In the year Twenty-Ten. (yearlist time)

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Gandalf de Grijze

In the year Twenty-Ten. (yearlist time)

#1 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 21 Dec 2010 20:54

Yes, it is time again for the annual yearlist of stuff things shit and nothingness. Basically our annual list of the world. As always, I'll set up an example, with things that were important to me or that were strongly present in this year. As every year, no-one is required to use the same setup/catagories/etc as I use, you can add a catagory, or leave them out. So, how was this year like for you?

Love
Love is still an important aspect of my life, sadly it is also the biggest gap in it. I'm starting to believe that if there is such a thing as a one true love, that I've had a great time with her already and that she is now lost to me. My ex-girlfriend is, after 4 years since the break-up, still the person I care the most about. Her continued silence towards me makes me feel like I had to bury her; a loss that I still have some problems living with. I hope next year I'll find someone that can help me heal my wounds.

Friends and Family
Met quite some great people at the wedding of one of my best friends, and that wedding was one hell of a party. I realised that one can never see ones friends enough, however when you do see them it is always great. That is a true friendship and I've been blessed with quite many friends who are always there and always warm in welcoming/inviting me even if we don't have the time to see eachother more than a few times a year. You guys know who you are, and I love you all. In the family it seems things finally calms down a bit. My brother moved to another town and he is much more at ease where he lives now, without a pathetic neighbour complaining about every single breath he takes.

Work and Study
My 2nd year at university, and still loving it (Italian language and culture at the University of Amsterdam). Though I have to redo some classes from the first year I'm using the free time to broaden my horizon and started with a minor in Classical Archeology, and for the next semester there is a course of Hittite Cuneiform planned.
Also my old boss called me to ask me if I could return, even if only for a few days a week. So next to my studies I got some part-time work when they're a man short, which is nice since students (like I suppose everywhere) are never rich.

Music
Pretty good year for music, my top list of this year can be found in the music section. Concertwise it has been a bit of an up/down thing. I really dislike going to concerts alone, did that a few times, and never enjoyed myself, eventhough I loved the bands and their general live performances, so I decided to never go alone again. This however did mean I was unable to visit quite some acts that I would have liked to see, among them Weird Al. Sadly I also had to skip my 20th BG concert, which I had won through the contest on the homepage. This was for a major part due to problems here at home, and in a small part also due to transportation problems.
Nonetheless I've visited quite some extremely awesome concerts, Efterklang playing with the Metropole Orchestra in Amsterdam, BG in Tilburg, London and Milano, Walter Trout in my hometown, just to name a few.

Sport
A very busy sportsyear. We had the Winter Olympics of Vancouver, where the dutch hegemony in speedskating was put down, although we did win quite some of those medals nonetheless (ending 10th in the medal listing). Mark Tuitert and Ireen Wüst both won gold in the so-called "kings/queens race" of speedskating, the 1500m. Sven Kramer won the 5000m, as expected, however he was disqualified on the 10000m due to a stupid and weird miscommunication between him and his coach. I imagine that the whole of holland has that memory etched in their brains, both races were Olympic records, though the 10000m was of course not counted. The fourth gold medal was for Nicolien Sauerbreij at the Women's Paralel Gian Slalom (snowboarding) which was the first olympic winter medal outside speedskating since 1964.
Then there was the World Cup football. I was returning home from the wedding I mentioned earlier during the final between Spain and Holland. The wedding was in spain, so that was a pretty nice plus. Both teams never won a WC final, thus both had equal right to win, it became spain though.
Cycling, another favorite sport of mine, also had a nice year with both the Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France starting in the Netherlands. Needless to say I went to both events. After the Tour de France me and my friends decided to sit down on a little terrace in Rotterdam when we saw a famous dutch cyclist walk by (Michael Boogerd), one of my friends said hi to him, and Boogerd actually returned the greet using my friends name, which was a funny coincidence since none of us knew Boogerd personally.

