Languages

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Lilyael

Languages

#1 Post by Lilyael » 24 Sep 2011 00:25

Anyone else learning any? If so, which, and why?
Currently for me: Latin, Finnish, and Russian. Latin, because I have to for my degree, and the other two....because I can. I hope to revisit my Gaelic in the future, and perhaps have a look at Icelandic and Welsh too.
Language skills aren't taught here in schools now, and I think that's a shame.

I don't have enough to do, clearly... :mrgreen:
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: Languages

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Sep 2011 08:04

Well, in highschool i was taught, besides dutch: english, french and german.
Now i'm studying italian, and do a bit of spanish from time to time on the side.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

End Of An Era

#3 Post by End Of An Era » 24 Sep 2011 08:47

no, but i would love to pick up sign language. Can't free the time ATM though :(

Insanity

#4 Post by Insanity » 24 Sep 2011 08:49

German is my native language. I learned English and French in high school, which probably had me study those two in college as well. I tried to learn Spanish while I lived in California, but learning a foreign language in the U.S. just isn't cut out to yield great results. I took a semester of Dutch while in college and now have made it to the European A2 level of Swedish (and am planning to continue studying the language).

wade-newb

#5 Post by wade-newb » 24 Sep 2011 18:38

English is my home language, but I'm also pretty good at Afrikaans (baby-Dutch :P) and IsiZulu
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Joost

#6 Post by Joost » 24 Sep 2011 18:53

Let's see... Dutch is my native language. In high school I learned English, German and French (although my French really sucks), but also Latin and Ancient Greek. Some time later, I learned quite a bit of Swedish -- largely self-taught, but enough to understand very large parts of written Swedish and a moderate amount of spoken Swedish. And, since I now have the crazy plan to take the Trans-Siberian Railroad next summer, through Mongolia to Beijing, the current plan is to learn at least a bit of Russian and Chinese in the meanwhile. :)

I have quite a fascination with languages, so there are quite a few languages I know some basic things about (e.g. Japanese, Welsh, Irish, Finnish, Icelandic, Turkish), but in most cases I didn't really get beyond the very basics, and knowing some things like peculiarities of the grammar. And of course there's some languages I can understand good bits of because of their similarity to languages I know (e.g. Frisian, Afrikaans, Plattdeutsch because of their similarity to Dutch/German, but also Danish and Norwegian due to their similarity to Swedish).
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Isis65

#7 Post by Isis65 » 26 Sep 2011 01:31

Italian is my language (even if I prefer the Tuscan dialect), at school I've learned french and latin, travelling I've learned some spanish, portugues, russian, arabian and hindi....I've never learned english, but is one of the most common language in the world, so I can understand something....(I'm not sure people can understand me)
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Envinyatar

#8 Post by Envinyatar » 27 Sep 2011 11:45

Well, German is my native language. So much about that :)
In school I learned English and French. English I still use in daily life because I have lots of English-speaking friends and that helps a lot, and French... well haven't used that for years and forgot a lot.
Otherwise I can get quite far with Finnish and Swedish (first some self-study for a few years, then at university for about 5 years and lived in Finland for some time). Studied Estonian afterwards which isn't so difficult if you know Finnish and now I'm struggling with Hungarian which I don't really like, but maybe that's going to change.
Bubbles everywhere, raise your hands into the air, we're bubblers, bubblers of the world!
"Do you know what an aqueduct is?" - "It has something to do with water..." - "And...?" - "A duck?!"
"If I could speak the language of rabbits, they would be amazed, and I would be their king." -Raj
"The future is like a Japanese game show. You have no idea what's going on."
"Is space hot?" - "Of course it is, where else do you think we get pineapples from?"

Paha tipu!
Concert photography -> StageShots.net

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#9 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 28 Sep 2011 16:08

i'm a native Portuguese speaker,but as years pass and i never go back to Brazil(not even for vacation purposes),i'm kinda rusty...my Spanish is great,my parents taught me while i was a kid and i was forbiden to speak portuguese at home...so yeah..that and the fact that spanish is Chile's primary language.as for english,i learned a lot while living in canada in my teenage years,though i have learned a lot more watching movies,series,cartoons and of course,the internet.

i'd like to learn french,it's kind of my obsession lately,guess i'll take a course or something...meh...russian would be nice too.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Maedhros

#10 Post by Maedhros » 09 Oct 2011 03:27

Salut! My own language is french. I have learned english(mainly at school) and now i am learning deutsch(by myself) since about 1 year. really interesting. Hope to learn more languages in the future.
Vive le Québec Indépendant, vive la France et vive l'Allemagne!

ra me nivar

#11 Post by ra me nivar » 17 Oct 2011 15:07

Languages! Oh yeah: I'm trying to learn Haskell, right now.

