Can you hear the compressed ones?

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Traveller in Time

Can you hear the compressed ones?

#1 Post by Traveller in Time » 06 Jun 2015 14:26

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... io-quality

Nice quiz and i am honest i had 1 point.... although using quite good headphones and a special audio card for pc (asus xonar)
But maybe it's because of the samples, i prefer metal ;)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Max

Re: Can you hear the compressed ones?

#2 Post by Max » 11 Jun 2015 15:15

Hey there,

I got 6/6 - I am really surprised (I bet I would not choose the same on a second try).
The hardest were JayZ (computer sound) and Suzann Vega (voice only).
With many instruments you can hear the lack of sonority/resonance (dont know which word is the best to use in English) by the compressed samples.

I used the "audio out" of laptop plugged in into a "aux in" from a radio with low volume.

Very interesting though is the idea of starting a streaming service with HQ. But I think, if you do not listen at home - there is no need for it (because of the noise outside).
Though, if you are at home and take your time to listen to the music (in order to hear the difference), would you listen to a stream (which can always lack in quality because of packet loss (udp), buffer, jitter, etc...) or stay with your cd/lp or whatever...?
Follow the blind
Your journey, your last hope, it can begin
These passing dreams were real no fantasy
There are more things than we know
Come take my hand

Led Guardian

Re: Can you hear the compressed ones?

#3 Post by Led Guardian » 29 Aug 2016 06:06

I got 5/6, but this just confirms my opinion that it doesn't really matter. If I weren't really paying close attention, I think the first voice only track is the only one I'd really notice. Funny you picked that out as one of the most difficult. The moment the uncompressed one started I was positive that was it. I agree about the Jay Z one though, that's the one I missed.

Sonority was also one of the things I listened for, and how I picked the classical. Coldplay it seemed like compression clipped a little off the high hat or whatever, and the echoey part in the middle of the Katy Perry song just sounded a little... deeper in the uncompressed version. So just little things, and only because I was comparing side by side and repeating tracks.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'