World
A lot has happened this year, and I'll start close to home. We had elections for our "2nd room" this year, the results of which show a tendency towards an extreme right. The biggest winner was the party which uses a scare-tactic propaganda against muslims which reminds some of the days in the 1930's. Needless to say the result was difficult to form a good coalition in, and I daresay that they didn't succeed. I don't consider a minority government with the parlementary support of this extreme right party a stable coalition, let alone good. It seems that this government is hell bent on broadening the gap between poor and rich, as well as hell bent on destroying any form of pride we might have had. Cutting drastically on education means destroying the future. The extreme cuts on culture are out of proportion and it seems that this government is also spending money on playing toy soldier with real people. Investing millions in a non-working prototype jet-fighter while cutting on social security is never a good thing in my opinion.
But enough about Dutch politics, This has been the year of the earthquake that struck Haiti, still leaving millions homeless. Also the year in which Greece and Ireland, both for different reasons, went bankrupt. The year of rising tensions between north and south Korea.

New year's resolutions/expectations for 2011
To close things off I'll end with the famous resolutions and expectations. As for my resolutions, it will be the same one, to continue to better myself as a human being, a thing that I haven't failed yet, at least, I'd like to hope so ;)
As for the expectations, well it promises to be a nice year. Already seen plenty of nice concerts confirmed and Wacken looks interesting as well, eventhough they also have a few acts that make me think strongly about selling my ticket. If all goes as planned I'll be able to continue with my studies and broaden my horizon even further. I really expect this government to fall within the next year, with any luck right after the provincial and senate elections of march. And there is a new Pirates coming up as well as a hightened hope for continued work on The Hobbit, who knows?
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

The Rider Of Rohan

Re: In the year Twenty-Ten. (yearlist time)

#2 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 22 Dec 2010 12:33

Work and Study

Moved back and forth between various locations within the same company, working temporarily at each one of them. Had a great time in all of them and worked on some truly interesting projects. It'll be interesting to learn, come 2011, what the results of those projects have been. Low-point was the announcement that the site in Groningen will close down. Which is a shame, because I've spent many a year there and I lost a lot of great colleagues in the last couple of months.

Music

Wacken was great and this year saw some interesting releases. 2010 was the year where I listened to as much metal as in the last five years combined, and that's great. Manowar's release alone outshines a lot of releases. Shame about some of the fallen heroes though, including Dio, Peter Steele and Thijs Bruins (Hammerhawk).

Games
It's been an amazing year in this department where I got to play some truly interesting games. Amongst the highlights are Alan Wake, Red Dead, Mafia 2, Bayonetta, FF13, Epic Mickey, Goldeneye, DKC Returns, and about a million others. 2010 came leaps and bounds in terms of gameplay, presentation and storytelling, with Alan Wake proving what I have always claimed: that games as a storytelling-medium have the capabilities to surpass movies and books in terms of involvement and character development. So all in all it was amazing: possibly the best year in gaming since 1994 with numerous interesting releases coming out each month.

Sports

FC Groningen plays their best season ever, ending in the top 3 around christmass-time and still having the first place at the end of the season within grasp. Shame though about the stolen finals of the world-cup.

Internet

Wikileaks and it's surrounding controversy was both the high and the low-point of the year. The p2p-war keeps raging on, with the obvious lowpoint being Virgin who uploaded mp3s then sued for hosting their copyrighted material. I was hoping that, somewhere along the line they would make downloading legal everywhere and adopt different businessmodels, but 2010 wasn't the year for it either. On the plus side, broadbandspeeds keep increasing, I still don't have twitter and I had a lot of phun online. And buying a 160gb iPod was the best thing I ever did.

Politics

Another stale year, with the only really positive thing being the new right-wing government in the Netherlands, helmed by the great Mark Rutte.

Resolutions

Celebrate life every day, staying happy and download as much as fucking possible.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Joost

#3 Post by Joost » 22 Dec 2010 20:33

Friends and family

On this area, the year started on a very negative and sad note... namely with the funeral of my father, but there have been quite a few positive things happening since then. It seems the family ties with my relatives have definitely improved during the course of this year, which is something I am quite happy with. As for friends: I feel I have been a bit lacking on that area during this year, especially towards my great friends from the Blind Guardian forum.

