Electronic drums pads connection...

A place for musicians to talk about equipment, production, compositions, get demo feedback, etc.
Elvendi

Electronic drums pads connection...

#1 Post by Elvendi » 19 Nov 2009 14:56

Hi all, i recently bought an ashton electronic pad set and i want to find a way to connect it with my pc.. I have the guitar port from line6 whitch i use to connect my guitar with my pc, i don't know if this can help... So, does anyone know what i need or what i could do? Any help would be greatful...

power_dysfunction

Re: Electronic drums pads connection...

#2 Post by power_dysfunction » 20 Nov 2009 07:31

Does the pad set have a MIDI brain? I.e., something with MIDI ports? MIDI ports look like this:

If so, you'll need some way to plug these into your computer. Many computer audio interfaces and soundcards have MIDI ports, but GuitarPort doesn't, and if you have generic integrated sound in your computer this won't have them either. It's possible, but unlikely, that your drumpad set actually has USB output; you can plug that straight into your computer. Otherwise, you're gonna need to get an interface to convert MIDI to USB, something like this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMUXMIDI1X1
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Elvendi

#3 Post by Elvendi » 20 Nov 2009 13:48

It has a usb output that i have already connected with the pc but i don't knw wht to do after that :P How can i use it, there weren't any cd with some kind of software to use, or how to connect it..

power_dysfunction

#4 Post by power_dysfunction » 21 Nov 2009 11:07

Ok then, you'll need a drum plugin and software to host the plugin. You might check out the free version of Cantabile as a host. For drum samples, you might try the free version of Natural Drumkit. This is in .sfz soundfont format, so you'll need the free version of the SFZ soundfont player. Once you've downloaded and installed Cantabile and SFZ, you'll need to open Cantabile and browse to where you installed sfz, and find sfz.dll. Load this in Cantabile, and then load the .sfz of NDK free inside SFZ.

You'll want to have turned on and plugged in your drumset before starting Cantabile. Now launch Cantabile, click the Setup tab, and select MIDI Devices. Select your drumset. With SFZ and NDK loaded, you should be able to start playing and hear the samples triggered. You may however notice that there's a small delay between your playing and the sounds coming from the computer; this is called latency. To get true low-latency playing you will need a quality interface with ASIO drivers, however for now you can try ASIO4ALL. This will give you lower latency, but still not as good as a dedicated ASIO interface.

If you're serious about digital drums, you'll eventually want to upgrade to a real v-drum kit, an audio interface with ASIO, a better sequencer/host such as Cubase or Sonar, and a better sampled drum library, such as EZdrummer or Addictive Drums, or for even higher quality but more expense, Superior (which I use) or BFD.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Elvendi

#5 Post by Elvendi » 22 Nov 2009 21:34

Thanks for the info man, really helped a lot :D