010 15:09

Raistlin Majere wrote:
spamel wrote:This should be very handy for the Mods and Admin to stop the gits joining p and spamming the hell out of the forums. Check their IP or username against the list and if it comes up, don't allow their membership to be processed further. Add all of the monkey boys too that have been banned and hopefully one day we will be rid of these spam posts everywhere.
I just wanted to test this site and found that just a search in this site would give you that opqr660 is a spammer.
2009-08-31 10:26:20 113.67.70.66 opqr660 annaz@edhardy-wholesale.net

It has a good database!
Which is why I suggested it. It's a shame the idea hasn't been taken up, surely it would be less work in the long run rather than deleting umpteen spam posts.

Webmaster
Site Admin

#13 Post by Webmaster » 25 Oct 2010 15:14

Is there phpbb integration for this yet?

Raistlin Majere

#14 Post by Raistlin Majere » 25 Oct 2010 15:21

----------------------------
If my post doesn't make sense, just consider that I post for postcount!

Led Guardian

#15 Post by Led Guardian » 19 Nov 2010 07:12

Is there any way to prevent a name consisting of 4 consecutive letters followed by 3 numbers from registering? If we could do that, it would really cut the spam problem, as most of the bots seem to use this formula, at least at the moment.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

spamel

#16 Post by spamel » 19 Nov 2010 13:54

I was under the impression that an account had to be OK'd by Admin or by a Mod. If they just took a few seconds to check the username and email address against the database it would tell them a lot about the person. Then they would stop a lot of the people getting in in the first place. Hell, if it is too much work, I'll do it! :roll:

Desert_Storm

#17 Post by Desert_Storm » 19 Nov 2010 20:50

Me too. I mean it wouldn't take much more than a few seconds, since most bots are easily identified by their name construction... and even if one out of a hundred still gets in, it would still make a huge difference. The only downside I can see is people who subscribe having to wait one or two days before being able to participate, but who (except spambots ;) ) would that really be a problem for?

Webmaster
Site Admin

#18 Post by Webmaster » 23 Nov 2010 10:56

Ok, I have disabled automatic user registrations. Now, I guess, I will get a mail when someone tries to register and then I will go to the URL above and check them out. Let's see how this goes. If it becomes way too time consuming then maybe I will have to ask someone for help.

Webmaster
Site Admin

#19 Post by Webmaster » 23 Nov 2010 12:50

HA! Already caught one spammer trying to sign up, banned his ass!

Desert_Storm

#20 Post by Desert_Storm » 23 Nov 2010 18:00

Webmaster wrote:HA! Already caught one spammer trying to sign up, banned his ass!
*applauds*

edit: already missed one? :wink:
rstu967 wrote:afford to Gucci handbags on sale believe around, and all cheap football jerseys joy, rapturous, but they approach best Gucci replica handbags the complained Chaixue Ning, a high quality Gucci replica handbags revelatory lie. After a nightlong pause, his eyes were wow gold red, tears fell perfect. It amazed, have admitted.

I think it's interesting what they write, I mean I get the links and Gucci/WOW tags to attract more results, but
After a nightlong pause, his eyes were wow gold red, tears fell perfect.? Does anyone get why they do that?

spamel

#21 Post by spamel » 23 Nov 2010 18:40

Webmaster wrote:Ok, I have disabled automatic user registrations. Now, I guess, I will get a mail when someone tries to register and then I will go to the URL above and check them out. Let's see how this goes. If it becomes way too time consuming then maybe I will have to ask someone for help.
Glad you've tried it out, if you do need help I can as I am home most days what with being one of the great unwashed. I wouldn't want to get involved in the rest of it though, done that once and I am apparently over zealous! lol

Webmaster wrote:HA! Already caught one spammer trying to sign up, banned his ass!
Go get 'em, tiger! :mrgreen:

Joost

#22 Post by Joost » 23 Nov 2010 19:29

Hrrm... I now also get an e-mail for every user who tries to register. To be honest, I'm not very happy with this. Also, I'm not sure if I feel like activating all users by hand (and, to be honest, I'm not very happy with my mailbox being flooded by these e-mails either), as I'm quite busy lately and I don't have that much time for administrating the forum.

Also, as I didn't hear anything about this whole thing until receiving these e-mails today, who is going to activate all of these users by hand? I assume everyone gets the e-mails when someone registers, but it would be a bit of a waste of effort if all of us check for all new users. But otherwise new users may be missed...

(To be honest, this was exactly the reason why I was opposed to activation by hand to begin with. This is more work for the admins than spambot deletion, as back then only a simple action had to be carry out for some of the users, and now we have to go through an effort for all newly registered users..)
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Led Guardian

#23 Post by Led Guardian » 24 Nov 2010 07:31

I think it's just the admins, as I do not get any emails for registrations.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Webmaster
Site Admin

#24 Post by Webmaster » 24 Nov 2010 07:54

Joost wrote:Hrrm... I now also get an e-mail for every user who tries to register. To be honest, I'm not very happy with this. Also, I'm not sure if I feel like activating all users by hand (and, to be honest, I'm not very happy with my mailbox being flooded by these e-mails either), as I'm quite busy lately and I don't have that much time for administrating the forum.
It isn't exactly a flood, is it. Plus you can just delete them, I will take care of everything. It was my decision to do things this way and I will handle the acceptance/banning of the new users. Trust me, I don't have tons of free time either, so if this becomes a burden I will return things to the way they were.

Webmaster
Site Admin

#25 Post by Webmaster » 24 Nov 2010 07:56

Plus vigilance is still required because all I do is compare against the database at stopforumspam.com. If they don't show up there then I activate the user.

Joost

#26 Post by Joost » 24 Nov 2010 09:35

I still don't get it, though... this is a lot more work than it used to be, isn't it? And spambots usually were removed within a day... Now we have the advantage of spammers not getting through at all but the possible disadvantage of users having to wait for a while before they can start posting (e.g. if you are away for a couple of days for some reason).

And we're not sure this will even get rid of all the spambots.

Perhaps this would be useful if all would be automated, but until then I don't really see the point in doing all of this.

Also, could you find a way to rid me of the constant supply of e-mails in my inbox every day?
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

End Of An Era

#27 Post by End Of An Era » 27 Nov 2010 09:40

Joost wrote:Perhaps this would be useful if all would be automated, but until then I don't really see the point in doing all of this.
that should be fairly easy IMHO, though i am not a programmer...
Joost wrote:Also, could you find a way to rid me of the constant supply of e-mails in my inbox every day?
DEMOTE HIS ASS :lol:

Led Guardian

#28 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Feb 2011 05:38

I hate spambots. So much. I just deleted almost 60 of them from this latest and most extreme invasion. I did notice something though: spambots only ever make posts on 1 page threads. So all we need to do to defeat them is make sure every thread has at least 2 pages. :P