And I know ho to say "fuck you" in two ways in japanese and "go fuck your mother" in russian, though I don't have any clue of how would that be written.

And of course I know a couple of words in spanish, like esparadrapo and chancla.

Dragon Guardian

#12 Post by Dragon Guardian » 14 Feb 2012 17:11

In high school I studied Spanish and Latin (which I mostly forgot unfoirtunately).

Lilyael

#13 Post by Lilyael » 23 Feb 2012 22:48

Nice to see what everyone's learning/can speak.
I'm fascinated with languages as a tool for understanding cultures and historical links, especially as English draws on a fair few - if only I'd realised how much Danish we English (especially the Northers) can actually understand, I might have picked that up a bit sooner as well! Picked up a fair bit of Czech in the last 3 days too. It's not hard to if one pays attention, yet I know people who have made regular trips to places and cannot even say 'hello' in that language. Slack...
Of course, most of the languages I'm interested in are no bloody use outside the countries they're native to, and in any case most people speak English, but that's not the point!
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

t.a.j.

#14 Post by t.a.j. » 23 Feb 2012 23:40

German native, fluent in English, enough dutch to survive there.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Andreas

#15 Post by Andreas » 24 Feb 2012 01:44

Dutch is my first language, and I love it. Almost half of my life I need to speak English to communicate with fellow football players in my football teams. I'm fairly good at German, my French can be decent too. I also followed a course Spanish, I think I can find my way back home from there. I'd like to learn that language a bit more though.

Sleeping Dragon

#16 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 24 Feb 2012 08:22

i have hebrew as a native language, fluent english, spoken arabic and a bit of deutsch and yiddish.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Little Dragon

#17 Post by Little Dragon » 24 Feb 2012 10:06

i discovered that i'm able to understand some french words. but i never learnt it. must be all the french food i eat!
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Dentarthurdent

#18 Post by Dentarthurdent » 24 Feb 2012 12:18

Yiddish. Best lingo there is. Need to learn that.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Gandalf de Grijze

#19 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Feb 2012 12:51

I also learnt a small bit of Hittite cuneiform
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Little Dragon

#20 Post by Little Dragon » 24 Feb 2012 15:46

I tried norse!
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Isis65

#21 Post by Isis65 » 07 Mar 2012 12:24

Little Dragon wrote:i discovered that i'm able to understand some french words. but i never learnt it. must be all the french food i eat!
mmmm...well, I don't think...I don't understand any chinese word, but chinese is one of my preferred food...
But now I had to confess I'm learning German...
Yesterday night I had my 4° lesson...
:( :( :( :( Maybe is better if I learn some other thing
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Ligandil

#22 Post by Ligandil » 12 Mar 2012 07:39

I'm learning Latin and Italian right now at university...

and during the 3 month holidays I was learning Quenya (and still am), did you know that the Quenya accentuation rules are exactly the same as Latin! :D

Isis65

#23 Post by Isis65 » 12 Mar 2012 18:34

Ligandil wrote:I'm learning Latin and Italian right now at university...
Really? Can I ask you the reason you're learning Italian?
Ligandil wrote:and during the 3 month holidays I was learning Quenya (and still am)
I've never heard of this language ...
where and from what people is spoken?
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

Ligandil

#24 Post by Ligandil » 13 Mar 2012 23:49

well, I love languages, and I have some Italian friends, since I lived in Barcelona for 1 year, and since my native tongue is spanish, italian should not be too hard! Last year I tried russian, but it's the kind of language you have to dedicate a lot of time to, and I dont' have that time! Italian is nice, and easy, so why not? :D

and Quenya, you are kidding right? :D It's the main Elf language of Tolkien's world ;)

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/quenya.htm

Isis65

#25 Post by Isis65 » 14 Mar 2012 23:28

Ligandil wrote:well, I love languages, and I have some Italian friends, since I lived in Barcelona for 1 year, and since my native tongue is spanish, italian should not be too hard! Last year I tried russian, but it's the kind of language you have to dedicate a lot of time to, and I dont' have that time! Italian is nice, and easy, so why not?
ok, I was wondering because usually students of my tongue has Italian origins or specific business projects, or is passionate about art history ... we are not a rich country or desirable from the standpoint of business or trade, so I always surprised when someone takes an interest in us ....
As to the similarity with Spanish, you are absolutely right, I have never studied Spanish or Portuguese, but I traveled all over the Iberian Peninsula and the South America ... I never had any problem talking with people, went to Finally I also married a Cuban boy (4 years after we divorced, but that's another story ....)
Ligandil wrote:and Quenya, you are kidding right? :D It's the main Elf language of Tolkien's world ;)
No, I'm not kidding ... I guess in here sounds like blasphemy, but I hate Tolkien and I've never been interested in fantasy literature, and the only film "fantasy" that I like was "the never ending story" .... but when I saw it I was very young ....
I confess to thinking that "Quenya" was a variant of the Quechua, although the similarity with the Latin sounded very strange to me....
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

