Reviving The Following...

A place for organizing the reviving of The Following - the biggest Blind Guardian fan site on the web!

Moderators: The Minstrel Knight LiGHT, Arwen Arianna

Bard

Re: Reviving The Following...

#151 Post by Bard » 03 Jul 2010 16:04

Have not been arround much lateley, it's summer and there is alot of beer to consume :P

Webmaster
Site Admin

#152 Post by Webmaster » 07 Jul 2010 08:50

Are any of you by chance WordPress experts?

The Minstrel Knight LiGHT

#153 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 09 Jul 2010 20:36

Webmaster wrote:Are any of you by chance WordPress experts?
I am. I've been running Wordpress for years now and know its internals pretty well.

As for the domain: I'll let you guys know when Robert contacts me next!
The Minstrel Knight LiGHT wrote:I admit defeat to Traez

robert

#154 Post by robert » 09 Jul 2010 23:07

hey everyone!

wow, it's been a while since i logged in to this forum. it's so cool to come back years later and still recognize a lot of names... BG definetely has a loyal fanbase!

daniel and me have kept the domain http://www.the-following.com for over two years, because we were convinced that someday there will come a time to revive the community. and i am so glad that this day, apparently, has come. after all, The Following has been the biggest online BG community that ever existed.

alright, i will contact daniel who, in the meantime, has become the official owner of the domain and we will let you know soon how to make the transfer as fluid as possible. we may even dig out our old archives and see what still can be used.

apart from that bureaucratic crap, i'd like to point out a few random things that have crossed my mind while reading some posts of this thread... of course, as you are going to be the new TF-crew, you should make your own decisions... but maybe you take some of this under consideration and trust on my experience from being the founder and creative mind of TF for many years.

1. the logo
the campfire has been the logo for TF and i still think it's a fitting symbol. place of gathering, of music, of nature, of festival and BBQ ;)

2. website's design
although i'm sure that it would be possible to completely rebuild the old webdesign, i'd advice you to go for something fresher, more modern. i am talking mostly about the under-the-hood-stuff, so the HTML, PHP, CSS. i'd use the new web-coding-standards. the old site was quite a mess with thousands of nested tables. don't do that :) as far as the graphics are concerned, i can provide all photoshop files, shirt designs and everthing else that i can find. but as said: try taking it a step further. make it fit BG's more modern approach to the music and their design.

3. don't expect anything
do it for the love of the music, not for getting acknowledgment from the band. the band is busy. there won't be much feedback.

4. take it serious :)
this is blind guardian. this is the following.

ok. i'll talk to daniel. maybe he has something else worth mentioning.

i guess it would be the best, if daniel contacted Aleksandar concerning the domain-transfer.

lastly: i just wrote an email to some other guys who were interested in reviving the community already some time ago. if they still are convinced of it, they'll surely join this discussion and the team, as well.

good! let's do it!
long live The Following :)

robert

#155 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 10 Jul 2010 02:11

robert wrote:1. the logo
the campfire has been the logo for TF and i still think it's a fitting symbol. place of gathering, of music, of nature, of festival and BBQ ;)
I agree! I wouldn't dream of changing it and I hope everyone else on the team feels the same way.
robert wrote:2. website's design
although i'm sure that it would be possible to completely rebuild the old webdesign, i'd advice you to go for something fresher, more modern. i am talking mostly about the under-the-hood-stuff, so the HTML, PHP, CSS. i'd use the new web-coding-standards. the old site was quite a mess with thousands of nested tables. don't do that :) as far as the graphics are concerned, i can provide all photoshop files, shirt designs and everthing else that i can find. but as said: try taking it a step further. make it fit BG's more modern approach to the music and their design.
This was was what I was thinking. I have yet to discuss any of this with the technically-minded members of our would-be team, but I don't see us not doing this. Personally, I've been thinking something along the lines of Django (awesome Python server backend) + AJAX + jQuery + PostgreSQL DB backend. I think something like Django is a must especially since a lot of people don't know how to program. The templating system is amazing, and you don't even have to be a programmer to work on the design, which beats the hell out of looking at a PHP and HTML mashup when you can't program. We can always discuss this later, though.
robert wrote:3. don't expect anything
do it for the love of the music, not for getting acknowledgment from the band. the band is busy. there won't be much feedback.
Of course!
robert wrote:4. take it serious :)
this is blind guardian. this is the following.
Of course!
robert wrote:i guess it would be the best, if daniel contacted Aleksandar concerning the domain-transfer.
For anyone wondering, my real name is Aleksandar, so don't worry, he's not giving the domain to some random person, heh.

