Stargate: Express your Thoughts and Opinions

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Mackasfour

Stargate: Express your Thoughts and Opinions

#1 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 10:56

It would seem we have a few Stargate fans among us. I thought I'd make this thread so we could discuss things we didn't understand or things that we think should be different and such.

Is it just me or did the Aurai (however you spell it :roll: ) seem like a really lame attempt to copy the Goa'Uld
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Sleeping Dragon

Re: Stargate: Express your Thoughts and Opinions

#2 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 10 Oct 2009 11:43

everything in that series from around season 4-5 and on is an attempt to copy the first 4-5 seasons of the series.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Mackasfour

#3 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 11:46

Considering the main villian was the Goa'Uld until season 9, I don't think season 4-5 onwards is a ripoff of anything (other then season 9 and 10)
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Gandalf de Grijze

#4 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 10 Oct 2009 12:31

i personally quite liked the introduction of teh Ori and considering the huge amount of differences between them and the Goa'uld I can't really say they were a ripoff.
and in my humble opinion the 2nd season was the weakest among them. quite some amazing episodes with great storylines were developed after the 4th season..
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Mackasfour

#5 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 14:16

Wow, I loved the first 5 seasons most and really disliked the Ori, I think they could've been made much more.... Villiany :P

Mackasfour

#6 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 14:18

On a grand note, I saw the Stargate Universe premier part 1 and 2 of 3. Is pretty dam good, has a great story to be based on and I am really looking forward to part 3 next week. though, it doesn't feel like Stargate, the Directing techniques used were much different, gave it a big time movie like feel for me. I don't think Brad Wright was directing the Premier episode.

You guys seen it?

Gandalf de Grijze

#7 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 10 Oct 2009 14:33

not being aired here in holland, plus i prefer watching them on dvd. and still need to buy teh last 2 seasons of Atlantis
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Mackasfour

#8 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 14:39

I have barely seen any Atlantis, first 3 episodes me thinks... Gotta buy season 5.

Mackasfour

#9 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 15:07

Ok then, those that have seen it, what did you think of the last episode, season 10.

I have already shared my opinions in the Random thoughts thread.

Gandalf de Grijze

#10 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 10 Oct 2009 15:47

i think the idea was interesting.. but the way they did it was a bit of a letdown

Mackasfour

#11 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Oct 2009 16:26

Indeed, the Asgard show out of nowhere (hadn't been seen since S9 if I remember correctly) and they all of a sudden say, we're dying... here's our junk *BOOM*.... then they roll the starting credits, saw it for the first time and I was like, "WTF IS THIS SHIT!!!".

Shame the most awesome race gets killed off in a stupid fashion.

Mackasfour

#12 Post by Mackasfour » 11 Oct 2009 03:11

Gandalf de Grijze

#13 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 11 Oct 2009 09:35

Mackasfour

#14 Post by Mackasfour » 11 Oct 2009 10:20

LOl yeah, I remember that

No‘am

#15 Post by No‘am » 11 Oct 2009 11:13

There was full nudity at some point, right?
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Mackasfour

#16 Post by Mackasfour » 11 Oct 2009 11:19

??? :?

Mackasfour

#17 Post by Mackasfour » 11 Oct 2009 11:23

Oh wait, never mind, I remember... Children of the Gods premier episode... yeah

No‘am

#18 Post by No‘am » 11 Oct 2009 11:27

Only one episode?
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Mackasfour

#19 Post by Mackasfour » 11 Oct 2009 11:29

yep

Kyhdän kanssa tuomme

#20 Post by Kyhdän kanssa tuomme » 12 Oct 2009 02:24

Never really been too much of a Stargate fan, also, it some times reminds me too much about go go power rangers /gitar solo.

Some just look a tad too much tokusatu if you like. And plots gets a bit too thin at various points and after six seasons it starts to get twisted up in its own hacks on their background mythology. And how Jackson was written out and in again was really obvious an actor and not writer decision.
Kahdeksaksi, minä noen kanssasi kyrjään, joiden tähden ja sinun kiitiä, oletko, jo?

