South Africa 2010 World Cup

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Frozen within

Re: South Africa 2010 World Cup

#501 Post by Frozen within » 02 Jul 2010 18:12

We destroyed the Brazilian dream :twisted:

edit : Seriously, another match that should have been the last of Holland during this tournament. According to the few bits I've seen after the match at least, because I was working and haven't seen 1 goddamned minute live so far of our team. Work sucks :x But we won ! Yay ! And now something I've been wanting to do since 1994 ...

REVENGE IS OURS AT LAST, HELL FUCKING YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I know it's provocative and terribly immature, especially when considering that I'm almost 30 years old. But I can't help but feeling overjoyed. Please forgive me, and if it's any consolation, my penis is like reaaalllly small.

VICTORY !!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:
Eat more vegetables !

nerjal

#502 Post by nerjal » 02 Jul 2010 22:18

Second half Brazil seemed a different team for me. Lucio deserves a medal of honour
Bravery is not a function of Firepower - JC Denton

The Rider Of Rohan

#503 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Jul 2010 22:25

PWND. 8)

spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Gandalf de Grijze

#504 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 02 Jul 2010 22:43

Hell.. even _i_ watched that game at the pub.. and I felt it was really tense.
Of course i'm no football crackhead (sooner the opposite) but I thought it was a great battle.. 1st half was definately for brasil, but 2nd half was more orange than the first half ever could have been blue (or green-yellow if you prefer). That said, I thought (and the football crackheads around me concurred) that we could have ended in a 4-1 score or even better.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#505 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 02 Jul 2010 23:23

Indeed. In the first half Oranje played rather conservatively which is great against any team, but not Brasil. Still it worked in a way, because they prevented Brasil from making a second or a third one. The second half was where the great play was at. Brasil seemed quite confident after the break, but when it became 1-1 they seemed totally flabbergasted.

Oh, and Ghana is out too. Poor them, this seems really unfair to them.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#506 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 02 Jul 2010 23:25

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Bye bye Brazil!

i really didn't see that one coming...low blow...
*ouch*

♪você abusouuu ♫
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#507 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 02 Jul 2010 23:26

:cry:

Edain

#508 Post by Edain » 02 Jul 2010 23:43

Poor Ghana. Bereft of a definite goal - there's no reason why the goal after SUCH a foul doesn't count. :(

But on the other hand they were far worse at the penalties ...
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Orodaran

#509 Post by Orodaran » 02 Jul 2010 23:45

CONGRAFUCKINGLATIONS DUTCHIES!!!!!!

I was in Bern today (Switzerland's capital), and I catched glimpses of the matches from TVs in the bars.... I noticed how Brazil were already in the lead and I said to myself "meh, where are the frenchies when you need them"... then I saw the Netherlands equalized, and then while I was walking around I heard a roar... 2-1!!! and then I watched the final minutes of the match in another bar in the streets and basically everyone was rooting for the orange team :D dunno if it was just out of spite for Brazil or because an european team was winning, anyway, all of Bern today was happy to see Netherlands go to the finals! 8)

The dream-final Brazil vs Argentina is shattered....... :twisted: now let's truly hope tomorrow Germany gets rid of the other wannabe finalist and then come what may, the cup must remain in Europe!!!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

#510 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 00:29

Edain wrote:Poor Ghana. Bereft of a definite goal - there's no reason why the goal after SUCH a foul doesn't count. :(

But on the other hand they were far worse at the penalties ...
True, it was a stolen victory of the clearest type, and it just shows what kind of 'sportsman' Suarez is. The good news, however, is that he's disqualified for the semi-finals against the Dutch. So that's one less thing to worry about.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#511 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 00:51

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:True, it was a stolen victory of the clearest type, and it just shows what kind of 'sportsman' Suarez is.
What you would have done in his place?
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Andreas

#512 Post by Andreas » 03 Jul 2010 00:52

I was totally supporting Uruguay, as an Ajax fan. But sometimes I feel like an asshole when I laugh about Suarez. I just can't get mad at him for some reason. But I'm indeed happy he doesn't play against Oranje.