kanbera

#26 Post by kanbera » 31 May 2012 20:58

Let's see... My native language is Lithuanian (my father is from region Žemaitija, but I cannot talk in its language). At school I learn English and Spanish. I've learnt Germanian (Deuthe, you know:D) for 5 years (also at school), but I cannot talk in it well...
I really want to learn Italian (Maybe there is someone who wants to help me? and some 'strange' languages: Prussian (there aren't people who talk in it now), American Indians language, Retoroman (people who live is Switzerland, I don't know how is it in English) and, of course, ŽEMAIČIŲ KALBĄ. If someone wants to learn Lithuanian, just aske me! :)
Hallo, ich komme aus Litauen.

You're now my guest. Forever. Hahahahahaha

http://VisitsToMoney.com/index.php?refId=898394

rdyfrde

#27 Post by rdyfrde » 30 Oct 2012 03:52

I've been studying Finnish since January.

Mostly so I can speak to Finns when I move to Finland next year. How ironic? ;)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

dark.dragon
Location: Banja Luka, Republic Of Srpska, Bosnia And Herzegovina

#28 Post by dark.dragon » 21 Sep 2013 02:23

I've always been interesting in learning foreign languages.
I'm currently going on some lessons that should be followed by a test in German, in order to acquire a diploma for B2 or C1 level. I speak German, but not sure how well, so I'm not sure if I'll make it. However, that I'd need to apply for studying in Vienna, where I'd enroll the Scandinavian studies. I'm still not sure which language should I pick there.
In 2008/09 I learned Swedish for one year, but they never continued with those lessons for very few people were interested.
In October this year, I'm starting with some Norwegian classes just for fun. :)
As for the other languages, I once tried to teach myself Icelandic. It is a beautiful language, but what mostly made me want to learn it was its similarity with Old Norse. However, teaching yourself a language is quite difficult task.... :?
So out of nowhere it will rise...

Belgarion

#29 Post by Belgarion » 21 Sep 2013 11:44

Turkish native, German and English fluent.

I can curse in Croatian/Serbian and I'm proud of that.

I would love to learn Russian because of my obsession with great authors like Dostoyevksy and Gogol. And how cool is Cyrillic alphabet.
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

dark.dragon
Location: Banja Luka, Republic Of Srpska, Bosnia And Herzegovina

#30 Post by dark.dragon » 22 Sep 2013 14:05

Hahaha, how come if any foreigner speaks Serbian/Croatian, they know how to curse... :lol:
So out of nowhere it will rise...

Isis65

#31 Post by Isis65 » 31 Mar 2014 14:23

any finnish here?

http://m.imgur.com/QFm6SCE
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs

ThePKH

#32 Post by ThePKH » 03 Aug 2014 03:57

-Kokoo koko kokko.
-Koko kokkoko?
-Koko kokko!
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Led Guardian

#33 Post by Led Guardian » 08 Mar 2015 10:21

Reading this, I feel so bad that I only speak English. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting worse at that. :mrgreen:

God, American language education sucks. It really, really does.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Gandalf de Grijze

#34 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 08 Mar 2015 12:08

Isis65 wrote:ok, I was wondering because usually students of my tongue has Italian origins or specific business projects, or is passionate about art history ... we are not a rich country or desirable from the standpoint of business or trade, so I always surprised when someone takes an interest in us ....
Interesting that this topic came up again after I just read this article (italian) http://www.informarexresistere.fr/2015/ ... -al-mondo/
It basically says that Italian is the 4th most studied language in the world, and that mostly Italians don't understand why. In short, modern literature wouldn't exist without italian literature, the huge impact italian culture has had cannot be neglected, the Roman history. But also the fact that Italian is the main language of the church (in practice, even though officially it is supposed to be latin).

Isis65

#35 Post by Isis65 » 13 Mar 2015 23:53

ARGH!
Ok, usually this site (informarexresistere) is not a good source for informations...they likes stupid stories like scandals, conspiracies, scoundrel things and so on ..
But I have to admit, this time they got reason: italian language is the fourt most studied foreign language in the world (I've read this news also in most authoritative sources (like this: http://www.corriere.it/scuola/14_giugno ... 4f63.shtml), and italian people is really amazed for it (I'm one of them...).
But onestly I don't think people study italian 'cause of religion. (at least, I hope..).
It seems most logical to me that many people are studying our language because cooking or history lovers.
As for the first ones, I think if them, instead of studying Italian language, they learned to cook a good italian meal, we could possibly
get in in an Italian restaurant outside Italy without being terrified for seeing overcooked pasta with chicken gravy, pizza with beef and cappuccino after a meal.
I'm an old girl...

Anti War Songs