webzine review: worth to bother sending physical disc?

A place for musicians to talk about equipment, production, compositions, get demo feedback, etc.
Narmoth:

webzine review: worth to bother sending physical disc?

#1 Post by Narmoth: » 11 Sep 2011 21:30

Hi, my band has just recorded it's first demo (www.facebook.com/dreamslain if you would like to check it out), and I have been looking for places to get it reviewed to get good advice what to focus on improving.
Now, we've printed 100 copies, and we're sending them to physical magazines for demo review, and we've sent to Scandinavia webzines since we're ourselves from Norway, but the question is:

Is there any reason to bother to send in physical format to magazines that themselves don't come out in physical format?

Because some webzines insist that I should send in physical format to be prioritized. The problem is that I have no way to judge if a webzine is popular or not just by googling for metal zines. And so I don't know if it's a professional publication like the norwegian heavymetal.no, or a guy in his parents basement who's reviews are read by his 3 friends and his mother.

Any advise?
check out my band:
heavy metal / melodic death from Northern Norway
http://www.facebook.com/dreamslain

t.a.j.

Re: webzine review: worth to bother sending physical disc?

#2 Post by t.a.j. » 21 Sep 2011 08:57

This is the future.
Up your album on rapidshare or something, or on your own webspace and e-mail people the link. Who has CD players anymore anyway?
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Andreas

#3 Post by Andreas » 24 Sep 2011 00:55

Call me old-fashioned then, but I highly prefer physical CDs ;)

Anyway, Ferdi was reviewer of a webzine. He should know about this.

Desert_Storm

#4 Post by Desert_Storm » 28 Sep 2011 22:45

If it's a good and popular webzine I would definitely send them a physical disc - a good review in a zine with a diverse readership is probably the best promotion you can get outside your area (if you're not touring the world).
If it has an audience or not, I think that can't be so difficult to find out. Reader comments, google rankings, general looks of the page, list of reviewers etc. should give you a pretty good picture. I don't read much metal magazines (physical or web-based) anymore these days, but independent of the musical style I found it always quite easy to tell good zines from bad ones.

Good luck!
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language