2011: Reflections on a year gone by

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Gandalf de Grijze

2011: Reflections on a year gone by

#1 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Dec 2011 18:56

The time has come for reflections, as it comes every year around this time, and as I always say, a good tradition deserves to be honoured. I've always enjoyed reflecting on the past year, because in hindsight you may be able to see certain things in perspective. The current year has been a busy one, lots of things happened, lots of things changed, and lots of things stayed the same.

As usual I'll recap my year, divided in various sub-categories. As always I'd like to suggest you reflect you own life, share it if you like, don't if you don't.

Love
My most important category, as you all know.
At the first of January I already had the feeling that something was going to happen in this area, and it would be something positive. Well, something happened, something that I still maintain as positive, although the positive outcome isn't there (yet??).
After the summer holidays I returned to university and found a beautiful young woman in my class, I had talked to her already before summer, but only once sadly... She turned out to be, if I may say so, as perfect as a person can be. Needless to say I fell in love, sadly my timing seemed off as she had just started a relationship with someone else.
I personally still maintain that there is a very special connection between her and me and that, in time, I might be able to call this endeavour a complete success.
Oh well, since I cannot predict the future, I can only say this with absolute certainty: Time will tell!

Friends & family
It seems that spending time with friends is difficult, most of my friends live in different parts of the country, and getting together is like having a huge jigsaw puzzle but missing some key pieces.
At the beginning of the year there was a pretty heavy party/concert period in which a group of my friends, with me, saw each other every week for a month and a half. But the rest of the year it seemed difficult getting the gang together.
As for the family, well, it is pretty much a status quo.

Work & study
Work is boring, basically just work one or two days a month, and it is boring work. But at least it brings in some extra money.
Studies are going well, especially the current semester. Thanks to the aforementioned lady in my class I found new motivation and new energy to put into the study, working together with her and another great gal helped me in getting better results than I would have expected.

Music
Musically it has been a pretty good year. Seen Saxon OD and the world famous Saxon live, seen Judas Priest again, finally made it to my 20th Blind Guardian concert (which sadly was among the worst I've seen played by them).
Discovered the beautiful and talented Fabiana Dammers, whose voice touched me from the moment I first heard her. Seen an incredibly impressive gig from Steven Wilson in Paradiso, definitely among the best ever. Roger Hodgson was legendary at the Bospop festival, playing all the Supertramp classics.
But topping the concert list is Roger Waters with his live performance of The Wall. Damn that was one awesome show!
As for CD’s, well there were some that are worth mentioning:
Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa – Don't Explain
Black Country Communion – 2
Steven Wilson – Grace For Drowning
These three are for me the best CD's made this year.

World
Well, a lot changed, there have been rebellions in various Islamic countries leading to government changes. But in general the government is the only thing that changed, the circumstances of living and such remained as bad as they were, or sometimes even deteriorated.
The economic crisis in Europe continues to plague countries and banks. But at least we got rid of Berlusconi in Italy, now all we must hope for is for decent people to be elected when the next elections come...
As every year, some people will be dearly missed. Amongst those that passed away I'd like to call attention to a few famous people that I will miss because they passed away too early.
Gary Moore (blues-musician, 58years)
Wouter Weylandt (Cyclist, 26years)
Andrew McDermott (Metal-musician, 45years)
Cock de Jong (rock-musician, 55years)

Expectations and resolutions
2012 will be the year in which we all die, according to the Mayans... Also will it be the year of the summer Olympics in London. For me personally it will be the year of the truth. I will enter my final year of studies after summer, but before that there are big personal things waiting. How that will work out? I have no clue, usually I have a pretty good gut-feeling about things, my gut has never been wrong. But for the near future, I simply don't know.
My resolution is the same every year: I'll try to better myself as a human being. Something that I think I can say I'm pretty successful at, but never successful enough.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

Re: 2011: Reflections on a year gone by

#2 Post by Orodaran » 24 Dec 2011 19:27

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:2012 will be the year in which we all die, according to the Mayans...
No: according to those who very arbitrarly and with many clueless assumptions interpreted the simple end of a Mayan calendar :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

t.a.j.