Work and study

On this area, 2010 has been very positive. Before this year, I tried a few times to obtain a position as a Ph.D student somewhere, but to no avail: and now, in late 2010 I have surprisingly ended up working as a Ph.D student -- at the same place where my father worked until his death in late 2009. I'm now doing stuff on the border between theoretical computer science and mathematics, and enjoying it immensely.

Love

Definitely not my worst year, on this area, but still it ended on a kind of negative note, as the guy I *thought* I was slowly building up a relationship with, suddenly ended up having a boyfriend. The last couple of days, I've mostly been busy getting over this. Still, looking at it on the whole, 2010 was not a year of hopeless romanticism, but rather one of openness and, in a sense, self-realization.

Politics

Sad but true, ignorance and bigotry reign supreme. :( And it's bloody shame that our new government seemingly has a complete disregard of all of the things that I value in life... But well, excessive amounts of asphalt, tax deductions on mortgage interest from which the rich benefit more than anyone else, and shiny fighter aircrafts are apparently more important in this world than culture, art, education, openness, personal freedoms, or caring for the weak and disadvantaged... :(

Music

2010 mostly has been a very... un-metal, but nonetheless a great musical year for me. I made quite a few great discoveries in genres such as folk, world music, jazz, and experimental music, including but not limited to Alan Stivell, The Goner, Troissoeur, The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, Erik Truffaz, Kaykhosro Pournazeri, Ballroomquartet, Greg Haines, Mehmet Ozan, Nucleus torn, Secret Chiefs 3, and Aun. But there have been some great metal moments too: Dong Open Air, the Blind Guardian gig in Tilburg, and the new Agalloch album!

I wrote on my Facebook and MSN status, that 'music is my sanctuary' and this is something I truly mean in a literal sense of the word. There is nothing that can help me through a difficult time in the way that music can. :)

Spirituality and all that

Between all of this, 2010 has been a quite spiritual year for me. During the spring and summer, my special relationship to Nature has been affirmed quite strongly for me, and I have been making some progress in discovering my positive attitude towards spirituality. Despite this, in this world where the distance between us and Nature is probably larger than ever before, it can be very difficult to be spiritual in a nature-oriented way, and at other times, I have been forgetting this completely.

Holidays

Had a wonderful summer holiday in Slovakia, where I went hiking in the high Tatra mountains. Definitely am planning to do more of this kind of stuff in the future.

Other

In April I, rather suddenly, decided to become a vegetarian, something that I had been thinking about for many years but never carried out until then. At first I really saw it as mostly just an experiment and probably not something I was going to continue. But after a while I realized that of all the wonderful and nice things in life, eating meat definitely wasn't one of the most important, so I just decided to continue. Although I think I might be switching to part time-pescetarianism or something in the future (I'm missing fish more than meat, by far!), I am quite certain by now that eating meat regularly isn't a habit that is likely to slip back into my life again.

In February 2010, I obtained my driving license, and although I moved out to an apartment of myself in December 2009 already, 2010 really was the year where I got accustomed to living by myself.

In 2010, I started playing go (the Eastern board game) a bit more seriously than before, and made some great improvements in my playing. Unfortunately, at one point I realized I was really on the verge of addiction to this game, to the point where I was close to ignoring all of the other stuff in my life. Since then I have been cutting down quite a lot on my go-playing time, even though I have to say it's still the greatest board game I have ever seen.

Also in 2010, I acquired a somewhat ambiguous (but generally positive) relationship with cannabis. I won't elaborate on it now, but I'll write about this more later, in another topic. (But don't worry! There's nothing really bad or irresponsible going on.)

Highlights of the year

Queen's Day in Groningen, Keltisch Midzomerfestival, music, my time away from stress in Slovakia and Schiermonnikoog, wonderful talks with friends and other people, good beer, wine, and mead, music, great vegetarian food (for those in doubt: it exists!), lots and lots of tea, people coming to my place unannounced and then ending up doing great throat singing in the park nearby, skinnydipping, music, tetrahydrocannabinol, some very beautiful movies (e.g. Werckmeister harmóniák, Paranoid Park, Ascenseur pour l'echafaud), good books, music, music, and still living in one of the most beautiful cities that I know of... All in all a good candidate for the best year of my life.

