Mic Choices

A place for musicians to talk about equipment, production, compositions, get demo feedback, etc.
Baby_Kürsch

Mic Choices

#1 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 10 Feb 2011 03:11

Im looking for a good mic for deeper growlie type vocals and have no real idea what Im looking for. Dont need to get the best of the best right now but any suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

innerdream

Re: Mic Choices

#2 Post by innerdream » 14 Feb 2011 21:14

if you want a really clean sound go for a condenser mic, if you want a rock n roll gritty sound go for a dynamic mic

I would recommend looking on thomann.de - got loads of great stuff on there

Desert_Storm

#3 Post by Desert_Storm » 15 Feb 2011 04:23

Depends on whether you want to use it live or for recording, or both.
Generally, I would look for something like the classic shure sm58, which is generally used quite often for vocals no matter what style, mostly live but also in studio sometimes. Most death/black/core/cookiemonster vocalists I know prefer to hold a microphone and be quite close to it, no matter what situation, and that could be a problem when using a condenser microphone in studio, and it goes without saying that those mics are almost completely useless in live situations.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Baby_Kürsch

#4 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 17 Feb 2011 03:43

Honestly Im not 100% sure if Im going to go clean or harsh. Ive had many conversations with my guitarist about this. He is very Dimebag Darrel/Zakk Wylde influenced when it comes to playing guitar and Im not sure if harsh vocals will fit that style. But we are just in the beginning stages of figuring out what our sound is going to be. I dont really know anything about mics or how to go about choosing them.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

innerdream

#5 Post by innerdream » 17 Feb 2011 21:51

the website thomann.de has an online guide as to what microphones would be best for your style - you can also filter from that the best mics that would be best for you - I get most of my studio stuff from there and IMO is the best site on the web for studio gear

End Of An Era

#6 Post by End Of An Era » 06 Mar 2011 17:12

my advice is to go to a big music store where you can try different types and brands mic. I am singing with a shure SM58, occasionally with a Behringer XM8500. Basically the same mic ;) My vocalwork varies from clean/ballad to russel allen/john oliva style vocals

I've tried some other mic's aswell and there's quite some variation all in all! go to a musicstore, explain the case and let the store clerks help you make a desicion. :)

teo_guardian

#7 Post by teo_guardian » 07 Apr 2011 23:31

In these two songs the Vocal recordings were made with this mic: http://www.thomann.de/gr/sennheisere_906.htm
I liked this baby ^^ ..it served me well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2PUA_4s ... ideo_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaOWPMzM ... ure=relmfu

T3hOverlord

#8 Post by T3hOverlord » 14 Apr 2011 04:16

Hey teo, has anyone told you that you sound like Chris De Burgh?

teo_guardian

#9 Post by teo_guardian » 14 Apr 2011 19:15

T3hOverlord wrote:Hey teo, has anyone told you that you sound like Chris De Burgh?
A lot of people told me i sound like Serj Tankian...i can see the similarities there
A few others told me i sound like Hansi...i really doubt that.i don't hear anything like Hansi
And now you tell me about Chris De Burgh? hehe i really don't hear any silimarities to him too :p

T3hOverlord

#10 Post by T3hOverlord » 15 Apr 2011 05:42

well i just watched that video of you singing while recording your album (which, funny thing is, ive actually heard while browing through power metal on youtube but didnt know it was you :lol: ) and it really reminded me of chris de burgh. I'm not talking about Chris De Burgh when he started to do pop songs like Lady in Red and what not, but older Chris De Burgh (Spanish Train/Crusader era) Your accent and register are really similar to Chris De Burgh I feel. Of course you are not exactly alike, Chris sings softer and not as 'metal'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6SkaFMTihI
im talking like 2:40 when he makes his voice harsher than normal.

by the way awesome music, I really like Betrayer And Betrayed. Have you sent any of this to any record labels? (im sure you've been asked this before)

teo_guardian

#11 Post by teo_guardian » 15 Apr 2011 15:37

T3hOverlord wrote:Your accent and register are really similar to Chris De Burgh I feel. Of course you are not exactly alike, Chris sings softer and not as 'metal'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6SkaFMTihI
im talking like 2:40 when he makes his voice harsher than normal.

by the way awesome music, I really like Betrayer And Betrayed. Have you sent any of this to any record labels? (im sure you've been asked this before)
Well one sure thing is that he is a bit higher than me.

Thanks a lot for the comments...we are not a full band yet.When we are full we may send our album to record labels...yeah there's gonna be a full length album in some months with 10 great songs :-)

But even though we get great feedback everywhere on the internet i find it really weird that here on the Blind Guardian forum i posted our music and still we haven't got a single
comment from anyone :roll: .i guess they find it a bit cheesy but hey it's our first album.I think it's a good work for first album.I wrote "Waiting for Eternity" when i was 19.

T3hOverlord

#12 Post by T3hOverlord » 15 Apr 2011 18:48

cheesy didn't come to mind for me at all. But then again . . . I listen to Rhapsody :lol: . But seriously I will admit that Rhapsody is cheesy and your band is very low on the cheesy spectrum compared to even most power metal bands. Its really good and I cant wait for the full album!

teo_guardian

#13 Post by teo_guardian » 26 Apr 2011 04:16

T3hOverlord wrote:cheesy didn't come to mind for me at all. But then again . . . I listen to Rhapsody :lol: . But seriously I will admit that Rhapsody is cheesy and your band is very low on the cheesy spectrum compared to even most power metal bands. Its really good and I cant wait for the full album!
Thanks a lot man!I hope others will see it that way too ...anyway the whole album will come out and you'll see more stuff there ;-)