Once everything is out of the way, I think we should begin by organizing meetings on IRC and getting started! :D

Traveller in Time

#156 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Jul 2010 09:20

I can support you as well. I know a bit PHP and CSS and i like to do graphics (although i am far no professional like Robert) My only problem is my lack of time. That's why nothing happened (Sorry :cry: ), so i am very glad if someone can manage all the stuff and can kick other's asses (inclusive mine) :twisted:

Word Press would be great, because less work for the administrator like on the old TF (i think Robert could tell you a lot).
If you need some donations for the webhosting stuff, i can help too.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

#157 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 10 Jul 2010 20:14

Traveller in Time wrote:If you need some donations for the webhosting stuff, i can help too.
I've got that covered for now, so no worries. I might set up a donations link in the future.

Cigoth

#158 Post by Cigoth » 10 Jul 2010 21:13

Great to actually hear from Robert himself. Thanks for the tips Robert! :D

Should we start by a meeting on IRC then?
Does IRC store the chat history? Else it would be rather difficult to get an overview of what's been planned and what not.

Or should we start by creating a development/discussion forum? The discussion of plans might be more clear that way as we could seperate everything in categories.

Django sounds like a good solution. Does it also have CMS functions or should we install an additional CMS next to Django?
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

#159 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 11 Jul 2010 08:41

Cigoth wrote:Should we start by a meeting on IRC then?
Does IRC store the chat history? Else it would be rather difficult to get an overview of what's been planned and what not.
IRC does not do this. For this sort of functionality we need a bot in the channel with all of us. I can easily set one up on one of my servers for this, but would prefer if someone who knew what they were doing do it instead of me. :D
Cigoth wrote:Or should we start by creating a development/discussion forum? The discussion of plans might be more clear that way as we could seperate everything in categories.
Having a central repository of code with a TODO list is fine. If you've got a source code versioning suggestion, by all means let me know and I'll set it up. I'm pretty good with Subversion, but I've wanted to learn Git or Bazaar for the longest time now. Organizing the code is the most important thing as all of the content isn't very centralized and many different people have different pieces here and there. For example, some people have lyrical analysis and others have pictures. Pooling all of that together before development is a good idea, but not something that's immediate I think...we haven't even started developing yet!
Cigoth wrote:Django sounds like a good solution. Does it also have CMS functions or should we install an additional CMS next to Django?
Django is a Python web framework, so there is no CMS. Everything is built from scratch. That said, it's remarkably intuitive and really easy to use to build web apps quickly. If you're a a programmer, check out the link below:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/

I suggest clicking on Model Syntax to see an example of how we interact with data in a database. It's really quite nice and beats anything a clunky templating language like PHP could offer.

wade-newb

#160 Post by wade-newb » 11 Jul 2010 10:17

And don't forget me :D As soon as you need something to be written in English, or you need me to take a photo of something... :roll: I'm not quite sure why you'd need that, but you never know! :mrgreen:

Also, any other odd jobs, I'll see what I can do :)
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Cigoth

#161 Post by Cigoth » 11 Jul 2010 15:53

The Minstrel Knight LiGHT wrote:Organizing the code is the most important thing as all of the content isn't very centralized and many different people have different pieces here and there.
Very true. Subversion would be a good VCS for the site. I have no experience with Git and Bazaar but they seem fine. I also heard some good things about Mercurial. I am not so experienced with VCSs so I have no particular preference, I think you should decide.

The forum idea was (for now) only intended to discuss the coding and the site structure. Adding a TODO list is good of course, but we should also have a discussion place to discuss what functions we need, how we are going to write it, who is going to write what, what plugins and CMSs we are going to use, etc.

And I like how Django interacts with the database. It looks more clear than the long and messy mysql functions from PHP. I think it would be good to consider using Django.

spamel

#162 Post by spamel » 12 Jul 2010 18:56

Oooh, I can do photos! I have one used on Snugpak's website (outdoor clothing company based in UK) but I will do them for here or The Following free of charge. I'll try and get some at the London gig later in the year, do you think The Bards might get me a backstage pass to do some shots? (wishful thinking!)
:mrgreen:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

bestpike

#163 Post by bestpike » 14 Aug 2010 21:18

Are there any news on reviving the Following or the spirit died again? :(
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

wade-newb

#164 Post by wade-newb » 14 Aug 2010 21:32

I was thinking the same thing every day, but I was too afraid that it might be true...

