Classical Russian Novelists

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Belgarion

Classical Russian Novelists

#1 Post by Belgarion » 24 Mar 2009 14:55

I'm talking about Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Leo Tolstoy, Maxim Gorky, Turgenev and many other great authors of the classical Russian literature.

Anyone else obsessed with their writings? Read their novels? There is something to these authors thay I can't easily explain. It's like they came and gone forever.

Sure, there are great writers such as Albert Camus, Franz Kafka, Hermann Hesse, Knut Hamsun, Sabahattin Ali, and the earlier giants like Goethe, Montaigne and Cervantes; but still...

Among all pieces of literature I've read, nothing could match the style and the rich content of Russian classics written by these handful of authors.

I've purposefully left out the philosophical side as a prominent feature of their works, because even though these writers are also philosophers themselves and their masterpieces are good examples of their wisdom in this field, it would be unfair to many great philosophers like Kant, Schopenhauer etc.

What is your opinion on the classical literature?
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Belgarion

#2 Post by Belgarion » 27 Mar 2009 19:28

So nobody is interested in Russian novelists here? :(
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

Skyclad

#3 Post by Skyclad » 27 Mar 2009 20:59

In Soviet Russia, Russian novelists are interested in YOU!
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

Belgarion

#4 Post by Belgarion » 27 Mar 2009 22:19

Except they are dead. :(