Resolutions

Be more open.
Be more active.
Listen to more jazz.
Be in Nature more often.
Less negativity.
Start with aikido or something along those lines.

(Just how did I manage to fit all of this in one year?)
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

End Of An Era

#4 Post by End Of An Era » 23 Dec 2010 00:29

Friends and family
This year i started to realize i started to dislike the social awkwardnes which is called family. I also realized there's friends who can give so much more than family ever can. One would almost say, a bond thicker than blood, and i am planning to live by that. I don't dislike my family, but there's only so much one can stand from them ;) Met a bunch of new people this year, lost contact to a few of them, all in all just another year i would say. ;)

Work and study
Last year one of my resolutions was to have the end of my study in the visor by this time. Look at me, the 20th of januar i will be presenting my script and it will be over! :D I'd say that's one of the resolutions i actually managed to keep :lol: Workwise it's been a busy year. Starting at the distribution centre from a local supermarket, my old boss asked if i would return, which i did in march. In september i started the final internship and in the weekends and evenings i'm still working for my old employer. The pay is good, the atmosphere too and i can surely use the money now! :P After finishing my study i will start to work for an organisation which seems like a perfect fit for me. I felt a strong connection which led me to decide to follow my instincts rather than the exact line of my study. i will see how this works out ;)

Love
*sighs* yeah.. love.. The older i get the more i feel i'm stacking up mistake after mistake in my lovelife. The way i feel about it now is that i made a huge, if not terrible, mistake by letting go of a girl which is near to perfect in so many ways, only to realize that so late she already moved on, unfortunately.. I've felt terrible about that for a while, and still do, but the pain of realization has faded and made place for a sad kind of meeknes. I don't know which one is worse actually.
Though, a tiny glimmer shines in the dark void of my painful soul. I do not yet dare to elaborate, but i feel love has many forms, and i know i can spend my life with more than what some people call their 'true love'. Call it the next best thing, if you will, i only try to seek a companion who can give me what i need and who i can give what she need. A less perfect symbiosis of the romantic love from the storybook, but hey, growing old alone is more painfull than sharing something you build up with someone you really care for.

Music
Discovered some great bands this year, like Solitude Aeturnus, Atheist and Control Denied. I found that my taste in music shifted from heavy/power metal more to the spectre of thrash/black-ish metal, a development i do not really think all that much of, it is mere an observation. My band, Seven Steps of Denial, has had a succesful first half year but towards the end it became more and more difficult. We had to let go of a good friend and musician due to attitude problems and it's very hard to replace him. We decided to try for the one-guitar sound which is kind of a waste of the music we had written. Next year we will try to get a shitload of shows, and maybe even some festivals abroad! But we'll have to see how that goes ;)

Spirituality and all that
It was a surprising quiet year for me. I wanted to focus and develope myself more in this area, but i needed my capacities to finish my study and side activities. I hope i will not forget this side of me, it's easy to forget it i find...

Sports
Yeah, this was a succesful year for sports for me! :D I started to excersise on a regular basis in the gym and i found a new combat sports that is totally my match: Krav Maga. My body started to grow, fat percentage dropped and my stamina is at a level i could not have dreamed about two years ago. I feel comfortable in my body and draw confidence in my appearance and progress in Krav Maga and fitness. Yes, my mind and body truly benefit from this and i will surely continue on this path!

Highlights of the year
For me, the highlight of the year is not very clear. all in all, i think this year has marked a transition from a young adult towards a more mature form of myself, so it's hard to point out any highlights. Though obviously i had a great summer i would not classify it as a highlight, it was an emotional rollercoaster for me.

Resolutions
*finish my study
*move out on my own
*learning myself to recognize things for what they really are before i decide to let go
*develope myself creatively and spiritually, in my opinion these go hand in hand.

ThePKH

#5 Post by ThePKH » 23 Dec 2010 09:42

Friends and family
A bit on the sad side as my grandfather died. With all the relatives gathered to his funeral I remember thinking though about his influence which is somewhat visible in all of his children/grandchildren. Especially the weird sense of humor. I've never been too much into thinking the whole "where I'm coming from" deal. But especially after the funeral I found myself thinking about my karelian roots. My granddad was the embodiment of the finnish term "Tervaskanto" (a metaphor for an old and wise man).
As for friends, nothing new really happened. It's maybe a bit sad that I haven't been able to really make new friends during the last year. But well, the old ones are super. I even found new ways to be more open about what I think and feel, which is a major thing to me and in the end made me feel alot better.

