Question to all you pc wizards

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
The Rider Of Rohan

Question to all you pc wizards

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 12 May 2010 21:34

Hey, anybody got some advise for me? I'm quite handy at computer software (working for a number of isp helpdesks does that with you), but where hardware is concerned, I am quite a n00b.

My pc is hooked up to my widescreen tv for all of my viewing pleasures. It's also connected to the stereo using the 15mm headphone-jack, but I decided that I want to enjoy my downloaded dvd's in all it's 5:1-glory. I already have a 5:1-receiver, so I am on a quest to hook the two of them up.

Obviously I need to screw the machine open, insert a 5:1-soundcard and put the thing back together. Thing is, I don't know what kind of card to get. My old computers have soundcards as wide as (roughly) a jewelcase cd- cover. This pc is much smaller. When I look at the back I see an two empty trays to stick stuff into, but it's width is that of - say - a pack of cigarettes.

I'm sure there are soundcards to stick in there, but I am looking for the specifical term for the card I need, so I can get started with googling.

Anybody any ideas what I would be looking for?
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

End Of An Era

Re: Question to all you pc wizards

#2 Post by End Of An Era » 13 May 2010 00:05

if you have a brand new/modern PC, you should be looking for an PCI-e(xpress) soundcard, otherwise a PCI card would suffice. :) I think this should be enough to help you on your quest, i can not give any advice on which brand to get, i am a total noob concerning that :lol: My advice is to google your motherboard first and see which type you need first. :)

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#3 Post by Metal Fan » 13 May 2010 06:17

I wouldn't buy a PC. Ours just crapped out on us. The thing didn't shut off when it overheated and the motherboard is toast, literally! If you have to buy a new computer get a Mac, for the higher price they work better!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

End Of An Era

#4 Post by End Of An Era » 13 May 2010 08:22

he won't buy a pc, he already has one and seeks to upgrade it :P

Metal Fan

#5 Post by Metal Fan » 13 May 2010 08:28

Well for anyone else, then!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

The Rider Of Rohan

#6 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 13 May 2010 12:50

Metal Fan wrote:I wouldn't buy a PC. Ours just crapped out on us. The thing didn't shut off when it overheated and the motherboard is toast, literally! If you have to buy a new computer get a Mac, for the higher price they work better!
A Mac is a pc. :lol:

@ Era: thanks for the post. This was the information I deeded. I was actually terrified when I learned that PCI-E soundcards are roughly five times as expensive than regular ones!

Still, I consider it worth the money, knowing how much I do with my pc.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Belgarion

#7 Post by Belgarion » 14 May 2010 00:34

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:A Mac is a pc. :lol:
Yes, a Mac is a pc, but there actually exists such a distinction when one compares a Mac with a Windows PC. It's quite common. What Metal Fan said is not a mistake, but just a common selection of words to describe the distinction.
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Metal Fan

#8 Post by Metal Fan » 14 May 2010 00:48

Thank you!

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 May 2010 07:36

Yeah, but I don't have Windows either... I have Linx. 8)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

No‘am

#10 Post by No‘am » 14 May 2010 13:51

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Yeah, but I don't have Windows either... I have Linx. 8)
Atari Linx?
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Joost

#11 Post by Joost » 14 May 2010 14:41

This is how Ferdi browses the Interwebs. 8)
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Gandalf de Grijze

#12 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 14 May 2010 14:48

awesome!!!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

End Of An Era

#13 Post by End Of An Era » 14 May 2010 15:05

THAT is friggin' AWESOME!! Ferdi, YOU RULE!! ...but obviously you knew that already :P

About the mac/pc thingie; a lot of mac users see themselves as superior, so they feel calling their mac PC a PC is unworthy.. ah well :P

Metal Fan

#14 Post by Metal Fan » 14 May 2010 19:13

That's just my difference. Sorry

West Virginia Mule

#15 Post by West Virginia Mule » 15 May 2010 08:08

Jobs loves Obama. Obama rips iPads, iPods and iPhones. Gates loves Obama. Obama rips Xboxes. BP gives Obama gazillions of dollars. Obama cuts their throat. Goldman Sachs gives Obama gazillions of dollars. Obama cuts their throat.

...wait a minute, did Rohan say he had a...a...a job? People in Europe have jobs? Oh, that's right. Those ten hour a week jobs, with six months of holidays a year. Sustained by the elite statist circle of government masters. Really, all of you should pee on those leeches in Greece. Now. Do it. Pee on them.
KILROY WAS HERE

No‘am

#16 Post by No‘am » 15 May 2010 10:18

West Virginia Mule wrote:Jobs loves Obama. Obama rips iPads
Apparently he ripped some maxipads too.
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

The Rider Of Rohan

#17 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 15 May 2010 16:40

Well, today I bought the new soundcard, which amounted to the biggest joy any Lin(u)x-user can think of... getting new hardware to work! But after two hours worth of googling, the result is quite worth it. The native 5.1 sound is quite good, and - much to my surprise - Linux does a pretty good job at emulating the surround-sound on stereosongs. I was listening to some mp3 liverecordings of Ilse DeLange, and the audience came from the back, the vocals from the front, et cetera. Good stuff.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

End Of An Era

#18 Post by End Of An Era » 16 May 2010 12:04

good work! :)

The Rider Of Rohan

#19 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 May 2010 13:30

Blasting Merciful Fate's Melissa right now... Cannot believe how good it sounds in emulated 5.1. And yesterday I watched the new Alice In Wonderland also in 5.1. Man, I love the equipment that surrounds my couch. 8)

I also cannot believe what a long way Ubuntu has come in terms of multimedia-capabilities in the last couple of years, offering options and flexibility that Windows doesnt. Last year I tried Vista, but Ununtu is definetely the system of choice for when you hook up your pc to your tv.

Next purchase... a Rii Mini to finish it off.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/rii- ... t-your-wi/
spamel wrote:
Periods.

End Of An Era

#20 Post by End Of An Era » 16 May 2010 14:02

Hey Ferdi, you're quite the linux wizard i hear? :)
I might ask you for help after summer then :)

OT: about sound quality etc, i installed a small amplifier and new speakers in my car yesterday. DAMN! i should have done this AGES ago!! :shock: my music sounds soooooo much better now!!

The Rider Of Rohan

#21 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 16 May 2010 14:50

Well, the whole Linux-community is based on the idea of people helping each other out. So if there's anything you want to know, just ask.
spamel wrote:
Periods.