previewing topics

Write here all your comments, suggestions, insults, whatever, about the Blind Guardian Official Homepage and the forum.
Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

previewing topics

#1 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 26 Mar 2009 02:05

ok,i've noticed several forums with this feature.

when you put the mouse over the topic you get a little tip with the first lines of the initial post.personally i think this is a great thing since probably after reading the tip you can decide wether the topic is worth getting into or just plain blah blah spam.After all,some topic titles are rather abstract,aren't they?so why bother getting in blindly if the topic starter didn't bother to be precise on his wording about what he want's to post?

How would this benefit the forum?less traffic,that's for sure,and so the forum would be a little more stable.

Just something i thought might be useful.and no,i don't think it's a "fancy" feature,and it wouldn't make it any more complicated to use the forum.

Anyways,c ya
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

End Of An Era

#2 Post by End Of An Era » 26 Mar 2009 09:51

less traffic, but more complicated programming thus bigger/better/faster servers needed, or the stability goes down.. :?

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#3 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 26 Mar 2009 19:09

End Of An Emo wrote:less traffic, but more complicated programming thus bigger/better/faster servers needed, or the stability goes down.. :?
you sure about that?i thought that could be changed from the forum's main configuration without major script changes actually.

End Of An Era

#4 Post by End Of An Era » 27 Mar 2009 10:07

nah i'm not sure, but it's a fact the forum has a simple layout as it is, therefore way less demanding. just pure locigal reasoning speaking here :P

Joost

Re: previewing topics

#5 Post by Joost » 24 Jun 2009 01:12

Just so you know, there are no plans of implementing this feature. It'd be a lot of effort, and I don't see any need for it really.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 26 Jun 2009 22:48

Well, it would be indeed nice, but if it's such a trouble to put it on, then scrap it, it's not essential....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Bender B. Rodriguez

#7 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 28 Jul 2009 16:46

ditto,cool but not essential

Knightrider of Doom

#8 Post by Knightrider of Doom » 28 Jul 2009 17:09

what about "open links in new window"? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was like that before, at least many forums use this and I think it's cool. Everytime I click on a link in this forum, and the link is not very interesting, so I close it, and then I'm like "wtf? where's my forum topic?" ...but I got used to it... anyway, just a suggestion, dunno if other people would like that though
fufufu~

Led Guardian

#9 Post by Led Guardian » 28 Jul 2009 18:05

i always just alt+<--, so it's easier for me as is. Opening topics in a new window would just get me overflowing with tabs.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Bender B. Rodriguez

#10 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 30 Jul 2009 15:01

Knightrider of Doom wrote:what about "open links in new window"? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was like that before, at least many forums use this and I think it's cool. Everytime I click on a link in this forum, and the link is not very interesting, so I close it, and then I'm like "wtf? where's my forum topic?" ...but I got used to it... anyway, just a suggestion, dunno if other people would like that though
well,in the old forum format(or software..) every external link i clicked on opened a new tab.now what i do is right click on the link and choose "open link in a new Tab",and voila.i'm using firefox btw,dunno how to do that with IE.

Knightrider of Doom

#11 Post by Knightrider of Doom » 31 Jul 2009 04:08

yeah, well I use Shift and mouseclick... I think in Firefox it's the same ass in Internet Exploder... but for this Shift-mouse-move I need my other hand, so I can't drink or wank or play PSP while browsing internet... :(
Maybe an option to enable this in the User control center would be cool :D
fufufu~

Led Guardian

#12 Post by Led Guardian » 31 Jul 2009 06:08

In Firefox:

Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> check "Open new windows in a new tab instead"

Done. Don't you feel silly now? :P
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Knightrider of Doom

#13 Post by Knightrider of Doom » 31 Jul 2009 15:19

Led Guardian wrote:In Firefox:

Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> check "Open new windows in a new tab instead"

Done. Don't you feel silly now? :P
I never feel silly when I post here lol :D
I don't wanna open all links from all websites in a new tab, just the ones on this forum ;P
fufufu~

Dark Jukka

#14 Post by Dark Jukka » 31 Jul 2009 16:09

For open the external link in a new tab, there is a small modification to do in the file style/subsilver2/template/overall_header.html

Add:

Code: Select all

<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
    // <![CDATA[
    // www.phpBB-SEO.com SEO TOOLKIT BEGIN
    // Open external links in new window in a XHTML 1.x compliant way.
    window.onload = function() {
       var current_domain = document.domain;
       if (!current_domain || !document.getElementsByTagName) return;
       var hrefels = new Array;
       var hrefelslen = 0;
       var hrefinner = '';
       hrefels = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
       hrefelslen = hrefels.length;
       for (var i = 0; i < hrefelslen; i++) {
          hrefinner = hrefels[i].innerHTML.toLowerCase();
          if ( (hrefels[i].href == '') || (hrefels[i].href.indexOf('javascript') >=0 ) || (hrefinner.indexOf('<a') >= 0) || (hrefels[i].href.indexOf(current_domain) >= 0) ) {
             continue;
          }
          hrefels[i].onclick = function () { window.open(this.href); return false; };
       }
    }
    // www.phpBB-SEO.com SEO TOOLKIT END
    // ]]>
    </script>
before

Code: Select all

</head>
And that's all

Sleeping Dragon

#15 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 09 Aug 2009 08:30

you can also use the middle-mousebutton, that's what works for me with explorer.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Bender B. Rodriguez

#16 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 10 Aug 2009 02:25

Sleeping Dragon wrote:you can also use the middle-mousebutton, that's what works for me with explorer.
works fine with firefox too,seems to be the easiest solution,i'm guessing all users here have a middle button on the mouse.

Curufin

#17 Post by Curufin » 20 Aug 2009 08:36

Yep, you can middle-click a link to open it in a new tab, and you can also middle-click a tab to close it :D
Official Blind Guardian Forum Tarot Pimp.

Visit http://www.curufin.com/bg for all of your Blind Guardian needs!

Bubbles everywhere, raise your hands into the air, we're bubblers, bubblers of the world!

Periaatteessa se tarkoittaa periaatteessa

blind-man

#18 Post by blind-man » 20 Aug 2009 10:41

Sleeping Dragon wrote:you can also use the middle-mousebutton, that's what works for me with explorer.
Cool! Living and learning...
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

Blastbeat

#19 Post by Blastbeat » 20 Aug 2009 14:04

cool, although its a new tab and not a new window, but i have more mouse buttons so I set 1 to shift xD