Love
Nothing new. During this year I've been a bit down on this department. It seems to me that love is something good that mainly happens to other people, and that has made me question my self worth at times. Don't know how 2010 is different on this than most of the previous years, maybe I've just let myself feel a bit more miserable about it than usual. Not that there has been any improvement on this, but I've been alot better lately. Mainly thanks to my wonderful friends.

Work
My part time job became to an end and I've been unemployed for a few months. Maybe it's a good thing as I've got time again to think about possible ideas for the future. Atm, it seems that it's schooltime again for me in the future.

Music
Quite good year musically. A few of my favourite metal acts released ass kicking albums and there's been lots of nice albums from others as well. With few disappointments, like the new Nevermore album which I can't seem to get into. I haven't been to many concerts this year though, but the ones I saw were great. Oh, and 2010 marks the first time I myself made a contribution to the scene in the form of an album cover for my friend's band's first demo release. :)

Sports
Been to a lot of games. JYP Jyväskylä got the bronze medal at men's ice hockey league last spring and their farm team ended up 2nd at the second highest league. That bronze was one of the biggest disappointments ever in this category but in retrospect it's not that bad to follow championship year with a 3rd spot, especially when you consider the team has for most of its history been battling to even reach the playoffs. As for Football, the local team barely avoided the relegation.
As a personal note, I found that love for cycling again last summer. What's not to love about riding your bike?!!

Politics
Nothing really suprises me anymore. My only hope is that the current government (especially the main parties) will find themselves losing the coming elections. At the same time though, I hope that not to the even worse option (PerSu turds). How much filth can you swim in before the voting public notices the stench?

Conclusion
At this age it comes as no suprise anymore that some things are bound to suck during each year. However as I carefully measure the pros and cons I think 2010 was a bit more positive than negative. For this I thank my friends and family.
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Joost

#6 Post by Joost » 26 Dec 2010 10:49

ThePKH wrote:As a personal note, I found that love for cycling again last summer. What's not to love about riding your bike?!!
Yay for cycling! :) :D
-- Martin Walkyier

rdyfrde

#7 Post by rdyfrde » 28 Dec 2010 08:24

Love
Doesn't exist for me. Such is life.

Friends and Family
Family is still non-existent other than my aunt and uncle. My mom still maintains that she has no daughter and my father is still dead. At least my friends make up for the lack of care that my family does. I'd be lost without them :)

Work and Study
This year was pretty big in this area as I quit my job of 12 years at Amazon.com. The atmosphere of my section was making me physical ill and there was no way for me to move to a difference section. It had been for a while and it was time to leave. I really hope I can find a new job in the new year.

Music
Really good year for CD releases for me. Half the time I have trouble finding 10 good albums but this year had 17. The album of the year is Wizards' album The Black Knight. For some reason it just hits the right spot for me, despite everyone else seemingly hating it :lol:

The best concert was Avantasia's first show of the tour in Pratteln on November 30th. It was so damn amazing and historical. I got to see Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen be on stage for the first time in 22 years. How many people can say that?

Sport
Not a lot of sports for me this year. It's kind of hard to follow when you don't have cable. Thankfully I can at least stay tuned in with the Boston Bruins via Twitter.

World
It's still engaged in stupid wars for land or oil. Same old, same old. At least the US got rid of that damn "don't ask, don't tell" rule for the military this year. Small steps I guess.

The big one for next year is finding a job that doesn't kill me in the process. I could do without a stressful year in that regard. I haven't had one in a decade.

Other than that, I look forward to traveling to Italy again to see Sonata Arctica in February and to Germany for Wacken in August. Maybe I can sneak in a quick look around in Hamburg before Wacken. That's my goal at least since I haven't seen any of it other than the airport.
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Asheka

#8 Post by Asheka » 28 Dec 2010 14:17

Love, Friends and Family
Some events this year... I got married, and could meet for this day family and friends who I too rarely see.
All over the year, I get more contacts with my aunts, uncles and cousins (thanks to Internet...), I now discover my cousins as adults, and I like that ; we feel nearer now than when we were children.
I now have a new family to build, a man, three cats : four sources of luck.