#3 Post by t.a.j. » 24 Dec 2011 21:49

It was the shittiest year so far. It was so shitty, even my toilet broke. If it had been any shittier, I would have needed to resort to a bucket. It also sucked. There were some nice things, but they're hard to make out through the smell and all.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

t.a.j.

#4 Post by t.a.j. » 24 Dec 2011 21:49

Still the goddamn Batman, though.

End Of An Era

#5 Post by End Of An Era » 24 Dec 2011 22:04

I was waiting for this post to come along :D I too enjoy this little tradition started by... Gandalf de Grijze IIRC... and will join just as other years obviously! :D

Love
Ah.. love.. Paradoxically I have developed a love/hate relation with love itself. It's hard to find love and even harder to lose it again I feel. At the end of 2010 I recapped on a emotionally desolate year and 2011 has been a turmoil of emotions falling over themselves. I still haven't figured out what to do with my feelings, the situation won't let me and on the same moment I fear every day I postpone to make serious steps is one day of losing the love I want. Dammit, why am I such a romantic fool! Love would be so much easier if I was more superficial. Alas, as my blood runs deep red inside me heart, so do these feelings of belonging with someone, wanting to share my life and my experience with that one special person...

Friends
It's been rough. As all other years I've participated in this display of on-line emotional streaking and repeat this year: "I haven't seen my friends enough this year and I should make it my NY resolution to visit/contact them more often" But hey, isn't that what makes friends friends? No matter how often or how few you see them, they're always there for you, willing to lend a helping hand, a pat on the back or a kick under the ass. So in that perspective, it has been a good year because I still have felt these moments with my dear friends. Therefore I will not say I will visit my friends more often, I think a big 'thank you' to all my friends is more appropriate, because they have been there for me this year same as all other years. My friends, I hope you feel the same about me as I do about you.

Family
Yeah.. I've been growing apart from a few family members. Mainly because they're in a different stage in their lives: my brothers and sisters are all older and have steady relations and children. I on the other hand am still a drifter looking for his place in this grown-ups world. The pieces of the puzzle will soon fall into place, but I hope we're all be able to close the gap which has been growing the last few years. I am I, and they are they, it can be hard to live with the differences.

Study
Ha! I finished! I made it a personal goal to finish with a big FU to a select group which made it harder than necessary for me to complete my bachelor in engineering and I succeeded. FU, you know who you are! :twisted:

Work
Sometimes it just all works out perfectly. Exactly that has happened for me and my current job. I started February this year and it was great from the start. My chef and CEO has been very helpful and a driving force in developing the skills I need for my job. I fit right in with the rest of the team and have a great time doing the things I was hired to do. My co-workers are all great personalities and together we drive each other to perform at the best of our capabilities. Amazing what a positive atmosphere can do for you, I have learned so much and keep on learning loads every day. Lovely!

Music
It has been a great year music-wise. Listening to loads of new bands and I noticed my preferred genre in metal shifting towards Thrash.
Well, that's all fine and stuff but I feel I need to mention my band more. Seven Steps of Denial is on a roll. In August we found our new guitarist after almost a year of searching and trying and since he joined us things have been made a amazing turn for the best. Since he has entered we have felt more energetic and see more results from our effort. Not only in writing new songs and developing ourselves as musicians but also in arranging shows. Best part is, we have some very interesting developments which I do not want to disclose at this point due to the sensitive and fragile nature of the contacts. Could it be Seven Steps of Denial will grow to be one of the better known Dutch metal bands? I can only hope so, until that day we just keep on rocking and enjoy every moment of it.

World
...still turning...

no, I'm not doing it this year. I do not want to jinx anything :P

t.a.j.

#6 Post by t.a.j. » 24 Dec 2011 22:21

As for expectations: I might actually finish my studies next year and realize my long held dream of becoming the shouting front arse of a black metal band. Fuck.

Sarah

#7 Post by Sarah » 25 Dec 2011 04:24

Alrighty then ! I can barely remember whether i replied this thread last year. Anyway, I'm on nightshift right now and it's desperately quiet. So here it is.

