Page 1 of 1

What has happened here?

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 23:51
by jedifart
A decade ago or so, this was a thriving community. Now I see posts from way back still on the first page.

I've only popped in here a handful of times over the past 7 or 8 years, but was a regular poster before that.

Did everyone leave because they missed me so much?

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 00:16
by Orodaran
No, because they knew you'd be back eventually :P

Well, I'd daresay that the downtime of the forum is due to being a no-news time for the band (a greatest hits doesn't draw THAT MUCH attention) added to the explosion in popularity of social networks. Forums tend to suffer from that....

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 00:27
by jedifart
Orodaran wrote:No, because they knew you'd be back eventually :P

Well, I'd daresay that the downtime of the forum is due to being a no-news time for the band (a greatest hits doesn't draw THAT MUCH attention) added to the explosion in popularity of social networks. Forums tend to suffer from that....
Hehe... I'll probably disappear now for another few years :P

I'm guessing that things like facebook have taken the value out of forums such as this. The only other forum that I've ever been a very poster on (metalireland.com) has been going downhill over the past few years too.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 01:03
by Joost
jedifart wrote:I'm guessing that things like facebook have taken the value out of forums such as this. The only other forum that I've ever been a very poster on (metalireland.com) has been going downhill over the past few years too.
Yes, unfortunately this seems to be true. :( I like the forums of olde (where there is real community going on) a lot more than Facebook, which basically seems mostly the equivalent of broadcasting one's narcissistic impulses.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 07:52
by t.a.j.
Now we hang out on facebook.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 11:28
by Sleeping Dragon
like all the cool kids

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 14:59
by Little Dragon
yeah. 8)

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 03:22
by jouzinka
Well, some of us still enjoy forums, apparently. 8)

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 04:37
by Palantyre
Forums are the bee's knees. Well, good forums are.
I don't really frequent that many forums that I'd have a good view of the big picture, but it does seem that the kind of smaller, sortof "niche" forums like this one are in decline somewhat.
Huge forums such as those of really big video game developers/publishers still bustle with activity, though they obviously don't have the same sort of communal spirit this place did in its heydays.

The Something Awful forums are going strong, too. That place is fantastic, in its own fucked-up way. :lol:

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 07 May 2012 15:37
by ThePKH
I'm still watching you people. Lurking around...
:shock:

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 11 May 2012 15:08
by Andreas
Despite my promising first year on this forum, I'm not that active here anymore.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:05
by Mackasfour
I still like to lurk here... good community.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 30 May 2012 21:38
by NDS
Almost a year and a half has passed since I last logged in here. It seems like every forum is dying.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 30 May 2012 21:50
by Lilyael
I still lurk but nothing ever happens and no-one posts :|

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 01 Jun 2012 04:10
by Mackasfour
I apologise :( I haven't been here as much as I should of

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 05 Jun 2012 15:26
by Bender B. Rodriguez
what i really miss is the Metal section full of new topics everyday.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 11:31
by Sarah
Gotta love a good ol'forum, fortunately, we're here and we keep the flame burning (says the girl who hasn't visited for aaaaaaages)

Damn i miss you guys

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 14:07
by Gandalf de Grijze
miss you too dear!

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 18:07
by End Of An Era
yeah.. I've talked with Little Dragon about an after-summer meet in Netherlands!

Housewarming/B-day/heersching meeting at my place :D

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 19:21
by wade-newb
On the plus side, you lot do seem like the Old Gods of this forum. The Ancients. Anyone who's signed up in the last two years knows that.
Even ol' Hansi Smurf... I miss that guy, actually :(

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 19:23
by Sleeping Dragon
We're not gods, we just have a cold.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 19:36
by wade-newb
Sleeping Dragon wrote:We're not gods, we just have a cold.
Not solving the Hansi Smurf problem...
Smurf... If you are there... If you're reading this... Please come back.
You'll get just as much hate as before, but it'll be so worth it.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 21:06
by End Of An Era
wade-newb wrote:Smurf... If you are there... If you're reading this... Please come back.
You'll get just as much hate as before, but it'll be so worth it.
Explain that to the mod/admin team:
http://blind-guardian.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=39767

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 00:32
by t.a.j.
End Of An Era wrote:yeah.. I've talked with Little Dragon about an after-summer meet in Netherlands!

Housewarming/B-day/heersching meeting at my place :D
Sounds good to me.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 09:17
by Little Dragon
wade-newb wrote:On the plus side, you lot do seem like the Old Gods of this forum. The Ancients. Anyone who's signed up in the last two years knows that.
Jess and the Ancient Ones is a really good band, you know? :mrgreen:

on the other hand: this makes me feel old. :?

but then again: PAHTEY! \o/

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 09:27
by Gandalf de Grijze
a wizard is never ancient, nor is he young, he is precisely the age he means to

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 15:28
by t.a.j.
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:a wizard is never ancient, nor is he young, he is precisely the age he means to

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 18:58
by jedifart
Little Dragon wrote: Jess and the Ancient Ones is a really good band, you know? :mrgreen:
Yep, they're pretty good.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 22 Jun 2012 05:50
by Led Guardian
End Of An Era wrote:
wade-newb wrote:Smurf... If you are there... If you're reading this... Please come back.
You'll get just as much hate as before, but it'll be so worth it.
Explain that to the mod/admin team:
http://blind-guardian.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=39767
I only wielded the banhammer against the now extinct spambots, but I would definitely cast a veto against this motion. If I never see his nonsensical posts again (and I'm pretty sure I won't), I will be satisfied.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 22 Jun 2012 17:22
by Joost
I think this actually must have been pretty much the only ban on this forum (other than spambots, who seem to have a hard time figuring out the title of the fourth BG album) in a bunch of years...

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 23 Jun 2012 00:41
by Gandalf de Grijze
and a justified one at that, in my humble opinion...

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 10:30
by Andreas
So the guy from India who said everything and everyone is gay and should die and especially Israel, never got banned? If he got banned, I think that was more justified than Hansi Smurf. At least he was harmless. Boring and annoying, but harmless.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 17:07
by Sleeping Dragon
well, what's wrong with everyone being gay? or killing off all the Israelis, for that matter.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 22:49
by Led Guardian
Andreas wrote:So the guy from India who said everything and everyone is gay and should die and especially Israel, never got banned? If he got banned, I think that was more justified than Hansi Smurf. At least he was harmless. Boring and annoying, but harmless.
I vaguely remember this, and I'm pretty sure he did get banned.

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 03 Aug 2012 16:06
by Lorn_Songster
This is for talking relaxedly . Im not relaxed at all so I SHALL DO NOT SPEAK :!:

Re: What has happened here?

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 01:57
by Drahcir
Yes, I also noticed this. I used to post here 6 years ago under a different username (I forgot my username and password), and I realized that this forum isn't as active as it once was. Neither are other metal band forums which I once frequented.