Work and Study
More responsabilities, a changing team to manage (2 "constant" people, over the year 6 persons who just stayed a few monthes). Stress at the end of the year - and a great satisfaction as the work was finished at the 24th december, a week before the "deadline".

Music
I discovered Blind Guardian :D I bought "At the Edge of Time", now I have to order the older albums...

Sport
Drama at the FIFA worldcup... the french team was pitiful, but the german one was great (well, ok they didn't win... but I won 30 € betting on their matches)

- be more active, so that my weight goes a little down
- make our honeymoon (need a cat-sitter !!!!)
- read/write/speak english and german as much as possible, so that in some years I can work in Germany
- change my workplace and buy a house
- get a child ?
- visit my grandparents more often - they aren't eternal.
Cats will save the world ! ...well, just after the next siesta.

"All over the world, there are people who will rather seat/lie uncomfortable than wake up a cat".

End Of An Era

#9 Post by End Of An Era » 28 Dec 2010 14:44

Asheka wrote: - make our honeymoon (need a cat-sitter !!!!)
*coughcough* :) :mrgreen:

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#10 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 29 Dec 2010 02:29

Worst.Year.Ever.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Asheka

#11 Post by Asheka » 29 Dec 2010 11:39

End Of An Era wrote:
/give a bottle of cough syrup :)
That's serious ! We can't leave our 3 cats at home an entire week :cry: Maybe my mother-in-law will come and take care of them /hope :)

"All over the world, there are people who will rather seat/lie uncomfortable than wake up a cat".

Avelar

#12 Post by Avelar » 29 Dec 2010 11:52

In short: the most important and eventful year in my life. So far.
Joost wrote:
ThePKH wrote:As a personal note, I found that love for cycling again last summer. What's not to love about riding your bike?!!
Yay for cycling! :) :D
+1 :D
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

End Of An Era

#13 Post by End Of An Era » 29 Dec 2010 13:15

Asheka wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
/give a bottle of cough syrup :)
That's serious ! We can't leave our 3 cats at home an entire week :cry: Maybe my mother-in-law will come and take care of them /hope :)
you misinterpreted the cough. :P If you're seeking someone to go to France and take care of cute kitsies, i'm in for the job! ;) Should make a nice holiday for me :mrgreen:

faery

#14 Post by faery » 30 Dec 2010 23:10

One of the better traditions. Searched and found some of my old yearlists (2005, 2008 and 2009), and it was quite cool to see where I stood then. Well, here's the one of this year:

family
My mom, stepdad and brother are still doing fine. My stepdad's health is going down though. The relationship with me and my dad got a lot better, but the reason for that was probably a less happy cause: both of my grandparents from my dad's side died this year. Therefore we talked a lot more about personal stuff than the years before. My grandmother passed away quite suddenly in february, and my grandfather followed in november after getting gradually worse. I am not a grandchild any more.

friends
In 2010 I met many people who potentially become friends next year. I spend less time with my old friends, because my activism and my health took most of my time. The relationship with the two female friends I've known for 6 years now remained strong, despite seeing each other so little. Also, the friendship with a newer female friend developed further. The friends I saw least were my metalfriends. Less time on the forum ans the lack of time in general as mentioned before probably greatly contributed to that. The times when we saw each other were quite great however. The year ended on a very sad note, when someone I had a developing friendship with, died at the young age of 44.

love
Not much changed. Still together with Thomas, for almost 2.5 years now. We did have some troubles in summer, and even broke up for a day, but everything turned even better after that. Also, our relationship is now completely open, although not much has happened on that field yet. There have been some flirts (for both Thomas and me), and some following up on that, but no extra relationships.