C'mon! We can't let the spirit of The Following die :(
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Cigoth

#165 Post by Cigoth » 15 Aug 2010 01:38

Well, I haven't seen The Minstrel Knight LiGHT for a while, and he was pretty much in charge of the webhosting and the domain transfer. I think we should wait to hear from him first. :|

But the spirit will always be alive! 8)

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#166 Post by Metal Fan » 19 Aug 2010 07:14

I'm still here, I just have no power right now. Give me a week or more and I'll be here. Also I have a file of pictures to use, I just have to ask.
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Arwen Arianna

#167 Post by Arwen Arianna » 19 Aug 2010 10:45

I just finished my last essay for university (kept me really busy unfortunately-.-) I'll pick up work on the diary again now... But for the programming and such we really need LiGHT :(
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!
Oh, and by the way.. Hansi is God :)
---------------------------------------------------
~Follower~ ~.:last.fm:.~~facebook~ ~Bardess~ ~Bardist~

Led Guardian

#168 Post by Led Guardian » 19 Aug 2010 19:20

I'm still available to have newly translated interviews sent to me. Just PM me here or on the Following temp forum.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Mahoora

#169 Post by Mahoora » 28 Aug 2010 15:06

Arwen Arianna wrote:I just finished my last essay for university (kept me really busy unfortunately-.-) I'll pick up work on the diary again now... But for the programming and such we really need LiGHT :(
you can concider me as your programming light!! 8)
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

Cigoth

#170 Post by Cigoth » 28 Aug 2010 22:12

Me too :D But LiGHT already bought the webspace and discussed the domain transfer with Robert. :|
I am not sure when he will come back, but if he doesn't we might have to take the project into our own hands.

bestpike

#171 Post by bestpike » 13 Sep 2010 10:51

It's been 2 months now, I think we can assume Minstrel is MIA. Maybe we should talk to Robert to see what's going on.
Forever to be free

Arwen Arianna

#172 Post by Arwen Arianna » 15 Sep 2010 21:46

hmm.. keep collecting infos + media and stuff like that, it can't hurt... to the contrary.
I'll try to contact LiGHT one of these days, should that fail, we should indeed consider alternatives... :S
"And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä"
Bpgk!

#173 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 19 Oct 2010 15:01

I'm most definitely not dead guys, but thanks for the vote of confidence! I also haven't been slacking off, and have been planning quite a bit of the back-end. The only thing I lack are graphic designers, and quite a few of you in this thread already volunteered for that. :)

To prove to you that I haven't been lazy, I'll show you the fruits of my labour! HUZZAH!

CLICK ME

Yes, that's right. We got the domain name! (Actually got it just yesterday.) I can set up a forum, or begin using Arwen's that's already set up to kick development into overdrive, but to be honest...I think a better idea would be to get a dedicated subsection on these forums. These forums, the Blind-Guardian fan forums, are just that. Forums for fans. Having a separate place for discussion pulls fans away and I think that's really counter-intuitive.

As always, I'll be idling away in #the-following at irc.freenode.net, as I have been for the past few months. I hope to see some of you there, if not, we can continue to use this thread for recruitment and whatnot.

Cigoth

#174 Post by Cigoth » 19 Oct 2010 23:24

Great to have you back LiGHT! :D Nice to see you got the domain name from Rob.

A dedicated subsection on these forums would be the best solution of course, but I am not really sure if the webmaster approves that.

If that's not an option I think it would be best to set up a forum on the new domain (phpBB by using Fantastico?) and get as many people as possible from here to there.
Maybe a mod could create a sticky thread with a link to the forums, that way it would get some attention.

Let's get the discussion going again in this thread.

Led Guardian

#175 Post by Led Guardian » 19 Oct 2010 23:36

The Minstrel Knight LiGHT wrote:I'm most definitely not dead guys, but thanks for the vote of confidence! I also haven't been slacking off, and have been planning quite a bit of the back-end. The only thing I lack are graphic designers, and quite a few of you in this thread already volunteered for that. :)

To prove to you that I haven't been lazy, I'll show you the fruits of my labour! HUZZAH!

CLICK ME

Yes, that's right. We got the domain name! (Actually got it just yesterday.) I can set up a forum, or begin using Arwen's that's already set up to kick development into overdrive, but to be honest...I think a better idea would be to get a dedicated subsection on these forums. These forums, the Blind-Guardian fan forums, are just that. Forums for fans. Having a separate place for discussion pulls fans away and I think that's really counter-intuitive.