Mackasfour

#21 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 04:20

He was written out once because of his own issues :mrgreen:

Gandalf de Grijze

#22 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Oct 2009 08:52

he wanted to do more stage acting

but i find Shanks an incredibly gifted actor.. i love the episodes that evolve around him. the time he got hooked on teh sacophagus.. the time he got 14 people in his head

simply BRILLIANT acting

Mackasfour

#23 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 08:59

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: the time he got 14 people in his head
That episode was awesome, what's it called again?

Little Dragon

#24 Post by Little Dragon » 12 Oct 2009 11:50

i still love 'ascension'. :)
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Mackasfour

#25 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 12:03

I'm not really episode name savvy
which?

Kyhdän kanssa tuomme

#26 Post by Kyhdän kanssa tuomme » 12 Oct 2009 12:46

Mackasfour wrote:He was written out once because of his own issues :mrgreen:
Yeah, I know but the way he quit really looked like it too much, as a writer you have some options then. Either you kill them off which could actually make a great, great show like DS9's 'Tears of the Prophets' but loses the character and a chance of it going back unless you make some really absurd and corny plot points which only work in comics.

Or you 'put them on a bus', you keep the option of getting them back but it's hard to pull this of right without it looking really corny.

Earth: Final Conflict though did put some characters on buses in some very good ways, also killed a lot off but some characters put on buses became interesting recurring characters in their own right. It's also not that 'Ah, out of the series, never mentioned again', kind of thing, they were mentioned and their actions still had consequences in the series.

But ascending Jackson was a bit corny, especially the descending was even more awkward.

And a show like StarGate really starts to get tied up in its own backstory after so many seasons. EFC had this problem in its four seasons (there is no fifth, the show ended on an open ending, no matter what they tell you, there is no fifth season)

It was an interesting concept and I like religious and mythological sci-fi, but in the end the execution at a lot of points was too corny. Also the strange fact that the entire universe speaks English is a bit strange... at least FarScape had 'translator microbes'.
Kahdeksaksi, minä noen kanssasi kyrjään, joiden tähden ja sinun kiitiä, oletko, jo?

Mackasfour

#27 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 13:06

I found nothing wrong with his ascension or descension, it's not like the descension was pulled out their ass. Jackson was a perfect character to fi both those bills.

Not all races in the universe spoke english, nearly all did, but not all. Which, Brad Wright has said it would make it worse if they were realistic about communicating with another race.

Kyhdän kanssa tuomme

#28 Post by Kyhdän kanssa tuomme » 12 Oct 2009 13:18

Mackasfour wrote:I found nothing wrong with his ascension or descension, it's not like the descension was pulled out their ass. Jackson was a perfect character to fi both those bills.
Nahh, Jackson wouldn't give up his friends just for some ascension, it was out of character for him. He's too modest for that.

Now, O'Neal would just quip some line like 'Well beam me up Scotty then.' on the first proposal without contemplation and ascent.
Not all races in the universe spoke english, nearly all did, but not all. Which, Brad Wright has said it would make it worse if they were realistic about communicating with another race.
Yeah, but at least make some corny translation device, like say that travelling through a Stargate alters one's base language. Also meaning that communicating back to the base is difficult and can invoke some interesting plot points.

And also, I don't really like the corny nature of humans solving problems that the Asgard couldn't supposedly by 'being stupid', that's not realistic and corny. The thing about intelligence is that if you're smart you can also be stupid by will but not the reverse.

Lastly... this 'humans are the centre of the galaxy' thing that a lot of sci-fi does. 'Humans are the founding and most important species in an intergalatic foederation and Earth is its capital.', 'Humans are the most important species of the Galactic Republic found at all spots.', 'humans have special property x', 'special property y', bwergh

EFC started nice on this by showing humanity to be a small and humble player in the galaxy amongst such vast mights as Taelons and Kimera, but then started to stroke the human ego by claiming that humans were still 'special' in some way because they were the only sapient species that were still primitive enough to have a drive to survive, but advanced enough to comprehend technology. And in the end they even hinted that all those advanced species were actually less intelligent than humans and advanced at a much slower pace, but had simply much older civilizations.

