30 second Sample . Sentry Ward - GIVE FEEDBACK :-)

A place for musicians to talk about equipment, production, compositions, get demo feedback, etc.
teo_guardian

30 second Sample . Sentry Ward - GIVE FEEDBACK :-)

#1 Post by teo_guardian » 10 Oct 2011 23:47

Hello guys we are Sentry Ward and we just uploaded a 30 second sample of one more song of ours
check it out ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nl4n5IV ... ideo_title
Last edited by teo_guardian on 01 Nov 2011 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

somnia

Re: 30 second Sample . Sentry Ward

#2 Post by somnia » 20 Oct 2011 12:18

Thanks to my lurking nature, I've been watching Sentry Ward from a distance ever since I heard the name here. At first it was just curiosity, I wondered how things would go for a project that's more about doing the music than just putting out a song and marketing itself (since I was planning to do the same) - then it got better. Because, you see, I don't really like straight up power metal for a couple of years now, I have no sympathy for Hammerfall or Sonata Arctica or whatever. I just open up and listen to what I used to like at the time, in a nostalgic way. But I like this. Your songs are - the ones I heard till now at least - not lame, not cheesy, not simple and not at all boring. So, just put that album up somewhere like Bandcamp and take my money already. :)
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

teo_guardian

Re: 30 second Sample . Sentry Ward

#3 Post by teo_guardian » 26 Oct 2011 13:29

Thanks a lot for the great words!! :wink:

yeah that's what we try to do with Sentry Ward.Keep the spirit but leave behind the cheesiness and simplicity...
and i can assure you that you'll see it even more in other songs from our album when it's ready because we
have a lot of progressive elements in them.We are becoming power-progressive and the whole thing is becoming
very interesting for us and for everyone that hears it...
and people such as you with so nice comments give us strength and hope that we can continue and make great
music!!you really help a LOT ! i could say that's one of the biggest motives to keep writing great music.when you
know that there is people out there who really wants it

Desert_Storm

Re: 30 second Sample . Sentry Ward - GIVE FEEDBACK :-)

#4 Post by Desert_Storm » 03 Nov 2011 21:28

Well since you asked for feedback here you go:
First let me say that I don't really listen to powermetal any more (except for a few bands) since for my taste the music has become too repetitive and worn out, so maybe some things that I don't like about it aren't so much about your band but more about the genre ;) You therefor shouldn't take it too personal if I say that I find the drums mostly boring, would like to hear a bass guitar that is used for more than just some lower frequencies of the guitar or that the rhythm guitars could do with some more creativity, so that's why I probably would not buy the album (I wouldn't buy any metal album with drum computers on it anyway).
However, I think you got some nice moments in it, I especially like the acoustic interludes, the not A-B-A-B-style songwriting, that there are peaks besides the chorus and that there are relatively many different hooklines within one song and that you avoid the typical cheesiness (for the most parts). I think besides the general points above that it would be good if you would do some work on your voice, I found it quite good in some parts, not too convincing in others but nowhere really outstanding. Other than that, I think that it's quite good power metal.
Another thing, did you notice that in Waiting For Eternity the part starting at 3.30 sounds quite similar to the 2.40 part in sonata arctica's flag in the ground?

I hope that this is constructive enough so that you have some use for it.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

teo_guardian

#5 Post by teo_guardian » 04 Nov 2011 04:59

Thanks for the nice words :D
Desert_Storm wrote:it would be good if you would do some work on your voice
Yeah there is plenty of room for work there :)
Desert_Storm wrote:did you notice that in Waiting For Eternity the part starting at 3.30 sounds quite similar to the 2.40 part in sonata arctica's flag in the ground?
not at all actually :p...the parts have really not any similarities...i mean if these 2 sound similar to each other then all songs could sound similar to anything

Desert_Storm

#6 Post by Desert_Storm » 04 Nov 2011 16:55

teo_guardian wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote:did you notice that in Waiting For Eternity the part starting at 3.30 sounds quite similar to the 2.40 part in sonata arctica's flag in the ground?
not at all actually :p...the parts have really not any similarities...i mean if these 2 sound similar to each other then all songs could sound similar to anything
well, I meant the part starting at 2.47 in the sonata song... Anyway it sounded more similar yesterday ;) I still think there are some similarities though, just to show you what I mean: your progression goes Eb minor - B major - Db major - Eb minor, Sonata uses the same progression there (if transposed from the original key of E minor down a semitone to Eb minor) in a similar tempo and the same meter with a melody in the same range of the Eb aeolian scale and in a similar rhythm on top of it. To write the melody out would show the similarities, but what the hell^^ Play it on the piano, maybe you'll get what I mean.
Of course I'm not saying you copied it or anything, the part just instantly reminded me of that in flag in the ground and I wondered whether this was intentional, but of course many parts in many songs sound like many other parts in many other songs ;)

teo_guardian

#7 Post by teo_guardian » 04 Nov 2011 17:24

yeah i totally understand what you mean .i know what i write in complete detail.
but really the chord progression is waaaay too common so that's why i said that it could sound like a million more songs also.
and another reason is that i know of something else that is waaaaay more similar to that but i don't tell you what it is :mrgreen: ..i realised it 2-3 months after i wrote the part
and said wow! :p ..

oh and the progression is Ebminor, Cb major, Dbmajor .It's on Eb minor.there is no B major there.
and no Cb is not the same with B :P

Desert_Storm

#8 Post by Desert_Storm » 04 Nov 2011 22:08

teo_guardian wrote: oh and the progression is Ebminor, Cb major, Dbmajor .It's on Eb minor.there is no B major there.
You are of course correct
... and no Cb is not the same with B :P
... and I know that ;) It's that I just played it on the piano where C flat and B natural are similar enough ;)