As always, I'll be idling away in #the-following at irc.freenode.net, as I have been for the past few months. I hope to see some of you there, if not, we can continue to use this thread for recruitment and whatnot.
Google translate tells me your greeting in the new domain is in Indonesian. :lol:
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Arwen Arianna

#176 Post by Arwen Arianna » 20 Oct 2010 12:59

Great... :) :mrgreen:

I have my concerns when it comes to a subsection on the forum, though.. I mean.. everyone who wants to take part in this can simply look at this thread and follow the link to the external forum, I'm pretty sure these people would still post here nontheless (it's not like they only ever post in the "The Following" thread ;) ) I'm just afraid that a subsection would very soon become very messy with all the spamming... it might slow down the process quite a bit...
Bpgk!

#177 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 20 Oct 2010 21:43

We could always just use this thread, or create a new thread here instead of a full-blown forum. Maybe even get this or the new thread stickied...because seriously, I've been thinking and do we really need a full-blown forum for communication? There isn't a hundred people working on this, only about a dozen max...if that. Perhaps this is something we could vote on together as a group? I'll message the administrator so he can read the last few replies here and weigh in with what he thinks. Personally, I think the single stickied thread idea for communication is best, but we'll wait to hear from the admin.
Cigoth wrote:If that's not an option I think it would be best to set up a forum on the new domain (phpBB by using Fantastico?) and get as many people as possible from here to there.
Fantastico, shmantastico. I've got our own little virtualized server for this host. No shared web hosts for us! :)
Cigoth wrote:Let's get the discussion going again in this thread.
Agreed! Previously, we talked about roles. If we could confirm what everyone was doing again, that would be great. Speaking for myself, I'll be handling the server end of things, programming, and some of the writing (like lyrical analysis and whatnot) and anything else that needs doing. Here is a full list, and keep in mind, it's okay to have more than one person fill the role and that there really is no "application" (you're not applying for a job - this is supposed to be fun!).
  1. Translators
  2. People who can provide photos
  3. People who can provide tabs
  4. Writers
  5. Editors
  6. Programmers
  7. Graphic Designers (One of the biggest roles I think. If it looks half as good as the old Following, the site will be a huge success.)
  8. Anything that you feel you can contribute! (If you don't fit into a role and still want to help).
I'll be creating and assigning emails (@the-following.com) to everyone who wants to contribute. Once we sort out the roles (again), we can finally begin putting pieces together. There won't be an immediate need for anything as I need time set things up, but in the mean time we can definitely start gathering content like analysis, lyrics, interviews, photos, etc. Anyone else have any input on this?

Led Guardian

#178 Post by Led Guardian » 20 Oct 2010 22:35

I'm still willing to smooth out translated interviews into more sensible English.

Edain

#179 Post by Edain » 20 Oct 2010 22:56

I've got a shitload of Blind Guardian-tabs, so if you want to fill the section, just tell me.

And I could provide some more lyrical analysis and translations from German articles - my English isn't perfect, so Led will have something to do! ;)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

#180 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 29 Oct 2010 01:06

Pretty sweet stuff.

For now, it looks like the moderators are in favour of creating an extra subsection. I suspect that the moment it's created, more people will come in wondering what it's all about, and end up participating (hopefully). Those of you who have content, if you could hunt it down (external hard drives, darkest depths of your filesystems, etc), and organize it in a useable way, that would be awesome. That way, everything is ready to go. In about a week or two, I'm going to unveil the website skeleton. It'll literally be just that...text, with no graphics or anything. It'll be REALLY ugly, but at least it will be functional. :)

Little Dragon

#181 Post by Little Dragon » 29 Oct 2010 17:35

as i already said a dozen times: I'll do design and graphic and stuff ;)
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

bestpike

#182 Post by bestpike » 18 Jan 2011 16:13

What's the status on the reviving Minstrel?
Forever to be free

#183 Post by The Minstrel Knight LiGHT » 28 Jan 2011 19:31

I've always been alive, my friend. Just real busy. I apologize that I've been away for so long. For the past two months I've been working 12 hour days. It didn't help that there was a Christmas vacation thrown in the middle of that. However, just because I wasn't on the boards doesn't mean I wasn't active. I've been in #the-following @ Freenode every day for the past few months, but no one ever stopped in to chat. :( The reason I can do this is because I can run IRC at work. Anyway, this means that any of you could have gotten a hold of me any time.

As for the project itself, it's alive and well. After all, I did put money into it, so I intend on completing it. So don't worry about that. :D

To the graphic/web designers, you don't really need me to complete a design. Once you've made something, just start a new thread or something to get feedback.

The backend is just about ready, and I'll be launching things soon with a very clean (read: plain white) interface...until I get a better design. I've mimicked the things I liked from the old site (people selecting where they "hail" from and basically having their own bard profile) and I've added a few things of my own. Overall, I think you'll all like it.

Anyway, I'll try to post more, but if you ever need to get an immediate hold of me, I'll be on IRC.