Anyway, my dream is a Holland - Germany final. Two times revenge in one tournament.

corrupted old gnom

#513 Post by corrupted old gnom » 03 Jul 2010 01:18

it's part of the game and not really unfair (yet very unfortunate for ghana) - it's not like he injured someone intentionally
i mean, it's in the rulebook: red card, penalty
most of the times it wouldn't pay off...but now it was a wise move, imo

...and no, i rooted for ghana
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Bender B. Rodriguez

#514 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 03 Jul 2010 03:15

i think i'm already over the fact of Brazil losing.Good thing Dunga's gone,and i hope that forever so Brazil can go back to playing actually good old ,offensive football.
corrupted old gnom wrote:it's part of the game and not really unfair (yet very unfortunate for ghana) - it's not like he injured someone intentionally
i mean, it's in the rulebook: red card, penalty
most of the times it wouldn't pay off...but now it was a wise move, imo

...and no, i rooted for ghana
Suarez got a fair punishment and saved his team,can't really blame him for that.And Ghana oughta train more fucking penalty kicks.Coolest thing about the match,Abreu's penaly kick,was superb.

Holland:well,it was about time they defeated Brazil,i mean,they're finally looking like they could actually win the tournament,congrats for them,i can't think of a team that deserves more to win than holland,for all they've done for the development of football in general.
GO HOLLAND!

for the remaining matches,i'm rooting for Argentina,mainly because they've got Tevez,and Paraguay because i can't stand Spain's way of playing,way too much senseless ball passing.

and this image i'll put in here,is just to show you dutchies that i have a sense of humor :mrgreen:

The Rider Of Rohan

#515 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 09:30

Andreas wrote:Anyway, my dream is a Holland - Germany final. Two times revenge in one tournament.
I second that. And after we win, we get our bicycles back.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Frozen within

#516 Post by Frozen within » 03 Jul 2010 09:38

And our virginity !

Errr ..

nevermind.
Eat more vegetables !

corrupted old gnom

#517 Post by corrupted old gnom » 03 Jul 2010 10:26

i'd like to see such a final - but germany should win
there are just some things that shouldn't change
like ballack never winning an international title, or boris becker never being "allowed" to win a tournament on clay

The Rider Of Rohan

#518 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 10:58

Orodaran wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:True, it was a stolen victory of the clearest type, and it just shows what kind of 'sportsman' Suarez is.
I don't know as I am not a sportsman, but that's hardly the point. Imagine that Urugay would ultimately become the world-champion. Would they really want to earn the title while the whole world knows that they cheated to get there? The World Cup is about teams working hard and trying to be better than the other, not about who can cheat the best and get away with it.

Suarez already called it the new "mano de Dios" (hand of God) and the fact that he actually takes pride in what he did, seems a great contradiction with the general spirit of the event.

I think he deserves a vuvezela right where he doesn't want it, try and see of it fits.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

corrupted old gnom

#519 Post by corrupted old gnom » 03 Jul 2010 11:05

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Suarez already called it the new "mano de Dios" (hand of God) and the fact that he actually takes pride in what he did, seems a great contradiction with the general spirit of the event.
while that is of course true, it's still not cheating
cheating is what thierry henry did against ireland
in your logic, a tactical/intentional foul to interrupt a conter would be way worse than an unintentional one in an irrelevant situation

Orodaran

#520 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 11:22

corrupted old gnom wrote:i'd like to see such a final - but germany should win
there are just some things that shouldn't change
Like the old meme "Football is an easy game, 22 players chase around a ball and then the germans win" :P

Furthermore, Italy is not around anymore, so who's going to defeat Germany now? :twisted: :twisted: (even tough yesterday it was finally proved wrong what was true from 1994 to 2006: only France can beat Brazil)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#521 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 11:32

corrupted old gnom wrote: while that is of course true, it's still not cheating
cheating is what thierry henry did against ireland
in your logic, a tactical/intentional foul to interrupt a conter would be way worse than an unintentional one in an irrelevant situation
I'm not saying one is worse than the other. Both are unacceptable.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#522 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 11:35