So in the end, maybe StarCraft? which doesn't overromanticizes the human plight and being and pretty much shows exactly what we are, a bunch of corrupt, power-hungry people that just try to survive and find enough food to see the next day.

Mackasfour

#29 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 13:36

On another note, it's a shame we never got to meet the furlings (except for 200 which was a joke)

Kyhdän kanssa tuomme

#30 Post by Kyhdän kanssa tuomme » 12 Oct 2009 13:41

Really? I didn't last that long though, but they really never surfaced?

They're probably some furry monkeys. Alliance of the four great races aight.

Mackasfour

#31 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 13:55

Like from the episode Citizen Joe, they sound like ewoks :lol:

majesty

#32 Post by majesty » 12 Oct 2009 16:22

I started watching Stargate Atlantis a few weeks ago, my brother likes it so much and so I tried it too...and it´s not bad :P
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

Mackasfour

#33 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Oct 2009 17:03

I should start watching Atlantis again

Sleeping Dragon

#34 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 13 Oct 2009 12:15

aww, come on. atlantis is way way worsethan sg1. bad acting, HORRIFICLY bad makeup and the whole "feeding on the life force of human vampires" thing was annoying since day 1.

at least sg1 had some general plot advancement from time to time.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Mackasfour

#35 Post by Mackasfour » 13 Oct 2009 12:20

I think SG-1 is the better, but that doesn't mean I can't watch Atlantis

Gandalf de Grijze

#36 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Oct 2009 13:30

i kindof like teh sucking life thing

Tanelorn

#37 Post by Tanelorn » 14 Oct 2009 19:42

woah.. i think it's pretty hard to talk about 15 seasons of stargate in a post..

i've seen all of both series, along with the movies.. I think it was quite good and i'm quite sad both shows were cancelled.. But it was obvious this would come to this after so much time.

still waiting for the Atlantis movie.
Not now...

Gandalf de Grijze

#38 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 14 Oct 2009 21:33

HELL YEAH!!!

Mackasfour

#39 Post by Mackasfour » 15 Oct 2009 01:18

And the 3rd SG-1 movie!

Tanelorn

#40 Post by Tanelorn » 15 Oct 2009 15:35

Mackasfour wrote:And the 3rd SG-1 movie!
[smartass]
Well, there is already 3 SG-1 movies

- Stargate
- Ark of Truth
- Continuum
[/smartass]
:P

but seriously, there is another sg-1 movie on the way ?
Not now...

Gandalf de Grijze

#41 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Oct 2009 16:05

Stargate the movie is NOT an SG-1 movie ;)

Tanelorn

#42 Post by Tanelorn » 15 Oct 2009 16:11

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:Stargate the movie is NOT an SG-1 movie ;)
yeah, i thought somebody would say that ! :mrgreen:
Not now...

Mackasfour

#43 Post by Mackasfour » 15 Oct 2009 16:12

Yeah, I hear it's been confirmed, though they may have trouble with funding.

Mackasfour

#44 Post by Mackasfour » 31 Oct 2009 10:16

SGU is good so far. Off to a slow start but it is looking to be a very good series. Robert Carlyle is amazing in this :mrgreen:

power_dysfunction

#45 Post by power_dysfunction » 09 Nov 2009 08:22

On your summation of SGU: Agreed. Certainly enjoying it, but not yet blown away.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

1by4by9

#46 Post by 1by4by9 » 24 Nov 2009 14:21

I like SGU a lot as well. I actually like the "slow start", plenty of time to get into the characters and their relations among each other. I hope they keep this level all the way. The slow buildup will accelerate soon into something awesome. :)

Mackasfour

#47 Post by Mackasfour » 25 Nov 2009 07:06

I have last weeks episode recorded though I can't be bothered watching it :P It's still going nice and steady though I do wish it will pick up. Halfway through season 1