Home-Recording Equipment

A place for musicians to talk about equipment, production, compositions, get demo feedback, etc.
Dentarthurdent

Home-Recording Equipment

#1 Post by Dentarthurdent » 20 Sep 2009 20:19

Heya!

I'm thinking about buying myself some equipment to be able to record my Bass-work, later maybe also Guitars and Vocals, in good quality at home. Is there anyone here with some experience in that area, who can recommend me something? I'm talking Hard- as well as Software here.

Good tips would be highly appreciated...
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Balmazer

Re: Home-Recording Equipment

#2 Post by Balmazer » 21 Sep 2009 00:59

I've heard Shure SM57 mic are very good for recording. If you're going to be recording with your computer (which will let you use digital amps and such) you might want to look into upgrading your soundcard, unless of course you have a good one already (doubtful). Personally, I just use Audacity to record (it's a free, I believe open source project). When recording try to record at a fairly high quality.

Saurius

#3 Post by Saurius » 21 Sep 2009 02:11

i myself use reaper. supports vst's and that is pretty handy.

i wouldn't invest in a shure sm75 though. for my vocal works i use the Behringer C1 condenser mic and it is a shitload cheaper. also i have a Alesis iO2 usb audio interface and a couple of good active monitors. that's all you need for bass, guitar and vocals imho. it's pretty good quality for cheap.

interface: http://www.thomann.de/nl/alesis_io2.htm
"Sing it you pussies!"

Dentarthurdent

#4 Post by Dentarthurdent » 21 Sep 2009 09:52

a Microphone isn't that high on my list, I'd go for an USB-Interface at first, as well. Atm I mostly need it to record Bass or Guitars.

Has anyone here worked with this baby already: http://www.thomann.de/de/line6_pod_studio_ux2.htm ?
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

Saurius

#5 Post by Saurius » 22 Sep 2009 00:16

i was thinking about that one, though i didn't go for that one since it lacks an midi input. but it is a good one though.
"Sing it you pussies!"

dsbente

#6 Post by dsbente » 12 Oct 2009 09:49

can anyone please recommend to me a good good guitar recording tool?
i mean, this is for those who have experience the equipment themselves...

thanks in advance

Dentarthurdent

#7 Post by Dentarthurdent » 12 Oct 2009 13:51

I settled on th Line 6 POD Studio UX1 now. Hadn't have the chance to really put it to the test, though.

Saurius

#8 Post by Saurius » 14 Oct 2009 13:23

@ dsbente: nick crow guitar lab + boogex cab simulator

the nick crow guitar lab has many different amps which you have to download seperatly. the boogex cab simulator works with impulses, wav's that recreate a sound of a cabinet. you can find shitloads of those online. good luck
"Sing it you pussies!"

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#9 Post by Metal Fan » 11 Nov 2009 01:23

Is there anything for guitars that you could record it and then put it on a laptop and edit it? Or just record it to the laptop for editing?
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

power_dysfunction

#10 Post by power_dysfunction » 11 Nov 2009 06:33

Yes, there are several ways to do this:

1. The traditional way. Put a mic (SM57 is commonly used) up to a guitar amp, and feed that into an interface.

2. Use a modeling amp (i.e. POD, etc), which will often have a digital USB or proprietary connection straight to your computer, or else a line-out that you can connect straight to any old soundcard (though you will eventually want a good interface for better quality).

3. Plug your guitar directly into a DI box or even an FX pedal, and run that into a soundcard or interface, and use a virtual amp and cab simulator on your computer. You will most likely want a good interface for this rather than a generic PC soundcard, as you'll want to be able to get low latency to hear the amped sound as you play.

Note: You do not want to plug your guitar straight into a soundcard; guitar outputs at instrument-level, whereas soundcard inputs are at line-level, and your signal-to-noise ratio will be low. You need at least a DI box or effects pedal, and preferably an interface. Recording from the headphone output of a normal amp will also not result in good quality.

I use the Presonus Inspire firewire interface; other good options for guitarists are the Line6 Toneport, which gives you most of the functionality of a POD on your computer, or even a regular POD, which if you use digital output will bypass the need for an interface. You'll then need recording software; if you plan to use a software amp simulation, you'll need recording software than supports VST plugins (or AU if you're on Mac). I use a combination of Cakewalk Sonar and Adobe Audition, but these are relatively expensive; a good beginner option is Cockos Reaper, which is very cheap and has an extremely generous, no-hassle trial version. Also, if you buy an interface, you'll probably get an 'LE' version of a host/recording software, from which you can upgrade to a full version at a discount.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Metal Fan

#11 Post by Metal Fan » 11 Nov 2009 06:41

My brother gave me a hole bunch of guitar stuff. I have a "sound prosseser" i think,cables, etc. One cord my brother gave me was to plug the "sound prosseser" (it looks like a peddle) in to the computer. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know what it will do or if it requires any software. So if I plugged that in to the computer what should I use to get it to sound better?

I hope that made sense. ;)
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

power_dysfunction

#12 Post by power_dysfunction » 11 Nov 2009 06:52

Err, I don't know, you'll have to tell me more about this 'sound processor' and the type of cable you have. Is it a regular audio cable, 1/4" (guitar jack-size) or 1/8" (normal headphone size), or a USB cable, or something else?

Metal Fan

#13 Post by Metal Fan » 12 Nov 2009 19:09

http://www.gigasonic.com/DigiTech-RP255/image-gallery/

That^^ Except its kinda blue and the knobs are different. The cord to plug in the computer has a USB (computer) on one side and a square kind of USB (guitar) on the other side. My brother said something like that's downloading different sounds, so, before I remembered this, I thought maybe you could record stuff from that to the computer. But I'm probably wrong, likewise. I'll go check on my cable.

The cable says "VTG Audio Low noise -instrument cable- Made in the USA" I think it would be 1/4 inch because it's not that small.

power_dysfunction

#14 Post by power_dysfunction » 12 Nov 2009 19:25

It says it delivers audio over USB, so essentially it's an amp modeler and computer interface in one. You should be all set with this; it also says it comes with Cubase LE, which you should be able to start recording with easily enough.

Saurius

#15 Post by Saurius » 12 Nov 2009 19:47

on my vst for guitars, i have to edit... Overloud TH1 > all guitar vst's
"Sing it you pussies!"

mitchlinley

#16 Post by mitchlinley » 13 Nov 2009 08:21

I believe your should not have a proper studio in your house you should have a good recording room & a proper software for the music composition.

Metal Fan

#17 Post by Metal Fan » 16 Nov 2009 08:14

Yeah right. I have a very, very small room. Maybe well move to Austin Texas and get a big house.

I haven't read the instruction manual on the peddle yet. (I have the tendency to figure things out by myself :roll: ) So maybe If I read more of it, I could figure out how to record stuff and not just save. Also I have a different model then that so it may be a little different, but it shouldn't be by much.

~Metal F.

halane34

#18 Post by halane34 » 03 Dec 2009 09:19

Yo no invertiría en una sm75 shure sin embargo. para mi las obras vocales Puedo usar el micrófono de condensador Behringer C1 y es un chingo más barato. también tengo una O2 Alesis interfaz de audio USB y un par de buenos monitores activos. eso es todo lo que necesita para bajo, guitarra y voz en mi humilde opinión. que la calidad es bastante bueno para barato.

seraulu1

#19 Post by seraulu1 » 21 Feb 2010 11:52

:D :D :D thanks for that!learn hypnosis