Love
Still single, and not minding it. The more it goes, the better i understand that it's not something i should worry too much about. It took me a very very veeery long time to get comfortable with who i am, and some sort of capacity to feel attractive. But I don't get to meet guys whom I'd find interesting in this way. I do know they must exist though. Once I met a guy who was absolutely perfect for me. It didn't work out, but the fact that this happened once makes me believe it can happen again. I'm happy with myself and enjoying it. It's only a matter of time, and I've got more priorities at the moment.

Friends & family
I came back from 27 months travelling this February. Started out by surprising my family, and catch up with as many friends as possible. It's been awesome. As Marcel mentionned, real friends are the ones you feel like you never left, no matter how much time went by. Since i moved back to Paris, I've been seeing quite a few friends from uni, and with some, that i used to see on a daily basis when we were all in the South of France, and it's actually feeling like we've never been apart. And that's awesome. But many things changed, mostly with couples that hooked up while i was gone. It's kind of weird. But all in all, a really good year friendwise. Even if it's hard to keep in touch with all the people i met while travelling. It's only a matter of time ;)

Work & study
Study's been done for a while now. I got really lucky to get a job quickly thanks to a good friend, and it pays enough and it's really interesting. I'll be applying for a press card next week, achieving my official entrance in the wonderfully crisisstruck world of journalism. Things are looking bright, i just need to find more work to be able to get a real place of my own. There again, it's just a matter of time :)

Music
Not the most active year musicwise, even though i did overstay my Australian visa just to be able to attend the Andrew WK gig in Melbourne. Missed BG, Metallica and a shitload others in Oz, missed Dark Tranquility, Prince, Opeth (but apparently they sucked), Paul MacCartney and a few others playing in Paris. I'm glad my friend Tib (who was shortly on this forum a long long time ago) is finally calling himself a musician, and that his band is slowly but surely picking up.

World
Quite a lot going on (but not tonight), and it's buying my food. Can't complain, it's been really interesting. I miss going there myself though. Miss travelling. But it will all come in time !

Get more work to get more money. I kinda have a freelance status so it's not easy, but doable. I'd like to pick up Swedish language too, and get better at skiing. And learn to play ice hockey. And return to the Netherlands, Wacken, this sort of thing.
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Dec 2011 21:45

Sarah wrote:Alrighty then ! I can barely remember whether i replied this thread last year. Anyway, I'm on nightshift right now and it's desperately quiet. So here it is.
Get more work to get more money. I kinda have a freelance status so it's not easy, but doable. I'd like to pick up Swedish language too, and get better at skiing. And learn to play ice hockey. And return to the Netherlands, Wacken, this sort of thing.
oh yeah!!! i miss you honey!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#9 Post by Orodaran » 26 Dec 2011 13:33

Let's give it a try...

Love

D'uh, I'm on a metal board and all I have to quote is Bon Jovi.

Well it's no big secret so forget all you heard, love ain't nothing but a four letter word
For some is the better, for else is the worse, love ain't nothing but a four letter word

Friends & family

Gained some friend along the way by sort of getting part of the fanbase of an italian folk metal band... their concerts by now are just a big giant excuse for aggregations and seeing people, the music (which still kicks ass) comes after :wink:

As for the family, the Grim Reaper came knocking, but luckily doctors who slaved their ass off studying medicine were able to tell him to piss off and come back at a (hopefully) very later date. Will come back later on this, at the end...

Work & study

Too old to study! Work is still the same, therefore... so far, so good. I hope to be doing what I'm doing at the end of 2012 as well, I like it (and I hope the crisis does not sweep away the company or shit like that).

Music

The little OCD part in me feels robbed to try to analize music in a year where I haven't kept track of what came out. I still dearly love going to concerts, and I've seen a couple of non metal ones this year, but the highlight HAS to be what I dubbed "the 2 weeks of the gods": in 14 days I have seen Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Metallica, beat that! :P for music more in general, I'm continuing to be a, dunno, "eclectic metalhead".... I still listen to the old metal bands of which I'm a fan since some time, but for new stuff, I go looking for other kinds of music; folkish stuff, post-rock stuff, weird stuff... I'm ready to be blown away by some traditional metal, but I don't actively go looking for it. Old stuff I love since I was a teen like Maiden, BG, Helloween.... bring it on anytime... but I have no interest whatsover in trying to listen to an upcoming power metal band that has all songs with double bass and the singer pretending to be Kiske. Give me something diverse, even non metal, instead (the big discovery for me of this year, for example, was a folk - country - rock musician from Italy that sings in the dialect of his region, nearby a lake).

