What scales do Blind Guardian use?

A place for musicians to talk about equipment, production, compositions, get demo feedback, etc.
Raven_Wraith

What scales do Blind Guardian use?

#1 Post by Raven_Wraith » 10 Jun 2010 12:37

Hey there guys!

I'm new to this forum, just joined a few minutes ago :D

I'm sure has been done 1k times but could anyone please name the scales that BG use when they write their songs? cheers :)

Desert_Storm

Re: What scales do Blind Guardian use?

#2 Post by Desert_Storm » 16 Jun 2010 18:44

mostly really just major and (both natural/aeolic and melodic) minor scales. Of course, if you could mention a few songs/parts of songs I could tell you more about it, because just list all the scales they ever used seems a bit pointless to me :wink:
btw. welcome to [the slaughterhouse]/[dying] :)
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

spamel

#3 Post by spamel » 18 Jun 2010 10:38

I heard thee are quite popular, maybe they use them too:

http://www.scalesexpress.com/product.ph ... ctid=16273
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Desert_Storm

#4 Post by Desert_Storm » 18 Jun 2010 18:45

spamel wrote:I heard thee are quite popular, maybe they use them too:
http://www.scalesexpress.com/product.ph ... ctid=16273
:P
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

martinsteve97

#5 Post by martinsteve97 » 19 Jul 2011 11:22

Blind guardian always sounds like a metal band. They always use major scale modes only. Now the question arises what is metal band.These are chords or scale which are only used for playing metals.

Lorn_Songster

#6 Post by Lorn_Songster » 15 Dec 2012 18:18

forget about scales with them you focus on the chords changes and you got it, if you don't want to got crazy

teo_guardian

#7 Post by teo_guardian » 23 Feb 2013 04:37

the last two posts hurt my eyes

Lorn_Songster

#8 Post by Lorn_Songster » 02 Mar 2013 04:46

Youre welcome

Lorn_Songster

#9 Post by Lorn_Songster » 02 Mar 2013 06:23

I've been trying to get the scales from Somewhere Far Beyond and Tales From The Twilight World, for example Tommyknockers or Traveler in Time, and you can't get ordinary scales (ionian aeolic and modulations) from that songs in many occassions. You take the main melody of traveler in time and TELL ME WHAT SCALE IS THAT, the most similar is some weird Indian raga 10 notes scale at best! For tommyknockers its a true nightmare, with the scales shifting through the chords, to me its GENIUS, hats off to Andre, because they havent made it again. For Quest for Tanelorn, the intro follows some arabic pattern (great Kai Hansen here), and then the bebop scale its whats more fit through this song and other songs of the album (and its precedessor too) like Ashes to Ashes

Are your eyes still hurt? Havent ended yet,

because they use a lot of modal scales, from Dorian in Mirror Mirror, to phrygian to locrian (Tommyknockers is very close but its a real nightmare in reality, if you can explain me musically this one Id be very greatful )

So yes , use your ears and follow the chords (mostly the bass) and you can follow the vocal melodies nicely, for soloing Im not good at all, but I guess someone with good ears will prefer to learn them note by note by ear and the get accustomed to play over the chords. Well Im no musician at all, but I always wondered how the hell did they do it 8)

Gandalf de Grijze

#10 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 04 Mar 2013 11:14

I thought they were using dragonscales, since they are impenetrable
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Gardien Aveugle

#11 Post by Gardien Aveugle » 31 May 2013 17:15

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:I thought they were using dragonscales, since they are impenetrable
Best answer!!! :P :)

Rokubota

#12 Post by Rokubota » 26 Apr 2014 18:44

Lorn_Songster wrote:I've been trying to get the scales from Somewhere Far Beyond and Tales From The Twilight World, for example Tommyknockers or Traveler in Time, and you can't get ordinary scales (ionian aeolic and modulations) from that songs in many occassions. You take the main melody of traveler in time and TELL ME WHAT SCALE IS THAT, the most similar is some weird Indian raga 10 notes scale at best! For tommyknockers its a true nightmare, with the scales shifting through the chords, to me its GENIUS, hats off to Andre, because they havent made it again. For Quest for Tanelorn, the intro follows some arabic pattern (great Kai Hansen here), and then the bebop scale its whats more fit through this song and other songs of the album (and its precedessor too) like Ashes to Ashes

Are your eyes still hurt? Havent ended yet,

because they use a lot of modal scales, from Dorian in Mirror Mirror, to phrygian to locrian (Tommyknockers is very close but its a real nightmare in reality, if you can explain me musically this one Id be very greatful )

So yes , use your ears and follow the chords (mostly the bass) and you can follow the vocal melodies nicely, for soloing Im not good at all, but I guess someone with good ears will prefer to learn them note by note by ear and the get accustomed to play over the chords. Well Im no musician at all, but I always wondered how the hell did they do it 8)

it's funny because back in the days I had a friend who is a Classical guitarist and liked to visit my home quite often to listen to some BG solos but he never payed atention to Kai Hansen stuff like Hall Of The King or stufff like that, he always found Andre much more creative and interesting. I always thought that Kai Hansen was way better until 7 years ago when his solos bored me just like Schaffer's riffs does nowadays.

Jack09

#13 Post by Jack09 » 23 Aug 2017 05:06

Desert_Storm wrote:
16 Jun 2010 18:44
mostly really just major and (both natural/aeolic and melodic) Rachat de crédit minor scales. Of course, if you could mention a few songs/parts of songs I could tell you more about it, because just list all the scales they ever used seems a bit pointless to me :wink:
btw. welcome to [the slaughterhouse]/[dying] :)
how are you?