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Orodaran wrote:
I don't know as I am not a sportsman, but that's hardly the point. Imagine that Urugay would ultimately become the world-champion. Would they really want to earn the title while the whole world knows that they cheated to get there? The World Cup is about teams working hard and trying to be better than the other, not about who can cheat the best and get away with it.
Well, first of all Italy is World champion thanks partially to a veeeeeeeeeery generous penalty, but nobody seems to be much worried about that :lol: (at least in Italy)
More seriously, as Simon said, that's no cheating, and I think it was a move made out of desperation.
What do you think went through Suarez's head in a split second?
A) There's this ball about to enter, I should stop it with my hand and then who cares if I'm gonna be send out and I will miss the next match, it's so obvious that Ghana will miss the penalty
B) OMFG GOTTA DO SOMETHING........ OH SHIT!!!

He made a foul out of desperation; he got the red card as he deserved; he will be disqualified for the next match as mandatory; and Ghana got a penalty as they deserved, which is, you know, having to aim at a high corner of the net from 11 darn meters. The punishment was fair for what Suarez did, too bad Ghana didn't score.

Yes, he shouldn't have done it, but I can't blame him for a desperate and suicidal attempt probably decided in a split second of desperation... furthermore, what's the solution (for a foul that already has its punishment: red card and penalty) about it? make a new rule that if someone stops a ball with his hand when it's 100% sure that it would have been inside, the goal should be allowed anyway? if it does not enter, it's not goal, even if (stupid example just to make point) someone shoots the ball thanks to a mini gun he held in his pants.

EDIT: I have seen the foul finally, and now I'm more convinced that it was an instinctive reaction. There were 2 players on the net line, and the shot came suddenly from so near, it was almost like defending himself to not get his face smashed. It's not that, with he goalkeeper defeated, the ball was slowly rolling in and a single player had all the time to chase it and then resign himself to put it away with his hand (which would have given him time to think about what to do), it was just a sudden and almost authomatic reaction...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

spamel

#523 Post by spamel » 03 Jul 2010 11:50

I have just watched the offence in question on Youtube. Take it easy on me as I am no football fan and don't even know the off side rule, but that was a clear case of cheating if ever there was one. If I was the ref, I'd have red carded the whole team and had them lined up against a wall and shot. Their heads would have gone on the corner flags at the final as a constant reminder of cheats never prosper. I would also have allowed the goal!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Orodaran

#524 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 12:04

spamel wrote:that was a clear case of cheating if ever there was one.
Imagine these two situations.

A) A Ghana forwarder from a nice angle makes a gentle and delicate lob that beats the Uruguay goalkeeper. The ball makes great an high bounces towards the net. A sole Uruguay defender chases it, it's so obvious that he's trying to coordinate himself to maybe use his head or his feet to kick away the ball. All of a sudden we see the player use his hand instead, to send away the ball.

B) Frantic meleè in the area. TWO Uruguay players on the net line. All of a sudden a shot comes from "point blank range", and ONE of the TWO players instictively covers a bit himself and a bit the net with his hand.

Which of the two situations is worse and which shows a clear and deliberate decision to commit an hand foul?

Furthermore, if you call this "cheating", at least call it "ATTEMPTED cheating". He DIDN'T get away with it, he was SEEN, he got a red card AS HE DESERVED, and Ghana got a penalty AS THEY DESERVED.
spamel wrote:I would also have allowed the goal!
Why? the ball didn't enter and there's no such rule in football. If it's not in, it's not in, if someone makes a foul to avoid it, it's red card and penalty. Oh, which is what actually happened.

Again: he SHOULDN'T have done it. But I can't really imagine him having all the time to carefully ponder his gesture and have a philosophy discussion with himself in his hand about what should be correct and what should not be done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

spamel

#525 Post by spamel » 03 Jul 2010 12:21

So because he was seen cheating, it isn't cheating? No, sorry, I totally disagree!