World

Thanks to the politicians of Italy, I have grown apathic to it all... especially the crisis... I'm disgusted with the entire italian political system and I have to admit I know shit about economy and finance; if I'd knew, I'd probably be pissed at the bankers and would like everyone to follow Iceland's example (didn't they send to jail their bankers or something? with nobody talking about it, I don't believe in the NWO conspiracies but fuck those who come closer to embody this, fuck all of them and their ivory towers).

Well, as I was saying before, having the Grey Lady knocking very near to home helped to remember what's truly important in life, which is....... life. Yeah, we all deal with the usual things we all complain about; work sucks, there's traffic, people are whining, the crisis, I'm single, bla bla bla..... nothing wrong with that, everyone has a right to be annoyed by whatever they feel annoyed, but in the end, what truly matters is being alive. While you're alive you can potentially achieve whatever you want to do and be anything you want to be.... people hardly accomplished something when they were dead :wink:

So that's the expectation for 2012: being alive and reaching 2012. And the resolutions? never made and never will, but I'd just guess that a resolution could be, well, to continue to live... and do whatever makes me happy and enriches my earthly experiences.

One should not fear death; one should fear to not live. So that's my way to wish you all a nice 2012, be alive and live!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Sentinel

#10 Post by Sentinel » 29 Dec 2011 15:25

Yeah, it's finally back! :D
I missed out on the last thread, simply because I was way too busy getting things right and done in my life.
Though I usually stuck to the categories given by Gandi, this time I will simply put everything in one text.

Where to begin? As some of you might remember (at least those who participate and read this kind of thread annually), I was quite displeased with my life back in 2010. Though I had a job and earned good money, the daily routine and tasks became boring, up to the point where I found myself skiving off work more and more. I drank too much, gained lots of weight, lost interest in most things I was into. I knew, I was going into the wrong direction, I knew that I felt miserable, I did know the reasons...and I also knew that a job-related reorientation was the way out of it all.
In mid-2010 I finally found the right studies for me, a crossover of music, media and arts. Being a music-lover and having played the piano for more than 12 years, this course of studies seemed to fit perfectly with my interests. Still, it was a long way till I finally wrote my application. It meant to leave my family, all my friends and my freshly obtained flat behind, not to neglect my age. Starting life all over again in your mid-twenties??!
Fortunately, I was in a healthy long-distance relationship, and the girl was living close to my university. At the end of 2010 I quit my job, moved together with my girlfriend and began my studies in Marburg.
What should I say? I'm fucking loving it! This course is everything I dared to wish for and beyond!
Back to normal weight, quite succesful with my courses, balanced, happy and found new friends. With great risk comes great reward, it seems.
Personally, 2011 was one of the best years in my life.

edit:
Reading my post again, I recognize that it offers not the least bit of information about 2011, thus failing the thread's actual purpose...

Love
My relationship heads to its 5th year in March. Though moving together with my gf (see above) was a huge step and a big challenge, we somehow endured the (not so few) bad days and problems. University and side job are timekillers and her being a nurse, working 12h shifts, does not improve the whole situation. By now, we finally found back to what's most important in our relationship and seize every hour we can spend together. The fire is still there. ;)

Friends & family
I lost contact with most of my old friends, simply because at one point we went seperate ways. Luckily, the guys and gals in my course are as crazy about music as I am, and a total win!
The relation to my parents slowly begins to crackle, mainly because of the goddamn money. Almost accordingly, my brother and I are as close as never before.

Work & study
My side job brings money, nothing more to add. Studies are going very well, in fact better than I had expected.

Music
I discovered lots of new bands and rediscovered my love to classical music. The few festivals I attended were the awesomeness, and I'm looking forward to the next festival season.

World
Like every year:
World's still turning and being abused by the ignorant, stupid and greedy animal that is called "human".