health
Not as good as I would've wanted it. Before summer everything went very, very well. I had more energy than ever. After summer however, things took a turn for the worse with me feeling down a lot of the time, and having less and less energy. The large responsibilities I have at my job have probably something to to with that. Also, my knees troubled me for the first months after summer, even resulting in spending some days in a wheelchair. After fysiotherapy that became a lot better, and now I even started running! Not sure how long I'll continue with that though, but it's good for now. This year I also started yoga, which I did daily for a while. At the moment I'm trying to get that in my system again. So moods are less good, but exercise is going better and better.

music
Music was not that important for me this year. I went to some very cool festivals (Midsummerfair and Dong), but there the people there were the main reason for those being amazing experiences. The few concerts I did go to (Anathema, Kate Nash, Blind Guardian) were very cool, but could not touch me how their music used to touched me in the years before.

studies/work
A lot changed here. I started out in 2010 as a fulltime student. Around february I decided I wanted to be on the 2010-2011 board of the local student union, after having volunteered for them for a few months more than part-time. Until summer I continued that, organizing demonstrations and the like. In the summer I worked as a mailperson for a month, which wrecked my knees (as written above). I also finished the first draft of my thesis during that time, but the second draft was postponed because of the busy job I had as the vicepresident of the board.

politics
The new Dutch goverment is shitty, and their plans for (higher) education suck. 'Nough said.

conclusion
2010 was not the best year. The best thing that happened was that I discovered my talents in organizing things, in managing, in chairing meetings and writing minutes, in influencing and convincing people. The bad things were of course the death of both my grandparents and of my friend. Combined with the depressed mood I've been in mostly, this year was emtionally very heavy. More downs than ups, although I got great feelings of accomplishment and larger self esteem with all the activism I've been doing.

"resolutions"
Don't really do new year's resolutions, but there is stuff that I'd like to achieve next year:
- developing a succesful blog on tips on personal development, time management and mindfulness.
- writing more in general
- finishing my thesis
- cooking and baking more (cooking when I'm home, baking at least once a month)
- reading more (one book every few weeks)
- getting more involved in politics after summer
- continue to exercise on a almost daily basis

Joost

#15 Post by Joost » 30 Dec 2010 23:25

- developing a succesful blog on tips on personal development, time management and mindfulness.
Ah, sounds a lot like one of the many things I'm planning (and with all the stuff I'm planning, time management becomes pretty much essential :P), only you're even thinking about starting a blog on it.
-- Martin Walkyier

Andreas

#16 Post by Andreas » 30 Dec 2010 23:33

Asheka wrote: - be more active, so that my weight goes a little down
- get a child ?
Getting a child by regular methods doesn't make your bodyweight decrease I guess :P

faery

#17 Post by faery » 31 Dec 2010 00:15

Joost wrote:
Ah, sounds a lot like one of the many things I'm planning (and with all the stuff I'm planning, time management becomes pretty much essential :P), only you're even thinking about starting a blog on it.
Will launch the blog quietly on the first of january actually, and already have some posts ready :)

Gandalf de Grijze

#18 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 31 Dec 2010 01:28

becoming more politically active is one of my goals as well... a slow development that already started this year...
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Asheka

#19 Post by Asheka » 31 Dec 2010 10:01

Andreas wrote:
Asheka wrote: - be more active, so that my weight goes a little down
- get a child ?
Getting a child by regular methods doesn't make your bodyweight decrease I guess :P
That's why I wrote it in this order :wink: first I have to down my weight, and then I can get a child without feeling like a whale...

End Of An Era

#20 Post by End Of An Era » 31 Dec 2010 17:07

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:becoming more politically active is one of my goals as well... a slow development that already started this year...
i will not do that for a while, at least 10 years. First i want to be able to say i've done and/or achieved something. Politicians who choose it as a career tend to be soooo out of touch with the *real* world it's frightening they can affect that world so much.

Gandalf de Grijze

#21 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 01 Jan 2011 06:18

well, there IS a difference between becoming a politician and being politically active (in the sense of more actively supporting your party and thinking along with that party without being an elected representative)

West Virginia Mule

#22 Post by West Virginia Mule » 10 Feb 2011 03:59

No one asked Bender why it was the worst year ever.
KILROY WAS HERE

End Of An Era

#23 Post by End Of An Era » 10 Feb 2011 20:50

because it's the year-list topic, not a forum issue group :P