And I would have given the goal because I'm a mean bastard! :lol:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

The Rider Of Rohan

#526 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 12:26

Orodaran wrote:EDIT: I have seen the foul finally, and now I'm more convinced that it was an instinctive reaction. There were 2 players on the net line, and the shot came suddenly from so near, it was almost like defending himself to not get his face smashed. It's not that, with he goalkeeper defeated, the ball was slowly rolling in and a single player had all the time to chase it and then resign himself to put it away with his hand (which would have given him time to think about what to do), it was just a sudden and almost authomatic reaction...
C'mon. You're talking about it as if you are talking about a bunch of amateurs who play the game hung-over on a Saturday afternoon. That's not the case. We're talking about professional footballplayers who earn millions based on the concept of touching a ball really well with their feet to compensate the fact that you're not allowed to touch it with your hands. I refuse to believe that it was just an unintentional reflex. It might have been a split-second descision, but it remains a conscious descision at that.

Granted, I would believe your whole 'innocence as an excuse' for every player other than Suarez. The guy's a rat, and everybody who likes football in the Netherlands knows that from first-hand experience.

Some proof of what a nice guy he is:

http://home.versatel.nl/harrisfcg005/it ... jonkje.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvmf9GG83I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr0_BfiQYQ0

(and the vid we are taking about:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9uMjPRB6FE
Ghana got a penalty as they deserved, which is, you know, having to aim at a high corner of the net from 11 darn meters
Actually you should never aim high. First rule of taking a penalty: always go low.
I would also have allowed the goal!

Alas: Fifa-regulations don't allow for the granting of a goal when the ball did not cross the line. the rules are very clear: blocking a sure-fire shot is punishable by a red card, suspension for the next match and a penalty.

In this case, it does show a loophole in the rules. A red card isn't that big of a deal when you are in the final seconds of the match, and when not blocking the ball with your hands means you won't play another match anyways. So you are basically trading a 100% chance the ball goes in, for a 50% chance.

So although what you say is technically impossible, I understand the sentiment.
Last edited by The Rider Of Rohan on 03 Jul 2010 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#527 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 12:33

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
Ghana got a penalty as they deserved, which is, you know, having to aim at a high corner of the net from 11 darn meters
Actually you should never aim high. First rule of taking a penalty: always go low.
Uh, really? :P

My point is that a goalkeeper always will go flying either left or right. No goalkeeper ever remains standing, unless very rare cases. If you aim at the high corner of the net, you can almost tell the goalkeeper "buddy, I'm gonna put it there" and he's not going to get it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#528 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 12:50

Orodaran wrote: Uh, really? :P
Yeah it is. At least, it is for the Dutch team. Statistically we lost more matches on penalties aimed high, than penalties aimed low. The low ones almost certainly go in, whereas the high ones often hit the lat or go over.
My point is that a goalkeeper always will go flying either left or right. No goalkeeper ever remains standing, unless very rare cases. If you aim at the high corner of the net, you can almost tell the goalkeeper "buddy, I'm gonna put it there" and he's not going to get it.
Lol. Did you see the Uugay's winning penalty? Pure beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ne6jwHpZE#t=7m45s
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#529 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 13:02

That's Totti trademark in Italy.... incidentally, he got famous with that scoring that way against you dutchies, in that historical Euro Cup semi-final in which you got awarded 453 penalties and failed them ALL. :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#530 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 13:06

Yes. I blocked that part from my memory, as did most people in this country.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Andreas

#531 Post by Andreas » 03 Jul 2010 14:25

I don't believe Suarez made the hand ball unintentional. Just take another look, he made a fake header just after he punched the ball away, to prentend he made a header. But I understand why he did that, he sacrificed himself to give Uruguay the (at that time very small) chance to still make it to the semifinals.
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:You're talking about it as if you are talking about a bunch of amateurs who play the game hung-over on a Saturday afternoon.
This is actually the way to play football.