Resolutions
Getting in shape again!
Last edited by Sentinel on 30 Dec 2011 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

ra me nivar

#11 Post by ra me nivar » 30 Dec 2011 10:57

2011 is fading behind with a red glow as 2012 comes at full bluish speed: the Doppler Effect is painting my time.

Because after all I don't care that much about 2011, it's a shit year by definition (shitty years are those where there isn't neither World Cup nor Eurocup) and damn, in 2012 I'm going to have my first book published, and that focus all my expectations right now.

So:

Love: four years with my girlfriend and adding up. Her resistance or blindness have epic proportions. Still having fun like in the first day, if not more. And by "fun" I could be meaning "sex", not being explicit to avoid envies, you know.

Friends & Family: 0 relatives died this year, that's a win! 0 friends died this year, which is also a win and a serious improvement. I also got some feedback from long time gone friendships, though one of them was cancelled by mutual agreement.

Work & study: I think someone is bugging with me at work, always screaming "there is a crisis out thereee!" whenever I whisper how nice would it be to earn some more money. Seems like the first step for a strategy to keep my payment down when the next possibilite of a raise comes this spring. So maybe next year I'll try to switch jobs. In the meantime I'm happy where I am, the people is nice, the work isn't hard, and I have plenty of time to waste researching stupidities, which sometimes I think is the main goal of my life: my Holy Quest.

Music: as every year since 2001 I had been assaulted from time to time by the thought that I was no longer so interested in music as before. as every year since 2001, these thoughts had led to intense researching, purchasing, downloading and enjoying, so it's the same of every year. The biggest surprise for me had been Omnium Gatherum: I did listen to them years ago and I didn't like them at all, but this year's album, New World Shadows, blew my mind. I had been listening it on repeat mode for four weeks in a row, something I hadn't done in 10 years or so.

World: I'm divided between depression and optimism. Depression comes when I think that this is the only age I had news about where all the ideologies had been proven wrong (and, even worse, the leading one, Capitalism, had been proven wrong to be replaced with... itself!). Optimism comes after thinking that maybe someone will figure something new or, at least, we will become pissed enough to purchase some kalashnikovs and do some decent revolutions, as I have had enough dancing and partying protesters by now.

Expectations and resolutions: to see my book on a big store, to write the next one, to have a child, to die happy and late, and to learn to cook paella, as it is about damn time right now. Also, as the next year isn't shitty, I expect Villa to remain injuried and/or nor playing the Eurocup and to have Soldado replacing him: it is also damn time to see Spaing playing with a killer frontman ahead. And speaking of football, it also would be nice to see the Real Madrid winning the Champions Leage.

Lilyael

#12 Post by Lilyael » 30 Dec 2011 22:34

Love
finally organised half a wedding, boy as a pastime does that suck. We've been together 6? 7? (I forget) years now.

Friends
I find it sad, annoying, and downright shameful that I have to go as far as fucking RUSSIA to get a decent conversation....here, I have friends but if I went to the moon for five years and then came back, they won't have moved. But I did make some awesome friends from other parts of the country, I just don't see them very often.

Family
Found out my Dad isn't my Dad. He didn't bother to tell me, just blackmailed my Mum into telling me. My Dad is a Greek. I don't even know his name. I am from the kind of family I despise.

Work and StudyWork - still have job :)
Study - Took up Russian and Latin, to add to Finnish and Gaelic. Bummed on the History degree - can't afford it. The grant I would get wouldn't even come close to helping. Plus have to face the fact that I have no time, I'd be pushing it to study that much.

Music
Discovered some awesome bands, wish I knew about them sooner. Have finally got over my dislike of death vocals, heh! I don't know people who like what I like, so I have to search things out for myself. Thank the gods for youtube! Only gig was Turisas, but it's all about the quality not quantity, right?

World
Have decided to actually get out, use my passport since it cost so much, and see the world, or the bits of it that are easily flown to on easyjet....dream is to get to Finland but will have to save up for that, starting today as it's payday :)

Resolutions
Don't make those as a rule, unless they're something along the lines of 'right, I've started this so now I'm going to finish it'.....
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan