We have to reflect further on this

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Joost

We have to reflect further on this

#1 Post by Joost » 16 Aug 2012 23:24

Scene from Tuesday. Thomas and I went to the region of Kelheim, where there was an archaeological museum, some remnants of Celtic settlements (including a site of sacrifice, with a info point that, where you could press a button and then hear a story called "The Sacrifice" about a young Celtic girl who was allotted to be sacrificed in a ritual of human sacrifice), and also visited the Weltenburg monastery, where they had some excellent dark beer.

On the way back to Landshut, we were listening to an audio lecture about "philosophy as a way to life", examining whether and how we could use philosophy as a guide to our lives. According to Thomas -- who is much more of an expert on this than I am -- it sounded quite Heideggerian.

After a while, we saw a hitch-hiker on the side of the road. "Why not pick him up?", I asked Thomas.
"You think I should pick him up?"
"Hm... ... Why not?"
"So shall I pick him up"
"Yes"
During this short conversation we already were drove a hundred meters beyond the point where the hitch-hiker was standing, but we stopped, and he came running in our direction. The hitch-hiker seemed to be a somewhat eccentric guy who talked a lot German in a Bavarian accent I could understand very little of,

After a while, Thomas decided that, with the hitch-hiker still in the car, it was time to continue the philosophy lecture. I guess we probably must have all thought of each other as somewhat strange. Together with the hitch-hiker, we drove back to Kelheim, passed a town called Haidäcker (shedding some light on the etymology of Heidegger's name), and saw some very nice sun dogs. "Das ist cool", commented the hitch-hiker on the sun dogs.

Scene from Wednesday. We were going for a swim with Holger in Regensburg, and on our way to the swimming pool we continued listening to the philosophy lectures. Having parked our car, Thomas realized he had forgotten something in the car, so we went back to the car.

Back there, I noticed that the window of the car still was open. However, this being a modern car, we could not close or open the window the old-fashioned way, by rotating a handle, but only by pressing a button causing the window to open/close by electrical means. So the only way to close the window was to actually turn the ignition.

And so we did.

When we turned the ignition, the philosophy lecture started playing again -- automatically, continuing for the duration of one sentence:

"We have to reflect further on this".
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Sleeping Dragon

Re: We have to reflect further on this

#2 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 17 Aug 2012 16:05

see? this is why you need architects, to buy you guys some beer.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Joost

#3 Post by Joost » 17 Aug 2012 16:09

Sleeping Dragon wrote:see? this is why you need architects, to buy you guys some beer.
:D :D

Maybe the hitch-hiker was an architect? :P (I doubt it, though.)
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Dentarthurdent

#4 Post by Dentarthurdent » 24 Aug 2012 17:53

Did he buy you some beer?
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

West Virginia Mule

#5 Post by West Virginia Mule » 08 Sep 2012 05:46

The ending of the story shoulda had something like..."and his hook hand was wedged in the door handle!"

Then everyone around the campfire screams.
KILROY WAS HERE