The Rider Of Rohan

#532 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 15:03

But I understand why he did that, he sacrificed himself to give Uruguay the (at that time very small) chance to still make it to the semifinals.
True, and that's exactly my point. Today he's the hero of his country because he got a red card to save his team. That's just wrong. This tournament should be about teams not getting any red cards, but if they do, winning despite of a red card, not because of it. When the choice to commit a foul becomes a case of risk vs trade-off, it contradicts the spirit of the competition, which should be about fair play.

I mean: if you take Suarez' line of thought into the extreme, you could consider breaking your opponent's kneecaps because their team revolves around their striker or their goalie. Sure, you would get a red card for it, but you just might win because they are now missing their star player.

Fortunately the Fifa is sharing my opinion, because they are contemplating a ban for more than just one match. Seems like WC2010 is over for Suarez. Serves him right.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#533 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 15:35

Let's hope that from this evening the World Cup will be over for Argentina as well :twisted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#534 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 15:38

Only a couple of hours and we know. I am looking forward to the thrashing of Germany by the Dutch in 8 days. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#535 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 15:40

Unless you find yourself in front of Spain....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

nerjal

#536 Post by nerjal » 03 Jul 2010 16:09

Germany scoring at 3' ... Argentina is pretty much in trouble

Orodaran

#537 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 16:11

Excellent start :twisted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Lews

#538 Post by Lews » 03 Jul 2010 16:17

I mean: if you take Suarez' line of thought into the extreme, you could consider breaking your opponent's kneecaps because their team revolves around their striker or their goalie. Sure, you would get a red card for it, but you just might win because they are now missing their star player.
This is the way I feel about it.

It doesn't matter that he got caught, it doesn't matter that he got punished, he was still cheating. And people are going to act like he is a hero, like he did something to be proud of? That is seriously sad.
*I think they are deadly poisonous zanzibar hamsters*

The Rider Of Rohan

#539 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 16:26

Germany at its best. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#540 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 17:12

Indeed! but now Argentina has become more dangerous :?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#541 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 17:30

And they're going home.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#542 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 17:33

BWHAHAHAHAHAH! 3-0!!!! EPIC PWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

So long for the announced Brazil vs Argentina final :twisted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Maglor's Fate

#543 Post by Maglor's Fate » 03 Jul 2010 17:45

4-0 8)

Orodaran

#544 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 17:48

EPIC and awesome victory of Germany, that swept away Maradona, Argentina and the whole talks of the south american football prevailing in this Cup. Now really sky's the limit for them!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#545 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 17:55

Now really sky's the limit for them!!!!
No, the Dutch are their limit. 8)

But today was great. Amazing match, I hope all German forummers will be having a great party today. They haven't been posting for the last couple of hours, so they're probably sitting in their kuilen becoming drunk as a skunk. At least I hope so.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cigoth

#546 Post by Cigoth » 03 Jul 2010 18:08

Great match, they played really well. :D
I'm hoping for a Netherlands - Germany final.
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

Orodaran

#547 Post by Orodaran » 03 Jul 2010 18:17

Me too. I would be so happy if Germany would win, and if the dutchies should make it instead, I would not be sad at all about them finally getting a worldwide consacration, after 2 finals in a row lost back in the '70s.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

nerjal

#548 Post by nerjal » 03 Jul 2010 18:28

Germany deserved...what a team!
I expect paraguay pwns Spain today, but my guess also is Deustch Vs Dutch for the final

Daijin

#549 Post by Daijin » 03 Jul 2010 18:32

I'm not drunk but the opposite: dehydrated. Three hours fried in the open sun watching Germany defeat the Argentinians. I'm thirsty, I'm sweaty, I'm almost deaf but it was totally worth it! :mrgreen:

And the whole city is going crazy.
So, supposed a robot wants to kill all the humans that makes him "a radical".
- Bender
Well, the truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
- Elim Garak

Andreas

#550 Post by Andreas » 03 Jul 2010 18:33

Well done Germany! See you in the final :mrgreen: